ADVERTISEMENT

Mission Hills-Salesian

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
It was methodical but controlling for Mission Hills in a 47-31 win.

Impressed with Mission Hills, who get Mitty on Monday

Reactions: QuallsBoy
Well, if you go by common opponent. SHC beat MH by three in OT back on Dec 3 in LaJolla tourney championship, at a time in which SHC was supposedly with a limited roster.

Mitty just beat SHC by 28 Friday nite. It will be a good game but I believe Mitty come out in top.

Well, if you go by common opponent. SHC beat MH by three in OT back on Dec 3 in LaJolla tourney championship, at a time in which SHC was supposedly with a limited roster.

Mitty just beat SHC by 28 Friday nite. It will be a good game but I believe Mitty come out in top.

I was at the game and Mission Hills had the game under control. But Sacred hit some huge shots and played well. Mitty is the favorite for sure, but don't be surprised if Mission pulls it out. I'm excited to watch it, good luck to both teams.

If Mission Hills gets hot from 3 it could be a long night for Mittty. They didn't shoot it well against SHC and that was early in the year. Mission Hills shoots it just as good as Clovis West they will just need to compete in transition. Can't judge a team by common opponents. It's about matchups and different teams match up differently.

If Mission Hills gets hot from 3 it could be a long night for Mittty. They didn't shoot it well against SHC and that was early in the year. Mission Hills shoots it just as good as Clovis West they will just need to compete in transition. Can't judge a team by common opponents. It's about matchups and different teams match up differently.
Nope, Mitty's length will cause havoc

Reactions: kkross22
A couple of things,

First of MH shot extremely well from 3pt against SHC 12-27 from beyond the arc. That's pretty darn good.

Secondly, SHC is no where near the defensive team that Mitty is.

I really hope MH presses Mitty full court because that favors mittys length and great ball movement. Also, if MH tries to run with them mittys depth will wear them out.

Like I said earlier, they appear to be gearing for March

I believe Mitty will take the W against Mission Hills by at least 15. IMO, Mitty is much more talented with a great coach.

Last edited:
Streak,

Do you have Monday's schedule? I've been looking for it but can't find it....thanks in advance

A couple of things,

First of MH shot extremely well from 3pt against SHC 12-27 from beyond the arc. That's pretty darn good.

Secondly, SHC is no where near the defensive team that Mitty is.

I really hope MH presses Mitty full court because that favors mittys length and great ball movement. Also, if MH tries to run with them mittys depth will wear them out.

Like I said earlier, they appear to be gearing for March

Yes they had 7 of those 12 3's in the first half and was locked down in the second half. So pretty darn good wasn't good enough. They will need to shoot it better than that against Mitty. Mitty is not that good of a defensive team in my opinion. If they were they wouldn't need to triple team players lol. They are long but don't guard well off the dribble. They are in great shape and to beat them you better be able to stop the ball in transition. Mitty doesn't shoot it well as a team from 3 so MH only chance is to get hot from 3.

QuallsBoy,

I did not say Mission Hills wasn't talented. I just said I believe Mitty is much more talented. But I don't proclaim to know everything, just my opinion.
As far as coaches, I am not really familiar with the Mission Hills coach, but I have watched Sue coach for YEARS, have heard her teach her philosophy, my kid has been to some of her trainings (USA), so based off what I know, she is definitely one of the best.
We shall see tomorrow. Wishing both teams the best!

Reactions: QuallsBoy
Yes they had 7 of those 12 3's in the first half and was locked down in the second half. So pretty darn good wasn't good enough. They will need to shoot it better than that against Mitty. Mitty is not that good of a defensive team in my opinion. If they were they wouldn't need to triple team players lol. They are long but don't guard well off the dribble. They are in great shape and to beat them you better be able to stop the ball in transition. Mitty doesn't shoot it well as a team from 3 so MH only chance is to get hot from 3.

Maybe I'm missing ur logic here, MH scored 35 in first half and 33 in second half of the game down south earlier this season. A two point differential is "lockdown" defense?

Come on, mitty didn't triple team anyone and they blocked 7 shots, out rebounded and got 17 steals.

They have played one the toughest schedules in the country and have been tested by the best around.

Come on, mitty didn't triple team anyone and they blocked 7 shots, out rebounded and got 17 steals.
I was also at the game, and really didn't notice any triple teaming of IT. And after all, how could Mitty get away with triple teaming IT if SHC has the best top to bottom talent around? You'd think such a talented team would be able to take advantage of one player being triple teamed. If they're going to have any chance in the next game against Mitty (or the one after that) LyRyan better point them to the baseline and run liners for a half hour every practice.

As I stated on another thread, AND these guys pointed out.. there was literally no triple teaming.. The talent around IT could not step up when plays needed to be made..

and based on your bias, when you say "Mitty isnt a good defensive team", are you saying that SHC is?? Because it was clear who the better defensive team was... one of them held a team that averages 70 pt/game to 51... and the other one gave up 77 to a team that averages 69 pts/ game...

and when you say "Mitty doesnt shoot it well from 3".. are you basing that on more than the other night when they shot 40% from beyond the arc? Because they shoot that as a season average, which is good for a team... And on friday, SHC was only like 1 for 10 from 3... so do they also not shoot it well from 3?

Facts work a lot better than your jaded opinions

Streak,

Do you have Monday's schedule? I've been looking for it but can't find it....thanks in advance
NorCal Here is what I received via twitter:

8:30 am: South Medford vs. Reed
10:00 am: LaJolla Country Day vs. Salesian
11:30am: Mitty vs. Mission Hills
1:00 pm: Clovis West vs. Centennial
2:30pm: SMS vs. Alemany
4:00pm: Vanden vs. Mark Keppel
5:30pm: Lincoln vs. Fairmont Prep
7:00pm: Modesto Christian vs. McClatchy
8:30pm: Heritage vs. Brookside Christian

NorCal Here is what I received via twitter:

8:30 am: South Medford vs. Reed
10:00 am: LaJolla Country Day vs. Salesian
11:30am: Mitty vs. Mission Hills
1:00 pm: Clovis West vs. Centennial
2:30pm: SMS vs. Alemany
4:00pm: Vanden vs. Mark Keppel
5:30pm: Lincoln vs. Fairmont Prep
7:00pm: Modesto Christian vs. McClatchy
8:30pm: Heritage vs. Brookside Christian

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing ur logic here, MH scored 35 in first half and 33 in second half of the game down south earlier this season. A two point differential is "lockdown" defense?

They have played one the toughest schedules in the country and have been tested by the best around.

Again WRONG! I'm watching the game right now and they definitely double and triple teamed IT. Rightfully so no one in the state can guard her one on one.

Reactions: MikeWojokowski
Again WRONG! I'm watching the game right now and they definitely double and triple teamed IT. Rightfully so no one in the state can guard her one on one.

I agree with you. Having watched IImar'I Thomas play in the West Coast Jamboree, she was unstoppable at times against the double teams and the press. What a beast of a player and outstanding ball control under those conditions for such a player of her size.

Well- if she was triple teamed I would think the rest of that "best talent around" would have had a great game? What happened?

I know I know,nobody can guard her and she still got her 25 and 15.

Mitty was soooo lucky they were up by 30 at one point so they could sit their starters the whole 4th quarter. They needed to rest up for the MH game

Btw,

Did you happen to see the horrible defense Mitty played against Mission Hills? They held them to a season low 38 points. Not bad for a bad defensive team.

sjbasket.. you mean the same Mission Hills team that SHC held to 35??................in the first half... o_O

I too just rewatched most of the offensive possessions for SHC.. sure there were double teams... when the monarchs were in a trapping defense.. meaning they weren't only trapping IT... or in transition they would occasionally send 2 players at the ball... again, that was not limited to IT.. other than that, like I stated before, help defense on penetration is NOT a double team.. the times AM players took away her ability to go right, it was pass, travel, pass, miss, charge, pass, ect. It didnt happen enough times obviously, but from my count she only made one field goal from the left side... force her LEFT...

I really don't see much changing the next time around.. IT will get hers, and SHC will be held below their season average as a team.

Have you guys ever heard the term "stat blast"? I hadn't heard it before, but a friend of mine used that term at the AM-SHC game last week. He was questioning why LyRyan still had IT in the game with less than three minutes to go, and SHC down by 25 - 30. IT was taking every shot with the AM starters and the other SHC starters already on the bench. I guess when you're seeking awards, those extra points and boards might make the difference? (To be clear, my friend was questioning the coach's action not the player's.)

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
Well- if she was triple teamed I would think the rest of that "best talent around" would have had a great game? What happened?

I know I know,nobody can guard her and she still got her 25 and 15.

Mitty was soooo lucky they were up by 30 at one point so they could sit their starters the whole 4th quarter. They needed to rest up for the MH game

Btw,

Did you happen to see the horrible defense Mitty played against Mission Hills? They held them to a season low 38 points. Not bad for a bad defensive team.

It don't matter what I say you just a hater in general. I don't care if you played the starters the whole game she still would have got those numbers. She had most of that in 3qtrs. Then turned around the next night and had 39 & 15 against a team that didn't double and triple team her. I'm a let you ride that band wagon right now and when they lose again in the end like they did last year we won't see you or hear from you. You rode that band wagon last year and what happened? Sues a great coach and they have a good team but they're not unstoppable. The OPEN is up for grabs so we will wait and see.

sjbasket.. you mean the same Mission Hills team that SHC held to 35??................in the first half... o_O

I too just rewatched most of the offensive possessions for SHC.. sure there were double teams... when the monarchs were in a trapping defense.. meaning they weren't only trapping IT... or in transition they would occasionally send 2 players at the ball... again, that was not limited to IT.. other than that, like I stated before, help defense on penetration is NOT a double team.. the times AM players took away her ability to go right, it was pass, travel, pass, miss, charge, pass, ect. It didnt happen enough times obviously, but from my count she only made one field goal from the left side... force her LEFT...

I really don't see much changing the next time around.. IT will get hers, and SHC will be held below their season average as a team.

Wait you first said she didn't get double teamed at all? Now you saying something different. If you got the film of the game and can direct you to several moments in a half court set where they sent double and triple teams ONLY at her. The first double team directly at her came at the 5:28 mark. Check it out. If you know basketball and understand schemes and concepts its not that hard to recognize. If you think the second time around won't be different then you don't respect their coach and his ability to make his team better. Mitty is at it's peak and will continue to be the same team for the rest of the year. SHC had 4 players out for a month and a half and 2 players that haven't played due to transfer rules. They will only get better. Good thing is they will play Mitty 3 more times this year so you will have to hear my mouth for at least another 2 months! :)

Luckily for all of us, they'll only play each other one more time. So we'll only have to hear your mouth for a couple more weeks.

Reactions: OnBall8
No hating here. I will say what I've said in the past. I really like IT's game and she will have good career at Cincy. I'm just a realist and SI will lose the two WCAL games to Mitty this season. If they meet in playoffs they'll lose a third time. The two teams are very far apart in so many areas. The matchups are not favorable at all to SHC.

I think next year is really when the two teams will be a bit more evenly matched.

No hating here. I will say what I've said in the past. I really like IT's game and she will have good career at Cincy. I'm just a realist and SI will lose the two WCAL games to Mitty this season. If they meet in playoffs they'll lose a third time. The two teams are very far apart in so many areas. The matchups are not favorable at all to SHC.

I think next year is really when the two teams will be a bit more evenly matched.

Good thing the games aren't decided by what we "think". Kids actually have to play the games. SHC will not be a D3 team they will go OPEN for sure. They will be playing in the CCS championship game against Mitty and that will send them OPEN. After that it will all come down to match ups and what teams have peaked at that time. SMS, Carondelet, Pinewood and SHC won't be easy outs for Mitty at that time. SHC and Pinewood will be the teams that nobody wants to play at that time. As we seen last year when Mitty drew Salesian and Moore when in there and gave them a 40 piece and sent them home.

I guess losing last year to Salesian in a game like that to the top Freshman in the PAC12 is something.

Good thing you didn't qualify for NorCal open last season because you lost to Pinewood by 18 in CCS open. That allowed you to go D3. By the way Pinewoood was team Mitty beat in the CCS championship by 19.

You are right the rest of the season will be fun watching the girls compete. Best of luck to all.

I guess losing last year to Salesian in a game like that to the top Freshman in the PAC12 is something.

Good thing you didn't qualify for NorCal open last season because you lost to Pinewood by 18 in CCS open. That allowed you to go D3. By the way Pinewoood was team Mitty beat in the CCS championship by 19.

You are right the rest of the season will be fun watching the girls compete. Best of luck to all.
The top freshman in the Pac12? A very good freshman in the Pac 12. Let's not get carried away. City Boy Brought up Mitty's loss to a lower seed team last year, you can't argue that. You have to take that one on the chin. I would stick to this year and not focus on Mitty's past failures in the open division.

Mitty should be #1 in the state and the favorite to win the open. No pressure.

What happened to the SMS vs. Mitty game?

Reactions: kkross22
Mitty was dealt a solid loss last year for sure and will look to redeem this post season.

They appear to be going in the right direction as we move in to playoffs.

In regards to the SMS game. It seems to be at the same time that Mitty went to Hawaii for the Iolani tourney.

I guess better to go to Hawaii

Your right it is something. That player and team peeked at the right time. All freshman team maybe freshman of the year, no. Sabrina will have something to say about that. Some of your comments don't make any sense at all. Do you even watch basketball or are you just talking to be talking. Your right they didn't qualify after losing to Pinewood in the Open CCS, who went on to beat SMS at SMS. However, beating Pinewood in the CCS championship didn't help them when it counted, did it? SHC did have to play D3 the same way Mitty lost the previous year and had to go back to the division and won state. That doesn't give one program an edge over the other. Mitty won their division state just like SHC did when put in that position. So what's your angle? That was Mitty's first Open CCS championship which SHC won the year before? I'm not sure where your going but it seems like a dead end. Match ups is what will determine the winner of the OPEN just like it did last year when Mitty and SMS both drew match ups that didn't favor them

Last edited:
Mitty was dealt a solid loss last year for sure and will look to redeem this post season.

They appear to be going in the right direction as we move in to playoffs.

In regards to the SMS game. It seems to be at the same time that Mitty went to Hawaii for the Iolani tourney.

I guess better to go to Hawaii
Yes, hawaii and go to stockton on MLK.. Good choice. Mitty will win open. One bad result so far this season does not make a team.

Your right it is something. That player and team peeked at the right time. All freshman team maybe freshman of the year, no. Sabrina will have something to say about that. Some of your comments don't make any sense at all. Do you even watch basketball or are you just talking to be talking. Your right they didn't qualify after losing to Pinewood in the Open CCS, who went on to beat SMS at SMS. However, beating Pinewood in the CCS championship didn't help them when it counted, did it? SHC did have to play D3 the same way Mitty lost the previous year and had to go back to the division and won state. That doesn't give one program an edge over the other. Mitty won their division state just like SHC did when put in that position. So what's your angle? That was Mitty's first Open CCS championship which SHC won the year before? I'm not sure where your going but it seems like a dead end. Match ups is what will determine the winner of the OPEN just like it did last year when Mitty and SMS both drew match ups that didn't favor them
Who is the early favorite in 2018? :)

Please tell me beyond IT, where the matchup favors SHC. Please enlighten us. Because the last three games they've played each other have had Mitty winning by 20+ each time.

I guess I was caught off guard by your expert analysis of Mitty being a bad defensive team or SHC having the best talent around. Silly for me to miss your expert analysis.

What's your next angle, SHC has better uniforms?

All kidding aside, I really hope for a competitive game on Feb 3.

They have the best player in the st
Please tell me beyond IT, where the matchup favors SHC. Please enlighten us. Because the last three games they've played each other have had Mitty winning by 20+ each time.

I guess I was caught off guard by your expert analysis of Mitty being a bad defensive team or SHC having the best talent around. Silly for me to miss your expert analysis.

What's your next angle, SHC has better uniforms?

All kidding aside, I really hope for a competitive game on Feb 3.

SHC has the best player in the state and just as good a supporting cast as Salesian had last year when they pulled off the upset. It was enough then and it's enough now. Coach Russell will figure out how to put the pieces together. I'm sure you were on here saying the same thing last year

Have you guys ever heard the term "stat blast"? I hadn't heard it before, but a friend of mine used that term at the AM-SHC game last week. He was questioning why LyRyan still had IT in the game with less than three minutes to go, and SHC down by 25 - 30. IT was taking every shot with the AM starters and the other SHC starters already on the bench. I guess when you're seeking awards, those extra points and boards might make the difference? (To be clear, my friend was questioning the coach's action not the player's.)

Your funny and on that same band wagon. The coach doesn't have to leave her in the game to boost her stats against non starters. Your questioning a good coaches integrity at this point. She scored the majority of her points in the FIRST half. Maybe he chose to leave her on the floor because as a senior that's her last time playing in that gym? Idk what it is but he doesn't need to leave her in the game to boost her stats. Hell she had 39 and 15 the very next night. Don't hate the player hate the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT