ADVERTISEMENT

Padres roll Mitty

CityGame

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Padres dominate Mitty in San Mateo 72-46. Serra was up 30-11 at half. In control the entire game. Kone had a couple of put backs but Serra took everything away.

I think I've had the WCAL figured out a couple times this year and then games like this happen. It has been a long time since Mitty got beat like this in league play.

Mitty's soph, Much, did not appear in the boxscore. Did he play last night? Seems like they struggle offensively without him. Not that it may have mattered as the Padres are very hard to beat in the Jungle.
Originally posted by Streak One:
I think I've had the WCAL figured out a couple times this year and then games like this happen. It has been a long time since Mitty got beat like this in league play.

Refs let it get out of hand in the first half and then totally changed it up in the second, Mitty was without Much but the way they shot the ball it wouldnt have mattered. There was one ref that just made it obvious lol! Everyone was just shaking their heads. He was chatting it up with Serras coaches on every timeout as well as the Serra people seated below the rim. Just strange to me. On a nuetral floor there is no way this happens.

This post was edited on 2/12 10:27 AM by PAL95

PAL - you indicate Mitty was without Much as well as shot terrible, so how did the refs influence the game?
Any idea what refs were talking to Serra coaches about?

PAL is just a Serra Hater. Every post is negative towards Serra. According to him no matter where they play they get the calls. He said the same thing when Serra beat Mitty at Mitty. Serra wins because of the refs. I was sitting right behind the Serra bench and the refs never had conversations with the coaches. The paper said Mitty shot 20% from the field in the first half and had over 20 turnover for the game. I think that had more to do with it then the refs. SOUR GRAPES!

Yes it was a heavy set guy with gray hair and he was whistle happy in the first half that led to the 20 point lead which is tough tocome back from in league play. I shouldnt have said refs, but it was one in particular that had alot to do with first half blowout. Mittys Kone was getting fouls called on him for just jumping up and snatching a rebound, but on the other end he was getting beat down with no calls. Countless amount of no calls on Mittys guards penetrations as well as missed obvious 10 second violation and travel calls that were made incorrect. Ive been around hoops for a long time and I have never seen one ref dismantle a first half. I will say in the second the calls were evenly, but the point is keep it consistent thoughout the WHOLE game on how you are going to ref it.

Hmmmmmm ......... heavy set? Was it Ray Ratto or "Technical" Tommy .... of years past.

Serraprs- you have got to be kidding me if you think I am the only one that has problems with the refs when playing at Serra! Numerous people even after the game said this has been going on for years even in their playing days! You must not have been watching the same game as I was. Come playoff time all that extra shoving and hacking will be stopped and as well as their season lol!

This post was edited on 2/12 1:14 PM by PAL95

And dont get me wrong, I still think Serra would have won the game, but not in a 30 point blowout fashion.

and lets not forget as you stated after the first Serra-Mitty game at Mitty, it was the terrible officiating and after Bellarmine beat them it was the officiating. Sounds like sour grapes to me. As far as the postseason, a program that does not have a lot of DI talent, sure makes it far in the postseason. CCS open finals every year, norcal playoffs for the last 6,7 years, losing to eventual Norcal champ Folsom by 2 at Folsom last year. oh yeah all those games are on the road. Good thing Serra gets to pick the refs or they would never win a game. Admit it and move on -you are a Serra hater!

Whether the refs are good, bad or just mediocre, the Serra home court advantage in San Mateo is impressive. When that gym on West 20th Avenue is packed to the rafters with Serra people going nuts and the band blaring, it can be an intimidating place for sure. That's why the St. Francis win there was noteworthy.

Actually the jungle was pretty dead last night with plenty of open seating. And yes you can call me a Serra home game ref hater because thats what I am. Good luck in a shortlived CCS run!

I gave your dumbasses some credit by saying you still would have won the game regardless, but not by that margin. Learn how to read. I had an opinion on the officiating and voiced it and im sure its not the first and the last time it will be brought up. I never said Serra players were garbage and never said Rapp was a bad coach. Serra has a few nice pieces on that squad that can play. Their big man is solid and has nice touch and tje guards can penetrate and shoot. I respect Rapp as a coach, but im not holding back on what I said about that official period end of discussion.

This post was edited on 2/12 4:35 PM by PAL95

Serdaprs- Was it not you who quoted that in the Riordan Serra game that it was a football game and the refs should turn in their whistles?

There is no denying Chuck Rapp is in control of games at Serra and not the refs!!
I've seen him on the other side of half court on the court after being warned and still not get T'd.
It's a joke. Stay off the court and in your box or the refs should T him after being warned!!

It's like the refs are scared to hold him accountable. Not to mention as stated before, the Padres get away with hacking, pulling, and grabbing at will at their place.
Why? Because refs are scared to put him in his place. Certain refs are worried about get dinged for playoff's!
De la Salle is another place you will never get calls. Why? The refs don't want Alloco to ding them! So the refs allow their teams to play extremely physical and not get called for it.
Which inherently puts the road team in a big deficit.

You are correct, the Riordan game @ Riordan was ugly and so was the Mitty game at Mitty.and so was the St. Francis game at Mitty and so was the Bellarmine game at St. Francis. I watch a lot of basketball. The refs let a lot of things go, but your hater posts insinuate that the only reason why Serra ever wins is because of the refs and that is bull****.

Good luck to your Monarchs the rest of the season. I root for them every time they don't play Serra. I think coach Kennedy is a great coach and as a padre alumni a great person. Loved watching him play in high school and at LMU. If Rapp ever retires I hope we can steal him back to his roots.

As far as Rapp on the court, well 6th man of the year-LOL

Hmm, not so sure about rookie poster "Lincoln240" slinging acusations like a hash cook at a highway greasy spoon. More likely a fan not happy with the outcome of the game. If facts to support the claims about "scared refs" or refs in cahoots with coach Rapp of Serra I for one would support action against such refs.

Reading the posts I think most readers will chock it up to sour grapes as one Serra fan posted - a knowledgable fan who posted stats of the game refuting any preferential treatment for either team. When a program wins consistently there will always be such claims they are recruiting or the refs are conspiring against the opposing team as DLS has been subjected to for years. Serra has a winning tradition in BB & will likely hear these claims as long as they are winning. Simply put Mitty didn't bring their "A Game" last night at Serra which doesn't change that they are one of the top WCAL teams & likewise that Serra was simply the better team last night, period.
This post was edited on 2/12 9:00 PM by Rmbr26

Hmm, not a rookie poster and why would that matter?! My observations (in your words acusations (sp)) are one's in which, I have seen and witnessed.
Serra and De la Salle have a lot in common. Two well respected and successful coach's. Two Coach's that preach defense. They will force refs to make calls on hand-checking and movement of cutter. The refs allow it. By the the time the other team reacts to the way the officials are calling the game, it is to late. I have seen this happen more often at their home courts than on the road. very similar to the Seahawks defensive backfield in recent years.
I am not saying the refs are in "cahoots" with either coach. What I am saying is most of these refs are intimidated by them because of their resumes and tenure.

Refs are human. They will only call so much. If a team is pressing, hacking, holding, grabbing, shoving and manhandling an opponent, refs will make some calls. But, as the game proceeds, they get tired of constant calls and tend to let more and more go. So, maybe 25 percent of the really gross fouls are called. The rest, no. Which means 75 percent (or some pretty high percentage) does not get called. Advantage to the aggressor.

I agree with that assessment, somewhat, as that how refs call the games in WCAL play. Once NorCal regionals are played, you can throw that out the door as games are called really tight - which in many cases gets WCAL teams in foul trouble early.
Originally posted by colhenrylives:
Refs are human. They will only call so much. If a team is pressing, hacking, holding, grabbing, shoving and manhandling an opponent, refs will make some calls. But, as the game proceeds, they get tired of constant calls and tend to let more and more go. So, maybe 25 percent of the really gross fouls are called. The rest, no. Which means 75 percent (or some pretty high percentage) does not get called. Advantage to the aggressor.

I like to see a hard fought HS basketball game like everyone else and I seen plenty of them. I also see how refs control the game which drives me crazy. If one team is dominating, sometimes it's obvious that refs call questionable fouls on the team that is dominating to keep things close. But you get that in College and NBA. It's kind of why I don't watch college and NBA games until the last qtr most of the times.

I've been to the jungle a couple of times and it is intimidating for the visiting team. The announcer is pure entertainment. But there was one JV game that I attended before the Varsity game. It was hard to watch. In the end, there were 21 fouls called on the visiting team and 1 against Serra. The visiting team didn't even get to the FT line. Serra eventually won but only 1 point. And they won it on the FT line. Hard to play defense when you can't play defense knowing that you are going to get called.

@CAPTAIN MORGAN who said @BKWRDKUROUT - I thought I was the only one who
remembers Ray Ratto reffing high school basketball.

Sadly no, but I am trying to think back at when my earliest memory is of Ratto reffing? Maybe the 1980's?

This post was edited on 2/14 3:27 PM by BKWRDKUROUT

Close enough. I'm thinking circa 1984 but I could be wrong. That was a long time ago. In Ratto's case a lot of lbs ago.

Originally posted by CAPTAIN MORGAN:
Close enough. I'm thinking circa 1984 but I could be wrong. That was a long time ago. In Ratto's case a lot of lbs ago.
Did he ref in a black and white vertical sweater?

Serra 66 Bellarmine 40. Game was @ Bellarmine. The only reason Serra won was because of the refs and Rapp was on the court.

Really, it got ugly again? Should the refs turn in their whistles?

Serra 66 Bellarmine 40. Game was @ Bellarmine. The only reason Serra won was because of the refs and Rapp was on the court.

And in good "Once a Padre Always a Padre" form, Chuck had one hand tied behind his back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT