ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State picks up a pair of 2023 standouts

Sac St struggled mightily but pulled it out. Run game was poor or non existant, way tooooo many dropped balls, run defense poor, pass rush was minimal at best...but they found a way to win and that's all that matters. It's really hard to play from behind in that type of weather. I was in person and it rained for all but 60 seconds. Sac St never held momentum, but give credit to Richmond. Sac St moves on and that's all that matters.

I didn’t watch game today but I saw the box score. Richmond’s ability to run and Dunniway’s 3 int’s stood out
It was an interesting game with a lot momentum swings. Felt like bout 3 or 4 different games within the game.

Sac State bailed on their run game VERY early IMHO. As he has been known to do, Dunniway had a few just miserable passes (the 3 ints, 2 inside the red zone, and another to give the ball up on Sac State’s own 30.). Outside those picks, I thought he was pretty accurate most of the night, and was a little unlucky on other occasions with a number of pretty routine catches dropped by all Sac St receivers not named Williams and Marshall (Game ball to Martin tonite, dude was a frickin beast!!)

O’Hara had a little Jeckle & Hyde game. He made an simply awful option read on 4th and 1 inside the Richmond 20 in the early 3rd. had he optioned it, Hornets would’ve easily gained a first down, and
likely a VERY BIG again. It felt like a really big missed opportunity at the time to me. With that stated, a series or two later, O’Hara dropped an absolute dime to Marshall for a long TD when everyone in the stadium was expecting a run on a big 3rd & 5.

The Hornets defense was pretty awful in the first half, but made some adjustments and started bringing pressure in the second half to Slow the Richmond QB, who was next to perfect in the 1st half. Richmond switched to the run after Halftime, and had immediate success for the first few possessions. After that, Sac St’s D tightened up. Spider’s QB really seemed to struggle with the wet ball in second half…as Hornets started bringing an extra man at him.

Lastly, some really big overturns on replays - one for each team, both couldve gone either way in my opinion. One took a TD off the board for Richmond on a fumble return (My two cents thinks the replay ref got it right with the overturn, but it was a game changer nevertheless). Another overturn took away a Hornet fumble recovery deep in Richmond territory (I was actually a bit surprised on this one, since the call on the field had gone the Hornets way). Not nearly as big of a call, but still stung Sac State at the time.

In the end - it was a pretty good game of adjustments. And a win is a win!. Heard Sac State has requested the Friday night game slot for next weeks Quarterfinals, so we will see if they get it.

#StingersUp

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba3000
I wasn’t surprised by that reversed fumble call by Richmond TE he bobbled it 3 times and never once had both hands on it with control I saw that from the first time they showed the replay but Sac St held on that’s what counts

I wasn’t surprised by that reversed fumble call by Richmond TE he bobbled it 3 times and never once had both hands on it with control I saw that from the first time they showed the replay but Sac St held on that’s what counts
Sorta. I tend to agree, But there was one angle hat seemed to show he had the ball awkwardly pinned to his chest with his left hand (very briefly), but because it was such a shaky grip, he tried to switch back to his right hand - also bobbling. He obviously made a football move, but I did understand why the reversal was made.

will take the W!!!

Reactions: MC415
I didn’t watch game today but I saw the box score. Richmond’s ability to run and Dunniway’s 3 int’s stood out

On another forum I predicted today’s game might well be decided by which version of Jake Dunniway showed up. That’s pretty much what happened. Luckily the Hornets eked out the W.

I like Jake. He seems like a good kid. But when he gets pressured or flustered he often panics and makes awful decisions that a player of his collegiate experience shouldn’t still be making. He just throws the ball of for grabs. The 3 INT’s he had today were all avoidable. Which is usually the case with him.

Props to Jake for the great throws he made today but w/o the unforced mistakes and errant throws — several of which occurred while in scoring position — the Hornets might have been able to run away with the game the 2nd half. But instead they had to find a way to hang on.

Sorta. I tend to agree, But there was one angle hat seemed to show he had the ball awkwardly pinned to his chest with his left hand (very briefly), but because it was such a shaky grip, he tried to switch back to his right hand - also bobbling. He obviously made a football move, but I did understand why the reversal was made.

will take the W!!!

Both fumbles against both teams were eventually ruled correctly. Which is great news.

I was on tilt when they ruled Jared Gipson’s drop a scoop and score. Had the instant review process not been in place that likely would have been Sac State’s demise. But by the letter of the law regarding what constitutes a legal catch it was incomplete. He never had possession long enough to make a football move.

Same applied to the Richmond TE. He took multiple steps with the ball but was juggling it the entire time until it finally slipped from his grasp.

Sac St struggled mightily but pulled it out. Run game was poor or non existant, way tooooo many dropped balls, run defense poor, pass rush was minimal at best...but they found a way to win and that's all that matters. It's really hard to play from behind in that type of weather. I was in person and it rained for all but 60 seconds. Sac St never held momentum, but give credit to Richmond. Sac St moves on and that's all that matters.

I was telling my wife a little while ago that are a couple different ways to judge this game.

Weather aside, the fact that Sac State won a game in which they couldn’t run the ball or stop the run AND lost the turnover battle is pretty crazy. And in a way quite impressive. Especially considering that several of the turnovers (including turnovers on downs) occurred within scoring range.

The biggest concern was, again, falling a bit flat in the first postseason game after a BYE week. While they did score first this time around, today marked the 3rd consecutive time they fell behind by multiple scores during the 1st half.

Equally concerning was having to abandon the run so early on. Richmond just completely took that aspect away from the Hornets today. But like all good teams do, the Hornets were able find other ways to move the ball and score. Aside from Dunniway making those awful mistakes the passing game was pretty on-point (O’Hara made good throws too) and special teams helped to save the season.

Tau-Tolliver’s kick returns were phenomenal.

O’Hara had a little Jeckle & Hyde game. He made an simply awful option read on 4th and 1 inside the Richmond 20 in the early 3rd. had he optioned it, Hornets would’ve easily gained a first down, and
likely a VERY BIG again.

Agreed.

One of my gripes with Asher is almost always pulling the ball on the read option (there’s no way that’s ALWAYS the correct read). Defenses have really caught on to that.

But I’m glad Coach Taylor is allowing him to throw the ball a lot more lately thus catching defenses by surprise anticipating tendencies. The TD throw O’Hara made to Pierre Williams was not only a beautifully thrown ball but a phenomenal play call coming out of the same set and play action as the previous QB sweep.

Lastly, what a surprise and shot in the arm it was to have Devin Gandy play in this game. He’s arguably the Hornets most explosive play maker and hadn’t played all season. I never saw anything official re: his injury status at any point this season. I just figured he was red-shirting due to some type of season ending injury.

But boy was his presence in the line up huge. He made a big play that helped turn around a 2-score deficit. He might play a big role next week and beyond…..

I was telling my wife a little while ago that are a couple different ways to judge this game.

Weather aside, the fact that Sac State won a game in which they couldn’t run the ball or stop the run AND lost the turnover battle is pretty crazy. And in a way quite impressive. Especially considering that several of the turnovers (including turnovers on downs) occurred within scoring range.

The biggest concern was, again, falling a bit flat in the first postseason game after a BYE week. While they did score first this time around, today marked the 3rd consecutive time they fell behind by multiple scores during the 1st half.

Equally concerning was having to abandon the run so early on. Richmond just completely took that aspect away from the Hornets today. But like all good teams do, the Hornets were able find other ways to move the ball and score. Aside from Dunniway making those awful mistakes the passing game was pretty on-point (O’Hara made good throws too) and special teams helped to save the season.

Tau-Tolliver’s kick returns were phenomenal.

The team that played better (imo) did not win. But I would also say that the better team still won. I would go out on a limb and say that Richmond probably executed their game plan better than sac st but this shows how good of staff sac st has. Playing from behind in bad weather, no run game, defense struggled for the 1st 3 qtrs (zero pass rush), so many dropped balls but the coaching staff adjusted and found a way to win. Great teams win in all types of ways and I think Sac has showed that all year long.

The team that played better (imo) did not win. But I would also say that the better team still won.

This is precisely why I‘m choosing a glass is half full way of looking at it. To beat a team as good as Richmond despite the Spiders playing better and more mistake free is quite the accomplishment.

Also, having your offensive bread and butter taken away would doom most teams.

$$$ is definitely the draw! I can’t see Sac State building new facilities without FBS considerations. Even if they stay FCS, I’m sure they would build facilities that meet FBS requirements.

But $$$ is definitely the draw…A single football game can generate more than a million dollars alone in taxes. It also boosts up the local economy, (hotels, restaurants, local businesses).

League Games against Fresno, San Jose, and Reno would sell-out. It’s also nice to have Cal and Stanford in your backyard too…All while continuing the Causeway Classic….

You would save millions on travel alone…

You’d also have the opportunity to bring big time teams to town…$$$$

It’s good for the economy, exposure for the school etc.

Honestly, it would make sense to have a league with Sac State, UC Davis, Fresno State, Reno, San Jose State, and San Diego State… $$$. Schools are all close in proximity
$$$ is definitely the draw! I can’t see Sac State building new facilities without FBS considerations. Even if they stay FCS, I’m sure they would build facilities that meet FBS requirements.

But $$$ is definitely the draw…A single football game can generate more than a million dollars alone in taxes. It also boosts up the local economy, (hotels, restaurants, local businesses).

League Games against Fresno, San Jose, and Reno would sell-out. It’s also nice to have Cal and Stanford in your backyard too…All while continuing the Causeway Classic….

You would save millions on travel alone…

You’d also have the opportunity to bring big time teams to town…$$$$

It’s good for the economy, exposure for the school etc.

Honestly, it would make sense to have a league with Sac State, UC Davis, Fresno State, Reno, San Jose State, and San Diego State… $$$. Schools are all close in proximity
With USC and UCLA departing the Pac 12, San Diego state will fill one of the vacancies, and Fresno may as well.

With USC and UCLA departing the Pac 12, San Diego state will fill one of the vacancies, and Fresno may as well.
I've been reading that the Big Ten wants Oregon and Washington. There are rumors that Cal and Stanford may join as well. As the Big 10 will need to cover that PST evening slot.

Big game for many reasons now. The next 24-48hrs might be the biggest in Sacramento prep or college football history.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415
Feels like Taylor is headed to The Farm, just another reason to root hard for the Hornets tonite. hard To see the momentum continuing in Sactown if Taylor leaves and he takes most of his staff with him. Plus, with no coaching staff,they'd be missing out on valuable transfer portal recruiting period.

Good atmosphere out here at Hornet Stadium.
Sac St with 3 Turnovers in the 1st half , and a dropped TD pass, still manage to tie the game here midway theu the 3rd Quarter
Dunniway is hurt, so its on O'Hara to win it

StingersUp!

Last edited:
Sac St blinks...4th turnover of the game.
ICW with a long return of a fumble.
Hornets drive down and score and get the 2 pt conversion

59-56 IW, 5 min to go. Sac needs a stop- something they haven't done since early 1st Q

Wtf happened to Sac St run defense ? That was the worst performance I have witnessed at any level by a run defense and defense overall, really a letdown

Sac St doesn't turnover the ball on downs or punt once, 738 yards, controls ball for 39 minutes and yet loses the game.

No defense. 4 turnovers, dropped TD pass and a dropped Interception on the last defensive series just too much to overcome.

Also, major coaching error by Taylor not using one of his two TOs with 15 seconds to go. Just a major brain fart....killed any hope they had.

Hornets felt like better team to me, but just too many errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
Sac St doesn't turnover the ball on downs or punt once, 738 yards, controls ball for 39 minutes and yet loses the game.

No defense. 4 turnovers, dropped TD pass and a dropped Interception on the last defensive series just too much to overcome.

Also, major coaching error by Taylor not using one of his two TOs with 15 seconds to go. Just a major brain fart....killed any hope they had.

Hornets felt like better team to me, but just too many errors.

They were a better team. Only the better team could have had the lead with a minute and a half remaining AFTER having committed 4 turnovers. UIW had ZERO turnovers, although the 2 successful onside kicks helped to negate the difference.

There really were so many notable plays to call out:
  • Fulcher dropping the sure TD that cost the Hornets 4 points (assuming a successful XP)
  • Dunniway throwing 2 unforced INT’s that should have been throw aways
  • Taylor not slowing the offensive pace on the drive to take the 63-59 lead thus leaving too much time
  • Gavin Davis-Smith dropping what would have been the game-clinching INT
  • Coach Taylor or QB Dunniway not calling the TO after the 1st play of their final possession
I’m sure there are several I missed, but those stand out like a sore thumb.

Asher O’Hara lost 2 fumbles as well, which hurt badly, but those are much more forgivable IMO than the INT’s by Dunniway.

The first O’Hara fumble was due to faulty pass protection and a defender hitting the ball before Asher’s arm moved forward. The second was on Asher and his typical poor ball security — but it was still somewhat forced by the defense and occurred with Asher trying to gain more yardage and not seeing the defender.

Dunniway’s INT’s, however, weren’t forced by the defense at all and were the result of him panicking and throwing the ball up for grabs — his typical M.O.

For all the good he does, Dunniway has a penchant for the untimely, unforced turnover because his decision making under even the smallest amount of duress is mostly awful.

He’s killed the Hornets the past 3 games with boneheaded throws, usually while in scoring position. IIRC by halftime of tonight’s game it was up to 7 INT’s the past 3 games. 3 last week and 2 tonight until Taylor finally wised up and went primarily with O’Hara the rest of the way.

Sac State was able to overcome Dunniway’s INT’s against Davis and Richmond but not tonight.

The Hornet defense clearly should shoulder a lot of blame, too. Yielding 66 points to ANY team is utterly ridiculous — and even more so considering the disparity in yardage and TOP in the Hornets favor.

That said, UIW came into the game averaging something like 52 ppg and fielded arguably the top QB in the FCS this season. When your offense turns the ball over 4 times — it’s not totally surprising an offense like UIW’s was able to take advantage.

Still, I recall two possessions during the game when UIW was in 3rd and 16 and 3rd and 21 and converted both, eventually scoring TD on both drives.

On the 3rd and 16, DC Andy Thompson only rushed 3 which allowed Lindsay Scott Jr to buy a ton of time and eventually find an open receiver for an easy conversion.

On the 3rd and 21, Thompson also plays lax prevent defense allowing a huge cushion and an easy underneath toss for 17 yards setting up 4th and 4 from just past midfield. UIW goes for it and then and only then does Thompson choose to pressure to force a quick throw which went for like 7 yards.

If Thompson runs that same 4th down defensive scheme on 3rd and 21 he almost assuredly forces a punt.

The lax 3rd and long defense was a trend all season long. But it really cost Sac State tonight. Just one stop among those two possessions (they should have held on both) really changes things, along with Fulcher TD drop negating 3-4 points.

Those defensive decisions, along with Dunniway’s consistent panicking and Troy Taylor’s poor time management at the end (he did the same exact thing against Montana near the end of regulation with 3 timeouts in his pocket costing the offense 13 seconds and a possible game-winning FG attempt) were the BIG head scratching moments.

They just had to be better and much smarter than that.

Having said all the above, it was still a historic and thrilling season. The greatest in Sac State history. And except for the team that eventually wins the Natty — every team‘s season ends in heartbreak.

Here’s hoping that assistant HC Kris Richardson gets the main HC gig at Sac State and that Bobby Fresques remains with the Hornets to be his OC. Surely Troy Taylor will take some of his current staff along with him to Stanford but if those two guys remain (big promotions for both) it would at least keep the current system and culture in place. Just like when TT left Folsom High for Eastern Washington.

I can realistically see Richardson opting to become a D1 HC rather than follow his friend as OL coach with the honorary title of assistant HC. And I can equally see Fresques opting to be OC at Sac State rather than QB coach at Stanford.

Most of all, I would think Taylor would be happy to have helped get his 2 friends promoted versus taking them with him in lesser job titles (even with the pay being better).

We shall see soon enough. Lots to shake out over the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Wtf happened to Sac St run defense ? That was the worst performance I have witnessed at any level by a run defense and defense overall, really a letdown

Funny thing is, they were actually pretty good to start the game and for much of the 1st half. It was the 2nd half where the wheels fell off and the big plays happened.

They were a better team. Only the better team could have had the lead with a minute and a half remaining AFTER having committed 4 turnovers. UIW had ZERO turnovers, although the 2 successful onside kicks helped to negate the difference.

There really were so many notable plays to call out:
  • Fulcher dropping the sure TD that cost the Hornets 4 points (assuming a successful XP)
  • Dunniway throwing 2 unforced INT’s that should have been throw aways
  • Taylor not slowing the offensive pace on the drive to take the 63-59 lead thus leaving too much time
  • Gavin Davis-Smith dropping what would have been the game-clinching INT
  • Coach Taylor or QB Dunniway not calling the TO after the 1st play of their final possession
I’m sure there are several I missed, but those stand out like a sore thumb.

Asher O’Hara lost 2 fumbles as well, which hurt badly, but those are much more forgivable IMO than the INT’s by Dunniway.

The first O’Hara fumble was due to faulty pass protection and a defender hitting the ball before Asher’s arm moved forward. The second was on Asher and his typical poor ball security — but it was still somewhat forced by the defense and occurred with Asher trying to gain more yardage and not seeing the defender.

Dunniway’s INT’s, however, weren’t forced by the defense at all and were the result of him panicking and throwing the ball up for grabs — his typical M.O.

For all the good he does, Dunniway has a penchant for the untimely, unforced turnover because his decision making under even the smallest amount of duress is mostly awful.

He’s killed the Hornets the past 3 games with boneheaded throws, usually while in scoring position. IIRC by halftime of tonight’s game it was up to 7 INT’s the past 3 games. 3 last week and 2 tonight until Taylor finally wised up and went primarily with O’Hara the rest of the way.

Sac State was able to overcome Dunniway’s INT’s against Davis and Richmond but not tonight.

The Hornet defense clearly should shoulder a lot of blame, too. Yielding 66 points to ANY team is utterly ridiculous — and even more so considering the disparity in yardage and TOP in the Hornets favor.

That said, UIW came into the game averaging something like 52 ppg and fielded arguably the top QB in the FCS this season. When your offense turns the ball over 4 times — it’s not totally surprising an offense like UIW’s was able to take advantage.

Still, I recall two possessions during the game when UIW was in 3rd and 16 and 3rd and 21 and converted both, eventually scoring TD on both drives.

On the 3rd and 16, DC Andy Thompson only rushed 3 which allowed Lindsay Scott Jr to buy a ton of time and eventually find an open receiver for an easy conversion.

On the 3rd and 21, Thompson also plays lax prevent defense allowing a huge cushion and an easy underneath toss for 17 yards setting up 4th and 4 from just past midfield. UIW goes for it and then and only then does Thompson choose to pressure to force a quick throw which went for like 7 yards.

If Thompson runs that same 4th down defensive scheme on 3rd and 21 he almost assuredly forces a punt.

The lax 3rd and long defense was a trend all season long. But it really cost Sac State tonight. Just one stop among those two possessions (they should have held on both) really changes things, along with Fulcher TD drop negating 3-4 points.

Those defensive decisions, along with Dunniway’s consistent panicking and Troy Taylor’s poor time management at the end (he did the same exact thing against Montana near the end of regulation with 3 timeouts in his pocket costing the offense 13 seconds and a possible game-winning FG attempt) were the BIG head scratching moments.

They just had to be better and much smarter than that.

Having said all the above, it was still a historic and thrilling season. The greatest in Sac State history. And except for the team that eventually wins the Natty — every team‘s season ends in heartbreak.

Here’s hoping that assistant HC Kris Richardson gets the main HC gig at Sac State and that Bobby Fresques remains with the Hornets to be his OC. Surely Troy Taylor will take some of his current staff along with him to Stanford but if those two guys remain (big promotions for both) it would at least keep the current system and culture in place. Just like when TT left Folsom High for Eastern Washington.

I can realistically see Richardson opting to become a D1 HC rather than follow his friend as OL coach with the honorary title of assistant HC. And I can equally see Fresques opting to be OC at Sac State rather than QB coach at Stanford.

Most of all, I would think Taylor would be happy to have helped get his 2 friends promoted versus taking them with him in lesser job titles (even with the pay being better).

We shall see soon enough. Lots to shake out over the next couple weeks.
If Richardson leaves too...Fresques wants the HC gig.

I think Taylors announcement comes no later than Monday. Maybe sooner

If Richardson leaves too...Fresques wants the HC gig.

I think Taylors announcement comes no later than Monday. Maybe sooner
Taylor leaves and Richardson will be right next to him. 750-800k for the 2nd in charge at Stanford. Those 2 are tied at hip.

Sadly this could be a a short lived run at sac state.

Taylor leaves and Richardson will be right next to him. 750-800k for the 2nd in charge at Stanford. Those 2 are tied at hip.

Sadly this could be a a short lived run at sac state.
Totally agree. Can't see Richardson staying at Sac as HC. That's life changing money, and likely a one time opportunity.

Taylor got the program turned around, but tough losing how they did last night.

That game was there for the taking...but they gave it away instead

Reactions: coachlittle
Totally agree. Can't see Richardson staying at Sac as HC. That's life changing money, and likely a one time opportunity.

Taylor got the program turned around, but tough losing how they did last night.

That game was there for the taking...but they gave it away instead
Yup.. all arrows pointing to a farm announcement soon.

It’s official Troy Taylor is headed to Stanford. Can’t blame him, I would do the same. Hoping Richardson can get promoted to HC and I think Sac State can remain a strong program. Stingers up.
Yup. No brainer really. I gotta think Richardson goes. I think the entire sac state thing gets blown up. But, let it be a lesson to AD and Admin that you can produce a winning team with a passionate fan base at sac state. Just need to find the diamond.

It’s official Troy Taylor is headed to Stanford. Can’t blame him, I would do the same. Hoping Richardson can get promoted to HC and I think Sac State can remain a strong program. Stingers up.
Doesn’t Richardson’s son play for Sac State and wouldn’t he be a Senior this year?…..

If so, I could see him leaving with Taylor…. Much bigger Money and if Taylor can get Stanford to .500 he will get a better opportunity for even bigger $$$ elsewhere and maybe Richardson wants to take the ride with him….

They are a Very good team together!….

congrats to coach ... Stingers up

Doesn’t Richardson’s son play for Sac State and wouldn’t he be a Senior this year?…..

If so, I could see him leaving with Taylor…. Much bigger Money and if Taylor can get Stanford to .500 he will get a better opportunity for even bigger $$$ elsewhere and maybe Richardson wants to take the ride with him….

They are a Very good team together!….
I just checked and it looks like his kid will be a junior next season. Must have red shirted a year. If Richardson gets promoted to HC he’ll make around $250k base pay according to mr google. Not sure how much an assistant coach would make at Stanford.

Reactions: THEOC89
I just checked and it looks like his kid will be a junior next season. Must have red shirted a year. If Richardson gets promoted to HC he’ll make around $250k base pay according to mr google. Not sure how much an assistant coach would make at Stanford.
At least at bare minimum 500k

Taylor leaves and Richardson will be right next to him. 750-800k for the 2nd in charge at Stanford.

God bless the Bob Ladouceur’s of the world that aren’t motivated by money and recognize the more important things and challenges in life. I respect the hell out of them.

$250K to be the head guy at a D1 program and live at home vs. $750K to continue to be in the shadow of a friend and have to live in the Bay area.

I’m clearly different than a lot of you cause I know I’m not choosing the latter option just because it’s higher pay. Money not only isn’t everything, it’s not even close to mostly everything.

As for Taylor, I hope he’s content with 8-4 and 7-5 seasons. Cause that’s likely going to be the best case scenario (if admissions rules are strictly followed). Harbaugh maximized what could be accomplished there (likely with relaxed admission rules) and Shaw piggybacked and rode the wave for as long as he could until the eventual decline.

With USC and UCLA leaving for the B10 — maybe there’s a chance to be better but in what type of league? What will remain of the PAC12 may not be all that much better than the Mountain West. And even then I can’t see Stanford being better than Oregon or Utah most years and probably not even Colorado once Deion Sanders gets rolling with all the athletes he’s going to draw in.

Lastly, if Taylor is going to do any serious winning at Stanford — he better learn how manage the clock much better than he did at Sac State. I think he’s a very good coach that surely changed the culture and recruiting at Sac State but his time management and late-game decision making skills need a lot of work.

That weakness showed up quite a few times the past 3 seasons. It cost the Hornets a potential game-tying FGA last night and cost them a game-winning FGA at the end of regulation against Montana earlier this season. And there were several other instances from other games during his tenure.

He’s going to be in a lot more close games in the PAC12. He needs to clean that up.

God bless the Bob Ladouceur’s of the world that aren’t motivated by money and recognize the more important things and challenges in life. I respect the hell out of them.

$250K to be the head guy at a D1 program and live at home vs. $750K to continue to be in the shadow of a friend and have to live in the Bay area.

I’m clearly different than a lot of you cause I know I’m not choosing the latter option just because it’s higher pay. Money not only isn’t everything, it’s not even close to mostly everything.

As for Taylor, I hope he’s content with 8-4 and 7-5 seasons. Cause that’s likely going to be the best case scenario (if admissions rules are strictly followed). Harbaugh maximized what could be accomplished there (likely with relaxed admission rules) and Shaw piggybacked and rode the wave for as long as he could until the eventual decline.

With USC and UCLA leaving for the B10 — maybe there’s a chance to be better but in what type of league? What will remain of the PAC12 may not be all that much better than the Mountain West. And even then I can’t see Stanford being better than Oregon or Utah most years and probably not even Colorado once Deion Sanders gets rolling with all the athletes he’s going to draw in.

Lastly, if Taylor is going to do any serious winning at Stanford — he better learn how manage the clock much better than he did at Sac State. I think he’s a very good coach that surely changed the culture and recruiting at Sac State but his time management and late-game decision making skills need a lot of work.

That weakness showed up quite a few times the past 3 seasons. It cost the Hornets a potential game-tying FGA last night and cost them a game-winning FGA at the end of regulation against Montana earlier this season. And there were several other instances from other games during his tenure.

He’s going to be in a lot more close games in the PAC12. He needs to clean that up.
1. Richardson obviously doesn’t really care about the “shadow of a friend” thing. If he did, he wouldn’t have left his role as HC at Folsom, to go back under Taylor’s shadow at Sac St, Right? Did you chastise him for that move?

2. As for money, I think Taylor has proven he’s not taking the job for the money. As for Richardson, if a new challenge presents itself, the pay is 2-3x better, and he gets to continue working with his best friend - well let’s just say I think it’s safe to say the temptation isn’t wouldn’t just be for the money’ IMHO.

3. Whose to say he‘d be offered the Sac St HC job? What sort of recruiting experience does KR have outside of these two years at Sac? A bird in the hand - (a more financially sound bird at that) - beats one in the bush in my book.

I’ll take the extra $500k to have a top tier dream home in my “home” and have a commuter pad in the Bay Area and put myself in a better financial situation for my entire family…….also ambitious coaches like him want to step up to a P5 level to see if they have it, if no one ever “left home” what a sad small minded world we would live in!

Loyalty to your “hometown “ ??? Lol garbage any team or school say F*** your loyalty if you don’t win, so stop with that small minded crap about “loyalty” to a stupid sports franchise or area, if my ancestors were loyal to their soil I wouldn’t even be in this country

This was the biggest no brainer ever. Im not motivated by money but even this would be easy for me. Who is to say sac state doesn’t drop football in near term. This is a shoe string budget commuter school for one thing. Just looking at it fiscally speaking from a risk standpoint the move makes sense. I think @MC415 pointed it out by Stanford has had plenty of top 25 recruiting classes. It’s not like they can’t attract top notch players. They will never be Bama or GA but they aren’t aspiring to be.

Honestly, this is one of the least controversial and appropriate hires based on ability, character, and merit that I can recalll.

Stanford has over 20 4 or 5 star recruits on their roster that’s more then Cal, Oregon state, washing ton state , arizona, asu, colorado they got the talent the coaching and ideas got lazy and stale…..went from a kick your face in the trenches approach to a 70% of plays being passes and front 7 on defense who got their faces kicked in wasnt because the talent level went down

IDK why these teams are in such a hurry to score and give the ball back to the opponent with too much time.

During the Sac State game … I was telling my wife I’d take a knee inside the 5 a couple times and take my chances scoring the TD on 3rd or 4th down versus scoring too quickly.

Especially so in the Sac State game because they were only down a FG and had a high percentage attempt available to them should they need it. There was no reason to hurry up the first half of that drive. They could have erased a minute of time, at least. And/or made UIW burn their last timeouts.

In fact, after re-watching the end of that game I think UIW actually allowed Marshel Martin to score so they’d have more time.
funny you say that. I was thinking something similar as the Hornets were driving. I was telling my buddies they need to stop passing and running the hurry up”. In the Hornet‘s defense, they did finally slow down and let about 35 seconds run off the clock once they got the ball down to the 2 yard line, but sadly they should have done it on the two previous downs from the UIW 12 yard line.

By the time they started considering the clock, it was too late to waste enough of it because UIW had all 3 time outs. since O’Hara was stopped on 1st down from the 2, UIW used their 1st TO. at that point, I don’t think the risk/reward is worth it to take a knee merely to waste another UIW timeout. Had they had no timeouts left, then I’d have taken a knee.

really a rough way to end the season, and a golden opportunity to host a National Semifinal vs NDSU

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT