ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Brackets

I think the problem (or perception) is that you have section winners being seeded at bottom of higher brackets and people who didn't even make the finals being a top 4 seed in same or lower brackets. While I can't figure out the rhyme or reason, there has to be some method to the madness.

Open and D1 are loaded, as they should be and agree with clay, someone has to be the sacrificial lamb. But pulling up a D4 runner up to D3 and the D5 champion to top d3 seed, seems stupid. Branson should have stayed 4 and university should have not gone higher than 4. I can't imagine how tedious this process is and frustrating for coaches and the commissioners to get this "right"

those kids get to say they are state champs. you can never take that away. so few will ever sniff that chance.
and herein lies the problem....

as many have said before... stop calling them state champions. Call them division champions. Only 1 state champ. If you do that, then most of the squabbling and accusations of tanking, and perceived slights quiets down.

I think most college teams would love to be a 16 seed of the NCAA rather than the top seed of the NIT.

Mitty faces Clovis West in their 1st game. This is really the NorCal title matchup. Piedmont would lose to either of these teams. CW defeated Folsom by 21 points and AM DNP them this season but has never had a close game w/ Folsom, yet.

I scouted CW this morning and they are like Mitty. They full-court press the entire game. Clovis West is a team of guards that are dimunitive but faster than Mitty. If I am Sue Phillips I practice (utilizng superior height) and passing over the top of the press. If they try to dribble- the Monarchs will turn the ball over. Four guards shoot three point shots frequently for CW. Mitty's defense had difficulty getting to the Pinewood long range shooters.

Clovis West is a more athletic team than Archbishop Mitty but the size differential probably will be the difference. CW has one 6 foot starter. It should be a tight game.

Mitty faces Clovis West in their 1st game. This is really the NorCal title matchup. Piedmont would lose to either of these teams. CW defeated Folsom by 21 points and AM DNP them this season but has never had a close game w/ Folsom, yet.

I scouted CW this morning and they are like Mitty. They full-court press the entire game. Clovis West is a team of guards that are dimunitive but faster than Mitty. If I am Sue Phillips I practice (utilizng superior height) and passing over the top of the press. If they try to dribble- the Monarchs will turn the ball over. Four guards shoot three point shots frequently for CW. Mitty's defense had difficulty getting to the Pinewood long range shooters.

Clovis West is a more athletic team than Archbishop Mitty but the size differential probably will be the difference. CW has one 6 foot starter. It should be a tight game.
Why would Piedmont lose to either team ? Who has CW played outside of Folsom ?

Reactions: Chsmatt33
I think the problem (or perception) is that you have section winners being seeded at bottom of higher brackets and people who didn't even make the finals being a top 4 seed in same or lower brackets. While I can't figure out the rhyme or reason, there has to be some method to the madness.

Open and D1 are loaded, as they should be and agree with clay, someone has to be the sacrificial lamb. But pulling up a D4 runner up to D3 and the D5 champion to top d3 seed, seems stupid. Branson should have stayed 4 and university should have not gone higher than 4. I can't imagine how tedious this process is and frustrating for coaches and the commissioners to get this "right"
It would be instructive to have the selection process live-streamed for purposes of total transparency. Probably won't happen.

Reactions: ClayK
and herein lies the problem....

as many have said before... stop calling them state champions. Call them division champions. Only 1 state champ. If you do that, then most of the squabbling and accusations of tanking, and perceived slights quiets down.

I think most college teams would love to be a 16 seed of the NCAA rather than the top seed of the NIT.

There's not ONE national champion in basketball. There IS however National Champions in D1, 2, 3, NAIA, JC, etc. I've never heard a D1 or D2 champ said yah we were division national champs. They just say..."we were national champs...".

Nobody but elite asshats care if d5 calls themselves state championship and who's anyone to deny them that? For kids and their community, it's HUGE.

Reactions: NorCalHoopz
It would be instructive to have the selection process live-streamed for purposes of total transparency. Probably won't happen.

You know, someone suggested (I think it was Clay who asked) why isn't the Brown Act incorporated into CIF Seeding meetings??? and I'm sure there's some rich family who could make this happen legally.lol

Reactions: NorCalHoopz
The CIF needs to allow each section to decide who they will allow to represent them at the Seeding Meeting. If Norcal wants to do it different than Socal or vice versa then so be it. The commissioners CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be allowed to help seed a fair basketball tournament. These commisioners are not all basketball people. Each Section should vote one boys coach and one girls coach to represent their section at the seeding meeting. They can come in with an an idea of where their section teams are ranked in their section 24 teams. Then have a discussion about where the best division a team should be.
I think that a section champ should get a home game regardless of seed or division as well. Teams have been shafted for years, but it makes it more difficult when you know NON BASKETBALL people are seeding the tournament. It is no wonder people are scratching their heads. You will always have some upset coaches, but I think it could definitely be done better than it has been.

The CIF needs to allow each section to decide who they will allow to represent them at the Seeding Meeting. If Norcal wants to do it different than Socal or vice versa then so be it. The commissioners CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be allowed to help seed a fair basketball tournament. These commisioners are not all basketball people. Each Section should vote one boys coach and one girls coach to represent their section at the seeding meeting. They can come in with an an idea of where their section teams are ranked in their section 24 teams. Then have a discussion about where the best division a team should be.
I think that a section champ should get a home game regardless of seed or division as well. Teams have been shafted for years, but it makes it more difficult when you know NON BASKETBALL people are seeding the tournament. It is no wonder people are scratching their heads. You will always have some upset coaches, but I think it could definitely be done better than it has been.
I must respectfully disagree...Section Champs should NOT automatically get home games in Norcals. Not with the advent of the section Opens and the best teams getting pulled from each division.

SRV, CLET, Heritage get put in NCS open and Monte Vista who stays in D1 gets gifted a section championship AND gets an auto 1st rd home game??? Nope! Or Cardinal Newman from D3..same thing. Marin Catholic gets the auto home game after being gifted a section championship when CN got pulled? Hell no!....

Mitty will take care of CW pretty easily. Put them in WCBB's Big West and they they would win some games IMO. Should be a pretty smooth road to Sacramento.

There's not ONE national champion in basketball. There IS however National Champions in D1, 2, 3, NAIA, JC, etc. I've never heard a D1 or D2 champ said yah we were division national champs. They just say..."we were national champs...".

Nobody but elite asshats care if d5 calls themselves state championship and who's anyone to deny them that? For kids and their community, it's HUGE.
well. there are plenty of people here having aneurysms about who's getting seeded where, and whether they are trying to play themselves into a lower division... so it seems to be more than what the kids and the community think.

But your analogy is not the same. First off, all of these national championships are qualified by division... "D2 national champs" is a thing people say... because everyone knows the march madness winner is THE national champion. And in that case, they don't have another option.. they are D2 or D3.. they can't be moved up or down.

In the NIT... that's the equivalent... HS Open = March Madness. HS D1 and lower = NIT. Everyone plays to get in the March Madness, even as a 16 seed. All of the fussing and cries of conspiracy and tanking goes away if there was ONE state champion. If anything, there will be the obligatory "we got snubbed" anger, which is what it should be.

Nothing wrong with being a division champion, btw. But it should not have the same prestige as the Open champion.

I must respectfully disagree...Section Champs should NOT automatically get home games in Norcals. Not with the advent of the section Opens and the best teams getting pulled from each division.

SRV, CLET, Heritage get put in NCS open and Monte Vista who stays in D1 gets gifted a section championship AND gets an auto 1st rd home game??? Nope! Or Cardinal Newman from D3..same thing. Marin Catholic gets the auto home game after being gifted a section championship when CN got pulled? Hell no!....
You are right.....my bad......failed to mention open teams should trump section champs in some divisions and sections........the section champ/reward thing is a tricky one for sure.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT