Gonzales
Greenfield
Stevenson
Harbor
Pajaro Valley
San Lorenzo Valley
Marina

Last edited:
The Biggest take away is that they eliminated the (B-) Cypress league., now both Mission Divisions will be guaranteed 2 automatic playoff spots. Soquel and Alavarez will be the Gabilan sacrificial lambs this year, while Monterey will not win the Gabilan, they should compete well with the big 4 for at least a year or 2.

I personally like the attempt to set up the Mission schools geographically. It does allow some old MTAL and SCCAL rivals to be together again, and stay together in most years.

I was a little surprised that RLS and either Gonzales or Greenfield were not bumped up into the mission, and Watsonville and North Monterey bumped down to the Santa Lucia. Its ok as now RLS has great chance to defend its WORLD League Championship.

At the end of the Day the PCAL has 4 "elite" programs: Aptos, Salinas, Palma and Hollister and 3 "Improving programs": Harbor, Marina, & Pajaro Valley, the other 21 schools can be compete with each other on a year in year out basis.

What I hope this does is open a possible merge with the BVAL and combine the top MHAL teams with the top Gabilan teams.

Reactions: Streak One
The Biggest take away is that they eliminated the (B-) Cypress league., now both Mission Divisions will be guaranteed 2 automatic playoff spots. Soquel and Alavarez will be the Gabilan sacrificial lambs this year, while Monterey will not win the Gabilan, they should compete well with the big 4 for at least a year or 2.

I personally like the attempt to set up the Mission schools geographically. It does allow some old MTAL and SCCAL rivals to be together again, and stay together in most years.

I was a little surprised that RLS and either Gonzales or Greenfield were not bumped up into the mission, and Watsonville and North Monterey bumped down to the Santa Lucia. Its ok as now RLS has great chance to defend its WORLD League Championship.

At the end of the Day the PCAL has 4 "elite" programs: Aptos, Salinas, Palma and Hollister and 3 "Improving programs": Harbor, Marina, & Pajaro Valley, the other 21 schools can be compete with each other on a year in year out basis.

What I hope this does is open a possible merge with the BVAL and combine the top MHAL teams with the top Gabilan teams.
The Gilroy and Morgan Hill teams bounced from the PCAL to the MHAL because they couldn't compete against the big 4. Why would they want to return?

Read the article on all of this in the Herald - Monterey and Soquel should be okay and at the minimum they should compete for the 5th spot and make it into the playoffs. Also, Is the Rancho San Juan guy actually serious that the two B leagues were close to equal? Get Real! A lot crying when coming in 3rd in a lower tier league while scheduling NOBODY! Had quite a few stud athletes but what do they finish in the Mission last year, 5th? 6th?

Best thing this new alignment does is it spreads out the "quality" B teams and could now get four of the better teams in whereas before it might have only been three before since one was coming from the Cypress.

The Gilroy and Morgan Hill teams bounced from the PCAL to the MHAL because they couldn't compete against the big 4. Why would they want to return?
Could be the right time
Im sure both were hurt by the addition of high schools, but geographically makes more sense. The PCAL is the weakest it has been in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT