ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery (Santa Rosa) Peterich Tournament

MontyBB

Rookie
Apr 24, 2018
The 19th annual Montgomery (Santa Rosa) Russ Peterich Tip Off Classic runs this Thursday through Saturday. Always one of the premier early season tournaments north of the bay and this year is no exception. Another outstanding field including many section and state qualifiers along with many outstanding individual players. Come check out some of the better bay area teams along with others from around the state. Here are Thursday's first round games:

4:00 Monte Vista vs. Pleasant Grove (Elk Grove)
5:30 Tamalpais (Mill Valley) vs. Campolindo
7:00 Galena (Reno) vs. Montgomery
8:30 North High (Bakersfield) vs. Cardinal Newman (Santa Rosa)

Same game times for Friday with game times Saturday being 12:00, 1:30, 3:00 (3rd place) and 4:30 (championship). Join us for some great high school basketball in the Redwood Empire.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Anyone have the scores from tonight? They haven't been posted at MaxPreps.

Friday Schedule for the Peterich Tournament:

Consolation Bracket:
4:00 North vs. Tamalpais
5:30 Pleasant Grove vs. Galena
Winners Bracket:
7:00 Cardinal Newman vs. Campolindo
8:30 Monte Vista vs. Montgomery

Anyone have the scores from tonight? They haven't been posted at MaxPreps.
Monte Vista beat Pleasant Grove 52-38
Campolindo beat Tamalpais 66-36
Cardinal Newman beat North 65-43
Montgomery-Galena score unknown

Buddy said Campo and Newman look to be the 2 best teams after day 1 but that of course could be matchup related as well. So Kidman, Campo vs Newman should be a good game to attend if possible. I might be at football. Campo just took James Logan to the wire in the in the Tipoff so this will be a good test of where Newman stands against some good comp.
Monty hasn't broken 40 points yet this year. Are they the new DLS of the NBL?

Time for Campo v Newman... Tip in 15 minutes.

In earlier games:

Tamalpais smacked North by something like 57-32, and Pleasant Grove nipped Galena by 2 in overtime.

CN recovered from that with 5 quick ones to make it 10-5, but the Cougs lead 20-12 after 1.

Aidan Mahaney hasn’t played for the Cougs... He was out there in warmups...

Thanks kiddman32! Friesh is tough for Newman. They are pretty long and athletic this year. This is a good test.

Cougs finish the half really strong to be up 38-29 at the break.

This despite Carter Mahaney having a tough night shooting outside so far, then going out with 2 fouls at the 2 minute mark.

Cougs are mostly getting just about any shot they want... If they get hot, they’ll be extremely hard to catch.

So far as CN goes, they are a solid and disciplined team... But can they match the firepower of the Cougs?

Gorgeous spin move inside by Campo’s “other” freshman, Matt Radall.

64-49 Cougs.

Campo wins 76-52... But I was impressed by CN, too.

Honestly, I think Campo has at least an outside shot at a NorCal Open berth... not that I think they could win at that level, but they may earn a shot.

Monte Vista v the hosts up next...

First thing I spot in warmups is Kris Bortz for MV... Dude is laaarrrrge! Listed at 6-7, but he might be closer to 6-9... And def. not a twig...

15-15 with 2:59 left in the half... Defense is dominating. MV with aggressive man to man, Monty with a very active zone.

34-24 end of the 3rd. On the last MV possession, Montgomery tried man defense, something they’ll need to get back in this one...

MV is a freaking machine... 46-29. 2:17 left...

I doubt my Campo Cougs can beat these guys tomorrow...

Meanwhile, the 3rd place game will be fun...

Courious what you think about the Montgomery v CN matchup? I heard Newmn lacks depth without the football athletes.......

That campo v.Newman final score looked bad

Did Rutchena play for MV? Would be a quick turnaround from football (was injured late in year too), but I thought he looked good over the summer to go with Bortz

Rutchena is #23 on the game program, but I honestly don't remember seeing him out there... Doesn't mean he wasn't, tho...

So far as the Newman-Monty matchup... Um, err... Should be a great one :)

The lack of depth on Newman mentioned above... That might be why they played so much zone tonight. I pay so little attention to the football side of things I don't even remember offhand what teams are still playing.

Courious what you think about the Montgomery v CN matchup? I heard Newmn lacks depth without the football athletes.......

That campo v.Newman final score looked bad

I didn't hear Newman lacks depth. I would say a true PG is a legit concern. They have solid wings and forwards and are athletic with at least 7-8 kids that can play. Leberthon and Woods will give them 2 more from Football with more size and athleticism. But both are college football prospects and not necessarily "basketball" players.
Montgomery must really have a hard time scoring or they are slowing things way down this year. They haven't broken 40 pts now this season on the offensive end. They always play really good D though so they will be in just about every game but against good teams you have to score.

I think Newman and Monty will be a very good game. First one to 50 wins. I could see it like 50-45 and a tossup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT