ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Playoffs: 2 Years In

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
The NorCal playoffs have become a fun extra week to the end of the high school baseball season. Now that we have had two years of competition, what has stood out?

1. De La Salle remains the top team in Northern California with a second NorCal Division I title. The Spartans have now won 30 straight playoff games combining NCS and NorCal action. That streak is even more impressive considering it has come in Division I fields and the lack of predictability.

2. Those two NorCal wins weren’t without drama for the Spartans. Last year, De La Salle scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh to beat St. Francis 7-6. This year playing at Valley Christian, De La Salle scored six runs in the top of the seventh to win 11-8.

3. For the second straight year, a CCS team won the NorCal Division II title. Mitty won the CCS and NorCal Division II titles in 2022. In 2023, St. Ignatius allowed three runs in three NorCal games after losing in the CCS Division I semifinals.

4. This year’s Division III matchup was the first intersectional game as Central Catholic beat Oakmont 5-2.

5. NorCal Division IV champion Sutter was the only No. 1 seed to win a title this year. Valley Christian was the only other No. 1 seed to reach a regional final.

6. Eight of the 10 NorCal champions the past two years have been private schools.

7. The NCS, CCS and SJS are tied with three champions and De La Salle is the only two time champion.

Division I: De La Salle over Valley Christian (3 NCS teams, 2 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 Central team)

Division II: St. Ignatius over Casa Grande (1 NCS team, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division III: Central Catholic over Oakmont (1 NCS team, 1 CCS team, 3 SJS teams, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team)

Division IV: Sutter over Gridley (2 NCS teams, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team)

Division V: Lowell over University (2 NCS teams, 0 CCS teams, 1 SJS team, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team, 1 San Francisco team, 1 Oakland team)

Division I: De La Salle over St. Francis (3 NCS teams, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams)

Division II: Mitty over Granite Bay (1 NCS team, 2 CCS teams, 3 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division III: St. Bernard’s ove Alpha Charter (2 NCS teams, 1 CCS team, 2 SJS teams, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team)

Division IV: Bradshaw Christian over Colusa (2 NCS teams, 2 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division V: Monte Vista Christian over Berean Christian (1 NCS team, 1 CCS team, 1 SJS team, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team, 1 San Francisco team, 1 Oakland team)

The NorCal playoffs have become a fun extra week to the end of the high school baseball season. Now that we have had two years of competition, what has stood out?

1. De La Salle remains the top team in Northern California with a second NorCal Division I title. The Spartans have now won 30 straight playoff games combining NCS and NorCal action. That streak is even more impressive considering it has come in Division I fields and the lack of predictability.

2. Those two NorCal wins weren’t without drama for the Spartans. Last year, De La Salle scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh to beat St. Francis 7-6. This year playing at Valley Christian, De La Salle scored six runs in the top of the seventh to win 11-8.

3. For the second straight year, a CCS team won the NorCal Division II title. Mitty won the CCS and NorCal Division II titles in 2022. In 2023, St. Ignatius allowed three runs in three NorCal games after losing in the CCS Division I semifinals.

4. This year’s Division III matchup was the first intersectional game as Central Catholic beat Oakmont 5-2.

5. NorCal Division IV champion Sutter was the only No. 1 seed to win a title this year. Valley Christian was the only other No. 1 seed to reach a regional final.

6. Eight of the 10 NorCal champions the past two years have been private schools.

7. The NCS, CCS and SJS are tied with three champions and De La Salle is the only two time champion.

Division I: De La Salle over Valley Christian (3 NCS teams, 2 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 Central team)

Division II: St. Ignatius over Casa Grande (1 NCS team, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division III: Central Catholic over Oakmont (1 NCS team, 1 CCS team, 3 SJS teams, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team)

Division IV: Sutter over Gridley (2 NCS teams, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team)

Division V: Lowell over University (2 NCS teams, 0 CCS teams, 1 SJS team, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team, 1 San Francisco team, 1 Oakland team)

Division I: De La Salle over St. Francis (3 NCS teams, 3 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams)

Division II: Mitty over Granite Bay (1 NCS team, 2 CCS teams, 3 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division III: St. Bernard’s ove Alpha Charter (2 NCS teams, 1 CCS team, 2 SJS teams, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team)

Division IV: Bradshaw Christian over Colusa (2 NCS teams, 2 CCS teams, 2 SJS teams, 1 NS team, 1 Central team)

Division V: Monte Vista Christian over Berean Christian (1 NCS team, 1 CCS team, 1 SJS team, 2 NS teams, 1 Central team, 1 San Francisco team, 1 Oakland team)
While DLS has 30 straight playoff wins combining NCS & NorCal, they did lose in the EBAL playoffs both years.

While DLS has 30 straight playoff wins combining NCS & NorCal, they did lose in the EBAL playoffs both years.
Which I think makes it even more crazy that they don’t lose in the playoffs!… Single elimination Baseball is just so tough because any number of things can go wrong!….

Just look at Granada this year who beat DLS 6-0 in the EBAL tournament and was upset by PITT in the 1st round of the playoffs!!!….

I know The 151 FB streak will never be matched, but 30 straight playoff wins in Baseball is almost as impressive….

Just think of this, the last team to Beat DLS was the Once in a Generation College Park team that had 8 D1 players including the Gatorade National Player of the year!!!… That DLS team was only 18-9 and actually beat CP 3-0 in the regular season and lost 5-2 in the Championship game….

At some point this streak will come to an end, but it is very impressive what DLS has done in the postseason…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT