ADVERTISEMENT

Sac state

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
I thought they could get 5 wins this season. After watching the EW game I’m very bullish on the hornets. This is a damn good football team. They put a licking on #22 EW 48-27 and I don’t see any reason this can’t be a playoff caliber team. Pretty amazing what those coaches have been able to do. I hope some of those local recruits seriously consider sac state. How fun would it be to see a powerhouse fcs program.

I thought they could get 5 wins this season. After watching the EW game I’m very bullish on the hornets. This is a damn good football team. They put a licking on #22 EW 48-27 and I don’t see any reason this can’t be a playoff caliber team. Pretty amazing what those coaches have been able to do. I hope some of those local recruits seriously consider sac state. How fun would it be to see a powerhouse fcs program.
coaching matters.

It was been a great start to the Troy Taylor era. Something I look for in coaching transition is how much talent was left, who kind of guys the new staff looks to bring in and how they develop.

Curious what the talent level looked like after last year. I seem to remember Sac State had some tough injuries last year

But to have this kind of success before the roster is filled with "their guys" bodes well for Sacramento State in the future.

Make no mistake Taylor inherited some talent in 2017 SS was 7-4 6-2 in conference. Taylor is a great coach but there are Jimmy's and Joe's on the roster. Sac State seems to be more balanced on offense than they were in the past. They have leaned heavily on their stud RB Elijah Dotson the past couple of years and I've noticed his numbers are down this year.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised. A lot of Hornets fans I know thought 2 wins was likely due to the schedule (IIRC they have the toughest in FCS).

Going into the season I felt 3-5 was possible and that anything over that was gravy. I still feel that way.

This upcoming game against Montana State is pivotal. They manage to win it, and the sky's the limit. They lose it and it's doubtful they'll be in the mix for a playoff spot.

It was been a great start to the Troy Taylor era. Something I look for in coaching transition is how much talent was left, who kind of guys the new staff looks to bring in and how they develop.

Curious what the talent level looked like after last year. I seem to remember Sac State had some tough injuries last year

But to have this kind of success before the roster is filled with "their guys" bodes well for Sacramento State in the future.

I've read a few quotes from Coach Taylor where he has been complimentary about the talent and types of kids Jody Sears recruited the past few years. I can't recall his exact words, but he seemed to indicate that they have good character, strong work ethic and love for the game. Which are the types of players he looks for himself.

And they did return some pretty nice talent. They were also fortunate to have players such as Kevin Thomson and George Obinna granted additional seasons of eligibility by the NCAA.

Another factor I've heard mentioned during the TV broadcasts is that Taylor hired a full time strength and conditioning coach. Apparently the program didn't have that luxury beforehand and it has been paying dividends. AD Mark Orr & President Nelsen have noticeably been investing into the football program, which is precisely why Taylor was sought out as HC.

Lastly, I completely agree that it is exciting to think of what the future of the program might be once Coach Taylor and staff get a few more recruiting classes under their belt. I follow several of the coaches on twitter and one of them mentioned an increase in interest in the program among prospective recruits. Apparently a lot of HS/JC players are reaching out to them.

They have leaned heavily on their stud RB Elijah Dotson the past couple of years and I've noticed his numbers are down this year.

One of my only gripes with Taylor and his offense this season is not getting the ball in Dotson's hands more via traditional runs. He has a lot of receptions, but his carries are way down. Part of that is due to how games have unfolded (blowouts), part of it is due to Elijah nursing an injury. But there have been times when Taylor has refused to run the ball during stages of the game where it's needed. It's almost like they've been using Dotson as a decoy.

Although they finally started feeding #33 the ball during the 2nd half of the last game against EWU. Not so coincidentally he had his most productive rushing performance of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
I have been saying it since the staff left Folsom....get your season tickets....they are building it and it WILL come.....

I think this town has been starving for a team and will now get it....I bet attendance rolls..

Last edited:
Yes its pretty exciting. It is awesome to see local talent on the field as well. #24 Davion Ross is an Inderkum graduate. Our big DE from last year Brandon Knott is a redshirt. The coaches are doing it right.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I have been saying it since the staff left Folsom....get your season tickets....they are building it and it WILL come.....

I think this town has been starving for a team and will now get it....I bet attendance rolls..

Hope you’re right.

While I grew up a Buckeyes fan, I’ve been wishing for a local area program to rise up since I was in HS. Been following the Hornets routinely since they moved up to FCS in 1996 with the pipe dream that they might be in position to go FBS one day.

As I know you know, this area is a sleeping giant with regard to being a huge sports town devoid of an FBS college program. Closest are in Berkeley and Reno.

Sac State has always been the most capable of being that program if they could ever get their focus and act together.

I thought the basketball program might be on the rise a couple seasons ago, but that has seemingly flamed out. Now it’s the football programs turn. With the University President and AD in full support and Coach Taylor and staff in place, the opportunity to build something is there.

Let’s hope they can make something of it.

Reactions: WWHS44
The likely consequence if they do well and build over the next two seasons, I could see Taylor moving on to a bigger program and taking the staff with him.

Reactions: THEOC89
The likely consequence if they do well and build over the next two seasons, I could see Taylor moving on to a bigger program and taking the staff with him.

you’re probably right Weber State has a stud young coach named Jay Hill for several years I expect him to move up soon.

If an FBS school can take a former Cal High HC and skip JUCO/FCS, albeit only the third one in history, the former Golden Bear can bank on making the FBS- five bucks signing; $$$$$.

Reactions: coachlittle

Possibly. But Taylor forfeited a ton of $$ to come back home and take the job. A lot of people didn’t expect him to do that. So it’s also possible $$ isn’t a huge motivator and that coaching at home with friends might be more appealing. Only he knows for sure.

Also, building a program from the ground up rather than inheriting an already established program is among the bigger challenges any coach can face. Some might find that very appealing.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Possibly. But Taylor forfeited a ton of $$ to come back home and take the job. A lot of people didn’t expect him to do that. So it’s also possible $$ isn’t a huge motivator and that coaching at home with friends might be more appealing. Only he knows for sure.

Also, building a program from the ground up rather than inheriting an already established program is among the bigger challenges any coach can face. Some might find that very appealing.

I hope you are right because it would be better to have a good college program local but Taylor moved 3 times in 3 years to get an HC position so he clearly wanted to improve his situation but maybe being home is the perfect place for him.

I hope you are right because it would be better to have a good college program local but Taylor moved 3 times in 3 years to get an HC position so he clearly wanted to improve his situation but maybe being home is the perfect place for him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he will stay or doesn’t have ambition to be a HC elsewhere. I have no clue. No inside info to offer.

Just pointing out that he already surprised by making a somewhat unconventional decision to accept a lot less $$$ when he probably could have stayed put or moved to another FBS program as OC while still being in line for a more high profile HC job down the road.

I’m just hopeful that Coach Taylor, Coach Richardson and staff are sold on the idea of doing something special here in SAC. But time will tell....

TR- that is a damn good team. I watched some of it today and make no mistake about it. Sac state is for real. I will try and make it out as well.

Yeah, their lines pretty much handled MSU today. The Bobcats boasted the top rushing attack in the Big Sky, and while they were able to have success against Sac State — they were held in check when it mattered most.

Conversely, the Bobcats defense was 2nd in the Big Sky in sacks, behind the Hornets, yet they were completely ineffective this afternoon. IIRC the Hornets o-line has yet to allow a sack against non-FBS competition and they didn’t allow one today either. Thomson faced pressure on only a few occasions and was able to do pretty much what he wanted for most the game. I think the Hornets converted well over 80% of their 3rd down opportunities.

Now they’ll face off against a Montana program they’ve only beaten one time ever. Possibly for the Big Sky title, although there are still numerous challenges to come. The Hornets own the most difficult schedule in the Big Sky and I believe it was rated 6th most difficult in the entire FCS. So there’s still a lot of work to be done even if they do manage to earn another big W next Saturday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
Another big victory for Sacramento State this year. Momentum is building up for the Homecoming game this week.

IMO, this majority of this staff will stay long term at Sacramento State. Some of the position coaches may move on, but I like Taylor/Richardson see this as a chance to build a college program near their natural home base

I hope so streak. I believe sac state paid up for the coaches finally. And Taylor likes this area. You could literally build a champ team year in and out getting those local 2-3 star type kids that slip thru cracks. I’m excited

This is a great start to the 2019 season. Watched my first Sac State football game ever yesterday. I was definitely impressed with what I saw from Sac State. Don't know much about FCS football but it looks like coach Taylor and Co. are on to something.

Much success the rest of the way! Much success to recruiting the Sac region and beyond. Looks like the Sac area has a huge advantage geographically/demographically; with athletes, alumni, weather, metropolitan and media.

My wife, niece and I are headed out to tonight's Homecoming game. Huge game for the Hornets, who are exceeding 1st season expectations from the masses. I sure hope they send Hornets fans home happy. I'm expecting a nice crowd.

Anybody from the board also heading out to Hornet Stadium tonight?

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
TR bummed I can’t make it. Think it’s awesome you are heading out. Keep us updated. I saw Taylor at OR game last night. Nice to see him around the SFL!

1) Parker Clayton is a stud. Terrific catches and great blocking wideout for his size. Only a freshman and Folsom native (obviously). Starter and walked-on. Had a awesome one-handed snatch with one foot in bounds.

2) Thomson is the real deal, made some big time throws. Controls the game very well for sac.

3) defense- looked good, I think the LBs were solid, but need more speed in my opinion. Also Montana line is big and does a great job giving the QB time. Corners made some big plays for sac state 2 picks when the game was worth watching.

Most of all those guys are having fun. They know they are a good team, they play with the swagger of a good team. No stupid Personal fouls, or late hits, they were disciplined. I was very impressed with what I watched vs a top 5 FCS team.

I watched the game on TV. Bummed I couldn’t be there like TR. Sounds like 15k+ attendance. That is so nice to hear. Maybe I’m delusional but sac state the way they are playing looks to be a national title type team. They completely dominated Montana. The D-line is incredible and Thomson is a great general out there. Lots of buzz in stinger land!

1) Parker Clayton is a stud. Terrific catches and great blocking wideout for his size. Only a freshman and Folsom native (obviously). Starter and walked-on. Had a awesome one-handed snatch with one foot in bounds.

2) Thomson is the real deal, made some big time throws. Controls the game very well for sac.

3) defense- looked good, I think the LBs were solid, but need more speed in my opinion. Also Montana line is big and does a great job giving the QB time. Corners made some big plays for sac state 2 picks when the game was worth watching.

Most of all those guys are having fun. They know they are a good team, they play with the swagger of a good team. No stupid Personal fouls, or late hits, they were disciplined. I was very impressed with what I watched vs a top 5 FCS team.
I'm sorry but your post paints a picture as if the Hornets had lost the game. It could be the fact that I don't know the names of many Hornets players and don't have a roster in front of me. That said, your reporting is awesome. The Junkie

Talk about a message! I don’t want to get ahead of myself here but Sac State has not only made statements, they also sent messages. Think about this, what if Vanderbilt beat in consecutive weeks, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama, and not only beat them, but BEAT them? I watched the Hornets beat both Eastern Washington and Montana, and I read what Montana State’s stud defender said, that Sac State was a step ahead of them “schematically” all day. That’s coaching. I believe this could send a shutter through the rest of this league. Why? Because of the very fertile recruiting turf. You think local, and not so local kids who aren’t D1 blue chippers won’t want to play for Taylor and what he’s building? Wait until he gets his guys, although he was left with a closet full of talent. With what Taylor is doing at Sac State and what Hawkins is doing at UC Davis, this Sacramento area will e able to enjoy some top notch FCS football. Oh, BTW that every home game telecast on the CW for Sac State will also be a game changer for them. Great move for the Hornets.....

That’s the thing with amazing talent right there at their fingertips both those programs could be monsters. Sac St with Taylor are building something beautiful loaded with NorCal talent, very cool to see !

Just a hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lamson from OR gets an offer soon from Sac State after seeing what he’s done this year and Taylor/staff at game on Friday. Personally I think he’s got a little higher ceiling but Sac State looks damn good right now.

There are so many good local 2+ Star kids that they could poach. You start seeing 15-20k at games if they continue to win and recruiting gets easier.

I'm sorry but your post paints a picture as if the Hornets had lost the game. It could be the fact that I don't know the names of many Hornets players and don't have a roster in front of me. That said, your reporting is awesome. The Junkie
How? Also I stated a win vs a top 5 FCS team. Not to mention the title of the thread is SAC STATE. All I talked about was how good sac state looked. Either get familiar with the team or don’t expect to understand a detailed run down of the game. Maybe this will help you. Sac state 49 Montana 22. Sac state is good. #9 for sac state is good. And # 5 for sac state is good.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT