ADVERTISEMENT

Nike TOC Brackets....Preliminary

74-64 with 1:26 remaining.

Mesquite is a good scrapping team. But, not the same level as St. Mary's.

3's are not falling. Rams pulling away 78-64.

Finally, the announcers give accolades to St. Mary's.

14 pt victory 80-66. Game was not as close as the announcers wanted it to be. Lol.

Riverdale vs Centennial playing a "close" game with Centennial taking the lead 27-26 after a 17-2 run with 3:11 left in the game. Riverdale is the favorite as the #1 team in the nation. But, I like Centennial in this match-up. Centennial appears to be a quicker team but Riverdale has the better shooters. If this game continues a running game, Riverdale and their #1 ranking could be in trouble. Riverdale's shooting has cooled off and Centennial is taking over with good D and good transition. But, Riverdale answers back with 2 3-pointers to cut a 10 point Centennial lead to 4 as the half closes.

Sounds like the Northern California power house teams are representing us well. Just as last year a California team has a chance to take the title home. Hopefully Mitty and SMS keep playing well so they can meet in the championship game (if possible) and one can bring the championship home.

Riverdale 49 Centennial 47 after 3 quarters.

Need to run and will miss the 4th quarter. Final score will be posted on the bracket link.

Yes, I like NorCal's chances in the Smith division. I can picture Mitty vs St. Mary's in the finals. But, I believe Mitty has a tougher path. Will be watching/posting tomorrow's game.

Riverdale 49 Centennial 47 after 3 quarters.

Need to run and will miss the 4th quarter. Final score will be posted on the bracket link.

Yes, I like NorCal's chances in the Smith division. I can picture Mitty vs St. Mary's in the finals. But, I believe Mitty has a tougher path. Will be watching/posting tomorrow's game.

bulldogmgc,

Thanks for those updates. I enjoyed the past two seasons watching the TOC games in person but was unable to make it this season.

Sounds like you're gonna miss a fantastic finish !

Based on MaxPreps reporting, Riverdale won the 4th quarter 24-15, resulting in a 11 pt victory of 71-60 over Centennial.

The Nike TOC Joe Smith semi-finals are set. Mitty takes on Riverdale at 2:30PM PT, while St. Mary's-Stockton gets Riverdale Baptist at 4PM PT. The winners of these two games meet for the championship. Let's GO NorCal!!!

Reactions: Paytc
WOW! Sacred Heart Cathedral blows it big-time vs Gilbert (AZ). Having the lead throughout the game until the final 5 seconds, when Gilbert player gets fouled and hits both FT's to take the 56-55 lead. SHC still has a chance with 5 seconds left, but the player steps over the line on the inbound play and turns the ball over to Gilbert. Gilbert gets the ball and dribbles the court evading any fouls and Gilbert holds onto win, heading to the Mike Desper championship game to play either Clovis West or Lake Highland Prep (FL). Again, WOW!

Great defense or terrible offense? I just tuned in and was surprised to see it is now 11-2 end 1st quarter. Wow!

Last edited:
11-2 at the end of the 1st. Riverdale having trouble finishing inside. Both points came off FT's. Probably missed 4 others.

Riverdale comes out strong making 3 quick baskets vs AM's 3 straight TO's.. 11-8 AM

Riverdale hits a 3 to beat the halftime buzzer to cut it to 26-18. The game found a flow and both teams got up and down better in the 2nd. Still a few long possessions that would play out differently with a shot clock

Ania McNicholas with a 3 at the buzzer as the 3rd quarter comes to an end with Mitty up 46-33 over Riverdale.

This game could be out of hand but Riverdale is grabbing offensive boards left and right, 3-4 in a single possession a few times, just can't finish anything. Riverdale will also be in the bonus the entire 4th, so 13 pts may be closer than it sounds right now.

52-41 AM with 2:30 left. AM getting open shots off Riverdale traps but not connecting. O-boards have allowed them to use a lot of clock up

Mitty 64 Riverdale 50 final. Mitty onto the Nike TOC's Championship game.

Mitty takes down USA Today's #1 and #2 teams @ Nike TOC's

St. Mary's-Stockton up next vs Riverdale Baptist. Let's GO RAMS!!

St. Mary's 63 Riverdale Baptist 47 with 4:08 left in the game. RB lead early in the first quarter, but it has been the Rams 2nd quarter on and really pulling away in the 2nd half.

Nike TOC will be the preview of Norcal Open Division. These 2 teams will 1 and 2 in the country after tomorrow. This game will be to close to call. Who every makes the fewest mistakes will win this game. Bother teams won Convincingly with mistakes which each other and make tomorrow.

Haley Jones who had foul trouble in the last 2 games will need to avoid getting in foul trouble vs St. Mary's. Indeed, whoever avoids the most turnovers should win this game. But, also whichever team is hot from behind the arc is going to have the advantage, as well. No matter who wins tomorrow, with both teams getting to the championship game, whichever team wins the NorCal Open Division will claim #1 in the country at the end of the season.

Major statement for the region. It is two teams and then a big drop off, but those two teams are among the best in the country.

Should be a fun finals

Haley Jones who had foul trouble in the last 2 games will need to avoid getting in foul trouble vs St. Mary's. Indeed, whoever avoids the most turnovers should win this game. But, also whichever team is hot from behind the arc is going to have the advantage, as well. No matter who wins tomorrow, with both teams getting to the championship game, whichever team wins the NorCal Open Division will claim #1 in the country at the end of the season.

bulldogmgc,

Gotta run that by Clay and others who have an influence on where teams fall in the national rankings. It would depend if they had an untested undefeated team like Paul VI ranked in the top 3 in the preseason. And the undefeated untested team was undefeated while the battle tested team suffered a loss or two. Because win loss can often be given more value than SOS in some polls. Thankfully there are several polls. Typically one is a bit more accurate than others. Usually that is the non bias computer ranking system. Last year Clovis West won the TOC and the Open division and not every poll had them at #1. I thought Clovis West deserved the #1 ranking at the end of last season. So I agree with you. Any team that wins the TOC and ends the season with the California Open Division Championship is battle tested and worthy of the #1 slot consideration IMO.

Last edited:
Major statement for the region. It is two teams and then a big drop off, but those two teams are among the best in the country.

Should be a fun finals

Streak One,

I think Pinewood and/ or Salesian might be able to give both Mitty and SMS a good game. There might be another sleeper out there as well. But for the most part..... I agree Mitty and SMS are on a level or two above most if not every team in Norcal. That is when you add up tradition, coaching, talent, experience, depth, size, speed, athleticism, toughness, confidence, expectation, etc...

And they are both fun to watch ! Good luck to them both in the TOC championship, as well as the rest of the season.

bulldogmgc,

Gotta run that by Clay and others who have an influence on where teams fall in the national rankings. It would depend if they had an untested undefeated team like Paul VI ranked in the top 3 in the preseason. And the undefeated untested team was undefeated while the battle tested team suffered a loss or two. Because win loss can often be given more value than SOS in some polls. Thankfully there are several polls. Typically one is a bit more accurate than others. Usually that is the non bias computer ranking system. Last year Clovis West won the TOC and the Open division and not every poll had them at #1. I thought Clovis West deserved the #1 ranking at the end of last season. So I agree with you. Any team that wins the TOC and ends the season with the California Open Division Championship is battle tested and worthy of the #1 slot consideration IMO.
Clovis West did finish with 2 losses, one to Mitty in OT and one to Centennial (NV) by a huge margin. Clovis West would later avenge their loss to Mitty in a close win in the NorCal Open championship game. Clovis West beat Centennial (NV) in the Nike TOC's in 2016, but I believe it was their huge loss 46-70 to the same team later in the season that cost them #1 rankings in some polls.

Should Mitty or St. Mary's-Stockton suffer their only loss in the Nike TOC championship game but continue winning the rest of the way, including the CA Open Division Championship, IMHO, this team should be #1 in the nation. Keep in mind that both teams still have more competition post Nike TOC's. Neither is shying away from competition.

Still lots of basketball to be played. Let's not forget a couple years ago when St. Mary's was #1 and forecasted to end the season #1 over an untested undefeated Duncanville, but lost to Pinewood in the NorCal Open playoffs. My projection was more of stating that either of these two teams (Mitty or St. Mary's-Stockton) should have "control of their destiny", win or lose the Nike TOC's, thru the rest of the season and end up #1 IF they can stay undefeated post Nike TOC's.That is still a big "IF". I should have prefaced this (stay undefeated post Nike TOC's) and not just win the CA Open Championship.

Still lots of basketball to be played. Let's not forget a couple years ago when St. Mary's was #1 and forecasted to end the season #1 over an untested undefeated Duncanville, but lost to Pinewood in the NorCal Open playoffs. My projection was more of stating that either of these two teams (Mitty or St. Mary's-Stockton) should have "control of their destiny", win or lose the Nike TOC's, thru the rest of the season and end up #1 IF they can stay undefeated post Nike TOC's.That is still a big "IF". I should have prefaced this (stay undefeated post Nike TOC's) and not just win the CA Open Championship.

I think sos is important to take into consideration. Then add how you finish a season to the equation. I think many polls had Centennial ranked in the top 3 so it wasn't like CW loss to an easy team. Regardless to the number of points in a victory or defeat one loss is one loss.
Then you take into account they beat Centennial rather easily when it was tougher and counted most at the TOC. Then add their other loss was a 1 point overtime loss to Mitty (a team they later beat in the open and placed higher than when both were in the TOC) Clovis West beat both teams that beat them both top 3 teams at the time. So really the only other team that really came close IMO of claiming the national championship over Clovis West based on SOS was Miami CD who Clovis West beat in the TOC championship game. And I think Clovis West had the tougher SOS in comparison to the other top 5 teams. And ending with a victory in the California open division against Mitty was much harder than any other team in the nation ended their season IMO. So without a end of the season national playoff to determine things I think SOS has to be the determining factor not wins, losses, and/ or margin of victory alone.

I think if both Mitty and SMS go undefeated until they possibly meet again in the California Open division championship then I agree the winner at the end of the year should be crowned the #1 national ranking. Because that would mean win or lose the TOC championship the team finished the season off with the most impressive sos in the nation. IMO when there is no end of the season national playoff system SOS rules. Obviously a lot of games have to be played between now and March. And both teams have to be lucky or fortunate enough to avoid the flu and injury bug.

Last edited:
I think sos is important to take into consideration. Then add how you finish a season to the equation. I think many polls had Centennial ranked in the top 3 so it wasn't like CW loss to an easy team. Regardless to the number of points in a victory or defeat one loss is one loss.
Then you take into account they beat Centennial rather easily when it was tougher and counted most at the TOC. Then add their other loss was a 1 point overtime loss to Mitty (a team they later beat in the open and placed higher than when both were in the TOC) So really the only other team that really came close IMO of claiming the national championship over Clovis West based on SOS was Miami CD who Clovis West beat in the TOC championship game. And I think Clovis West had the tougher SOS in comparison to the other top 5 teams. And ending with a victory in the California open division against Mitty was much harder than any other team in the nation ended their season IMO. So without a playoff to determine things I think SOS has to be the determining factor not wins, losses, and/ or margin of victory alone.

I think if both Mitty and SMS go undefeated until they possibly meet again in the California Open division championship then I agree the winner at the end of the year should be crowned the #1 national ranking. Because that would mean win or lose the TOC championship the team finished the season off with the most impressive sos in the nation. IMO when there is no end of the season national playoff system SOS rules. Obviously a lot of games have to be played between now and March. And both teams have to be lucky or fortunate enough to avoid the flu and injury bug.

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.c...rep-basketball-national-poll-2016-2017.16260/

Then you take into account they beat Centennial rather easily when it was tougher and counted most at the TOC. Then add their other loss was a 1 point overtime loss to Mitty (a team they later beat in the open and placed higher than when both were in the TOC) So really the only other team that really came close IMO of claiming the national championship over Clovis West based on SOS was Miami CD who Clovis West beat in the TOC championship game. And I think Clovis West had the tougher SOS in comparison to the other top 5 teams. And ending with a victory in the California open division against Mitty was much harder than any other team in the nation ended their season IMO. So without a playoff to determine things I think SOS has to be the determining factor not wins, losses, and/ or margin of victory alone.

Probably not by MaxPreps, LOL! MaxPreps has 3 Texas teams as the top 3 teams in the nation after today's updates, which have knocked St. John's and Riverdale down in the rankings after their defeats to Mitty. These Texas teams play "nobody" out of state, unlike our top CA teams. Yet, they are heralded as the best in the nation. If an average Memorial team out of Texas can travel to AZ for the Nike TOC's why can't the top dogs of Texas travel? What a joke!

Clovis West getting beat by Gilbert (AZ) 50-64 with less than 3 min to play.

Probably not by MaxPreps, LOL! MaxPreps has 3 Texas teams as the top 3 teams in the nation after today's updates, which have knocked St. John's and Riverdale down in the rankings after their defeats to Mitty. These Texas teams play "nobody" out of state, unlike our top CA teams. Yet, they are heralded as the best in the nation. If an average Memorial team out of Texas can travel to AZ for the Nike TOC's why can't the top dogs of Texas travel? What a joke!

Max prep was one of the reasons I created my more accurate SOS end of the season ranking poll. I'm accepting sponsors to keep my poll going. And to be involved in ground breaking philosophies and projects of extreme value, Paytc, I'm not hard to find !

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldogmgc
Clovis West getting beat by Gilbert (AZ) 50-64 with less than 3 min to play.

Clovis West may never have a team with the talent, confidence, and experience they had last season. So that is not a surprise after graduating so many quality D1 players a year ago.

Last edited:
Gilbert (AZ) wins the Mike Desper division as champions, despite Clovis West closing the score within 7 late 4th quarter. Up next, 3rd place game between Riverdale (TN) vs Riverdale Baptist (MD) for Joe Smith division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT