ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento pre season top 10

vukovich

Sports Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
Well there hasn't been much talk of hoops in general let alone Sacramento teams so let's get one going. I will put out my preseason top 10 with what I have seen in the off season and anticipating rosters as best I can. From what I can tell there was little or no big transfers in the area going into this year. The top 4-5 teams should all be pretty close IMO.

1. Folsom (11-2) Although they lose a very good player to Sonoma State (Wells) Folsom is very solid and 9-10 deep with a very good coach.

2. Jesuit (16-0) Sacramento's best team last year loses a lot but still returns a lot with probably the best returning player in town in Stojacovich.

3. Elk Grove (11-1) This team returns a ton of experience and Britton is one of the 3 best players in the area.

4. Sheldon (4-6) The Huskies were unusually bad last year and the high end talent that they had for 10 + years doesn't seem to be there anymore. But still very solid and improved a ton in the off season.

5. Inderkum (7-2) Claxton is a d1 bound player and they added a few players via transfer including a big so they are kind of a dark horse contender.

6. Grant (7-3) The Pacers are always in the mix year in and year out and this year should be no different. Matthews, Brown and Bobo can all play.

7. Sac High (4-7) Roseborough might be the best player in the city but their supporting cast and coaching seems to be average at best.

8. Oakmont (15-5) Two new transfers added to sophomore Kevin Haupt gives the Vikings their best team in a long time. Haupt will be 20+ ppg guy

9. Rocklin (10-6) Coach Taylor lost some key seniors but does move up and excellent JV team the Thunder always compete and get after it.

10. Ponderosa (7-1) Very much an under the radar team in the foothils the Bruins were quietly good last year and return everyone.

Well there hasn't been much talk of hoops in general let alone Sacramento teams so let's get one going. I will put out my preseason top 10 with what I have seen in the off season and anticipating rosters as best I can. From what I can tell there was little or no big transfers in the area going into this year. The top 4-5 teams should all be pretty close IMO.

1. Folsom (11-2) Although they lose a very good player to Sonoma State (Wells) Folsom is very solid and 9-10 deep with a very good coach.

2. Jesuit (16-0) Sacramento's best team last year loses a lot but still returns a lot with probably the best returning player in town in Stojacovich.

3. Elk Grove (11-1) This team returns a ton of experience and Britton is one of the 3 best players in the area.

4. Sheldon (4-6) The Huskies were unusually bad last year and the high end talent that they had for 10 + years doesn't seem to be there anymore. But still very solid and improved a ton in the off season.

5. Inderkum (7-2) Claxton is a d1 bound player and they added a few players via transfer including a big so they are kind of a dark horse contender.

6. Grant (7-3) The Pacers are always in the mix year in and year out and this year should be no different. Matthews, Brown and Bobo can all play.

7. Sac High (4-7) Roseborough might be the best player in the city but their supporting cast and coaching seems to be average at best.

8. Oakmont (15-5) Two new transfers added to sophomore Kevin Haupt gives the Vikings their best team in a long time. Haupt will be 20+ ppg guy

9. Rocklin (10-6) Coach Taylor lost some key seniors but does move up and excellent JV team the Thunder always compete and get after it.

10. Ponderosa (7-1) Very much an under the radar team in the foothils the Bruins were quietly good last year and return everyone.
How does Cap Christian look this year?

Several of these teams are playing in a 4-game showcase Nov. 20. It’s at that new Fortune Early College school south of Cosumnes Oaks HS.

Info on that thread…. Fun times for me!!

Reactions: Coach55Coach

Great insight! I agree about the top 5 Inderkum and Elk Grove have the pieces to make it happen this season. Also agree the Kevin Haupt is a certified bucket. Looking forward to some great hoops this year

Excellent list. I like Pondo a lot on d3 this year. Excellent coached team and they return a 6”10 kid and a lot of solid guards.
Folsom is just so deep. They will play 100% and just come at you in waves. Can’t wait for the season.
Any word on Whitney? They always put together a deep team in d2 and have a really nice program.

I knew I forgot someone! I thibk definitely in 6-10 range. They graduated a ton and everyone was assuming they would bring in a bunch of horses as usual but as far as I know they did not.

I knew I forgot someone! I thibk definitely in 6-10 range. They graduated a ton and everyone was assuming they would bring in a bunch of horses as usual but as far as I know they did not
This is a good list. I would replace Rocklin with El Camino and flip flop Grant-Inderkum.
I 100% agree with Folsom, Jesuit and El Grove.
EC could definitely be in the mix. Kiku is a load as a high school guard.

Capital is returning only 1 varsity starter - unless some football guys have changed their mind about playing basketball now that they have no more football.

Whats the story with Malik Rose at Folsom? Heard he has been ruled ineligible for the season but don't understand why?Does anyone have any facts?

Capital is returning only 1 varsity starter - unless some football guys have changed their mind about playing basketball now that they have no more football.

Whats the story with Malik Rose at Folsom? Heard he has been ruled ineligible for the season but don't understand why?Does anyone have any facts?
That kid must be 21. He was a 17 year old soph 3 years ago.

Not that guy. CIF turned down his request for an extra year.
No I think we are talking about the same guy. Wasn’t this the small guard who played a coupe seasons ago for Folsom and then moved away? He was energetic but often in walls doghouse.
Folsom has tons of talent. There problem long term will be they are all 6”1-6”2 guys.

Well, Folsom did not look like the Sacramento number 1 last night vs Sheldon. 20 point loss. After a week of games it’s looking to me like this;

1) Sheldon
2) Jesuit
3) Folsom
4) Inderkum
5) Grant
6) Elk Grove
7) Sac High
8) El Camino
9) Capital
10) Rocklin

Well, Folsom did not look like the Sacramento number 1 last night vs Sheldon. 20 point loss. After a week of games it’s looking to me like this;

1) Sheldon
2) Jesuit
3) Folsom
4) Inderkum
5) Grant
6) Elk Grove
7) Sac High
8) El Camino
9) Capital
10) Rocklin
Foundation games should be taken with a grain of salt. Different coaches utilize it as a glorified scrimmage. But to your point sheldon could definitely be the best team in town they had a good showing down in LA already. Inderkum has looked very strong early on as well.

Foundation games should be taken with a grain of salt. Different coaches utilize it as a glorified scrimmage. But to your point sheldon could definitely be the best team in town they had a good showing down in LA already. Inderkum has looked very strong early on as well.
Agreed, but Coach Wall is not coming in to any gym with the thought process of losing a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT