ADVERTISEMENT

My Humble Opinion

DLSPop1314

Hall of Famer
Sep 18, 2010
Sacred Heart Prep

I didn't really think I'd feel this way if Grant won. Grant is higher ranked and has played a better SOS. I'm not too overly influenced about the SJS getting a 2nd team vs the CCS Open winner.

I am influenced by being underwhelmed by Grant's sectional game, taking two goal line stands to win by a score over a team that has a loss to a team with 5 CCS losses.

I like SHP's story and would most prefer they play in NorCal's D3 game, but that's not going to happen.

What's swaying me are the reports regarding Grant's lack of sportsmanship.

I'm not a CIF criteria expert, but I know that sportsmanship is a criteria. Grant v SHP is a fair discussion just with regards to which team is stronger and deserves it more based on results on the field. Whether it's a factor or not (minor for me), they are the CCS team. If CIF doesn't go with SHP, they need to just eliminate sportsmanship from the criteria, because if it doesn't apply now, I'm not sure when it would.

Disclaimer: I'm basing my opinion of what I'm reading off this board -- I didn't see the game.

Besides sportsmanship, I think the appeal of a Folsom-Grant showdown at Sac St. drawing 20k+ crazy SJSers to a classic is wishful thinking. I think Folsom would roll Grant by at least 4 TDs. I think they'd do the same thing to SHP, but SHP is a good story that doesn't deserve their season to be over when they have a similar enough resume to SJS's 2nd team that apparently lost their cool last night.

I agree with you for the most part nuyt only if there was an ejection. I watch the game and was surprised there were not any ejections. Not saying just Grant side though. Could have been a player on each side. The one Grant player as I understand had two unsportsman-like called during the altercation but maybe was just considered one by the refs. The player did slam his helmut to the ground. I didn't see Grant as a team not being good sportsman for the most part. Just the altercation. There was some chippyness at times, but the refs seemed to have it under control for most of the game except that series. If it were me, I would have ejected a player of two on that series. The refs were being lenient. Not saying the refs purposely selected to not eject a specific player for being high profile, just seemed lenient overall. They could have lost control of the game at that point.

Sacred Heart Prep has a very nice story, but also I think Grant does as well. Unfortunately there is no Open play-in. This would have been a great year to see a DLS and Folsom game. By the CIF changing the format, I think we'll be hearing how this may have been Folsom best team ever (especially if they cruise through the state game assuming they win tonight) and maybe in the SJS best teams ever and that they would be able to take the Spartan's this year. I think it would be a great game, but of course my opinion is the Spartans would still win. May be in a very good game this year.

I'm hearing some conflicting reports and wish I could retract thread

Let's let the discussion play out in one of the 2 or 3 other threads on topic of D1 selection

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT