ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Madsen takes over at Cal

Unless the administration relents on their admissions policy for athletes Cal will be DII in no time.
The problems include admissions but go way beyond that. The recently fired coach did not develop relations with coaches and clubs and was in general a lousy recruiter. It wasn't that long ago that Cal had 5 star recruits and respectable standings in the Pac 12 but the last two disastrous coaching hires completely demolished the program. I'm a Cal grad and have watched games going back over 50 years. Even in the lean years, and there were many, the team had players that were fun to watch. Not the case, recently. But, with the portal and NIL basketball teams can be turned around quickly, and that is what Madsen must do. So, a Stanford grad as Cal basketball coach, and a Cal grad as Stanford football coach.

It is a tough road at Cal, but this is a strong hire. Mark Madsen has shown he can win at a West Region program. Recruiting will change some with a different level of player available and academic requirements, but Madsen has a blueprint on how to do this.

Which is an improvement from Jones and Fox.

Something that would be interesting is if he brought in a local coach for the staff. There are some good candidates Cal could look into.

It is a tough road at Cal, but this is a strong hire. Mark Madsen has shown he can win at a West Region program. Recruiting will change some with a different level of player available and academic requirements, but Madsen has a blueprint on how to do this.

Which is an improvement from Jones and Fox.

Something that would be interesting is if he brought in a local coach for the staff. There are some good candidates Cal could look into.

Like who?

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
Like who?
I have NO knowledge if these coaches would be interested, but I think both Lou Ritchie and Frank Knight would strong adds. The idea came from what Sacramento State football did with the Folsom HS coaches, Sacramento State basketball adding Loren Leath. Adds some local credibility and excitment in addition to what Madsen is bringing.

I have NO knowledge if these coaches would be interested, but I think both Lou Ritchie and Frank Knight would strong adds. The idea came from what Sacramento State football did with the Folsom HS coaches, Sacramento State basketball adding Loren Leath. Adds some local credibility and excitment in addition to what Madsen is bringing.

what makes you think he is better?
Can't go much worse than 3-29, so Im going to assume hes better. He will recurit, he was West Coast ties, hes from here. Mark Fox was the worst hire, did not recurit and was not a west coast person, fit matters more than anything in college.

Can't go much worse than 3-29, so Im going to assume hes better. He will recurit, he was West Coast ties, hes from here. Mark Fox was the worst hire, did not recurit and was not a west coast person, fit matters more than anything in college.
mick cronin isnt a west coast guy, andy enfield isnt a west coast guy, dana altman isnt a west coast guy and sean miller (this current zona team he recruited) those are who he is chasing.
mark fox has a record of 324-263 with 4 league titles with 10 times going to a post season tournament.
he didnt win at cal, but he had 8 guys from california on the roster with 3 being direct from the bay and 1 from sac.
was it the players? you gotta have doggs on the court. these bears aint got the dog in them.
the guy earlier said its more of what assistants you have that help with your recruiting.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
mick cronin isnt a west coast guy, andy enfield isnt a west coast guy, dana altman isnt a west coast guy and sean miller (this current zona team he recruited) those are who he is chasing.
mark fox has a record of 324-263 with 4 league titles with 10 times going to a post season tournament.
he didnt win at cal, but he had 8 guys from california on the roster with 3 being direct from the bay and 1 from sac.
was it the players? you gotta have doggs on the court. these bears aint got the dog in them.
the guy earlier said its more of what assistants you have that help with your recruiting.
They do not have 8 California scholarship players, they have 4 scholarship with 2 walkons (hyder and ragsadale didn’t play a minute) ……Thats 6 total…….2 scholarship Bay Area kids both from BOD, Robinson is a walkon……5 of their top 8 in their rotation are from 2 Ireland, Germany, Cananda and Australia

Fox wasn’t successful at Georgia either those titles were with Nevada which was 2 decades ago. He wasn’t a good coach in P5 conferences and shitty recruiter

They do not have 8 California scholarship players, they have 4 scholarship with 2 walkons (hyder and ragsadale didn’t play a minute) ……Thats 6 total…….2 scholarship Bay Area kids both from BOD, Robinson is a walkon……5 of their top 8 in their rotation are from 2 Ireland, Germany, Cananda and Australia

Fox wasn’t successful at Georgia either those titles were with Nevada which was 2 decades ago. He wasn’t a good coach in P5 conferences and shitty recruiter
all i said was guys from california. which there are 8.
i didnt say he was an excellent coach, i said he has california on the roster which means being a west coast guy isnt that important for the head coach.
the 4 scholarship players plus roberson were great high schoolers right? a poy, a guy who was a jordan brand roster player and #1 ranked.

So is it the players or the coach?
at UGA he went 163-133 with 6 winning seasons and 5 trips to the post season.

that was in a far superior conference that the P12 and MW.

it was tough at Cal for sure.

all i said was guys from california. which there are 8.
i didnt say he was an excellent coach, i said he has california on the roster which means being a west coast guy isnt that important for the head coach.
the 4 scholarship players plus roberson were great high schoolers right? a poy, a guy who was a jordan brand roster player and #1 ranked.

So is it the players or the coach?
at UGA he went 163-133 with 6 winning seasons and 5 trips to the post season.

that was in a far superior conference that the P12 and MW.

it was tough at Cal for sure.

He only made NCAA tourney twice at Georgia, making the NIT at a P5 doesn’t earn you any extensions or props

He was sub .500 in conference there, most P5 schools can rig their OOC schedule to end up at .500 that’s not a huge accomplishment, that’s why the conference record is more telling……his tenure at UGA mediocre at best I think it was more on the poor side

Roberson and Bowser were middle of the road 3 star guy none were top 150 player, Askew is decent player but missed half the season the other kid from San Diego is a freshman so who knows yet, but he went from a 4 star and crashed down to a 3 star after a severe car accident

Last edited:
all that said... you dont need to be a west coast guy to be the HC1.
we can decipher it all day. he made the nit and ncaa previously and cal hasnt since 16 or 17.
mike, ben and cuonzo arent west coast guys but they did ok.
making the post season is an accomplishment for any school.

tough crowd.. them BOD boys were all the rage...

Madson seems like a nice guy and all, but not sure he has enough head coaching experience nor does he bring enough star power to make recruits want to go there. They should have made a better choice considering the shape the program is in. I do think bringing in someone like Lou Richie would be a huge help though. And Cal needs all the help they can get!

It cal. This is not the job it once was. Hell, the guy over at st marys doesn’t want anything to do with it. I doubt the guy at usf wants the job. Talk about a toxic environment for athletics in general. Go woke and go broke. Welcome to cal mad dog. The bar has never been lower though.

Reactions: rwccaptain42
It cal. This is not the job it once was. Hell, the guy over at st marys doesn’t want anything to do with it. I doubt the guy at usf wants the job. Talk about a toxic environment for athletics in general. Go woke and go broke. Welcome to cal mad dog. The bar has never been lower though.
go woke? what are you even talking about.

Cal sports are/ have been i trouble for a long time way to much about EID down fall of america
Been a long coaching drought since likes of Braun, Montgomery, and Martin. And Martin was smart enough to realize I gotta get out of this mess when he bolted for mizzou. Can’t even fathom Braun getting fired for a nearly .600 winning % now. Place is a political cesspool of everything that is wrong with our current state.

Been a long coaching drought since likes of Braun, Montgomery, and Martin. And Martin was smart enough to realize I gotta get out of this mess when he bolted for mizzou. Can’t even fathom Braun getting fired for a nearly .600 winning % now. Place is a political cesspool of everything that is wrong with our current state.
I think keeping in focused on the basketball program, I would say it started going down the last year with Cuonzo, who left a pretty bare roster, then Wyking didn't do anything in two years and Mark Fox followed it up with four poor years.

That's a LONG time for a program to be dormant and thus has created a big hole Madsen and Co. will need to climb out of.

I think keeping in focused on the basketball program, I would say it started going down the last year with Cuonzo, who left a pretty bare roster, then Wyking didn't do anything in two years and Mark Fox followed it up with four poor years.

That's a LONG time for a program to be dormant and thus has created a big hole Madsen and Co. will need to climb out of.
Martin benefited from Montgomery and then had nobody coming back and this was pre transfer portal. He left a big void. His timing was perfect….. for him.
Mark did a good job at Utah Valley. Im pulling for him.

Cal and Georgetown - two traditionally strong programs who have been rendered irrelevant in the last 6-8 years and were absolutely miserable the last two. Both with issues in the way their programs have been administered from the University.

Will be interesting to see what Mark M and Ed Cooley can do to bring these programs back to being competitive in their leagues and nationally and how soon they can do it.

It may be woke but it aint broke.....in fact it appears to be thriving in most things except athletics

According to Forbes senior education reporter Emma Whitford, the America’s Top Colleges ranking considered factors such as alumni salary, which makes up 20% of the ranking model. Other factors include student debt, graduation rates and the number of Pell grant recipients each school enrolls. These numbers are gathered from two different data sources, Whitford added.

It may be woke but it aint broke.....in fact it appears to be thriving in most things except athletics

According to Forbes senior education reporter Emma Whitford, the America’s Top Colleges ranking considered factors such as alumni salary, which makes up 20% of the ranking model. Other factors include student debt, graduation rates and the number of Pell grant recipients each school enrolls. These numbers are gathered from two different data sources, Whitford added.
Talking strictly athletics.

Their non revenue and Olympic sports are pretty top notch traditionally, they have one of the most robust sports programs in the country for better or worse
Same with Stanford. Rowing, swimming, badminton, rugby. Honestly akin to club sports.

Interesting. Madsen has Bay Area ties, NBA connections, and coaching experience.

Cal should be an attractive place for athletes. Close to 2 NBA franchises, Bay Area NIL opportunities, Metropolitan area, etc.

Is Cal‘s academic requirements still anti- basketball/football?

what does woke have to do with athletics? what is the opposite? how does that translate to basketball?
It was Larry''s thinly vailed attempt to throw Politics into the mix.
He was getting away with it, until Streak jerked his neck back.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Cal men's hoops has sunk so low that home attendance slumped to just 2,182 fans per game this past season. That was the worst figure in all of big-time NCAA basketball. Revenue? Ouch.

You must live in a bubble. Carry on.
Point is CAL is not the desirable position it once was and there are lots of factors on why. And if you can’t see that then I can’t help you. And it will only get worse.
Cal is a bottom feeder of the PAC-12 for many reason, admission requirements being the main for recruiting and the administration putting education before athletics. But with the right coach and recruiting/portal they can be a team that has a winning record. No bubble, I live in the real world outside of conspiracies and delusions.

Cal is a bottom feeder of the PAC-12 for many reason, admission requirements being the main for recruiting and the administration putting education before athletics. But with the right coach and recruiting/portal they can be a team that has a winning record. No bubble, I live in the real world outside of conspiracies and delusions.
You don’t know cal well. Admissions for athletes is nothing like it is for even athletes going to UC Davis. Stanford draws a tight line and doesn’t budge. Cal does not and never has. Cal was never the bottom feeder. They are now.

You don’t know cal well. Admissions for athletes is nothing like it is for even athletes going to UC Davis. Stanford draws a tight line and doesn’t budge. Cal does not and never has. Cal was never the bottom feeder. They are now.
Dude, Cal has been a bottom feeder for the last 6 years. And were a middle of the pack team before that. Last time they won the conference was when is was the PAC-10!

Dude, Cal has been a bottom feeder for the last 6 years. And were a middle of the pack team before that. Last time they won the conference was when is was the PAC-10!
Cal has a history of success. Sandy Barbour was a nightmare for that school. Anybody who knows cal athletics has an understanding of the mess she made.
I’m pulling for mad dog. If he has a couple years of success he will be gone.

Cal has a history of success. Sandy Barbour was a nightmare for that school. Anybody who knows cal athletics has an understanding of the mess she made.
I’m pulling for mad dog. If he has a couple years of success he will be gone.
Barbour hired Montgomery, one of Cal's best hire's in recent years. Far better AD than MW or the current clown. But there's another reason you don't like Barbour

Reactions: BadBucks
Barbour hired Montgomery, one of Cal's best hire's in recent years. Far better AD than MW or the current clown. But there's another reason you don't like Barbour
Barbour fired tedford and hired sonny dykes.
There is no reason other than what she did to program.
If you think she’s good that is frightening.

Barbour fired tedford and hired sonny dykes.
There is no reason other than what she did to program.
If you think she’s good that is frightening.
Tedford was trending downwards and had them on the brink of probation due to low APR scores…….Dykes did fine everywhere else don’t think he was the problem

Big picture I disagree. He’s arguably the greatest coach in CALS history.
5 bowl wins, sent 40 guys to NFL. Has a ton of records and fans showed up. Christ, look what he’s done at frezzno. Reason jack Haener stayed . Had one bad year in 2012 at cal. Hardly a trend.

Big picture I disagree. He’s arguably the greatest coach in CALS history.
5 bowl wins, sent 40 guys to NFL. Has a ton of records and fans showed up. Christ, look what he’s done at frezzno. Reason jack Haener stayed . Had one bad year in 2012 at cal. Hardly a trend.
Im a diehard Cal football fan, they sucked ass 2010,11 and 12…..he gambled Otis and the NC crew of kids which failed, he lost Tosh his ace recruiter, cycled thru hella offensive coordinators and was about to be on probation for shitty academics……..why you stick with that at the time ? Who sticks with a dude who’s losing and about to put you on probation?

The party at Cal was over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT