ADVERTISEMENT

Open Predictions

jaymel911

Sports Fanatic
Sep 16, 2015
Enough of who should be in or out. Enough of who will win the other divisions, the right to be the best can be claimed by winning the Open. The four years we have had four different nor cal champions. Bishop O'Dowd defeated St. Mary's Stockton in 2013, Salesian defeated Miramonte in 2014, St. Mary's Stockton defeated Miramonte in 2015 and Miramonte defeated Pinewood in 2016.

Who will claim the 2017 open championship. Here are my picks for round 1 only.

Mitty over Sacred Heart
Mitty is probably more upset than SHC over this seeding and will be out to prove once and for all who the WCAL best is and will always be. Mitty by 17

St. Mary's over Salesian
Overtime and it will take a 20 rebound performance by Decosta to get it done. Salesian is the hot hand right now and will give Stockton everything they have and a slight slip up and I can see Salesian winning. SMS by 3 in OT

BOD over Pinewood
first upset special. BOD will not make the same mistake three times, losing to Pinewood last year, losing to Salesian this year in NCS. Both of those games BOD rallied to fall short. They come out strong and limit the open looks for Pinewood who emptied the tank against Mitty. BOD By 5.

Cardinal Newman over Carondelet
Before you call me a homer, someone tell me the last big game Carondelet won? Let's think about it, 2016 untested in sections, first round loss in Open. 2015, upset in sections to an inferior Dublin team and they waste the gift of a #2 seed and lose to Presentation after getting a first round bye in d2. 2014 upset at home in the Open semifinals against Miramonte. 2013 lost at St. Mary's Stockton in the Open Semi-finals. 2012 (pre open) upset by Mitty at home in quarterfinals (beat them during the regular season). 2011 Lost in the NCS D1 section to Berkeley and again in the Nor Cal final. I don't see Carondelet as great team and in the last seven years I can't find a meaningful win and definitely they have not upset anyone but they have been upset on a number of occasions. They lose all the games they are supposed to lose and win most of the games they are supposed to win but if the team is anywhere near their talent they lose. Someone tell me that I am wrong.

CN By 7 on the road.

Reactions: basketba11
Enough of who should be in or out. Enough of who will win the other divisions, the right to be the best can be claimed by winning the Open. The four years we have had four different nor cal champions. Bishop O'Dowd defeated St. Mary's Stockton in 2013, Salesian defeated Miramonte in 2014, St. Mary's Stockton defeated Miramonte in 2015 and Miramonte defeated Pinewood in 2016.

Who will claim the 2017 open championship. Here are my picks for round 1 only.

Mitty over Sacred Heart
Mitty is probably more upset than SHC over this seeding and will be out to prove once and for all who the WCAL best is and will always be. Mitty by 17

St. Mary's over Salesian
Overtime and it will take a 20 rebound performance by Decosta to get it done. Salesian is the hot hand right now and will give Stockton everything they have and a slight slip up and I can see Salesian winning. SMS by 3 in OT

BOD over Pinewood
first upset special. BOD will not make the same mistake three times, losing to Pinewood last year, losing to Salesian this year in NCS. Both of those games BOD rallied to fall short. They come out strong and limit the open looks for Pinewood who emptied the tank against Mitty. BOD By 5.

Cardinal Newman over Carondelet
Before you call me a homer, someone tell me the last big game Carondelet won? Let's think about it, 2016 untested in sections, first round loss in Open. 2015, upset in sections to an inferior Dublin team and they waste the gift of a #2 seed and lose to Presentation after getting a first round bye in d2. 2014 upset at home in the Open semifinals against Miramonte. 2013 lost at St. Mary's Stockton in the Open Semi-finals. 2012 (pre open) upset by Mitty at home in quarterfinals (beat them during the regular season). 2011 Lost in the NCS D1 section to Berkeley and again in the Nor Cal final. I don't see Carondelet as great team and in the last seven years I can't find a meaningful win and definitely they have not upset anyone but they have been upset on a number of occasions. They lose all the games they are supposed to lose and win most of the games they are supposed to win but if the team is anywhere near their talent they lose. Someone tell me that I am wrong.

CN By 7 on the road.

In all fairness to this Carondelet team, this is not one of the Carondelet teams of the past. Secondly, the last time they pulled an upset and the only time that comes to my mind is this year at SMS, by this team. I have no prediction other than it should be a good game played by two quality teams. I think BOD and Pinewood also could go either way. The other two are relatively safe picks, but there are no guarantees.

May the games be injury free and played with class and good sportsmanship. Good luck to all teams.

Reactions: kkross22
Pinewood will find a way to win the coach is out of this World ......... The resume speaks to his greatness ........
His school has limitations if he was at a bigger school he would break every record there ever was fantastic coach and I hate girls basketball but this guy should be coaching in college!!

Reactions: Scoutus32
Doc is definitely a great shooting coach.. one of the best, but he can tell you that himself, and loves to. He's also a great high school coach. I don't think his scheme translates to college however. They can break down inferior defensive teams easily, but not nearly as easy when facing well coached athletes, which is what you would face in college. SMS uses superior athletes to run much of the same stuff, and Tom got turned down in his last try at a college job. Not saying it can't be done (see coach calipari when he was at memphis) but theres a reason why you don't see it as widely spread as you do in hs. IMO

Pinewood will find a way to win the coach is out of this World ......... The resume speaks to his greatness ........
His school has limitations if he was at a bigger school he would break every record there ever was fantastic coach and I hate girls basketball but this guy should be coaching in college!!
You lost me at "I hate girls basketball". Have a good day Frank.

Reactions: OnBall8
He is more than a shooting coach - Could he get players to Santa Clara University? I think so - Do you think he can't coach in West Coast league - Love Molly at USF but she should take notes on how doc attacks defenses. Jaymel911 that's Mr. Sinatra to you buddy

One thing: Doc doesn't like to travel that much, and college coaching entails a summer spent in airports and gyms around the country -- or at least around the West Coast.

And really, college coaching is about recruiting, recruiting, recruiting and then, for a break, more recruiting.

Good point Clay-Doc is happy coaching at Pinewood so everybody is happy so college coaching can be in another life time but I am just saying he is winning and his players are going to get better in 4 years if somebody wanted to take a chance!

A friend of mine sends his son to Doc's shooting sessions. He swears by him. It's difficult to argue with your points. It's near impossible to find any coach in the country who can match his resume and accomplishments when having so little to work with. This isn't Mitty where blue chip recruits show up year in and year out.

With any coach I would want to see success at the next level, physically, fundamentally and mentally before swearing by them. No question the kids at Pinewood can shoot the three and floaters, and they do that better than anyone.

I wasn't trying to put down Doc at all. As I said, great shooting coach and great high school coach. I agree he has the resume and accomplishments to put him with the best. I'm definitely not saying he doesn't. Lets not pretend that he's starting with nothing though, he gets talent. Sure maybe not in the volume that Mitty or SMS may get, but I saw them play St Francis and they had the better talent. Mix that with his skills teaching and its a dangerous combo. Don't forget.. Jones, Jump, and Astrom were probably the top 8th graders in the south bay 2 years ago and he got 2 out of 3

i was able to watch a replay of the Pinewood vs Mitty game. Kudos to Doc his girls definitely played a better game than last years section championship. Given that fact and watching that Mitty miss numerous layups, putbscks and chipees, I would still say Mitty wins 9 of ten games vs Pinewood. Mitty defended much better on the perimeter than I thought they would. There were also stretches where Pinewood really tried to slow the game down. I still say Doc has no solution for Mitty lengthy defenders

Likewise, saw the replay, and PW was much much more physical than last year. Even got away with some stuff away from the ball or on rebounds. The fact that they outrebounded Mitty is pretty huge. Mitty out rebounded C-Let by a huge margin, and C-Let is wayyy bigger as a team than PW. I think they had the right gameplan, and executed it decently but like you, Sjbasket, I'll take AM more times than not.

Now with all that said, I can still see Pinewood shooting the lights out and beating just about any team in the state.

What I really want to see is Mitty vs SMS in the battle of attrition. These teams remind me of the Oklahoma sooners and Nebraska Cornhuskers of the 70s and early 80s in which they would physically wear down an opponent to beat them I slightly give the edge to midi just given the fact they're a bit more discipline in their sets and are able to adjust on the fly a little bit better. But then again it may end up with who has just the hotter shooting team that night

Jaymel911

Is that a joke CN won't make out the first round!!!! Dam Puff Puff past what ever you are smoking!!!! Wake up this is not D4!!!!

I say that to at least a few people every year in our NCAA bracket pool.. Usually one of them ends up getting it right.

Let me clean this up for you so I better understand the note

Is that a joke? End the sentence and since a question was posed, use the question mark. Answer: No, not a joke I think they can beat Carondelet. It is the best match up they could have hoped for. Speed kills and I'm not sure Carondelet has the speed or at least enough to kill CN.

Dam? I am assuming you meant to type DAMN and with that you could use an exclamation point for emphasis and end that sentence.

Puff puff past? Assume you were making a movie reference where Chris Tucker tells Ice Cube (not lemonade) to puff puff pass, like pass the football or basketball. You write past as in the past. The sentence using past could be, in the past BC used to be a team that qualified for state.

Enjoy the off season my friend. Hopefully you have a "PAST" to get into all of the games this weekend because the "I'm an assistant coach" deal can't work with you wearing a matching mini me Pico sweatsuit but no BC team on the court.

Poof Puff Past that!

Is that a joke? End the sentence and since a question was posed, use the question mark. Answer: No, not a joke I think they can beat Carondelet. It is the best match up they could have hoped for. Speed kills and I'm not sure Carondelet has the speed or at least enough to kill CN.

Dam? I am assuming you meant to type DAMN and with that you could use an exclamation point for emphasis and end that sentence.

Puff puff past? Assume you were making a movie reference where Chris Tucker tells Ice Cube (not lemonade) to puff puff pass, like pass the football or basketball. You write past as in the past. The sentence using past could be, in the past BC used to be a team that qualified for state.

Enjoy the off season my friend. Hopefully you have a "PAST" to get into all of the games this weekend because the "I'm an assistant coach" deal can't work with you wearing a matching mini me Pico sweatsuit but no BC team on the court.

Poof Puff Past that!

Jaymel911
what OPEN game will you be at Friday? if you are at the CN game...come introduce yourself.

PayTC.... come say hi also

id like to put the faces to the names!!!

Good luck to everybody !!! (not so much for CLET though):rolleyes: haha

Jaymel911

They 7 and 8 seed always thrown to dogs as an appetizer before the 2nd round game. That's just the way it is!!! Their no team like Pinewood last year that will upset in the first round of the open. At least CN will be able to play in D4 next year. Your section commissioner is not like the one in the SJS and put you in D1 for his personal Vendetta.
Good luck but your going to need more the that. Carondelet is a very Physical team and pass very well.

Jaymel911
what OPEN game will you be at Friday? if you are at the CN game...come introduce yourself.

PayTC.... come say hi also

id like to put the faces to the names!!!

Good luck to everybody !!! (not so much for CLET though):rolleyes: haha
Pinewood and BOD.

Jaymel911

They 7 and 8 seed always thrown to dogs as an appetizer before the 2nd round game. That's just the way it is!!! Their no team like Pinewood last year that will upset in the first round of the open. At least CN will be able to play in D4 next year. Your section commissioner is not like the one in the SJS and put you in D1 for his personal Vendetta.
Good luck but your going to need more the that. Carondelet is a very Physical team and pass very well.
I am with you on the SJS. With all of the team call ups it seems crazy that bc WAS NOT CALLED UP TO D1

Poof Puff Past that!

Now that was frickin funny

Supposedly next year the committee will place teams in divisions regardless of section assignment or recommendation. That said, I'm pretty sure Newman will be D3 in NCS, replacing O'Dowd, which will jump to D2. Campolindo's getting close too ...

But what if all the strong teams opted up to D1, and created a sort-of Open? NCS got six teams from one division in this year, and the result would be that the top two or three would go Open, and the others would drop to D1, just like in the South. Since they'll all wind up D1 anyway, why not settle the NorCal seeding on the court?

But what if all the strong teams opted up to D1, and created a sort-of Open? NCS got six teams from one division in this year, and the result would be that the top two or three would go Open, and the others would drop to D1, just like in the South. Since they'll all wind up D1 anyway, why not settle the NorCal seeding on the court?

Who are the 6 NCS D1 teams? I count 5, C-Let in the Open, and Heritage, Logan, Berkeley, Castro Valley in D1.

Observe22

Tell me this how does the CA D1 Brookside is ranked #30? How does Brookside not make the playoffs?? Black balled by SJS commissioner!!!!!!!!!!

Kiddman32

Pick are good but BOD and Pinewood is a toss up.

Predictions are like super bowl hype. I don't even waste a lot of time getting into speculation. Just kick the ball off and enjoy the game(s). Start with tonight's games.

We all know everyone won't like the final score of any of the games. But some things are inevitable.

Last edited:
Jaymel911

Because Brooksude was Black balled by the commissioner / head of basketball committee SJS. In the top 20 maxprep SJS whole Sections Brookside was ranked number 5 but everyone underneath them went except one other team. You tell me that not Black balled by the GOOD OLD BOYS OF THE SJS SECTION.

I got to say see you in court SJS commissioner and Frankin head coach of girls basketball $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Allowing bulleYing to go on!!!!!

This probably won't be up long again. STREAK ONE TOOK DOWN LAST POST NOT A RUMORS. ITS documented document it at the appeal board meeting FEB 1,2017 SJS section look it up before you say it's not a fact. Read the appeal. Franklin coach did even show up because he knew the bulleYing kids was going to show up.
I love to fire you up RespectBB but if this is true it is a sad state of affairs for everyone involved. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: basketba11
Predictions are like super bowl hype. I don't even waste a lot of time getting into speculation. Just kick the ball off and enjoy the game(s). Start with tonight's games.

We all know everyone won't like the final score of any of the games. But some things are inevitable.
Paytc can you update Max preps Saturday so I can have updates in the Los Altos Hills?

Paytc can you update Max preps Saturday so I can have updates in the Los Altos Hills?

I'm pretty sure you won't have to wait till Saturday. We will all know the results of all the games by 8 or 9pm Friday, if not sooner.

Last edited:
Jaymel911

Because Brooksude was Black balled by the commissioner / head of basketball committee SJS. In the top 20 maxprep SJS whole Sections Brookside was ranked number 5 but everyone underneath them went except one other team. You tell me that not Black balled by the GOOD OLD BOYS OF THE SJS SECTION.

I got to say see you in court SJS commissioner and Frankin head coach of girls basketball $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Allowing bulleYing to go on!!!!!

This probably won't be up long again. STREAK ONE TOOK DOWN LAST POST NOT A RUMORS. ITS documented document it at the appeal board meeting FEB 1,2017 SJS section look it up before you say it's not a fact. Read the appeal. Franklin coach did even show up because he knew the bulleYing kids was going to show up.

if the document is out there, then post it. Not my job to chase down other people's rumors, especially ones I believe to be false. If it is out there, post it and I will say I am wrong. If not, the post will be taken down tonight.

I will I going to ask a parent for that actual facts. And you probably take it down to since it's one of the GOOD OLD BOYS FOR SJS .

But why did you take down the the fact that Brookside was ranked # 20 in D1 in THE WHOLE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. ITS ON MAXPREP!!!! WHEN YOU PAY FOR THIS SITE I GUESS YOU TAKE AWAY "THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ACT" YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT'S NOT A FACT. THIS SOUNDS LIKE TRUMP HATING ON THE NEWS REPORTS!! THIS IS A SITE THAT PAID FOR RIGHT.

So which OPEN games outcomes are inevitable?
Just curious

Streak One

That mean you are bias to news right. It's not a rumor until you can prove it wrong and give prove. You are violating FREEDOM OF SPEECH and FREEDOM OF THE PRESS because this being a paid site as a form is being a report and their point of view!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT