ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D2 Matchups

Congrats to Monty. Going on the road 2x with 2 big wins and a legit shot at getting to the section champ game. Newman laid a big egg. Tam at home... Yikes. I guess that cupcake schedule caught up to them.

But ODOWD is going to win this thing going away.

Reactions: mcserveradmin
However, the best team will still win the section. Good luck to all the teams still playing. Good season LL. I'm proud of them and feel they were as good as all the teams in the D-2 section.

Doesn't LL still have a chance to move on to NorCal if either BOD or Moreau were to get selected for the Open Division? As the top seed eliminated in the quarterfinals, I believe they would be the first to get moved up to fill the 4th NCS spot in D2.

Took Larry's advice and hit up the Newman game tonight. Newman's soft pre-season schedule most definitely caught up with them. If their coach got them out of Sonoma County in the pre-season, maybe some of the players wouldn't be scared when they see athletic boys of color. Just sayin'. So Co ball is charmin! Bonfigli's subbing was atrocious at times tonight. Just when the guys seemed to get the momentum going, he'd sub. And what's up with his "slow it down" offense? There are tons of opportunities to push the ball and instead the PG has to slow it down to watch him call the same damn play he's been calling for 20 years.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Give a lot of credit to Tam for coming on the road and knocking off Newman (first loss at home). But Newman's record was far better than the actual performance on the court this year mainly due to poor pre-season schedule and below average NBL. But how below average was it? Montgomery, the 2nd place team finds themselves in great position to at least get to the D2 champ game after beating a very good LL team.

I also heard the substitution pattern was very questionable last night at Newman. But I certainly don't think in this day and age anybody was scared due to somebody's color. In any event pretty disappointing season if you ask me for Newman who had an easy bracket and couldn't capitalize.

My prediction is Monty ends up facing ODOWD. Monty gets a home game against Tam and no way in hell will they lose that. Tam will underestimate Monty after beating the NBL champs.

Jalen Dural and Wallace don't count?

Yes, of course they "count" but I am talking on an opposing team. And, yes, in this day and age some kids are still intimidated by a player's ethnicity or a team's location. You should have seen some of the players faces last year when Newman played Salesian in Richmond when their team came out of the locker room for the first time. Anyway, good luck to the teams that are still standing in NCS! Peace Out!

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
Yes, of course they "count" but I am talking on an opposing team. And, yes, in this day and age some kids are still intimidated by a player's ethnicity or a team's location. You should have seen some of the players faces last year when Newman played Salesian in Richmond when their team came out of the locker room for the first time. Anyway, good luck to the teams that are still standing in NCS! Peace Out!
Didn't Bonfigli move up to D2 to avoid some teams in D4? how funny is this that it backfired and resulted in a second round KO at home? ha! o well back to D4 to play vills and lakes!

any accountability to this statement J.E.W.? Newman joins Windsor with an early home KO

I was wrong with the outcome of that game very true... but the real ppl who were wrong was the committee who seeded this field! O'Dowd vs Moreau semis is ridiculous. The winner of that game will win section title in a rout... I give Acalanes credit for hanging tough with Moreau but at the end of the day they didn't have the star power to counter Millstead and Walker.

Monty storming back to beat LL was a shocker! Tam beat CN just proves that CN was vastly overrated. Congrats to Tam and Monty they will be playing in Nor Cals!

I have no idea how Montgomery is playing at home being they are #7 and Tam is #6. Must be something to do with league standings? They do some goofy things these days with who gets priority. But honestly I don't think Monty cares if they play home or away. They seem to be doing just fine away.

I don't see how ODOWD is an open team this year. And SJS D2 field is stacked so I'm not so sure they would even be the favorite in Norcal D2.

The D4 thing to D2 made no sense but you could argue St Pats/Vincents would be a #2 seed in D2 and they are in D4 and St Joes is in D4 who is probably better than any D2 school. Bottomline is you have to beat good teams in the playoffs and can't run from them. Newman needs to look what Cronin does in football on the scheduling side.

I was wrong with the outcome of that game very true... but the real ppl who were wrong was the committee who seeded this field! O'Dowd vs Moreau semis is ridiculous. The winner of that game will win section title in a rout... I give Acalanes credit for hanging tough with Moreau but at the end of the day they didn't have the star power to counter Millstead and Walker.

Monty storming back to beat LL was a shocker! Tam beat CN just proves that CN was vastly overrated. Congrats to Tam and Monty they will be playing in Nor Cals!
yes and that was a bold statement to proclaim that Tam would be going home after friday. Apparently nobody on this board watched Tam? and how was anyone high on Newman they hadn't payed anyone outside a 10 mile radius in years! ha!

Took Larry's advice and hit up the Newman game tonight. Newman's soft pre-season schedule most definitely caught up with them. If their coach got them out of Sonoma County in the pre-season, maybe some of the players wouldn't be scared when they see athletic boys of color. Just sayin'. So Co ball is charmin! Bonfigli's subbing was atrocious at times tonight. Just when the guys seemed to get the momentum going, he'd sub. And what's up with his "slow it down" offense? There are tons of opportunities to push the ball and instead the PG has to slow it down to watch him call the same damn play he's been calling for 20 years.

As much as I'm enjoying the irony that Larry constantly beating up Knight for his lack of coaching prowess while being a Cardinal Newman fan (with Bonfigli's apparently awful coaching appearing to be a contributing factor to last night's loss) is being exposed today (much like the crappy job the seeding committee did, which several of us called out the second the brackets came out), I really don't think it's right or fair to bring race into this at all. I think it was poor scheduling and an attempt to game the system by padding their stats rather than a fear of going on the road to play an ethnically diverse team. That said, if you want to make a legitimate run in the playoffs, you need to make sure your team faces adversity as well as multiple styles of play before they face it when their season's on the line. I'm sure if CN was open to it, Mellis would have been happy to play them in Richmond, but that might have shown the committee that the 25-3 record was a charade.

Fair enough! You're right, we shall call it mutilple styles of play! I like that!
As much as I'm enjoying the irony that Larry constantly beating up Knight for his lack of coaching prowess while being a Cardinal Newman fan (with Bonfigli's apparently awful coaching appearing to be a contributing factor to last night's loss) is being exposed today (much like the crappy job the seeding committee did, which several of us called out the second the brackets came out), I really don't think it's right or fair to bring race into this at all. I think it was poor scheduling and an attempt to game the system by padding their stats rather than a fear of going on the road to play an ethnically diverse team. That said, if you want to make a legitimate run in the playoffs, you need to make sure your team faces adversity as well as multiple styles of play before they face it when their season's on the line. I'm sure if CN was open to it, Mellis would have been happy to play them in Richmond, but that might have shown the committee that the 25-3 record was a charade.

wow you are so right! charade is the proper word for 25-3. 20-8 would have been much better if you ventured out and played a few people and took a few to the head. That is what prepares you for playoff basketball. Norcalmom said it best when she said newman wasn't ready to play and look star struck by Tam! I mean this is Tam not BOD! The NBL awful, the SCL is awful and the lakes and vills leagues are even worse, you have to play people outside of your area to prepare your team. he did those boys a disservice.

my whole thing is this, challenge yourself and play people. why in the world are the boys playing in D2 and the girls in D4? ridiculous

I have no idea how Montgomery is playing at home being they are #7 and Tam is #6. Must be something to do with league standings? They do some goofy things these days with who gets priority.

Yeah that is odd for sure. Could it be that Tam's gym isn't large enough or is being used for something else that night? If that's the case, you would think Tam would at least plead for a neutral site rather than go into the lion's den of their opponent. Or maybe someone just screwed up on the NCS website and the game really is at Tam?

Yeah that is odd for sure. Could it be that Tam's gym isn't large enough or is being used for something else that night? If that's the case, you would think Tam would at least plead for a neutral site rather than go into the lion's den of their opponent. Or maybe someone just screwed up on the NCS website and the game really is at Tam?
could be, TAMs gym literally seats 100 or so people

I never comment but I feel like I should. My son plays for LL. I've ref'd high school basketball in the past as a playoff ref. Payne for LL was taken off the floor by the refs. He had 4 fouls with 5 min to go in the 3rd quarter and pick up his 5th with 7 min to go in the 4th. One of his fouls was a T after a blocked shot for saying something. His 3rd was a clean block up top but ref said he pushed below. He was he was the help defender coming over to help. Just a bad call sorry. His 4th was on a box out where ball hit the ground and they called him for backing into the other player. His 5th a charge. Monty was in double bonus at the end of the 3 qtr. Monty is a solid team so I don't want to take anything from them. But we were up12 at halftime then fouls in the 3rd qtr just changed the entire game. I feel like they won but it was gifted and they didn't earn it by beating us. Its like we had to over come a solid team solid very solid. But ref really took us out of the game. Now the seeding I do feel like we should have been the 3 seed. However, the best team will still win the section. Good luck to all the teams still playing. Good season LL. I'm proud of them and feel they were as good as all the teams in the D-2 section.
I never post as well but I must tell my version of last night. I can honestly say I have never been in such arrogant gym as I was last night, not just players but fans as well so it doesn't me that you look to blame someone for losing. In my opinion, the only gift Montgomery got last night was that LL was so arrogant and they lost total composure late in the game. Montgomery so earned that win because they were the opposite of LL, composed and humble. Also, the officials( I actually think one ref was one of best I have seen all year) had nothing to do with LL poor shot section the second half, I think they took more bad shots than good shots? Fouls are part of the game really good teams adjust and overcome them. In closure what great sportsmanship at end of game with student section chanting Refs suck, maybe you were as well.
By the way, I'm not a parent of a player.

I have no idea how Montgomery is playing at home being they are #7 and Tam is #6. Must be something to do with league standings? They do some goofy things these days with who gets priority. But honestly I don't think Monty cares if they play home or away. They seem to be doing just fine away.

I don't see how ODOWD is an open team this year. And SJS D2 field is stacked so I'm not so sure they would even be the favorite in Norcal D2.

The D4 thing to D2 made no sense but you could argue St Pats/Vincents would be a #2 seed in D2 and they are in D4 and St Joes is in D4 who is probably better than any D2 school. Bottomline is you have to beat good teams in the playoffs and can't run from them. Newman needs to look what Cronin does in football on the scheduling side.

Larry I would take O'Dowd over that "stacked" SJS D2 field. Are you serious? Stacked??! Have you seen the results of who got upset in that division? O'Dowd would run through all those SJS D2 teams in my opinion. Hopefully they are not placed in the open and we'll revisit this.

Burbank and Whitney are both really good in SJS D2. Both of these schools can beat Odowd. Grant laid and egg but almost beat Sheldon earlier in the year who could very well be the open rep in the north. Hell a 16-13 Del Oro Team would beat any of the NCS teams in D2 with the exception of ODOWD. DO plays in a very tough D1 league with Woodcreek, Folsom, Granite Bay, NU, OR.

If Burbank wins SJS and goes into that meeting 28-3 I would expect them to get the #1 seed in Norcal.

Reactions: nostancenochance
I never post as well but I must tell my version of last night. I can honestly say I have never been in such arrogant gym as I was last night, not just players but fans as well so it doesn't me that you look to blame someone for losing. In my opinion, the only gift Montgomery got last night was that LL was so arrogant and they lost total composure late in the game. Montgomery so earned that win because they were the opposite of LL, composed and humble. Also, the officials( I actually think one ref was one of best I have seen all year) had nothing to do with LL poor shot section the second half, I think they took more bad shots than good shots? Fouls are part of the game really good teams adjust and overcome them. In closure what great sportsmanship at end of game with student section chanting Refs suck, maybe you were as well.
By the way, I'm not a parent of a player.

I'm sure we lost be arrogant and to my point I'm sure the refs felt the same way you did and they went about proving their point against Payne and the team.

I will agree we played horrible 2nd half. But when the best player in the gym goes to the bucket and don't get calls and we nail for over 10 fouls by the end of the 3rd qtr it will make you take bad shoots.

I have no issues with Monty they were humble and composed as a team. However, don't think LL hasn't played with composure because we have. All I'm saying is when the fouls are 10+ to 2 or 3 at the end of the 3rd qtr it doesn't feel right. I also, feel like the one ref was targeting Payne to teach him a lesson. This the playoff talk to the kid if you want to may a point don't foul him out of the game on a bunch of cheap fouls.

The minute you start blaming a loss on the refs you know you're in trouble. LL lost because the team has no discipline when faced with quality D, and that blame goes to the coaching, not the officiating. Too bad because there's some real talent on that team, and from the games I've seen its being squandered. Poor shot selection in that second half is an understatement. I'm not a parent, but I've been watching a few of these kids in AAU for years (including as a coach.) It's a shame, but not surprising to see LL's season end so soon.

Congrats to Montgomery for a well-deserved win, with discipline and team play.

I never comment but I feel like I should. My son plays for LL. I've ref'd high school basketball in the past as a playoff ref. Payne for LL was taken off the floor by the refs. He had 4 fouls with 5 min to go in the 3rd quarter and pick up his 5th with 7 min to go in the 4th. One of his fouls was a T after a blocked shot for saying something. His 3rd was a clean block up top but ref said he pushed below. He was he was the help defender coming over to help. Just a bad call sorry. His 4th was on a box out where ball hit the ground and they called him for backing into the other player. His 5th a charge. Monty was in double bonus at the end of the 3 qtr. Monty is a solid team so I don't want to take anything from them. But we were up12 at halftime then fouls in the 3rd qtr just changed the entire game. I feel like they won but it was gifted and they didn't earn it by beating us. Its like we had to over come a solid team solid very solid. But ref really took us out of the game. Now the seeding I do feel like we should have been the 3 seed. However, the best team will still win the section. Good luck to all the teams still playing. Good season LL. I'm proud of them and feel they were as good as all the teams in the D-2 section.
Thats the the playoffs in a nutshell... "Survive & Advance"!!

The minute you start blaming a loss on the refs you know you're in trouble. LL lost because the team has no discipline when faced with quality D, and that blame goes to the coaching, not the officiating. Too bad because there's some real talent on that team, and from the games I've seen its being squandered. Poor shot selection in that second half is an understatement. I'm not a parent, but I've been watching a few of these kids in AAU for years (including as a coach.) It's a shame, but not surprising to see LL's season end so soon.

Congrats to Montgomery for a well-deserved win, with discipline and team play.
Yeah, I wonder if the players' parents are regretting complaining about their previous coach.

Coaches are constantly run out of programs by these parents who have these unrealistic expectations for these players! Makes me laugh when the end result remains the same after parents get what they want. LL has talent but lack leadership, discipline, and defense which is why they are now on the outside hoping that Odowd makes the open.

It is kinda fun to join in conversation late, to see how wrong some of you are. Bottom line is Moreau should have been a #2. Championship game should be BOD/MC so essentially semi winner unless they fall asleep wins D2. Newman and LL not in same category.

I am also not understanding the Frank Knight cant coach comments?? They lost -albeit at home- to a very good Serra team in 2015 and last year to Sheldon, after Milstead and Frayer were out most of 1st half. They got in a hole and almost came back to win. Last year class left with 3 MVAL titles(weak league but still a titles), a NorCal Championship, 2 NCS championships, and NCS runner up to eventual Open State Champion O'Dowd. Did I leave anything out.... outside of DLS and O'Dowd, MC has to have been in conversation for top team over that period in NorCal. What is he supposed to do-- win open state championship every year??

Matchup with O'Dowd will be good one, I think O'Dowd gets by them by not surprised if MC pulls it off

Reactions: Fentons Cream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT