ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty v Etiwanda for the Open crown!

Etiwanda forces a 5-second call…

Hernandez scores on a runout after a rebound for Mitty! 60-55, 3:27 left…

Mitty rebound, bad pass trying for a fast break, Etiwanda ball…. Media calls time out, 3:11 left.

Cheli emerges from the trainer table, cheers from the Mitty faithful…. Will she try and play?

Cheli checks in!

Woliczko naiks 2 ft’s…

Cheli rebound, long pass to Woliczko, she scores!

Perfect pass, right on the money!

64-59 Mitty, 2:14 left.

Smith score for Etiwanda, they get a stop, long pass, score…. foul, ft ties it at 64.

1:21 left.

Cheli fouled, splits a pair…. 65-64.

Morris fouled, FT’s for Etiwanda. hits 1…. ties it at 65…

Cheli offensive rebound, fouled…

FT’s good, Mitty by 2.

Drive by Morris, fouled by Hernandez, her 5th….

FT’s both go, score tied…. Mitty throws the inbounds pass away!

Etiwanda time out, their ball, 19.4 seconds left, tied at 67.

Cue Bcool. It's all Sue's fault. No credit to Etiwanda and Stan Delus.
He is definitely gonna blame it on the coaches but I thought the team and Sue all had a great game. How Etiwanda pulled it off I have no freaking clue but I gotta give credit to their players and coaches. I thought NorCal was gonna bring it home. But Mitty represented NorCal well.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Cue Bcool. It's all Sue's fault. No credit to Etiwanda and Stan Delus.
Sue and Kelly get nothing again…so much for grabbing all the NorCal talent and
Losing to a public HS… all the advantages and still can’t win… another just average coach… nothing special

Sue and Kelly get nothing again…so much for grabbing all the NorCal talent and
Losing to a public HS… all the advantages and still can’t win… another just average coach… nothing special
This guys lives his life to hate on the top NorCal coaches. Down the stretch Etiwanda just pulled it out.

I agree with ClayK. 5 point lead with 2 minutes left, two time outs and game turned quickly. I’m new to board so not sure if it is appropriate to give examples so I won’t.

This guys lives his life to hate on the top NorCal coaches. Down the stretch Etiwanda just pulled it out.

It could have gone either way...getting to the finals of the open is a feat in and of itself. Well done, Mitty!

Great game, great passion sometimes the ball just doesn’t bounce your way and that’s why they call it basketball. I feel bad for Mitty they had them on the ropes.

Etiwanda is the best high school defensive team I've ever seen.

Best game of the weekend. The Stars shined and put on a show. Really a bummer Mittys star got hurt late but even with here out they had a chance to put the game away.
Sometimes it comes down to a hustle play when time seemed to have slow down on that last play.

One thing being over looked is that Etiwanda lost Majesty Cade who is a key player for them early in the third. She is a very significant piece of their success and I thought it would be over for Etiwanda then because you lose a lot of fight when you lose her. How Etiwanda found a way to win was just sheer determination. It was an amazing game that unfortunately didn't bounce the NorCal teams way.

Reactions: AtomicDawg1911
Very choppy game. No flow because of constant fouling -- and the fouls aren't the refs' fault.

But this kind of game favors Etiwanda. The more flow, the better for Mitty.
Looks like you were absolutely right on this call. Once the game got choppy and scrappy it became very familiar to Etiwanda. It was like they felt like they were home once it's got that way within the last 2-3 minutes. You called it.

Thanks. As my hillbilly father used to say, even a blind sow finds an acorn now and again.

But I think it's part of the maxim that styles make fights. If you can get the other team to play your style, then it's a big plus. When I was a head coach, my goal was for neither team ever to run a set play, because my teams were more comfortable just playing basketball than a lot of teams. If Mitty could let its depth and skill shine in a game with few whistles, the advantage shifted to the Monarchs. A game with a lot of fouls, and a lot of rest for the thinner Etiwanda team, helped the eventual winners.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Mitty was unable to implement their full-court press because of the speed and athleticism of Etiwanda. Also, the battle of boards was even. The Monarchs usually dominate inside. The difference in the game was probably the 21 Mitty turnovers. AM had the last possession but #15 Jordan Woods threw away the inbounds pass intended for Morgan Cheli. Maya Hernandez is regular inbounder but she fouled out.

Mitty led the majority of the game after the 1st quarter but came up short at the end, 69-67. ? Great game & tough loss for Sue Phillips & Co.

Archbishop Mitty will dominate Northern California again next season. Watch out for Oakland Tech upfront. They are graduating their top four guards so they'll have to find a couple players to fill the void.

It's tough for AM to lose two 21 game winning streaks at the state championships vs Sierra Canyon & Etiwanda.
The demographics of Silicon Valley (predominantly Caucasian & Asian) make it tough to matchup with some of these top nationally ranked teams. Sue Phillips just needs to keep her program rolling to get that 7th state crown.

Cheli going down really hurt Mitty. She was the only one consistently breaking the press. I thought Mitty (Sue) should have slowed the game down and milked the clock more in that 4th quarter, but it seemed like once they got the ball past halfcourt they were on such a frenetic pace they were throwing up shots with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Maybe that’s not in Mitty’s DNA, but I couldn’t believe they allowed Etiwanda to dictate the pace. Tough one to lose for sure. I really liked that guard and #11 Smith for Etiwanda, and they’re both back next season.

Cheli going down really hurt Mitty. She was the only one consistently breaking the press. I thought Mitty (Sue) should have slowed the game down and milked the clock more in that 4th quarter, but it seemed like once they got the ball past halfcourt they were on such a frenetic pace they were throwing up shots with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Maybe that’s not in Mitty’s DNA, but I couldn’t believe they allowed Etiwanda to dictate the pace. Tough one to lose for sure. I really liked that guard and #11 Smith for Etiwanda, and they’re both back next season.
Agreed. You can’t compare Cheli going down with the etiwanda girl fouling out. The Buck stops with cheli. She had the ball in her hands from start to finish and was able to draw so many defenders to her. That was such a bad break. Mitty was up by about 5-6 during that stretch. I actually thought Mitty was going to run them off court because etiwanda was getting tired and giving up layups.
The inbound pass was brutal and a few phantom foul calls on the etiwanda pg who flopped all game were brutal. I have a big problem with the kid who falls, stays on the ground forever, and in a miracle always pops up and is fine. How many times did she do that? You are either hurt or your not. This isn’t soccer.

#11 is a beast. Absolute animal for etiwanda.
Tough for anybody to lose this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT