ADVERTISEMENT

Open Predictions

Pure shot in the dark here but ill bite. The numbers do not indicate seeding.

1. Bishop O'Dowd
2. El Cerrito
3. DLS/Monte Vista (If either wins NCS D-1)
4. Winner of CCS Open
5. Modesto Christian
6. Folsom

Possible others based on wins and loses of above field

7. Sac High
8. Mitty (if they get to Championship of CCS win or lose)
9. Drake (If they get to NCS Championship against O'Dowd)

Other really outside chances

10. St. Francis (If they win the CCS open convincingly)
11. Moreau Catholic (If they win NCS D-3 Championship)
12. Monte Vista (If they lose to DLS in D-1 Championship)

Im not to sure anyone outside of these teams can even be thought about (unless I'm missing some one?)

I think that is a good list. I just see such a distance between ODOWD and the rest. I guess anybody on any given night. I mean Marin Catholic beat Bishop Montgomery and Jesuit knocked off Bishop Gorman this year. Those are 2 absolutely crazy upsets. If Asiasi was playing hoops this year for DLS I think arguably they would be right there with anybody including ODOWD. There lack of post presence is starting to show IMO.

Even putting 8 teams together this year is tough.

I like the list but what about campolindo? They have wins over El Cerrito,Modesto Christian,St.Mary's(stockton) and some other good wins, they will win their league but in D3 they will have to face Moreau,Drake again(they lost to Drake early in season) and Bishop Odowd in championship........

I dont believe there will be a CCS team in the Open field. Mitty was the favorite but they have slid. They could finish the year strong but end up doing a Monte Vista and opt not to play in Open if selected. St. Francis though has the record, does not have prior criteria to qualify. I could be wrong because the criteria for a mortal like me is sometimes confusing.

I agree with all of Fentons pic, except CCS rep, I would say Moreau Catholic would be the 6th team.

There is no prior "criteria" needed for a team to qualify for the open. As we all know turnover from year to year at the high school level can change a team's makeup from year to year. The selection will look at your record and whom you have played and beaten that year. Now programs like DeLaSalle, Mitty and such that have history of doing well in their sections(Ccs, Ncs) will obviously get the benefit of the doubt if they are opting up. A teams record that year along with whom they have BEATEN, not just played is I say 95% of the equation. The other is how far you advance in your section playoffs. I know CCS sends its two finalists in the Open to the NorCal open and the rest fall into their divisions.

Oen run you are kidding right? There is absolutely criteria.......http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/CIF_BASKETBALL_OPEN_DIVISION_CRITERIA.pdf

Heat,

I've been in those meetings and all those bylaws get taken into consideration if the school has a history. It varies from year to year however. The CIF won't leave out a school like say Half Moon Bay if they win CCS open this year cus they have no prior credentials. Saint Francis will have the same case of they win the WCAL and CCS open. Trust me when I say that the bylaws are only used as tie breakers if there are more than enough deserving teams or teams opting up. The biggest thing they look at is the year that is the present year.

The tough part with filling out an Open Bracket is you have to take from every section. Even if you take the four max teams from NCS and two from SJS, that's only six. It's doable, but a much harder process without CCS.

Streak,

Good point. Its about filling a 6 team bracket (I don't see them going more than six teams because then you have to go to 8 and really thats a stretch)

NCS-3 Teams
SJS- 2 Teams
CCS-1 Team

And that gives you the six team bracket and its pretty equitable with the population and competitiveness of these sections.

OpenRun,

Please give us an example of a team that was pulled up to the Open that did NOT meet the criteria in HEAT's memo.

Also the poster who referred to Monte Vista opting out of the Open has it wrong. Monte Vista did NOT meet the Open criteria, therefore they would have had to petition to be included. They chose not to petition to be in the Open - they were not a qualifier which opted out.

And while he's at it , since its about the moment and not criteria , then explain why a 32 win FOLSOM team was not in the open

Last year the Southern Section sent 8 to Open, while Northern sent 6. To be honest, I think the criteria is garbage. A simple eye test will tell you who is an Open team and who is not.

Monte Vista last year was an Open team. Im very happy they were able to beat Centennial in D1. However their team was an Open team. Bosco last year had ZERO business being in D2. Chaminade and Bishop Montgomery also. Im not saying that because they won their Divisions, but just look at their teams, their players and compare them to their Northern counterparts. Its not even competitive balance.

The best teams in that current year need to play against the best teams. State titles will always be watered down because you have teams that should be playing at the top division get put in their respective size divisions and its demolition derby.

In the CCS Open Bracket it is looking like this
St. Francis
Mitty
Serra
Riordan or the team that finished fourth in WCAL
Half Moon Bay
Sacred Heart Prep
Palma
Winner of MHAL
Leland?? Might get bumped back down to D2 because no more than 3 teams from any division can be put into the Open division.

Last year someone on this board had what I thought was a good idea. Have everyone play in their divisions based on size and then have each state division winner play in a tournament to determine the overall state winner. The arguments against that would be 1) the season becomes longer and 2) the private schools would win all of the divisions. The answer to the first argument is that the only thing that would be delayed if an overall state championship was added is the start of club season. A lot of the high school players go straight to their club team as soon as the season is over anyway so they are still playing basketball. The second argument can be answered by having a separate public and private school championship but it seems to me that a good team would want to play the best competition regardless if they were public or private.

Doesn't matter who gets put in the CCS Open.

Three years into this silly experiment, the section is still waiting for a non-WCAL team to beat a WCAL team. Granted it took an 80 foot ESPN Sports Center highlight shot for Sacred Heart Cathedral to beat Half Moon Bay last year, but that was the worst WCAL team in Open against probably the best public in the section.

This year it will be same - the WCAL teams will suffer losses only amongst themselves in the second round while the publics move the wrong direction in the bracket to determine who is simply 5th in the Open bracket - or what they call the Consolation Champion!

Boring.

I've seen both SHP and HMB play a few times this year I would put money that one of them if not both will win in the open against a wcal team. They play hard and tough and half size especially hmb

The CCS D4 teams mentioned have more parity with the WCAL than many believe, but Sacred Heart Prep has already defeated a WCAL team already (Bellarmine by 12 points). Even though Bells record is mid WCAL standing, Bells have defeated the WCALs best. WCAL's best will have to play their A games to win the CCS Open Division. I think it's a matter of CCS WCAL teams being a little down this year and the D4 teams mentioned seem to be playing at a higher level. In general though, there are no elite teams in CCS this year as far as having a good shot at winning the Norcal Open bracket.

This year playoff change: All teams selected to participate in the CCS Open playoff and champions of DI-V will receive an automatic qualification for the Northern California Regional Tournament as will some runners up in DI-V.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT