ADVERTISEMENT

Sac-Joaquin Championship week. 11/25 D1/D2/D3/D4/D5/D6

M.C. fan

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2022
Powerful teams made powerful statements and upsets were dulled by preparation and execution. Hats off to the top teams in each division as we gear up for Turkey Day our Thanksgiving followed by Championship High School Football. Familiar foes will once again face off for the trophy of being Top Dog for the Sac-Joaquin Section.

D1 Folsom Bulldogs 38-31 Oak Ridge Trojans TBA
D2 Manteca Buffaloes 44-34 Granite Bay Grizzlies TBA
D3 Grant Pacers 42-30 Christian Brothers Falcons TBA
D4 Capital Christian Cougars 24-23 Vanden Vikings TBA
D5 Escalon Cougars 27-24 Sonora Wildcats TBA
D6 Summerville Bears 31-28 Hughson Huskies TBA

Great seasons for Both teams and one big Trophy for the Victor! Goodluck

Last edited:
Here are my predictions D1-D4

Folsom 40
OR 28

Better game this round but too much speed and fire power. OR will return a team that should be in norcalpreps top 10 next year. Taylor building something special.

GB 28
Manteca 24

If this gets into 30 then I don’t see GB being able to keep up. They have to keep game in 20’s. (Somehow)

Grant 49
Christian Brothers 30
Pacers are on a tear.

Vanden 28
CC 24

Folsom over Oak Ridge: Don't think this one is that close. Folsom is playing well and I don't think Oak Ridge matches up well with their strengths.

Manteca over Granite Bay: Rocklin gave Manteca more of a score than I thought they would (up 9 in Q4), but still going with Manteca finding a way with enough big plays

Grant over CBS: No way I'm picking against Grant after going against them this past week lol. Too many playmakers for the Pacers.

Vanden over Capital Christian: Like the way Capital has come on the past few weeks, but Vanden grinds one out here

Reactions: M.C. fan
Folsom over Oak Ridge: Don't think this one is that close. Folsom is playing well and I don't think Oak Ridge matches up well with their strengths.

Manteca over Granite Bay: Rocklin gave Manteca more of a score than I thought they would (up 9 in Q4), but still going with Manteca finding a way with enough big plays

Grant over CBS: No way I'm picking against Grant after going against them this past week lol. Too many playmakers for the Pacers.

Vanden over Capital Christian: Like the way Capital has come on the past few weeks, but Vanden grinds one out here
@Streak One , regarding OR vs Folsom. I can’t deny the speed factor. But didn’t you think CC was going to play with Folsom tough into the 4th? I was at that game and CC defense isn’t even comparable to OR and quite frankly anybody in the SFL (except Whitney). OR has more size and speed than CC on defense and is deeper. I wasn’t impressed at all with their defense.
Offensively they have a weapon OR doesn’t. The RB From CC is a Beast. I’m not sure the SFL has a back that good. So offensively I give edge to CC and there QB was good too.

But Folsom is playing without smith and flores could be hurt. Those are the guys that killed OR in 2nd half. If flores is out or slowed down I think this makes things interesting .

Watch the first 2.5 qtrs of Folsom /OR game. It was a lot closer than people realize. I mean rocklin just played Folsom to a 1 score and was a pick 6 from tying that game.

I guess I think this game could throw a curve ball. One thing I will say is Mack is playing great.

@Streak One , regarding OR vs Folsom. I can’t deny the speed factor. But didn’t you think CC was going to play with Folsom tough into the 4th? I was at that game and CC defense isn’t even comparable to OR and quite frankly anybody in the SFL (except Whitney). OR has more size and speed than CC on defense and is deeper. I wasn’t impressed at all with their defense.
Offensively they have a weapon OR doesn’t. The RB From CC is a Beast. I’m not sure the SFL has a back that good. So offensively I give edge to CC and there QB was good too.

But Folsom is playing without smith and flores could be hurt. Those are the guys that killed OR in 2nd half. If flores is out or slowed down I think this makes things interesting .

Watch the first 2.5 qtrs of Folsom /OR game. It was a lot closer than people realize. I mean rocklin just played Folsom to a 1 score and was a pick 6 from tying that game.

I guess I think this game could throw a curve ball. One thing I will say is Mack is playing great.
For me, the Central Catholic game was a bit of an eye opener for Folsom. I have wondered most of the year if Serra and Folsom were separating themselves from the pack and last week cemented that for me.

I also liked CC's experience playing against Serra, St. Mary's and Bosco in not being wowed by the speed of Folsom like many teams are the first time around.

I'm also working with the idea that Casey Taylor led teams have struggled against Folsom for the most part. Event some really good teams at Del Oro.

Now, all of this could just be nonsense ramblings and over thinking, but that is why I think Folsom wins by a score like 35-14 though losing Smith is a big loss. Don't know yet if Flores can go or not

Reactions: larry legend33
The D1 Championship conversation comes down to a few basic football-level questions:

Can Oak Ridge execute with exceptional precision while maintaining a mystique that somewhat dazzles the Bulldogs? That's a really unique combination. Has Oak Ridge already built that mystique?

or

Can Oak Ridge match Folsom's overall talent level? If a team can match talent levels, then it can come down to execution. Is there any indication that Oak Ridge can match Folsom, even with the injuries?

or

Can Oak Ridge control the game flow and completely frustrate Folsom? When one team is seemingly outmatched, then its best shot at winning is to completely control HOW the game is played. Can Oak Ridge dictate the pace of the game for 48 minutes?

So basically, Oak Ridge needs to be De La Salle pre-2021, or Serra in 2022, or MT in 2019 to beat Folsom on Friday. Can Oak Ridge do any of that, and which do you think they have the best shot at?

Otherwise, Folsom rolls into the NorCal Regional.

Reactions: M.C. fan
The D1 Championship conversation comes down to a few basic football-level questions:

Can Oak Ridge execute with exceptional precision while maintaining a mystique that somewhat dazzles the Bulldogs? That's a really unique combination. Has Oak Ridge already built that mystique?

or

Can Oak Ridge match Folsom's overall talent level? If a team can match talent levels, then it can come down to execution. Is there any indication that Oak Ridge can match Folsom, even with the injuries?

or

Can Oak Ridge control the game flow and completely frustrate Folsom? When one team is seemingly outmatched, then its best shot at winning is to completely control HOW the game is played. Can Oak Ridge dictate the pace of the game for 48 minutes?

So basically, Oak Ridge needs to be De La Salle pre-2021, or Serra in 2022, or MT in 2019 to beat Folsom on Friday. Can Oak Ridge do any of that, and which do you think they have the best shot at?

Otherwise, Folsom rolls into the NorCal Regional.
Or can oak ridge be rocklin from a few weeks ago and put themselves in a position to win. Certainly the Thunder figured something out because that game came down to wire. And that something to me is win the Line of scrimmage and keep folsom off the field. There is no doubt OR has a better line than Folsom on both sides of the ball. LB are pretty close but folsom has edge. Secondary is where folsom is elite.
If flores and smith are both no go’s this game is way closer than people think. You don’t replace kids like that.

For me, the Central Catholic game was a bit of an eye opener for Folsom. I have wondered most of the year if Serra and Folsom were separating themselves from the pack and last week cemented that for me.

I also liked CC's experience playing against Serra, St. Mary's and Bosco in not being wowed by the speed of Folsom like many teams are the first time around.

I'm also working with the idea that Casey Taylor led teams have struggled against Folsom for the most part. Event some really good teams at Del Oro.

Now, all of this could just be nonsense ramblings and over thinking, but that is why I think Folsom wins by a score like 35-14 though losing Smith is a big loss. Don't know yet if Flores can go or not
I hear you streak. If smith was playing and flores 100% I would say not Much of a chance for OR. Too much speed.

The one thing that I was thinking back on is how weak OR preseason was this year. And I was critical of it. Part of that I think was Taylor building some confidence after a rough 2021. But in the end did it matter? Not really. OR has played best ball as of last month and that is all that counts. Momentum.. I’m not saying schedule soft next year because I’m not a fan but at least this years Trojan team it made no real difference.

Or can oak ridge be rocklin from a few weeks ago and put themselves in a position to win. Certainly the Thunder figured something out because that game came down to wire. And that something to me is win the Line of scrimmage and keep folsom off the field. There is no doubt OR has a better line than Folsom on both sides of the ball. LB are pretty close but folsom has edge. Secondary is where folsom is elite.
If flores and smith are both no go’s this game is way closer than people think. You don’t replace kids like that.
Well, Rocklin lost.

Playing close isn't winning. Looking at the stats from that R.vs.F. game, Folsom had waaaaay too many plays on the night. Obviously, they missed on a lot of those, but that's not a reliable strategy.

Folsom can win running or passing, so it's not about forcing them into being one-dimensional. They beat D.O. by 4 TDs with -3 rushing yards. They have won by being balanced and when they are one-dimensional. They have won through the big play and through sustained drives. It's not about matching them score for score and hoping you have the ball last. Folsom is fine with that style of game. They are comfortable with all of that.

What they don't like is not having the ball.

If Oak Ridge wants to win, they will need to limit the number of shots Folsom has. Keeping Folsom off the field frustrates them. It's about taking them completely out of their rhythm.

Reactions: coachlittle
Well, Rocklin lost.

Playing close isn't winning. Looking at the stats from that R.vs.F. game, Folsom had waaaaay too many plays on the night. Obviously, they missed on a lot of those, but that's not a reliable strategy.

Folsom can win running or passing, so it's not about forcing them into being one-dimensional. They beat D.O. by 4 TDs with -3 rushing yards. They have won by being balanced and when they are one-dimensional. They have won through the big play and through sustained drives. It's not about matching them score for score and hoping you have the ball last. Folsom is fine with that style of game. They are comfortable with all of that.

What they don't like is not having the ball.

If Oak Ridge wants to win, they will need to limit the number of shots Folsom has. Keeping Folsom off the field frustrates them. It's about taking them completely out of their rhythm.
I slightly disagree. While I agree that time of possession against Folsom is critical to me it’s about limiting the big plays. Look at the last 3 Rocklin games against them. It has been low scoring in all three. This is because Rocklin rallied to check downs and forced Folsom to go to the third option in pass game. Running the ball is something Folsom does NOT want to do. They are a pass team (NorCal passing academy) that really only run 2 run plays (wide zone and Wrap). When you can rally to check downs and Tackle that is the recipe in my opinion. 2-3 blitzes a game that have to get home or you will get burned. Make the teenage QB read the entire field every play and force the third read check down. I realize Rocklin is 1-2 but who has contained that offense more in the past 2 years in the SJS?

And yes I know they lost but they put themselves in a position to win. Not many can say that. And rocklin kicks the snot out of folsom both times (bad) if there QB didn’t get hurt last year. So they figured something out.

Let's be honest about Rocklin. They have played good defense against the Bulldogs, but the only time they beat Folsom was when the starting QB was out.

This season, Folsom averages 23.5 carries and over 100 yards rushing per game. The three times they rushed fewer than 20 times they won 47-18, 55-7, and 34-7. They can and will run, so it must be accounted for.

Forcing them into check downs and into their third option in the passing game is even MORE useful the FEWER times they get the ball.

I'm CLEARLY no Folsom homer. I'm just saying that frustrating Folsom by playing keep away is the most effective strategy for beating them. If they feel the anxious need to press, then stopping the run and forcing them into check downs just increases their frustration. Totally agree. But play keep away first. Unless of course, you can match them athletically.

Let's be honest about Rocklin. They have played good defense against the Bulldogs, but the only time they beat Folsom was when the starting QB was out.

This season, Folsom averages 23.5 carries and over 100 yards rushing per game. The three times they rushed fewer than 20 times they won 47-18, 55-7, and 34-7. They can and will run, so it must be accounted for.

Forcing them into check downs and into their third option in the passing game is even MORE useful the FEWER times they get the ball.

I'm CLEARLY no Folsom homer. I'm just saying that frustrating Folsom by playing keep away is the most effective strategy for beating them. If they feel the anxious need to press, then stopping the run and forcing them into check downs just increases their frustration. Totally agree. But play keep away first. Unless of course, you can match them athletically.
No argument MT. I’m just giving rocklin some love.

And quite Frankly nobody (and I mean nobody ) had OR in section champ. I laughed at Joe Davison when he had them 18th in sac area to start season. What a clown. They are a year away from being very good. Taylor gets recognition for coach of year in calif. He takes a 3-7 team to 10-2 in section finals in a year.

No argument MT. I’m just giving rocklin some love.

And quite Frankly nobody (and I mean nobody ) had OR in section champ. I laughed at Joe Davison when he had them 18th in sac area to start season. What a clown. They are a year away from being very good. Taylor gets recognition for coach of year in calif. He takes a 3-7 team to 10-2 in section finals in a year.
OR got lucky in the playoff matchups. Turlock was nothing. OR would have been blown out against CC.

OR got lucky in the playoff matchups. Turlock was nothing. OR would have been blown out against CC.
CC and Folsom were a good matchup. Folsom versus Oak Ridge is historical, local and has community bragging rights at Raleys. Oak Ridge will be in it to win. Folsom is very strong and might put this game away early. Goodluck to both Oak Ridge and Folsom!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT