ADVERTISEMENT

Rocklin vs Del oro UPSET brewing

DO played GREAT defense tonight! Rocklin’s previous season low was 59 in a win against Folsom. Freshman Brenden Hawkins lead DO with 21, Reid Brear had 18, and Caden Pinnick had 12. Rocklin was lead by Kainoa Marasco with 10 and Mark Lavrenov with 9.

Rocklin is doing anything this year in the postseason. A very nice team with an inflated record and ranking due to an awful schedule. Somewhat reminiscent of the undefeated ponderosa team a few years ago. With the added eligibility of the two big African players Capital Christian is the best team in league town and I would but Sheldon at number 2.

Rocklin looks like a very strong candidate to rep nor cal in a state championship for div 2 . Unfortunately open they will get crushed in regionals and div 1 they lose in semi finals.

Rocklin is doing anything this year in the postseason. A very nice team with an inflated record and ranking due to an awful schedule. Somewhat reminiscent of the undefeated ponderosa team a few years ago. With the added eligibility of the two big African players Capital Christian is the best team in league town and I would but Sheldon at number 2.
Yeah this one was on my watch list. DO played them too OT at Rocklin last time and lost a close one.
Rocklin's schedule made Pondo's look like a national one. Pondo had some good wins that year including a beat down of Folsom who went deep into Norcal. So I would say this is a far worse SOS. I'm not writing Rocklin off. In D2 they will not go easy and are still deep and talented. DO jumped out in this one and never looked back. But locally I never thought Rocklin was the best team. Monterey Trail also has something to say about that. Capital has the transfers back but plays in such a bad league its going to hurt them come playoffs. Fun time of the year. Imagine being 23-1 this morning and battling for a league champ? That is the reality Rocklin is in.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Did the 2 Africans play last night vs RIO because they squeaked by last night

Reactions: ESPN Ken
Yes, Rocklin has played no one. I would expect them to go home early in the playoffs.

Did the 2 Africans play last night vs RIO because they squeaked by last night
There are no standout elite teams in Sacramento this year heat. There are a bunch of good teams though who could probably knock each other off on any given night. It will be interesting because Vanden and Capital will both be in d2 this year.

There are no standout elite teams in Sacramento this year heat. There are a bunch of good teams though who could probably knock each other off on any given night. It will be interesting because Vanden and Capital will both be in d2 this year.
Jesuit will be D2 as well unless they beat out Sheldon for the Delta crown

Jesuit will be D2 as well unless they beat out Sheldon for the Delta crown
Yes D2 will be significantly more competitive than usual. I see D1 being MC, Weston Ranch, Sheldon and Lincoln of Stockton in the top 4 with possible MT making a run.

Yes D2 will be significantly more competitive than usual. I see D1 being MC, Weston Ranch, Sheldon and Lincoln of Stockton in the top 4 with possible MT making a run.
I honestly don't see MC as an Open Team in Norcal. "Maybe" if they run thru SJS D1. I doubt they will with that lineup. MT will be no worse than #2 seed in SJS. Only losses are to a top ranked AZ team and Branson

maybe? I thought winning SJS div 1 was automatic. But they have to do that first…

maybe? I thought winning SJS div 1 was automatic. But they have to do that first…
I can't keep up with all the rules now. They have a history of success at norcal which will help them. But.... Are they really that good this year ?

I think they will take at least one team from the SJS. I don't think one of the three major sections have ever had zero teams in Open.

Reactions: observer22
Seems to me, the winner of the highest division in a Section that has D1 teams/leagues (or a Section Open) HAS to get into Open NorCals. If that’s not the rule in place right now, it should be. That;s 3 automatic slots in NorCal Open (or 4 if it’s certain that Central goes to NorCal)…. then that leaves a few slots for at-large teams.

I honestly don't see MC as an Open Team in Norcal. "Maybe" if they run thru SJS D1. I doubt they will with that lineup. MT will be no worse than #2 seed in SJS. Only losses are to a top ranked AZ team and Branson
Well, they have a tough game against Inderkum in about a week. If MT loses that game, I could see them drop quite a bit. End of the regular season always bring some big games.

What if Rocklin wins out and wins D2. They would be 31-1 . Would they be considered for the open

And no good wins.
Campo isn't exactly chop liver and MT absolutely blasted them. I bet Campo hasn't lost a baskeball game that bad in over a decade and they play a very good schedule year in and out. @kiddman32 can research that one.
MT is talented and has college like size.

I've seen Rocklin a couple times. They can make some noise in D2 but if they get pulled up into a loaded D1 in SJS I could see them losing in Semis'.

Off the top of my head... Campo lost to freakin' GRIDLEY in 2015, the year before Coach Dyer took over.

Looking that up now... it was 59-48. Two days earlier in the first round, the Cougs got shelled by El Cerrito 78-52.

The Cougs' star, Austin Clarke, had blown up his ankle in the finals of the Montgomery tournament the week before, and the team clearly hadn't recovered from the loss of their star. I was at that Gridley tourney, and it wasn't pretty.

Clarke was out for most of the season, at one point coming back for a couple games and then re-injuring the ankle. He did play some near the end of the year, far from 100%. This, along with the graduation of Rich Hansen the previous year (and some not-so-hot coaching, IMHO), contributed to a strange year in which they still somehow managed to make the NCS Playoffs in D3 and even won a game (against Piner). Including the playoff, the Cougs went 14-14.

That 2015-2016 coach lasted one year, having taken over for Matt Watson, who'd won a ton of games over the previous 7 years... But I digress... Let's see if I can find any other blowout losses since that infamous last-place finish at the 2015 Gridley tournament...

Cougs lost by double-digits a few times the following year (Dyer's first), but went 20-11 overall and made NorCals in D3. I think the worst was by 15 to Salesian in the D3 NCS finals.

CVC blasted the Cougs 84-53 during league in 2018... This was after they'd beaten the then-undefeated Uglies 100-98 in two OT's a couple weeks earlier thanks to Carter Mahaney's last-second heroics (hence my personal nickname for him, "Cardiac Carter" because he had several last-second winners). Um... I think the Uglies were mad or something...

Since then, the Cougs have lost by low double-digits a few times, but that CVC beatdown was the worst by far.

(and the 2015-16 season was really rough)

Off the top of my head... Campo lost to freakin' GRIDLEY in 2015, the year before Coach Dyer took over.

Looking that up now... it was 59-48. Two days earlier in the first round, the Cougs got shelled by El Cerrito 78-52.

The Cougs' star, Austin Clarke, had blown up his ankle in the finals of the Montgomery tournament the week before, and the team clearly hadn't recovered from the loss of their star. I was at that Gridley tourney, and it wasn't pretty.

Clarke was out for most of the season, at one point coming back for a couple games and then re-injuring the ankle. He did play some near the end of the year, far from 100%. This, along with the graduation of Rich Hansen the previous year (and some not-so-hot coaching, IMHO), contributed to a strange year in which they still somehow managed to make the NCS Playoffs in D3 and even won a game (against Piner). Including the playoff, the Cougs went 14-14.

That 2015-2016 coach lasted one year, having taken over for Matt Watson, who'd won a ton of games over the previous 7 years... But I digress... Let's see if I can find any other blowout losses since that infamous last-place finish at the 2015 Gridley tournament...

Cougs lost by double-digits a few times the following year (Dyer's first), but went 20-11 overall and made NorCals in D3. I think the worst was by 15 to Salesian in the D3 NCS finals.

CVC blasted the Cougs 84-53 during league in 2018... This was after they'd beaten the then-undefeated Uglies 100-98 in two OT's a couple weeks earlier thanks to Carter Mahaney's last-second heroics (hence my personal nickname for him, "Cardiac Carter" because he had several last-second winners). Um... I think the Uglies were mad or something...

Since then, the Cougs have lost by low double-digits a few times, but that CVC beatdown was the worst by far.

(and the 2015-16 season was really rough)
Yea, let's hear it for Gridley :) :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

I know this is off topic, but... A few more flashes of Memory Lane on that OT win vs. CVC...

CVC was 18-0 and ranked #4 in the USA by Maxpreps coming in to that one... Obviously, the computers were reaching, but CVC was still ranked #15 in the state by the same computers. Go fig, huh? The point is, though, that CVC was really good and ranked a good bit higher than Campo at the time...

So, Campo came out scorching hot and stayed that way for 3 quarters... but CVC outscored the Cougs 26-8 to force the first OT. 8-8 in the first one... At that point, 90 apiece.

The last play, the Cougs had the rock on their own end with maybe 6 seconds left at most, scored tied at 98... Pass came in to Carter as he broke past two defenders... He raced down the right side, angled in with the two guys in hot pursuit and got up a runner.... Glass, buzzer, IN!

Back to previously-scheduled programming... :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT