Mar 16, 2015
Open: SMS
D1 MCCLATCHY
D2 VADER OR SAC HIGH
D3 Campo or SMB
D4 West Campus or St. Joseph
D5 ESCP FOR 3 OR 4 TIME IN THE SAME DIVISION

Scoutus32

It won't be at MM then I would have to agree. But it's on neutral Court that's advantage to all teams!!!

I'll get on my soapbox for a second. Filling Divisions I-5 with 16 teams is a joke. There are teams that won one playoff game (likely a home one at that) and now get to play in the NorCal playoffs. It is similar to what has happened with college football and the bowl games. Totally devalued making it this far.

The seedings seem to have some major errors. My biggest issue is that the same logic doesn't hold from bracket to bracket. Usually I'm not for one to get that worked up on the seeds because you play who you have to play and a one or two seed difference isn't a huge deal, but it is bigger now with Division 2-5 regional games being played away from Santa Clara.

Now that is done, here are my predictions. I think this is the best Open field we've had in the five years of existence.

Open: Mitty over Pinewood.

Division I: McClatchy over Folsom

Division II: Miramonte over Vanden

Division III: Campolindo over St. Mary's

Division IV: West Campus over St. Joseph

Division V: Eastside Prep over Woodside Priory

I'll get on my soapbox for a second. Filling Divisions I-5 with 16 teams is a joke. There are teams that won one playoff game (likely a home one at that) and now get to play in the NorCal playoffs. It is similar to what has happened with college football and the bowl games. Totally devalued making it this far.

The seedings seem to have some major errors. My biggest issue is that the same logic doesn't hold from bracket to bracket. Usually I'm not for one to get that worked up on the seeds because you play who you have to play and a one or two seed difference isn't a huge deal, but it is bigger now with Division 2-5 regional games being played away from Santa Clara.

Now that is done, here are my predictions. I think this is the best Open field we've had in the five years of existence.

Open: Mitty over Pinewood.

Division I: McClatchy over Folsom

Division II: Miramonte over Vanden

Division III: Campolindo over St. Mary's

Division IV: West Campus over St. Joseph

Division V: Eastside Prep over Woodside Priory

I think your picks are solid but I am going with Pleasant Valley in D3 just to be totally different than the crowd...and SMS for the Open

Pleasant Valley is a good call -- but I'd love to see both Miramonte and Campo playing for a state title. Two public schools from the same league ...

I actually like the full brackets because I think there's an advantage to the teams that play in the first round if the better seed has a bye. There are always a few jitters in the first NorCal game, and better to get them out of the way against a low seed instead of in the quarterfinals.

I tend to agree that SMS will be a major threat. Fully healthy, with five Power 5 players, the only issue is depth, really. (And if they win state, they really bollix up our MaxPreps' rankings.)

Pleasant Valley is a good call -- but I'd love to see both Miramonte and Campo playing for a state title. Two public schools from the same league ...

I actually like the full brackets because I think there's an advantage to the teams that play in the first round if the better seed has a bye. There are always a few jitters in the first NorCal game, and better to get them out of the way against a low seed instead of in the quarterfinals.

I tend to agree that SMS will be a major threat. Fully healthy, with five Power 5 players, the only issue is depth, really. (And if they win state, they really bollix up our MaxPreps' rankings.)

I am hoping for Campo just throwing out a legitimate contender imo that hasn't been mentioned.

Well put Clay :)

The 16 team brackets were filled to put more money in CIF's pocket. Why have a bye in the first round, have games because all the money at the door goes into CIF's account. It was smart from a money making stand point.

Reactions: kbrizzzle
The 16 team brackets were filled to put more money in CIF's pocket. Why have a bye in the first round, have games because all the money at the door goes into CIF's account. It was smart from a money making stand point.

I totally get that and I'm ok with that, but I feel the CIF uses other reasons for changes like this besides the financial one and it comes off as disingenuous.

I would love nothing more then to see Miramonte get taken down and as early as possible. Not for the girls sake but for there coach (Sopak), who continually shows no class in a few games that I have watched. I happened to see both Las Lomas games and I really think he get's pleasure out of beating a team 70-15, this is disgusting. I am cheering for everyone who plays Miramonte!!

I would love nothing more then to see Miramonte get taken down and as early as possible. Not for the girls sake but for there coach (Sopak), who continually shows no class in a few games that I have watched. I happened to see both Las Lomas games and I really think he get's pleasure out of beating a team 70-15, this is disgusting. I am cheering for everyone who plays Miramonte!!

Interesting. I wasn't at the two Los Lomas games so I can't comment on the coach's behavior there. I will say several threads ago there was a discussion about whether or not certain games should even be played. At that time I suggested that when scheduling or going into a game and it's clearly known it will be a blow out that perhaps the freshman or junior varsity of the better school should play the game instead of the team that's 60 points or more better than the other team. There is really no winning in situations like that. From what I know of Kelly Sopak he is constantly working on things with his teams to better prepare them for the more challenging games coming down the road. So while some coaches would either just play their reserve players or try to take it easy, or just do the same ole things, he finds time to work to improve other details for different individuals as well as the team. It just becomes a practice scrimmage used to improve upon weak areas for him. Not time to just totally take the night off. And each and every player no matter the level can get better and they all have a lot to work on to improve.

The last thing I might add is even Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, two of the best players ever, have loss games by 60 points. Especially as middle school and high school players. Whenever I am in attendance at such a game (or when it happens to one of my children) I remind them of the fact that MJ has been there too. I remind them that they won't always be on the better team. Then I encourage them on the positives things they did in the game. And I tell them to just keep working to improve.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wasn't at the two Los Lomas games so I can't comment on the coach's behavior there. I will say several threads ago there was a discussion about whether or not certain games should even be played. At that time I suggested that when scheduling or going into a game and it's clearly known it will be a blow out that perhaps the freshman or junior varsity of the better school should play the game instead of the team that's 60 points or more better than the other team. There is really no winning in situations like that. From what I know of Kelly Sopak he is constantly working on things with his teams to better prepare them for the more challenging games coming down the road. So while some coaches would either just play their reserve players or try to take it easy, or just do the same ole things, he finds time to work to improve other details for different individuals as well as the team. It just becomes a practice scrimmage used to improve upon weak areas for him. Not time to just totally take the night off. And each and every player no matter the level can get better and they all have a lot to work on to improve.

The last thing I might add is even Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, two of the best players ever, have loss games by 60 points. Especially as middle school and high school players. Whenever I am in attendance at such a game (or when it happens to one of my children) I remind them of the fact that MJ has been there too. I remind them that they won't always be on the better team. Then I encourage them on the positives things they did in the game. And I tell them to just keep working to improve.

If you can clearly beat someone by 60 or 70 points, wouldn't you think working on things at practice, against your 2nd team (which is probably better then LL 1st team) serves a much more useful purpose? Kids get nothing out of it. Does MM really get better? Do you really need to press the entire 1st half? If you want to work on something, how about different defenses, work on your zone, half court sets, work the clock, milk a lead but destroying someone does zero for everyone involved. I stayed and watch until the end, my heart goes out to the girls on Las Lomas, they were humiliated and I felt there pain. I think as coaches and adult, we are trying to lead by example and teach them life long skills and leasons and I think Sopak failed on this night. This could have been a teaching moment and it was missed and that's unfortunate.

Reactions: Paytc
If you can clearly beat someone by 60 or 70 points, wouldn't you think working on things at practice, against your 2nd team (which is probably better then LL 1st team) serves a much more useful purpose? Kids get nothing out of it. Does MM really get better? Do you really need to press the entire 1st half? If you want to work on something, how about different defenses, work on your zone, half court sets, work the clock, milk a lead but destroying someone does zero for everyone involved. I stayed and watch until the end, my heart goes out to the girls on Las Lomas, they were humiliated and I felt there pain. I think as coaches and adult, we are trying to lead by example and teach them life long skills and leasons and I think Sopak failed on this night. This could have been a teaching moment and it was missed and that's unfortunate.

Like I said, I wasn't there. And some games are no win situations and shouldn't even be played IMO. But I do 100 % agree on the need for adults to use the game(s) to build confidence and teach life lessons.

Refs tick me off too when they let games get out of control. Competition is often out of control, and the purpose of the game misused.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealisticParent
This could have been a teaching moment and it was missed and that's unfortunate.

I follow MM (my daughter played there 12 years ago), and a number of their DFAL (now DVL) opponents have been overmatched. I suggested on this board that a coach could consider starting his/her last 5 players on the depth chart, with subs by the next few players up for the entire 1st half. it might give the opponent a competitive half, and would certainly give kids at the end of the bench both playing time and a role that might help them grow. no support for that idea, probably half-baked. the maldistribution of skills in girls' high school basketball has been around from the start, and won't go away any time soon. paytc said it: it's a no-win situation.
or, to look at it differently, if the LL girls kept trying their hardest, and held their heads up, they won. play anyway. win-win.

Last edited:

Campolindo beat Las Lomas 63-13; are you cheering for them to lose too? Acalanes won 70-28; Berkeley 74-16. The issue really was that Las Lomas wasn't very good ...

We pressed a quarter or less in each game -- we need to do what we do a little bit -- the second unit played most of the first quarter in one of the two games. The TV game on Comcast is still on line and you can hear the commentators (not from Miramonte, from Hayward) saying that we treated Las Lomas with respect.

After the second game, I saw one of their players heading back to her teammates and told her that our team was impressed with how hard they played, and that she could pass that on to the group if she wanted to -- and so should our girls not play hard?

We rotated our players in constantly (watch the tape); nine of our ten scored and every player but the girl who didn't score (our sixth player, by the way) took at least seven shots. Elle Louie took 18 shots on Senior Night (she's a senior) and a senior reserve hit three threes.

We've had this discussion many times on this board, but if you play all your players, press minimally and still win by a lot, there's not much else you can do.

I look forward to you saying unpleasant things about Art Thoms and Ralph Dangerfield in your next post, and maybe Ashley Hernandez too.

Realistic Parent
Your principal voted for you to be in Miramonte's league. He had a chance to play in the lower half of the Dal. He and the other Lamiranda principals got together and voted so they could stay in the same league together. For that reason you get what you get. If your principal truely cared about what was best for those girls he would have voted for Las Lomas to be with Alhambra, Berean Christian , Mt Diablo and YV. Then you wouldn't be able to complain about miramonte or anyone else running up the score.

Campolindo beat Las Lomas 63-13; are you cheering for them to lose too? Acalanes won 70-28; Berkeley 74-16. The issue really was that Las Lomas wasn't very good ...

We pressed a quarter or less in each game -- we need to do what we do a little bit -- the second unit played most of the first quarter in one of the two games. The TV game on Comcast is still on line and you can hear the commentators (not from Miramonte, from Hayward) saying that we treated Las Lomas with respect.

After the second game, I saw one of their players heading back to her teammates and told her that our team was impressed with how hard they played, and that she could pass that on to the group if she wanted to -- and so should our girls not play hard?

We rotated our players in constantly (watch the tape); nine of our ten scored and every player but the girl who didn't score (our sixth player, by the way) took at least seven shots. Elle Louie took 18 shots on Senior Night (she's a senior) and a senior reserve hit three threes.

We've had this discussion many times on this board, but if you play all your players, press minimally and still win by a lot, there's not much else you can do.

I look forward to you saying unpleasant things about Art Thoms and Ralph Dangerfield in your next post, and maybe Ashley Hernandez too.

63-13 & 70-15 aren't that bad...in fact that's tame....its GIRLS HS basketball and sometimes EXTREME mismatches in talent happen.
Its one thing to be up by 50,60 or more and still pressing in the 4th with the starters in. But if the the subs are in and they aren't pressing and they are just playing why shouldn't the subs get a chance to put some #s up? After all the subs work hard also.
I know CN had some NBL games this year where the bottom 5 were in MID 3RD PERIOD....they were told they had to walk the ball up the court and couldn't even attempt a shot until under 10secs on the shot clock. And defensively to get back and not pick up until the 3 pt line. AND STILL DROPPED 90+ PTS.
If you just saw the final score you'd think CN ran it up....if you were at the game, youd know otherwise...just one team WAY better than the other.
Other than not playing the game...I don't know what else could be done in a lot of these games.

Destiny Littleton at BISHOPS HS is putting up HISTORIC scoring #s this year and alot of her games are complete blowouts vs EXTREMELY overmatched teams and shes getn run into the 4th qtr of those games. To me that's MUCH worse.....leaving in a girl to rack up HUGE #s in blowouts against overmatched teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
the other thing I want to say is if the winning team only scores 70? How can they be penalized/criticized if they decide to play defense and only allow the other team 15?

afterall if the score was 70-40 there would be no complaints....

One last comment......

I find that in blowout wins who scores all the points is usually pretty telling.

For example...if the final was something like 95-15 and the starting 5 scored 87 of the 95 points, that tells me the starters played too much. On the other hand if players 10,11 & 12 on the depth chart led the team in scoring then Id say the coach was pretty nice despite the final score.

Reactions: UncleYacht
The same concept applies to Northgate and College Park...all significantly less skilled than the other three in the league so what do the girls do...not play at all for 6 games? Forfeit all 6? They have a season, have practiced and deserve to go out and try and play hard at least for half of the game. Its not Miramonte's fault the other teams are significantly inferior...only so much you can do short of forfeiting half your season. Im sure the parents from both schools dread watching that game as it is a waste of time for both teams.

And I know that Acalanes in their 70-28 win over LL Clay is referring to played their starters less than half the game and i don't recall them pressing or if they did it was certainly minimal. So Realistic Parent, I wouldn't be too harsh on Sopak. I don't think he gets his jollys beating up on significantly inferior teams...at least not in this case.

Realistic Parent
Your principal voted for you to be in Miramonte's league. He had a chance to play in the lower half of the Dal. He and the other Lamiranda principals got together and voted so they could stay in the same league together. For that reason you get what you get. If your principal truely cared about what was best for those girls he would have voted for Las Lomas to be with Alhambra, Berean Christian , Mt Diablo and YV. Then you wouldn't be able to complain about miramonte or anyone else running up the score.

Aren't the boys and girls teams in the DAL split the same way? The LL boys were the top team in the DAL and it would have been a farce for them to be playing Alhambra, BC, MD & YV. Perhaps they should consider having a different boys league than they have girls? I know the DAL plays the boys and girls back to back, so it would affect that aspect, but it might result in more competitive games?

Reactions: Willtalk
Aren't the boys and girls teams in the DAL split the same way? The LL boys were the top team in the DAL and it would have been a farce for them to be playing Alhambra, BC, MD & YV. Perhaps they should consider having a different boys league than they have girls? I know the DAL plays the boys and girls back to back, so it would affect that aspect, but it might result in more competitive games?
Only in basketball. In every other sport the boys and girls can be split in high or low division. Soccer, Lacrosse. The four Lamiranda schools principals didn't care if Las Lomas, Northgate or College Park girls got embarrassed. CV, Alhambra and Concord girls all beat those teams easily. The only reason I could figure is admin coverage only needing to be at one site with varsity girls and boys playing together. Who cares if kids get embarrassed as long as $120,000 plus a year admin only have to go to one site to do their job.

This is so far from reality that you should go by unrealisticparent. If Kelly wanted to he could beat LL 125 to 5. No disrespect intended....LL's varsity team has the talent and skill of a 7th grade junior high team. That's just the fact. It's not fair for either team to play this game. Kelly has no ill will and gets zero kick out of beating this team up. Now if it were Campolindo, Brookside or even BOD then we can have this discussion about Kelly :)

Apparently, the DAL is going to split the leagues differently for boys and girls next year, but I'm not sure how much it will help on the girls' side.

Campolindo will be very strong, with everyone back, and Miramonte will be good as well, though losing Elle Louie -- the key to our defense and top scorer -- to graduation. But Acalanes loses most of its firepower and people involved with that program expect the Dons to be significantly worse next year. Concord also loses a lot of talent. If that's the case (and I hope it's not), there will be Campo and Miramonte, and then a big dropoff, so no matter how the girls' teams are aligned, there will be too many mismatches.

There has been some discussion of putting seven teams in one division and five in the other, but Campo will be very strong, and very deep, next year. The "deep" part matters because if the second unit is not that much worse than the first unit, playing everyone doesn't do much to keep the margin of victory down.

When I was at Campo, one year we had 12 good players, and it was difficult against overmatched opponents because our bottom five a) were good, and b) wanted to show what they could do.

Reactions: Scoutus32
Apparently, the DAL is going to split the leagues differently for boys and girls next year, but I'm not sure how much it will help on the girls' side.

Campolindo will be very strong, with everyone back, and Miramonte will be good as well, though losing Elle Louie -- the key to our defense and top scorer -- to graduation. But Acalanes loses most of its firepower and people involved with that program expect the Dons to be significantly worse next year. Concord also loses a lot of talent. If that's the case (and I hope it's not), there will be Campo and Miramonte, and then a big dropoff, so no matter how the girls' teams are aligned, there will be too many mismatches.

There has been some discussion of putting seven teams in one division and five in the other, but Campo will be very strong, and very deep, next year. The "deep" part matters because if the second unit is not that much worse than the first unit, playing everyone doesn't do much to keep the margin of victory down.

When I was at Campo, one year we had 12 good players, and it was difficult against overmatched opponents because our bottom five a) were good, and b) wanted to show what they could do.

It was a huge blow to the competitiveness of the league losing Dougherty Valley and Dublin. Those programs made at least 2nd place interesting.

Reactions: NorCalScout

When I was at Campo, one year we had 12 good players, and it was difficult against overmatched opponents because our bottom five a) were good, and b) wanted to show what they could do.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I follow how having 12 good players is bad..... or the bottom 5 wanting to get on the floor would be a problem. I think if you have 22 players and even one of them thinks they should be confined to the bench that and every other player shouldn't be on the team. Team should come before any individual player(s). There are times to play them all and other times to limit the rotation.

But I think I know where you are going with the statement. For some reason many think every player should play every game. But in my opinion, if you want to build a successful program and win championships you let the game dictate who plays not the coach, players, AD, parents, or anyone else. Players, whoever they are, need to stay in the game long enough to get into rhythm. And you don't pull them out once they get in sinc (hot) and into the flow of the game. So depending on the score, the opponent, and the importance of the game, that dictates playing time in my book. Of course foul trouble and rest is taken into consideration. Unless the wrong starter(s) are on the floor to begin with, which does happen. And sometimes different games require different matchup. So for that particular game the starting line up might change if that would be best matchup-wise for the team.

I had commented on this very same thing with regard to team's playing Mitty and trying to match your 10 or 12 up against their 10 or 12. If the other team has more experienced and/or quality players you limit your rotation to best match up with them. Most 15-18 year old kids I know can play a large number, if not all the minutes, of a 32 minute game. So the coach just needs to as always adjust his/her coaching to fit each and every individual game or circumstance. If the starters are not getting into rhythm, or just having a off game, then you reach into the rotation for that player or those players who can come in to give you that spark. And reserves should play, especially early in the season, to better prepare them should they be needed later in the season. Because starters get into foul trouble, they get injured, and they have off nights. And you want to build the confidence of as much of the team as possible, whenever possible. Of course as always "this is just my opinion".

Last edited:
I follow MM (my daughter played there 12 years ago), and a number of their DFAL (now DVL) opponents have been overmatched. I suggested on this board that a coach could consider starting his/her last 5 players on the depth chart, with subs by the next few players up for the entire 1st half. it might give the opponent a competitive half, and would certainly give kids at the end of the bench both playing time and a role that might help them grow. no support for that idea, probably half-baked. the maldistribution of skills in girls' high school basketball has been around from the start, and won't go away any time soon. paytc said it: it's a no-win situation.
or, to look at it differently, if the LL girls kept trying their hardest, and held their heads up, they won. play anyway. win-win.

mkbgdns,

You do have to look for the silver lining. That is one of the pillars holding up the "Win anyway" philosophy. Because there is always something you can gain in a loss, even a blowout. But it's hard to see it when confidence is beaten out of a child. That is when better adult leadership comes into play. The parents and coach of the team getting beat has to set up a few attainable goals for the team and individual players to reach for. And they must be mentored during the pre and post game on the pros and cons of competition so they remember what they signed up for. Like life, the game won't always be easy. But you can still give it your best and congratulate the winner.

Last edited:

One thought as I watched your team for a bit last Saturday after the Salesian boys game. You have to admit, you sandbagged them this year. They are good and as good as BOD and Salesian as I watched them earlier in the day.

I appreciate the compliment, and we would feel we would have a pretty good chance against either Salesian or BOD -- but I think either one would be the favorite going in. Remember, when you saw us we were playing a team that we match up with very well (not tall, not overwhelmingly athletic, backcourt not deep), but yes, we're pretty good.

And if you look at our path in D2, I don't think anyone would say we're going to coast, or even have an easy time. Assuming we get by Whitney tonight, we have either Elk Grove or Presentation on Saturday, neither an easy out. If we get by that, it's very likely we'll get either Modesto Christian or Valley Christian, and then the finals project to be Sacramento or Vanden (and Vanden would be on the road). As with pretty much every division, I think the top four seeds can look at any one individual game and say to themselves "I like our chances but we'll have to play well" -- but the issue is you have to play well three games in a row.

As for the bottom five comment, I didn't really express myself well. What I meant was that in routs, with 12 good players, it was difficult to throttle back because the bottom five weren't that much worse than the top five. On some good teams, the dropoff after number eight in the rotation is pretty steep, and so when the end of the bench is in, an inferior team can do OK.

Reactions: Paytc and Scoutus32

Well stated, great post and I agree with you.

Clay, though I don't always agree with your posts, you try and bring up some good points, even if they are DFAL/one sided. I don't have a problem with the other teams you mentioned cause they don't do it year in and year out and those other coaches, coach to how the game are played and the scoreboard reads but not Sopak.

Reactions: Scoutus32
Realistic Parent

EastCouty, my principal? I don't currently don't have a daughter playing high school basketball and when she did, it was not in this league. I am a basketball fan now, previous boys varsity coach and retired referee, so I am coming at this with not a stone to grind but just giving my honest opinion on this situation. Good point with the principals, it's ridiculous that they couldn't come up with a better way to workout the schedule. Remember this, every dog has his or her day and I will patiently wait.

I'm not sure I get what you mean, but I think you're saying that the other coaches with large margins of victory are not guilty of running up the score, but because of Kelly Sopak's record of success, he is guilty of running up the score?

OK, I guess, but if you get a chance, watch the Comcast broadcast and notice that every Miramonte player is in the game in the first quarter, and if I recall correctly, every player is on the floor in the first five minutes.

I know some on this board feel the better team should not try to score and let the other team score, or at the least run the shot clock down every possession, but others (like me) feel differently -- I think it's insulting and humiliating to the losing team to play that way, but reasonable people can disagree.

My point here is that I'm not sure it makes sense to give other teams with large margins of victory a pass but not Miramonte. Maybe in the past, maybe in other games, but not this season. (In fact, I'm worried that we haven't played our starters enough and it may catch up to us in NorCals. But of course, I worry about everything and am always convinced we'll lose ...)

Reactions: Paytc and Willtalk
My picks to make it to Golden 1 Center:

Open: St. Mary's
D1: McClatchy
D2: Vanden
D3: Campolindo
D4: West Campus
D5: Eastside College Prep

I appreciate the compliment, and we would feel we would have a pretty good chance against either Salesian or BOD -- but I think either one would be the favorite going in. Remember, when you saw us we were playing a team that we match up with very well (not tall, not overwhelmingly athletic, backcourt not deep), but yes, we're pretty good.

And if you look at our path in D2, I don't think anyone would say we're going to coast, or even have an easy time. Assuming we get by Whitney tonight, we have either Elk Grove or Presentation on Saturday, neither an easy out. If we get by that, it's very likely we'll get either Modesto Christian or Valley Christian, and then the finals project to be Sacramento or Vanden (and Vanden would be on the road). As with pretty much every division, I think the top four seeds can look at any one individual game and say to themselves "I like our chances but we'll have to play well" -- but the issue is you have to play well three games in a row.

As for the bottom five comment, I didn't really express myself well. What I meant was that in routs, with 12 good players, it was difficult to throttle back because the bottom five weren't that much worse than the top five. On some good teams, the dropoff after number eight in the rotation is pretty steep, and so when the end of the bench is in, an inferior team can do OK.

For some modest perspective, Presentation was 0-10 in league play this year. Yes, it was the WCAL. But only Mitty was a true world-beater.

Reactions: OnBall8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT