ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Morris at Carondelet?

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
The rumor mill has Michael Morris, who coached the Vacaville Christian boys in 2015-16 and 2016-17, as the new girls' coach at Carondelet.

Went to Armijo and American River, played back east and overseas.

Hard to tell if he's ever coached girls: Went 32-21 in D5 boys, and his team was ranked around 800 both years. Was 2-2 in postseason

Don't know why he left ... and of course it's possible it's not him, and it might not be the same Michael Morris I found on the Internet.

But that's the latest in this drama ...

This is so crazy to me that a program doesn't have a coach yet especially a program with the talent and caliber of Carondelet.

Nothing here besides a guess, but could Carondelet turn to Margaret for a bridge year to keep the program steady and try again next year?

Morris did in fact coach girls last year at Vacaville Christian per max preps. They went 17-11 (also ranked about 800) and he was the co-coach of the year in the Sierra Delta League. The best team they played was Bradshaw Christian and they lost by 50+ each time. (Bradshaw was an 11 seed in d4, and made a run in the playoffs, but were by no means world beaters)

No idea what this guy is like as a coach (or even if this is true), but that is quite a jump from a team ranked in the 800s to a team that could be top 10 or so in the state. Interesting tactic...

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeWojokowski
Thanks for the catch on the girls' experience ... that will make a difference.

But the jump from D5 to this level is pretty significant. I've coached at both levels, though never as a head coach with talent like Carondelet, and though a lot of it is the same, there's still many adjustments that have to be made.

Luckily for me, when I went from Bentley to Campo, Campolindo was coming off a mediocre year and wasn't expected to do much better. We didn't, and I made my fair share of mistakes, but it didn't really impact the program much. I probably left two or three wins on the table for a variety of reasons, though Morris hopefully will avoid many of my errors.

I think Morris will make a positive impact, maybe not the results everyone expect the first year. But were talking about big shoes to fill. Congrats if he is selected.

Your rumor mill must not be working because last week you said Doug Vanderhorst was gonna be the next coach.

Valid point. For sure a playoff push

Even with a good team, it usually takes 2-3 years before a coach can really put his/her/they stamp on a program...especially with them hiring in Mid September. I'm sure they WON'T be holding any practices and ONLY holding legal NCS workouts just like everyone else. ;).

That was my opinion, not the rumor mill ... both, however, are unreliable.

August 29th

"The rumor mill says an announcement will come within the next couple days.
For what it's worth -- and given my track record of predictions, that would be "not much" -- I'll go with Doug Vanderhorst (Amador Valley, Dougherty Valley) as the new person in charge."

I'm just bustin' your balls, Clay. ;)

Reactions: OnBall8
No worries ... but note I said the rumor mill said the announcement would be in a couple days (which it wasn't). I thought it might be Doug, but the rumor mill didn't (and it was right).

Rumor mill: 1 for 2
Clay: 0 for 1

Of course, anyone who had Michael Miller as the next Carondelet coach, please raise your hand and go buy a lottery ticket.

Michael Morris, sorry ... and it may not be a done deal.

It's all very interesting. The job is posted on the Carondelet web site, and I've been told the posting just went up recently -- and the job posting says "For best consideration please apply by September 14, 2018."

So typically, you post a job for two weeks, and maybe it was on the website Sept. 1. Regardless, one would expect to go through two weeks of interviews -- which takes us to Sept. 28. Then a week to make the decision, and it's the first week of October and practice starts Oct. 29.

Now, if they've already done the interviews and are posting the job after making the decision, expect an announcement very soon, and expect the new coach to be running open gyms -- and for his sake, hopefully installing his system.

Or it could be they haven't hired Morris, and are just beginning the search. No one outside of Carondelet's administration can know for sure, but it certainly makes it fun to speculate.

Now I've heard there are complications ... the rumor mill may be wrong again ...

Rumor mill is telling me northbayguru is next in line to fill the head coaching vacancy at Carondelet High School.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
complications even after craig confirmed from his sources?? (who I assume to be mr bamberger)

I haven't heard anything since last week, so maybe it's all taken care of now.

Or not ...

The Carondelet reality show continues ...

Will be very interesting who Carondelet and Capital Christian hires. We shall see
soooo.. I'll ask again... are you the prostpects basketball academy coach?? I assume with a name like that you're not worried about anonymity, otherwise I wouldn't ask

Wouldn't it be interesting if Michael Morris wound up at Capital Christian? And does anyone have any idea why Suzanne was fired there? It sounds like parental complaints (most such changes do come from that) but after 25 years?

OK ... the rumor mill kicks into gear again: A coach -- not Michael Morris -- will be announced by the end of the week.

Given the track record of the rumor mill, however, I would not bet the rent. Or the coffee money.

The rumor mill has Michael Morris, who coached the Vacaville Christian boys in 2015-16 and 2016-17, as the new girls' coach at Carondelet.

Went to Armijo and American River, played back east and overseas.

Hard to tell if he's ever coached girls: Went 32-21 in D5 boys, and his team was ranked around 800 both years. Was 2-2 in postseason

Don't know why he left ... and of course it's possible it's not him, and it might not be the same Michael Morris I found on the Internet.

But that's the latest in this drama ...

Hey Clay, I’m curious do you know if Carondolet could potentially be excluded from Open division and required to participate in D3 playoffs this season since they did not participate in post season play last season. I’m not sure what the rules state. Thank you.

OK ... the rumor mill kicks into gear again: A coach -- not Michael Morris -- will be announced by the end of the week.

Given the track record of the rumor mill, however, I would not bet the rent. Or the coffee money.
Ohhh the turn of events. Definitely don’t bet your coffee money Clay!

As far as I can tell, the "rules" are very flexible. I doubt very much Carondelet would drop back to its "natural" division, which I think is D2, as "punishment." My sense would be that nothing will happen to Carondelet because they didn't commit an NCS violation, unless backing out of the tournament is covered in the rules, which I don't think it is. If there were to be a penalty, I would think it would be all or nothing -- that is, either they enter postseason in good standing, or they are not allowed in postseason at all.

It would unfair in the extreme to punish this year's team for last year's transgression, especially as both the coach and AD are no longer in the same positions.

As far as I can tell, the "rules" are very flexible. I doubt very much Carondelet would drop back to its "natural" division, which I think is D2, as "punishment." My sense would be that nothing will happen to Carondelet because they didn't commit an NCS violation, unless backing out of the tournament is covered in the rules, which I don't think it is. If there were to be a penalty, I would think it would be all or nothing -- that is, either they enter postseason in good standing, or they are not allowed in postseason at all.

It would unfair in the extreme to punish this year's team for last year's transgression, especially as both the coach and AD are no longer in the same positions.

I agree with ClayK..

ether CLET is not allowed in postseason at all....

or they are allowed all postseason access in good standing...

1 or the other...

Personally???

I believe no punishment will be coming...

I agree.. shouldn't be any punishment, they had cause to withdraw. Very unlike the situation with Serra and football a few years back

I think that if CIF was going to issue a sanction for being a no show to the Open tournament, the sanction would be to the program. Changes in personnel (coach, AD, players) would be irrelevant.

The bigger question is whether we are going to be talking about Carondelet as a premier post-season contender for much longer. Where is the administration philosophy heading? After this coming season's senior bigs are gone, isn't Carondelet going to be a fairly ordinary program? Are there any truly blue chip frosh coming in this season?

Great question ... so from my perspective, first, is that blue-chip middle-schoolers don't wind up at certain high schools by accident. "Recruiting" might be too strong a word -- or it might not -- but certainly "encouragement" and "helping players explore their options" are in the ballpark.

In my experience, one major factor in where girls go to high school (and they almost always have a choice if they "explore their options") is where their friends are going to high school. And most girls have a pretty good idea of where that will be by the fall of their eighth grade year. The reason? In part, it's because private school applications are due in the fall, and public school transfer processes also require advance planning. And perhaps more important, it's a big topic of conversation among eighth graders and consensus among groups start to emerge.

So what that means is that "encouragement" for the incoming class of 2019-20 needs to already have occurred for the talent pipeline to continue flowing for any school. The key encouragement for a serious high school program right now is with seventh graders for the 2020-21 school year.

Last year's Carondelet JV team was not a powerhouse. I have no idea if there are incoming freshmen who will make this year's JV team strong, but my guess is no, simply because it never appeared that encouragement of middle schoolers was a high priority for the previous staff (though I could be wrong, of course). It's possible, of course, that a horde of talented eighth graders are on track for enrollment in 2019-20, but given what happened at the end of last season, that seems less likely than in the past.

But what's worse for Carondelet, in my opinion, is that the long delay in hiring a coach means that encouragement for this year's seventh graders has not taken place, so that the likelihood of a talent surge in 2020-21 seems low.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about Carondelet's incoming freshmen and their future classes, as I don't really keep up with the club scene, but what I have learned over the years is that talented girls seldom just appear on campus. After all, there's a lot of money at stake for those girls (a college scholarship is worth $250,000 or so) so parents tend to think seriously about the various options -- and just going with the flow to the neighborhood school isn't always the best way to guarantee that scholarship.

Finally (apologies for the long post), it well could be that the Carondelet administration is less concerned with the quality of their girls' basketball program than we are on this board, and has set priorities in other areas. That's just another on the list of unknowns, but it appears to me, from the outside knowing nothing specific, that after this season, it may be a while before Carondelet is a NorCal power again.

Great question ... so from my perspective, first, is that blue-chip middle-schoolers don't wind up at certain high schools by accident. "Recruiting" might be too strong a word -- or it might not -- but certainly "encouragement" and "helping players explore their options" are in the ballpark.

In my experience, one major factor in where girls go to high school (and they almost always have a choice if they "explore their options") is where their friends are going to high school. And most girls have a pretty good idea of where that will be by the fall of their eighth grade year. The reason? In part, it's because private school applications are due in the fall, and public school transfer processes also require advance planning. And perhaps more important, it's a big topic of conversation among eighth graders and consensus among groups start to emerge.

So what that means is that "encouragement" for the incoming class of 2019-20 needs to already have occurred for the talent pipeline to continue flowing for any school. The key encouragement for a serious high school program right now is with seventh graders for the 2020-21 school year.

Last year's Carondelet JV team was not a powerhouse. I have no idea if there are incoming freshmen who will make this year's JV team strong, but my guess is no, simply because it never appeared that encouragement of middle schoolers was a high priority for the previous staff (though I could be wrong, of course). It's possible, of course, that a horde of talented eighth graders are on track for enrollment in 2019-20, but given what happened at the end of last season, that seems less likely than in the past.

But what's worse for Carondelet, in my opinion, is that the long delay in hiring a coach means that encouragement for this year's seventh graders has not taken place, so that the likelihood of a talent surge in 2020-21 seems low.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about Carondelet's incoming freshmen and their future classes, as I don't really keep up with the club scene, but what I have learned over the years is that talented girls seldom just appear on campus. After all, there's a lot of money at stake for those girls (a college scholarship is worth $250,000 or so) so parents tend to think seriously about the various options -- and just going with the flow to the neighborhood school isn't always the best way to guarantee that scholarship.

Finally (apologies for the long post), it well could be that the Carondelet administration is less concerned with the quality of their girls' basketball program than we are on this board, and has set priorities in other areas. That's just another on the list of unknowns, but it appears to me, from the outside knowing nothing specific, that after this season, it may be a while before Carondelet is a NorCal power again.

According to a parent who talked to the AD, the Morris hire is a done deal. I also learned that Morris operates "Morris Elite Basketball Academy" in Solano County. No "recruitment" issue, right Clay?

According to a parent who talked to the AD, the Morris hire is a done deal. I also learned that Morris operates "Morris Elite Basketball Academy" in Solano County. No "recruitment" issue, right Clay?

Now another parent says Morris has taken another position. Wow. Good thing they cleared out the C-let administration to make room for a new crackerjack team.

Maybe he took over at Capital Christian ...

OK, I'm not really serious. But stranger things have happened ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT