ADVERTISEMENT

Prolific Prep beats it's 5th Top 25 Opponent of the year

I love the idea that Findlay and Prolific are creating something. They take the cream of the crop and then boast of their 100% success rate in Division 1 scholarships.

As I said (and I'm done with the topic) these teams are largely vanity projects for the founders with many having the goal of promoting themselves.

Private schools (secondary and elite colleges) have a similar model: choose the best and market based on the successes of the students who would have experienced degrees of success anywhere. However, private schools have a right to exist and develop curriculum tailored to a more limited clientele. The tailoring of the curriculum to a more targeted group can make the educational experience efficient and effective. Of course, the student attending the private institution will miss out on what could have been gained in the public institution - there's a lot to be gained.
Ultimately, families make decisions that make sense for their child. Sometimes private/elite-prep makes more sense. Prolific prep makes sense for a few. It does not really make sense to be angry about their existence. It is sad that these kids are not mainstreamed and participating on their local high school teams. However, if the local high school team does not give them and efficient and effective preparation for the next level, it makes sense to look elsewhere.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am consumed by local high school sports. I love watching the one dunk a kid may experience in their career - the dunk of their life that they will remember and speak of forever. I am not as interested in watching an elite team destroy lesser teams...

Last edited:
Memphis east was top 25 in the country at the time, which we squeaked out a win (they will be major top 10 program in years to come). Yeah we had a bad loss to Arlington high school in Tennessee. We suited 9 games to the game and one of them wasn't named Josh Jackson. No excuse, the team still should have found a way to win, but it didn't happen. You learn from it and come back stronger.

Saying we struggle against top high schools is ludicrous.....we are 6-0 vs Top 25 teams in country. Sometimes people just throw faceless quotes out there with ZERO evidence.

ProlificPrep -- I'd like to see a game. Will the team be playing again in NorCal this year? I don't see any local games on MaxPreps.

If I was a PP player or coach I would take pride in being 6 -0 against top 25 in the country competition. Pride in winning at any level is part of the reward. If they were 6 – 0 against lousy competition, and they were touting their great record, I’d think they were in denial.

I look at Berkeley’s record here locally at 9 -1. That is a great record and I’m sure that program is proud right now. But for them I would be more proud of the fact that they are a top 100 team in the state, and they’ve proven they can play in that top class because against other top 100 programs they are 1 -1. If they can beat Freedom we’ll have evidence that they really are good. But to me the jury is out on Berkeley because except for those two games they’ve played some (not all) fairly soft teams. Same comment about Half Moon Bay. Some good wins against top 100 teams. Probably a contender. Fun to see how they continue to do.

Teams like Monte Vista, Dougherty and even Dublin fall into the more questionable category to me. Very nice records but relatively weak schedules. Most of those wins are against 200 and worse rankings. I think Monte Vista has played one top 100 team. I don't think Dublin has played any. They all have some compelling players, but the jury is out on who really will be able to rise to the top against good teams.

So I evaluate PP against the best and I say, “How good are they against the best?” I look at the “more normal” schools like Berkeley and Half Moon Bay and I say “this is interesting so far, I wonder who really is good”? The optimist in me hopes that a team like HMB can rise to the top and because of its organic chemistry beat or make it tough on an assembled team like PP. Not sure if we'd ever see that match up.

Dls and all the privates are not much different? They just do not get national kids they get Bay Area kids. I would love to see a DLS and Prolific prep game played. DLS went 3-1 against some of the best teams in the country in Palm Springs. The only reason they lost was because Gorman coaches face guarded and double teamed Ratinho in 2nd half. Nobody on DLS stepped up in scoring. The more I watch the Ratinho game? I still say he is the 2nd best kid in NorCal, behind Josh Jackson. How Fryer, Kone and Young are above him is beyond me. Anyone that knows basketball, would say the same. They may be bigger but Ratinho is overall a way better player. Bigs in high school really have a hard time in college. Different game, if you can't do multiple things they do not transition.

DLS is going to boat race teams in league. MV and SRV get ready for the beat down. I'm a huge fan of Ratinho. Guys like that get bigger and stronger in college as well. He isn't fully peaked like many of these other highly regarded players. Heck Oscar Frayer went from the CAL, Gtown, Memphis likes to schools like st Mary's, Nevada, Oregon state, Grand Canyon. Huh? 6"6 as 15 and 6"6 as senior. Matured early. Same with young from sac high. 6"6 as 14 year old and same size today. No knock on them but it happens. I look for guys like Kone and young to be solid role players at the next level and there isn't anything wrong with that. The big from Modesto Christian is intriguing to me. (Idenho). He could be a surprise.

But DLS would need a guy like Asiasi back to battle a PP. Not enough size as is. At least from what I see.

Schedule it up. Have them call the CIF anytime to get approval. CIF did it before exempting Oak hill. We tried already and wasn't approved, but DLS has more tradition in CIF. We would show up no doubt - anytime!

As for another player that I would pay to see is Abu Kigab 2017. By far the second best player in Norcal. Kansas offer and plays harder then anyone I have ever seen play. Averages 3-4 charges taken per game. NBA prospect.

Tonight, PP had a 76-70 victory against potential #1 pick Thon Maker and #1 rated team of Canada. With a few minutes left, Nick Lombardi made the huge 3-pointer to take the lead, which PP never looked back. The game was played on Athletes Institute home arena in canada. Another Gutsy win on the road with only 8 players in uniform.

Last edited:
This just out. Here is the highlights from this past week Grind Session in Detroit.

The Grind Session will be coming to Napa January 29-31st.

And don't say its only dunks! Good offense at this level beats good defense anytime. Almost impossible to slow down some of these athletes.

If you guys were approved by cif would you compete as justin sienna or pp? This would cause a big shift in mcal ncs and state playoffs

No we wouldn't want to become part of a local league. We play in Grind Session league. I was saying DLS can ask to play us if they wish. If they get approval, we will play. Nothing we can do.

Ok gotcha that makes more sense. No reason to play in a local league with the national schedule you guys already play

Had to comment on this. Guaranteed CIF is not approving anything involving Prolific Basketball Team.

ALL of the Prolific Basketball Team are ineligible under CIF rules.

Last edited:
Turtle you are a buzzkill. Guys put together something informal. Our secret! No tapes no stats. Just 10 guys on the playground.

For your information I am not just throwing useless quotes. You have not beaten 6 top 25 HiGH SCHOOLS. You have beaten other prep/academy schools. There is a difference. You are 3 points away from being 0-2 against quality high school teams. Even at that Arlington is barely top 10 in Tennessee.

I have no problem with PP, Just helping the thread along.

As for DLS.. , they did go 3-1 at Max preps but did have some easy games. Preston wood, alemany and Bentonville are decent but not great. Gorman is a little down from the teams I've seen but they do have a 7-0 center and an OBannon . Plus they have a good coach. I was reading somewhere on these threads that Rice wasn't a good coach but I guess the excuse of We lost because Ratino was double teamed in the second half would be ah I guess COACHING . Hmmm n

Last edited:
Huh? Two losses vs prep teams so far to state the true facts. Both are top 50 in country easily. One loss vs regular high school team was where josh Jackson didn't play (I think he may be future NBA all star), as well as starter Brown Eyisia (fracture foot). May have been slightly different results. Haha. No excuses though - We had one of those bad games on their home court. But 88% of all of our games are basically two time zones away and usually on their home court/city. Our guys are allowed a slip up every so often. But that is how we want it - preparing our guys for big time college basketball challenges.

Last edited:
Look....Ok you caught me with too much time on my hands. Point is you have a freak in nature of an athlete, that once in a decade to the area athlete. We Get that. Put Josh Jackson on any decent team with half a coach and they are still top ten in Cali. Imagine Josh to go with De LA or Moreau or Modesto Christian ,etc and they are instant Norcal Open Favorites. PP without him will struggle mightily. IE ARLINGTON which is a Co/ed public school. You lost. Many schools you play only have a Basketball team and thats it. Some are based out of a car dealership while your address is a church.

Your team is good. Problem is you constantly come on here and try to glorify wins against So called top 25 teams. Guess what early rankings mean nothing. Nevada Union was 11-16 last year . They win a couple of games this year and low and behold are ranked 21 in the nation. They will be lucky to battle for 6th place in their league. Why not schedule them. I guarantee you win by 50 easily and then you can come say you beat "The Number 21 team in the country"

For the Record your schedule looks like this with current rank and record

Victory Rock Prep L 60 12-1
Victory Prep W 2096 14-13
Sunrise Christian W 236 10-4
Word of God W 3376 4-10
Pro Vision W480 6-6
Huntington W 46 however will change tomorrow as 5 straight losses 13-7
API W 1150 5-5
Memphis east W 33 69-67 true high school 5-1
Arlington L 163 81-87 another high school 11-2
Huntington W 46 see above 13-7
Word of God W 3376 4-10

97-66 overall opponent record impressive

After tomorrow 1 win and 1 loss in top 150. Just the facts. As of now you have 1 quality win. A 2 point win against a local public High school team. Thats why you are only ranked 9 in California.

Last edited:
Once again, rankings from MaxPreps were from the real rankings and not the FREEMAN Rankings that you were referring to for Nevada Union (which was a joke and have been disbanded). Also, at the time we beat those teams, they were ranked by MaxPreps and USA today. If Huntington Prep loses 5 straight games after they lose to us, then so be it. At the time we beat them, they were 8-0 and #4 in Country. What happens after.....we cannot control. Most these top teams play a National Schedule (Grind Session, etc), therefore, they are going to have more losses throughout a season.

You must think people are dumb or naive. I clearly know the difference in the rankings. . All the rankings i quoted are from Max preps. And just a little words of wisdom..... don't downplay those freeman rankings cause they determine if you get into the Max preps TOC which i know you want

PP. I'm with HEAT. You have to tell us the rankings today, since that gives us the best snapshot of the quality of your schedule. I understand that won loss varies with opponent quality but the current rankings best reflects the actual quality of the opponent you beat (or lost to). Quoting last weeks news as today is a bit lazy intellectually.

For those that want to see the potential #1 and #2 draft picks in the 2017 NBA Draft, you should head out to napa for the Crush in the Valley event January 29-31st. And you do not have to be a fan of PP to attend and watch these great players Live before they head to the NBA. Also, the #1 potential pick in the 2018 NBA draft, we will be playing as well (Deandre Ayton). That is a lock after watching him this past weekend. Maybe the best prospect in USA currently.

http://northpolehoops.com/2016/01/03/thon-maker-vs-josh-jackson-nba-prospects-battle-in-canada/

Hillcrest isn't affiliated with an Accredited Institution. I do not know much about them but that they tried to partner with an online version or some non accredited start up. Therefore, they cannot be compared to PP cause it is a completely different model to start with.

Just to put more facts out there, the NCAA granted Prolific Prep Academy "Scholastic Status" this year. That is why we are able to be ranked by publications. That is the first steps in our long-term goals and was accomplished by year 2. Therefore, hard to compare us to other Prep teams that do not have the same model.

PP, what is "Scholastic Status"? Does that mean guys in HS can play for you and also be in school? This a "no question is too dumb" question because I'm not too familiar with the academic end of how you are accommodating the kids. I know you had a player last year or the year before who skipped his Campo senior athletic year to make the commute up to play for you, but I understand he stayed in school at Campo and graduated from that school. thanks in advance

It means the NCAA recognizes us a true program that is legit. It just brings legitimacy to our Program. It allows every college coach to come onto campus to any one of our practices legally. Before, it was more grey area I guess, but now official. Any college staff can attend anyone of our games, regardless if we are recognized by our own state association or not. It also tells everyone (media, rankings, potential recruits), we are recognized as a legitimate program that focuses on academics and athletics.

A simple google search fields this as a pretty good explanation

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4579410-ncaa-expands-definition-of-scholastic-teams

Prolific prep is affiliated with justin siena, and im assuming all the kids are full time students of that school, which is why pp was granted scholastic status this year. If the kid from campo did indeed stay enrolled at campo, it makes sense that the ncaa would not grant pp scholastic status last year. As not every player was enrolled at justin siena.

I didn't compare PP to Hillcrest. I asked a question.

I have spoken with Matt O'Reilly a few times, including after his Campolindo team defeated a team for which I was an assistant coach.

Matt was passing by our locker room and I congratulated him on a good game. He then proceeded to tell us and this is a direct quote, "my coach hates me".

Never heard an opposing player at any level; youth, high school or college say anything like that to an opposing coach.

Wasn't surprised that he opted not to play his senior year at Campo.

I know nothing about the O'Reilly situation, but if it was the case that he was in a difficult relationship with his public school coach, and the problem was not something he could solve or control, he was faced with a tough choice. Having the option of going to PP, where he could play against good competition was, for him, a great option. Instead of being on the losing end of a power situation he could leave and still get what he needed at an important time in his quest for a college opportunity. Without options like PP he either would have stayed in that tough situation or sat out. I am aware of a lot of kids (not of his caliber) who decide to quit their sport instead of staying in a difficult relationship with a coach. There was another thread on this board called "Transfers" that evolved into a debate about when a kid/family should stick it out or move on from a coach or situation. The focal point of how that situation evolved wasn't about coaching hatred but other issues, but still is worth a read.

I agree that for Matt, PP was a great option. However, commuting everyday must not have been much fun.

It means the NCAA recognizes us a true program that is legit. It just brings legitimacy to our Program. It allows every college coach to come onto campus to any one of our practices legally. Before, it was more grey area I guess, but now official. Any college staff can attend anyone of our games, regardless if we are recognized by our own state association or not. It also tells everyone (media, rankings, potential recruits), we are recognized as a legitimate program that focuses on academics and athletics.

The last part of your statement I have an issue/question with...
"we are recognized as a legitimate program that focuses on academics and athletics."

so what checks and balances do you have to make sure the players are actually going to school? PP is a prep school where the players go to school at JS high school and actually only play ball at PP.......is there academic eligibility requirements?

FOR EXAMPLE and PURELY HYPOTHETICAL: If JOSH JACKSON carried a 1.0 GPA because he decided for whatever reason not to go to school and/or do no schoolwork, what stops him? A regular high schooler would be academically ineligible to play. Am I assuming correct that he would still be able to play ball for PP in that situation? So if JJ was still able to play and PP ALLOWS him to play how can you claim to be a legitimate HS program?

Which Nevada Union are you talking about, PP?
There is only one Nevada Union in the country and that is the one in Grass Valley and we play in the Sierra Foothill League. We used to be known as a football power in the San Joaquin Section but the team has fallen on hard times the last few years. HEAT was referring to the MaxPreps computer rankings which had us ranked 21st in the country based on the few games we had played. It was not a joke as Prolific Prep stated but rather a ranking based on what we had done compared to everyone else at that time but it was not a true reflection of our skill level because many schools had not played enough games to be ranked. As of 12/31/15 we were ranked 384 in the country and 56 in the state and 11 in our section. We start league play so if HEAT is correct we will continue to drop in the rankings as we lose all of our league games. However if we continue to win our rankings may not go down so much. We will have to wait and see.

Kpcarter, it was not HEAT that said it. It was Prolific Prep and he said it was disbanded. That's the part that concerned me. It implied that it was not a legitimate school.

No 1 sophomore in the country Marvin Bagley has left Hillcrest prep, (after being at Corona del sol as a frosh ) and has enrolled at SIERRA CANYON. 2 things from this. Lets see how good Hillcrest does without him , and how does he become eligible after transferring to his 3rd school. That doesn't fly in CIF SJS. There is even an article that says back in November how he was INQUIRING about going back to Corona Del SOL. Sounds maybe a little athletically motivated. THOUGHT OR OPINIONS

Sorry for the confusion. I was replying to both of their posts. HEAT was bashing on our ranking (as did I in another thread) and PP said it was a joke. It was a computer ranking and the computer can only rank based on the info it is given.

KP HEAT wasn't bashing your rankings. Quit being so sensitive. Everyone knows your barely gonna be top 20 in Sacramento much less the USA. The point was PP coming on here and saying how they beat 5 top 20 teams. If they played you they could have said WE BEAT THE 21 RANKED TEAM IN AMERICA . That was the point

I read same. Sounds athletically motivated to me. Curious how he happened to choose one of top teams in country. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT