ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Tip Off Game Thread

They didn’t play. with great energy tonight in the first half. Thought it got better in the second half but they couldn’t get out of that big hole.

Not having Wilburn also hurt them.

Also this year they have a target on them. Last year they were under the radar until they won the MC tournament.

Is WR one of those athletic but undisciplined and poorly coached teams? I thought all of there players were returning from
Last year? Something off or did the other teams get better

That was my recollection as well, everybody or all but 1 returning from a team that only lost a game or 2 all year last year. When I heard Wilburn was out, I figured they still had a lot of seasoned veterans to face Dublin. Targets on their backs or not, losing the first 2 to teams that aren’t expected to even win their league isn’t a good look.

I think the “under the radar” does play into last year but any good program adjust to that during the current year. (Meaning the kids need to expect to have a target all year on their back) That is coaching and preparation.

weston ranch is neither undisciplined nor not well coached. they won 30 games last year. they have been to nor cals for several years straight. last night they lost to a far superior team at this point of the season.

0-2 vs The EBAL, and has yet to play DLS, who many feel is the best team in that league. Was Wilburn hurt in the loss to Dougherty the other night?

Wilburn got DQ'd from his previous game with two T's, so I think it was a discipline sit-out.

Reactions: observer22
What I saw from WR they got behind early then they got lazy. Dribble drive became the move on offense with little to no success and they got cooked with back cuts on defense.

Yeah to that... They got back-cutted to death.

Loved Dublin’s #25... great backdoor passes all night... Received a bunch, too. He also was everywhere on the defensive end... Lots of deflections and steals... took charges, all that good stuff. One of those “glue guys”, under six feet but fearless.

when you have 4 returning starters from last years team that went 31-2 play in the open you add some size with a senior transfer Jordan Johnson 6'5 add a freshmen Kodey Weary 6'5 to the mix ? should make them a stronger team? The bench don't look too deep... when a player like Wilburn MVP status is not in your lineup it's going to be tough to win games they don't shoot the ball well relying on defensive pressure & just out hustling there opponent ? t's early 0-2 start don't count them out just yet next game at Riordan

Reactions: relittleton
T
when you have 4 returning starters from last years team that went 31-2 play in the open you add some size with a senior transfer Jordan Johnson 6'5 add a freshmen Kodey Weary 6'5 to the mix ? should make them a stronger team? The bench don't look too deep... when a player like Wilburn MVP status is not in your lineup it's going to be tough to win games they don't shoot the ball well relying on defensive pressure & just out hustling there opponent ? t's early 0-2 start don't count them out just yet next game at Riordan

My exact point. No discipline or coaching. Wait until they play DLS. Anybody can win with talent which they have. Beating teams with talent that are well coached sets you apart. I wouldn’t bet on WR.

T

My exact point. No discipline or coaching. Wait until they play DLS. Anybody can win with talent which they have. Beating teams with talent that are well coached sets you apart. I wouldn’t bet on WR.

I agree No discipline!!! good coaching demands discipline? I didn't see DLS on there schedule?

DLS beat them in the Open last year, and is the favorite in the league both of the teams that beat WR this week play in.

why do certain teams coaches never get credit because they have better talent. coaching talent is not as easy as it seems. i mean kerr was the best coach ever 3 years ago.. is he now a terrible coach? because his team sure is terrible.

T

Larry, Weston Ranch is from Stockton, in the Sac-Joaquin Section.
Here's wishing you great hoops

Weston Ranch is good!! sometimes your kids start believing the articles and they need to take some lumps to get re-energized. It does not matter what you do in **December** and they will be there in February when it counts.

I agree weston will be fine.As every team they have some things to work on and if chemistry comes together they definitely
have some talent to be a force come March.
Of the teams I saw on Saturday ST PATS
with a healthy dishon Jackson look like
a team people better not sleep on they also have a few other really solid players around him.Riordan looked good and there big man
Knows his job the gaurds get the headlines but his continued development from now until March will be the key to how far they go
But they look solid on both ends.Bishop o'dowd as always if you play for Lou ritchie you are going to play hard or not play at all
they look good in beating Modesto Christian
But come Feb and March watch out for Modesto christian they will be a force to deal with.Dublin looked good and also looked very precise on offense ball movement and cutting were on point and as kiddman stated they have alot of shooters On that team.It will be really good to see 5 of these teams up at gridley next week.

Weston Ranch is good!! sometimes your kids start believing the articles and they need to take some lumps to get re-energized. It does not matter what you do in **December** and they will be there in February when it counts.

I think Weston Ranch will be there at the end too. It’s just that the results thus far make me pause based on what I thought they were

ST Pats definitely is a sleeper team going forward.
Skilled point guard in Jalen Scott, can shoot the lights out and distribute.
Explosive wing in Jayden Alexander, can jump out the gym.
This team could make noise in their division this year.

SPSV can potentially play Riordan for the Championship in its Crusader Classic if both teams win out in their respective Brackets.
Weston Ranch travels to the City and will visit the Crusader Forum next Tuesday for a non-league tilt with Riordan.
The Gridley Tournament immediately follows on that Thursday with all three teams invited.

Last edited:
Riordan on paper should win the WCAL and CCS Open. They have the most talent in CCS. By March they could be really gelling and be a Norcal contender. No team in Norcal can match up with their size- 7'0, 6'9, 6'8, 6'8 and 6'7. They also have two pretty good guards as well. lol
I think they will easily defeat st Pats and Weston Ranch especially with both games at home. Only question mark with this team is coaching.

Weston Ranch really didn’t think they’d be coming into this game having lost their first 2 games. If this doesn’t wake them up, nothing will. They will need to be running on all cylinders to have a chance, but I’ve got this Riordan team winning by double digits.

This was a great early look at some really good teams playing some other really good teams. Props to the programs that continually throw their teams into the fire right off the bat. It’s hard for me to understand why, this early in the season, the prognosticators on this board think they can accurately forecast the remainder of the season off of results of one contest in November. Most parents have a hard enough time managing the teenagers in their own home, let alone managing 12. Us old guys who haven’t been on a high school campus, aside from watching a game could not possibly fathom the amount of day to day duties that these coaches perform before even stepping onto the court before practice or games even begin. I used to do it back in the day, but now just a dad. Let’s cut these kids and coaches and little bit of slack.

Shifting gears a little...The world of a teenager is so much different than when we grew up with the advent of social media, mix tapes, etc. Some parents even hire guys to film their kids every move. Let’s celebrate the kids and programs that put the group ahead of themselves. Those types are becoming increasingly obvious to spot because of its rarity. Although, don’t get me wrong, selfishly, it is entertaining to watch a kid (or parent) put on his profile that he dropped 20 but the team lost the game.
Looking forward to a great season of HS hoops. Good luck to all the teams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT