10am - Jesuit 54 - Yuba City 40

Games Later Today...
11am - #7 Grant vs. #10 Central Valley
12pm - #6 Kennedy vs. #11 Woodcreek
1pm - #1 Sheldon vs. winner of CO / Capital Christian
2pm - #4 Folsom vs. winner of Jesuit / Yuba City
3pm - #2 Freedom vs. winner of Grant / Central Valley
4pm - #3 Burbank vs. winner of Kennedy / Woodcreek

Sheldon beat Capital Christian, Folsom, and Burbank to capture the Platinum Division title.

Capital Christian reloaded and should easily be class of their division
Folsom solid as usual. Ford, Finch, and Wall will have to carry heavy load
Burbank is long and athletic and should make a serious run at Metro title
Grant showing they will compete in the loaded Delta
Jesuit with new coach will take time to gel but still put in a great weekend
Kennedy competitive but down a notch + from previous years. Will be tough to get by Burbank and Sac
Woodcreek made Platinum without Brown, but they will definitely need him
Cosumnes Oaks not quite top tier team in this Division

Who is the new coach at Jesuit? Hadn't heard anything about Harcos leaving.

Sheldon is really fun to watch. Ball movement is 2nd to none. No egos and have the perfect combination of knowing when to share the ball and when to attack. 3 above average high IQ guards that can attack and make plays is dangerous. They are cocky but I think they are closer to their ceiling than CC and Folsom.
Folsom has lots of work but had 2 great defenders missing this weekend. Size isnt the issue, its the FG%.

Drew Cobb has also stepped up his game and could pretty much get to the rack anytime he wanted and also had tremendous court vision dropping several dimes. Let's not forget Sheldon also played without their leading scorer Matt Manning.

Grant looked really good in the Platinum division this weekend as well. No seniors on the roster beat a tough freedom team in the quarterfinals. Very skilled can shoot the three ball, athletic and well coached. one big away from making a lot of nose.

H.E.A.T., I agree with your assessment of Cobb this weekend. He got to the rack at will and used great post moves to score. He should be considered one of the top juniors to watch in Nor Cal. The guard trio of Green, Brooks, and Duplechan was very impressive and gave teams matchup problems all weekend. Duplechan another top junior player. Where was Manning?

Who is the new coach at Jesuit? Hadn't heard anything about Harcos leaving.
I believe Harcos took the schools AD job and one of the assistants is now the Head Coach. Sorry, I don't have a name for you.

Looks like it is Jon Rotz is the head coach, according to the school website.

Sheldon is going to be SCARY this season....GREAT chemistry and ball movement. They lack size and bulk on the frontline but they make it up with pressure defense

Sheldon is going to be SCARY this season....GREAT chemistry and ball movement. They lack size and bulk on the frontline but they make it up with pressure defense

The seeding for the platinum division was awful the top 4 teams were all on the top half of the bracket. I assume they did it by point differential so nothing could be done about it. Sheldon looked really tough even without manning. They all defend individually at a super high level. Duplechan was the most impressive guard I saw including Ford. Is CC even on the CIF radar? Everyone knows exactly whats going on over there and who is paying for these kids. Can't imagine they won't get pinched soon.

Where does Sheldon rate among the upper echelon of schools this coming season. Will they end up as an open division team. Can they compete with Chino Hills, Mater Dei, Sierra Canyon, Crespi, Fairfax, Corona Centennial etc... Also who am I missing that may be at that level ???

Sheldon will be very tough in SJS but I don't see them on the same level as a few of the Bay Area powers like DLS, Mitty, EC, and Moreau. Mitty and DLS should be loaded with all that returning talent. Also I'm not discounting Modesto Christian either. They lost WU and Townes but return a lot.

I wasn't a big harcos fan at Jesuit. Glad a change was made.

Sheldon will be very tough in SJS but I don't see them on the same level as a few of the Bay Area powers like DLS, Mitty, EC, and Moreau. Mitty and DLS should be loaded with all that returning talent. Also I'm not discounting Modesto Christian either. They lost WU and Townes but return a lot.

I wasn't a big harcos fan at Jesuit. Glad a change was made.

You are pretty far off base sheldon is better than just about everyone you listed. Mitty might be the only team that can beat them. Dls is not Dls of the past and mc gets beat by 45 any time they play someone legit. Sheldon is clearly a top 3 team in NorCal. I assume you haven't even seen them play this summer.

Sheldon is good, but not even close to being an elite high school team. In NorCal it will be DLS, EL Cerrito, and Moroue. Modesto Christian just because they are in Sjc conference.

DLS is not the DLS of the past. ha ha…. Talk to me later in the season. Same spartan team that beat D1 state champ SRV 3x last year. You don't watch a lot of hoops if think Modesto Christian gets beat by 45. They lost to probably the best team I've seen in Norcals in 20 years (ODOWD) by 9 in Norcal open last year. SHeldon will be good but lets not get carried away.

DLS is not the DLS of the past. ha ha…. Talk to me later in the season. Same spartan team that beat D1 state champ SRV 3x last year. You don't watch a lot of hoops if think Modesto Christian gets beat by 45. They lost to probably the best team I've seen in Norcals in 20 years (ODOWD) by 9 in Norcal open last year. SHeldon will be good but lets not get carried away.

Moreau catholic genius not Modesto Christian. Sheldon is way way better then el Cerrito or Moreau catholic.

Sheldon is good, but not even close to being an elite high school team. In NorCal it will be DLS, EL Cerrito, and Moroue. Modesto Christian just because they are in Sjc conference.

El cerrito hmmm
Interesting, even though they just graduated there pg Davis and alcorn? No Mitty on that list? 0 credibility for you

Last edited:
Reactions: ?mansf

Larry, the past is the past, regardless.
DLS and Mitty will be good, but you have to take into account the new coach at de la. (That matters, even if it is an assistant taking over).

1) Mitty -
2) Sheldon
3) DLS
4) Moreau
This is where it gets difficult
5) el cerrito
6) Sac high
7) Modesto
8) Folsom
9) capital

There is a few darkhorses - bellarmine
Woodcreek, Newark, monte vista (with transfer),

Last edited:
flagrant- Good list. Always hard to say this early on. There seems to be a team like MV or Campo that pops up every year that nobody really paid attention too until you realized they were good.

As for DLS, I think you have an ideal situation for a new look coach to take a potentially excellent team to greatness. Maybe I'm a dreamer but I would love to see Asiasi play after football.

Let's not forget about Odowd, they have one of the best backcourts in NorCal not to mention a few solid post players.

Let's not forget about Odowd, they have one of the best backcourts in NorCal not to mention a few solid post players.

I watched them a couple times over summer. They took a few beatings, and the backcourt is no where near Sheldon, Folsom, or el cerrito. But O'Dowd will surely get a transfer or 2. They will be competitive but not against the top tiers this year. Losing rabb and Austin, speaks for itself.

Larry i know it pains you to have to say Sheldon is good but like 27-0 asked have you seen them yet. They return everyone. They steam rolled the Sheldon Franklin summer tourney without MAtt Manning and Blake Mason. They shared the ball well and played good defense. They averaged 89 points a game and gave up 46 for the 7 games. They had a 118,110 and 96 point games. In Sundays Platinum Bracket they beat Capital Christian and Folsom by double digits and beat Burbank 84-57 in the Final. They also won the Dougherty Valley 60 team Tourney beating University by 30, DLS by 20 and BOD by 79- 41 in pool play, then beat Liberty by 30 and Clovis west by 20 in Champion bracket before beating Modesto Christian 71-61 in the final after Modesto knocked off Mitty.

I know its early and the summer but Sheldon went 30-1 winning Dougherty and Sheldon/Franklin tourneys, went 6-0 in Fresno and at Jesuit, and 5-1 at UOP. 2 wins vs Modesto Christian, BOD,Folsom,Capital Cristian,Jesuit,Reading Pennsylvania,and Split with DLS.
I agree with Larry that DLS will be good. It is however a totally different look as they look to push the ball up the floor and take a lot of 3's,
Mitty has the Beasts in Much and Kone but guard play once again could be there achilles hill.

EVERY ONE MARK YOUR CALENDAR. EARLY SEASON MATCHUP PITTS FOLSOM AT SHELDON ON DEC 2. Sheldon will also entertain Mitty and go to El Cerrito in early December before heading to Vegas for the Tarkanian classic. They open at the Norcal Tip off against Army-Navy from San Diego. Never short on competition at Sheldon.

Last edited:
Sheldon are not as good as you think they are. They are probably the only team in June that was playing their starters the whole time. Dls lost to them at Dougherty because they were platooning in there subsitions with 3 groups of 5. When they replayed them again at Pacific DLS did the samething until 4th quarter and then they pulled away with it. If you were to match up starters to starters for the whole game DLS would win by 20 every time. Don't get to excited!! It is early.. El Cerrito has not even had there whole squad out at every game. DLS should be at the top of that list easly at the end.. If Asiasi plays it would not even be a conversation..

Played a long time and have watched a lot as you know. One thing I give very little credibility too is summer league, pre-season games, 7 v 7 passing leagues, 3 on 3 shirts vs skins, knockout, and 21. Different coaches have different philosophy's in the summer. How does this guy work with the first or 2nd unit.? Sheldon is going to be good. No doubt about it. There Achilles heel will be lack of size at an elite level.

Sheldon are not as good as you think they are. They are probably the only team in June that was playing their starters the whole time. Dls lost to them at Dougherty because they were platooning in there subsitions with 3 groups of 5. When they replayed them again at Pacific DLS did the samething until 4th quarter and then they pulled away with it. If you were to match up starters to starters for the whole game DLS would win by 20 every time. Don't get to excited!! It is early.. El Cerrito has not even had there whole squad out at every game. DLS should be at the top of that list easly at the end.. If Asiasi plays it would not even be a conversation..

0 athleticism, new coach, platoon subbing, 1-point win is running away with it. Sheldon is not good. Mitty isn't even competitive to DLS. Got it.

Everyone pack it up and go home, DLS is gonna win it all. No point in even having HS basketball in nor cal.

Sports09, come back down to earth with us please.

Reactions: Coach Greene
Sports what are you smoking. First off if you read I said DLS would be good. Sheldon almost never played their starting five. They probably have 9 players that will start at any time. They played guys who probably won't make the team. Their starting center just came back on last day of Sheldon tourney. Matt Manning played one and of the 7.
At doughrty Sheldon won by 20. At Uop Dls must have shot 70 % from 3 from guys that won't play come season and Sheldon shot poorly. It happens.Even with that it was 65-64 with 17 seconds .DLS was taking it out under Sheldon Basket. Should have been 5 sec call but they gave them a Time out.
Both teams are good but with your assessment it tells me you haven't seen Sheldon play. They are good. Don't think for a second that everybody who plays them doesnt want to win . 30-1 in Spring ,Summer.Winter or fall is good.
Weren't you the one who started a thread win DLS. Beat Sac high. Why crickets when they got waxed by Sheldon at Dougherty. You didn't hear me on this board.

Sports what are you smoking. First off if you read I said DLS would be good. Sheldon almost never played their starting five. They probably have 9 players that will start at any time. They played guys who probably won't make the team. Their starting center just came back on last day of Sheldon tourney. Matt Manning played one and of the 7.
At doughrty Sheldon won by 20. At Uop Dls must have shot 70 % from 3 from guys that won't play come season and Sheldon shot poorly. It happens.Even with that it was 65-64 with 17 seconds .DLS was taking it out under Sheldon Basket. Should have been 5 sec call but they gave them a Time out.
Both teams are good but with your assessment it tells me you haven't seen Sheldon play. They are good. Don't think for a second that everybody who plays them doesnt want to win . 30-1 in Spring ,Summer.Winter or fall is good.
Weren't you the one who started a thread win DLS. Beat Sac high. Why crickets when they got waxed by Sheldon at Dougherty. You didn't hear me on this board.

I have been disappointed with the development of young and Terrell at sac hi. They look to be the exact same players as they were as sophomores. Both were physical mature early and their skill sets have not improved. Both were dropped from rivals 150 this week.

There won't be a dominant team in NorCal, which makes this year so exciting. There is a handful of teams that could all beat each other on a given day. In no order, El Cerrito, Sheldon, DLS, Moreau Catholic, Mitty make up a very early Top 5

27-0 I agree with you about Young and Terrell. Young is a 6"7 center and skill set never quite caught up to his athleticism. I still think because he plays so hard and seems so pleasurable to coach he will succeed wherever he goes. Might be just an energy and hustle guy but that is ok. Terrell looks the part of big time D1 2 guard. He needs to be more consistent.

As for next year its not like BOD last year. Streak is right. But if Much and Kone stay healthy Mitty is going to be very tough.

27-0 I agree with you about Young and Terrell. Young is a 6"7 center and skill set never quite caught up to his athleticism. I still think because he plays so hard and seems so pleasurable to coach he will succeed wherever he goes. Might be just an energy and hustle guy but that is ok. Terrell looks the part of big time D1 2 guard. He needs to be more consistent.

As for next year its not like BOD last year. Streak is right. But if Much and Kone stay healthy Mitty is going to be very tough.

Mitty might not even be the best team in the WCAL next year. St Francis returns everyone!

Mitty might not even be the best team in the WCAL next year. St Francis returns everyone!

Francis will be good, Witts is very underated pg in my opinion. Solid big man in Hewitt. I think that is Mitty's league for now, but those will be great games to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT