ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State picks up a pair of 2023 standouts

funny you say that. I was thinking something similar as the Hornets were driving. I was telling my buddies they need to stop passing and running the hurry up”. In the Hornet‘s defense, they did finally slow down and let about 35 seconds run off the clock once they got the ball down to the 2 yard line, but sadly they should have done it on the two previous downs from the UIW 12 yard line.

By the time they started considering the clock, it was too late to waste enough of it because UIW had all 3 time outs. since O’Hara was stopped on 1st down from the 2, UIW used their 1st TO. at that point, I don’t think the risk/reward is worth it to take a knee merely to waste another UIW timeout. Had they had no timeouts left, then I’d have taken a knee.

really a rough way to end the season, and a golden opportunity to host a National Semifinal vs NDSU

Right, in the Hornets situation kneeling at the 2 was no good. I was more referring to the GHS game in that regard.

But with the Hornets game I was yelling out loud as they ran hurry up after passing midfield.

I’ve seen countless HS, college and pro teams do it and I don’t get it.

Especially tied or down 3 with a capable kicker — there’s just no need to hurry and leave time.

This is more so true in HS and FCS where teams can move the ball and score so quickly due to the lack of athletes across the field on defense and shoddy officiating.

Reactions: mrbig864
while this sounds great, I cannot imagine a scenario that Taylor doesnt offer a spot on his staff to at least one of these guys, maybe more. I think Richardson is the most likely to jump w/Taylor, so perhaps if he’s offered the HC job - he stays. Otherwise, I’d guess he’d take an Asst role with Taylor, versus staying on at Sac St, and make 3x the income, hope I’m wrong

And so it begins. My understanding is about 10-15 Hornets entered the portal today, Ilve heard Marshall was amongst those players entering.

id be interested in hearing if Skateboo entering the portal was a direct result of Taylor leaving, or if it was only a coincidence (as today was the first day players were able to enter)?

I’m hearing rumors Richardson will be named head coach at Sac State. They have their guy and he can keep the pipeline intact. I’m a little surprised if it’s true.

Reactions: MC415
I’m hearing rumors Richardson will be named head coach at Sac State. They have their guy and he can keep the pipeline intact. I’m a little surprised if it’s true.
I’d be happy about that.

another rumor around Sac St is that Thompson was all but promised the DC position by Taylor, but that offer was rescinded (perhaps in light of Stanford influence after watching UIW march up and down the field on Friday night.)

Edit: rumor stated Thompson was perhaps offered an alternative spot on Taylors staff, just not as DC.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
If true, that pipeline will likely diminish over time. I don't see Richardson at the same level as Taylor. Maybe another up-and-comer can come in and take over a pretty decent roster now that Sac State has shown they can be competitive and have had success. Needs to happen over Christmas I would think to help the new coach recruit. Maybe keep a coach or two from the current staff to help players with the adjustment.

If true, that pipeline will likely diminish over time. I don't see Richardson at the same level as Taylor. Maybe another up-and-comer can come in and take over a pretty decent roster now that Sac State has shown they can be competitive and have had success. Needs to happen over Christmas I would think to help the new coach recruit. Maybe keep a coach or two from the current staff to help players with the adjustment.
I don’t disagree but Taylor was a unicorn at sac state.
I always felt he could coach anywhere in the country.
Nearly impossible shoes to fill.

Agree across the board. There’s just no way to fill the hole left by Taylor. New coach announcement is gonna happen fast (it has to for a variety of reasons). I’m guessing we’ll know by weeks end, maybe sooner.

Thompsom may make the most sense from an experience standpoint - but then does KR leave if he’s not offered the HC role? I think if KR is offered the HC role, there’s a better chance to keep all 3 (Richardson, Thompson and Fresques).

I think the circumstances make it tough for Orr to consider anyone outside the current staff.

I’m not. To me the entire point of Taylor naming Richardson assistant HC was to set him up for promotion should he leave (just like how he succeeded him at Folsom).

Furthermore, why wouldn’t KR want a HC gig at a D1 program versus a lesser position at Stanford? Same reasoning behind Troy Taylor taking the massive pay cut in leaving Utah for Sac State.

JoeD of the Bee wrote an article yesterday where KR, Thompson and Fresques we’re all quoted as coveting the Sac State HC gig and that according to each of them they all want to stick together regardless of which actually lands the job.

Sacramento State (FCS): Defensive coordinator Andy Thompson has been promoted to head coach

not KR, he’s going to with TT and make that $$$$ as he should so his family can enjoy all the hours and years he’s put in

Reactions: THEOC89
Sacramento State (FCS): Defensive coordinator Andy Thompson has been promoted to head coach

not KR, he’s going to with TT and make that $$$$ as he should so his family can enjoy all the hours and years he’s put in
Joe Davidson is reporting it’s likely Richardson and Fresques are both likely to return. If all three of those coaches remain sac state will be just fine.

Reactions: ThunderRam
And so it begins. My understanding is about 10-15 Hornets entered the portal today, Ilve heard Marshall was amongst those players entering.

id be interested in hearing if Skateboo entering the portal was a direct result of Taylor leaving, or if it was only a coincidence (as today was the first day players were able to enter)?

This really annoys me.

Forget my absolutely hating NIL and the portal ( which is ruining college athletics), because I know coaching staff changes can often result in the NCAA granting players the option to transfer.

However Skattebo has stated many times how much he loves SAC and the program and how he felt loyalty because the Hornets were the only program to offer him out of HS. Of course all these P5 programs are interested NOW.

But I was fooled into thinking he was of the ilk to not only be loyal but be offended by the immense interest after the fact. I know I would.

If Marshel Martin also leaves — it’ll be a real setback for this program. But in Martin’s case he’s from Vallejo, not SAC and hasn’t been as outspoken as Skat regarding loyalty to Sac State (that I’ve heard or read).

Hopefully Taylor’s successor is announced soon and whomever remains can recruit these portal kids back to SAC.

After all, the grass isn’t always greener elsewhere but often just a different shade of green and sometimes yellow or brown.

No, he shouldn’t. Not with how glowingly he and his family have spoken of living in the area and his affinity for working with Thompson and Fresques. Plus his son is on the team.

He’s got lots of reasons to stay put. I keep telling you guys, not everyone is hung up on money. There’s more than you think.

Reactions: mrbig864
Per Sac Bee (and Joe D.)

All 3 seem to be remaining at Sac St (which would be about the best case scenario IMHO).

if you are behind the Bee’s pay wall and can’t read the story, heres a cool quote from Orr:

“I knew what we had in the building, what we had in our program on our staff. I listened to our student-athletes and believed in them, and I witnessed what Andy and Kris and Bobby did as coaches the last four years - in practices and games. We didn’t need a rebuild or reboot. We’re just going to reload and keep it going.”

#StingersUp

Reactions: ThunderRam
No, he shouldn’t. Not with how glowingly he and his family have spoken of living in the area and his affinity for working with Thompson and Fresques. Plus his son is on the team.

He’s got lots of reasons to stay put. I keep telling you guys, not everyone is hung up on money. There’s more than you think.
You also said TT was going turn down 20-25 million dollars to be a “old school hometown Hero”

@MC415
While you knock @ThunderRam for thinking Taylor might stay instead of taking a bigger job and a bigger paycheck (I think the paycheck was just a small part of TT leaving); lest us not forget what you said shortly thereafter about Richardson leaving and taking the money.

not KR, he’s going to with TT and make that $$$$ as he should so his family can enjoy all the hours and years he’s put in”

and then about 10 minutes later, KR posted this to his twitter page

bottom line, we all get it wrong sometimes.

@MC415
While you knock @ThunderRam for thinking Taylor might stay instead of taking a bigger job and a bigger paycheck (I think the paycheck was just a small part of TT leaving); lest us not forget what you said shortly thereafter about Richardson leaving and taking the money.

not KR, he’s going to with TT and make that $$$$ as he should so his family can enjoy all the hours and years he’s put in”

So are you saying that The Defensive Coordinator whose Defense gave up 63 points in a playoff game is now the head coach of Sac State?….. Is there something I missed?…..

@MC415

Yup and it’s 100% confirmed by a legitimate journalist that he was offered a position on TT staff and he turned it down then I am wrong…..considering his first hire at OL coach is coming from the NFL with prior D1 experience (Adams) I’m not so sure of that

Looks like KR is staying. I guess he didn’t have the pedigree to get the HC job. It will good to have him retained for local scene. Bummer that the hornets got a taste of success and many flocked to portal. I’m not so sure that doesn’t happen anyway in today’s world.

Yup and it’s 100% confirmed by a legitimate journalist that he was offered a position on TT staff and he turned it down then I am wrong…..considering his first hire at OL coach is coming from the NFL with prior D1 experience (Adams) I’m not so sure of that
KR WAS offered a spot on Stanfords staff, and would’ve made a lot more money than what his new contract at Sac will be. (Thompson was offered a spot in Stanford as well, but not as DC ). It’s my understanding that KRs role at Stanford would have been a smaller role, but it was still for ALOT more money than his new contract at Sac St.

Whether you want to believe me or not , whatever. But I’ve been told that some of the other Sac St assistants are, in fact, going to Stanford (not sure which ones, but have been told some are leaving). Honestly, my sources hadn’t anything about Fresques yet, so I’m relying on SacBee for the info that he is staying and moving into the OC role. I do know the Football strength and conditioning coach will be leaving and going w/Taylor to Stanford too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415
Looks like KR is staying. I guess he didn’t have the pedigree to get the HC job. It will good to have him retained for local scene. Bummer that the hornets got a taste of success and many flocked to portal. I’m not so sure that doesn’t happen anyway in today’s world.
Exactly!
It’ll be interesting to see how many players actually leave. And if so, how many are primary players. I’m not convinced Skateboo wasn’t planning to test the portal waters regardless, but obviously Taylor leaving made it an easier exercise to do so. Also, and I haven’t seen confirmation of Martin actually being in the portal. I did see a few others, one was a DB
loyalty or not, if I’m kicking some ass at FCS, and I think I have a chance to play after college, I don’t blame a kid for looking for an opportunity at a bigger name school. I think I just saw UC Davis lost their TE to Tennessee.

Re Sac St, it’s nice the big 3 assistants are staying, but I’ve heard some of the position coaches are headed to stanford. So we will see how the team looks.

I think Dunniway has one more year, and interested to see if Bennett or Hale gets a look at QB

You also said TT was going turn down 20-25 million dollars to be a “old school hometown Hero”

No, actually I didn’t. You‘ve simply misinterpreted what I’ve said. I can’t predict the future nor do I know TT well.

What I have said is that building something from scratch is much harder and much more of an accomplishment than being another link in an already established chain. And that money isn’t the end all, be all. And that TT had stated repeatedly that money wasn’t a motivating factor for him. And that his prior actions backed up his words, as he took less to go from Folsom to EWU then accepted roughly 300K less to go from Utah to Sac State. And that he and his family missed SAC dearly while away for a few years and being back and working with close friends meant a lot to them.

So based upon all those things I was optimistic that he might be in it for the longer haul. That’s it.

You nor anyone else has any idea what motivated him most to accept the Stanford job. You are just assuming it has to mostly be about the money, despite his own words repeated many times over about finding “bliss” in other things.

Lastly, as @mrbig864 already pointed out, the words and subsequent actions of Thompson, Richardson, and Fresques all staying together at Sac State (no matter which of the 3 landed the gig) certainly adds a lot of credence to what I thought about Taylor and the group of guys all along.

So are you saying that The Defensive Coordinator whose Defense gave up 63 points in a playoff game is now the head coach of Sac State?….. Is there something I missed?…..

Apparently you’ve missed a lot.

Like most of Thompson’s career. Where he’s been a very successful, respected, and coveted coach.

As JoeD of the Bee stated in his current article:

Thompson’s body of work as a coach went well beyond one game. It included a lot of big defensive efforts in key games, including this record-setting campaign with defensive stops that sealed games in the final two minutes of four games.

Thompson’s defenses accounted for the two lowest opponent scoring averages in Sacramento State’s Division I era, which started in 1994. In 2019, the Hornets allowed 22.5 points a game, recording the second most sacks in program history with 44. In 2021, the Hornets set a program record in allowing 19.1 points per game, and just 15.3 in the wide-open, prolific Big Sky.

In short … don’t be so short-sighted in judging and citing one game. I mean, if you really wanna go that route — then why should Taylor have landed the Stanford gig if judging from any of the lackluster losses from 2019 or 2021, most notably the playoff performances where the offense (his baby) underwhelmed?

Because it’s sum of the parts and not just one snap shot. You of all people should be able to understand that.

KR WAS offered a spot on Stanfords staff, and would’ve made a lot more money than what his new contract at Sac will be. (Thompson was offered a spot in Stanford as well, but not as DC ). It’s my understanding that KRs role at Stanford would have been a smaller role, but it was still for ALOT more money than his new contract at Sac St.

I don’t have any inside info, but it’s been clear all along how close these guys are and how they have operated in the past and then when all 3 were quoted as pledging to remain together no matter which of them landed the gig — I didn’t get the skepticism.

I will say that, initially, I was a tad surprised that Thompson was named HC over Richardson as I surmised the reasoning behind KR being named assistant HC by TT was to set him up as the successor.

But after thinking about it a bit more, Thompson has much more experience at the collegiate FCS level and was already being mentioned as a future HC candidate when TT convinced him to come to SAC in late 2018.

Then there is this, which helps explain even more:
Taylor hired Thompson to run his Hornets defenses after Thompson’s name kept coming up in coaching search conversations. Said Taylor to The Bee in a 2021 story, “He’s the smartest football guy I’ve been around, and I’ve been around some really, really smart guys, The plan he put together, his composure, the way he takes care of his guys ... he’s as valuable as they get.”

All things considered, these 3 guys staying put is probably as good an outcome as could have happened. An outcome a few of us mentioned as a possibility and that we greatly hoped would happen.

Now if only those guys can keep all the players in place and add some really good ones via the next recruiting class…..

It looks as if Carson Conklin is still all-in on the program, judging by his twitter response to Bobby Fresques being promoted to OC.

Last edited:
Troy Taylor is a talented coach who has an incredible football resume; both as a player and coach. He’s a a PAC-12 guy through and through. Stanford seemed like a seamless progression for him, given his track record and experiences. Just watching the moves that he was making, it seemed clear that he was on the fast track to the PAC-12 all along.

Taylor is as “Sacramento” as you can get! I’m not sure how things will work out now that he is gone.

Losing the players to the portal sounds right. Especially since the head coach bounced for a bigger opportunity. Players like Skattebo and Martin are probably fielding calls from FBS schools and deserve the opportunity to test their talents against better competition.

It’s hard to say if this coaching staff will keep the momentum going. Troy Taylor had that Pac-12 and NFL pedigree that is attractive to players.

Players like Skattebo and Martin are probably fielding calls from FBS schools and deserve the opportunity to test their talents against better competition.

I know this is a popular opinion around here, but one I strongly disagree with. For many reasons.

One of which is, unlike the coaches, these guys are amateurs (or are supposed to be) and not yet in their profession. Most coaches are older adults long since graduated from college that have been in their profession for years.

I believe these kids should own up to their commitments from the school that took the risk to offer them a full ride scholarship (which they accepted). Clearly none of these BIGGER or more PRESTIGIOUS schools thought enough of them to offer them the same out of HS. So unless there’s some irreconcilable differences or problems with the school/program — staying put and finish things out is the honorable and right thing to do.

Afterall, this isn’t 1985 anymore. Players good enough for the next level are discovered wherever they play. These guys don’t have to be at a big school or be on National TV every week to be seen and noticed. Case in point are Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, Trey Lance, Khalil Mack, etc. all becoming top picks despite playing for smaller or FCS programs. That was far less likely to happen 30 years ago. But it happens routinely today. Same goes for HS to college.

IMO these kids become wired to believe they need to be at the bigger school simply due to the prestige and notoriety of it, not necessarily because it’s a better fit. Coming out of HS it’s often considered a lesser thing or insult not to go to a D1 FBS program. Often kids will “settle” for the lowest level FBS program they get offered over an FCS or D2 program simply because of the prestige.

That kind of thing should never be considered. Only fit, both academically and athletically.

I get wanting to test oneself against the best competition possible. But, again, if a player is good enough that will happen regardless. There’s nothing to indicate or prove that a player going to an FBS program will get better prepared than a player going to an FCS program simply because the competition is better. More FBS players make it to the next level than FCS because there is a larger volume of really good talent and players there. But the ones at FCS that are good enough still make it.

And there are many that get their chance to develop and shine at the lower levels that might have been buried on the depth chart at the FBS level. There’s a lot more to consider than many think.

Regardless, as I said, I know my opinion isn’t popular but it is how I see things. I’m just not influenced or wow’d by the same things many others are. And I religiously believe in loyalty and living up to promises and commitments.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Maybe their should be some "transfer" cost by the FBS if they take a transfer from and FCS? Maybe 1 yr of tuition at the FCS owed by the FBS to the FCS? Just spit-balling some ideas here.

Reactions: WWHS44

Clearly none of these BIGGER or more PRESTIGIOUS schools thought enough of them to offer them the same out of HS. So unless there’s some irreconcilable differences or problems with the school/program — staying put and finish things out is the honorable and right thing to do.
Maybe these kids weren’t quite good enough out of high school, and now they’ve worked hard, proven themselves, and earned an opportunity to play at a place/level they’ve always wanted? Why should they give up on their dream or goal of playing P5 football, simply because the opportunity arrived a Year or two later?

I get the “grass isn’t always greener” argument, and there is some validity to being a star or key contributor at an FCS school vs being buried down the depth chart at a P5. But those are case by case scenarios.

what if a kids dream isn’t the NFL, but to play big time college football (60k fans, bright lights of National TV, etc)? Why shouldn’t he take that opportunity if given to him? Why would you say that isn’t “the right thing to do”?

I know this is a popular opinion around here, but one I strongly disagree with. For many reasons.

One of which is, unlike the coaches, these guys are amateurs (or are supposed to be) and not yet in their profession. Most coaches are older adults long since graduated from college that have been in their profession for years.

I believe these kids should own up to their commitments from the school that took the risk to offer them a full ride scholarship (which they accepted). Clearly none of these BIGGER or more PRESTIGIOUS schools thought enough of them to offer them the same out of HS. So unless there’s some irreconcilable differences or problems with the school/program — staying put and finish things out is the honorable and right thing to do.

Afterall, this isn’t 1985 anymore. Players good enough for the next level are discovered wherever they play. These guys don’t have to be at a big school or be on National TV every week to be seen and noticed. Case in point are Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, Trey Lance, Khalil Mack, etc. all becoming top picks despite playing for smaller or FCS programs. That was far less likely to happen 30 years ago. But it happens routinely today. Same goes for HS to college.

IMO these kids become wired to believe they need to be at the bigger school simply due to the prestige and notoriety of it, not necessarily because it’s a better fit. Coming out of HS it’s often considered a lesser thing or insult not to go to a D1 FBS program. Often kids will “settle” for the lowest level FBS program they get offered over an FCS or D2 program simply because of the prestige.

That kind of thing should never be considered. Only fit, both academically and athletically.

I get wanting to test oneself against the best competition possible. But, again, if a player is good enough that will happen regardless. There’s nothing to indicate or prove that a player going to an FBS program will get better prepared than a player going to an FCS program simply because the competition is better. More FBS players make it to the next level than FCS because there is a larger volume of really good talent and players there. But the ones at FCS that are good enough still make it.

And there are many that get their chance to develop and shine at the lower levels that might have been buried on the depth chart at the FBS level. There’s a lot more to consider than many think.

Regardless, as I said, I know my opinion isn’t popular but it is how I see things. I’m just not influenced or wow’d by the same things many others are. And I religiously believe in loyalty and living up to promises and commitments.
Indeed! I see where you are coming from…

I’m wondering if Skattebo’s dream or goal was to play in the FBS, Pac-12 or a bowl game.

…Whether you want to believe me or not , whatever. But I’ve been told that some of the other Sac St assistants are, in fact, going to Stanford (not sure which ones, but have been told some are leaving). I do know the Football strength and conditioning coach will be leaving and going w/Taylor to Stanford too.
As I stated yesterday, other Sac St coaches are headed to Stanford, including RB Coach and Strength/Conditioning Coach.

Hoping that is the end of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT