ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State picks up a pair of 2023 standouts

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Having the track around the field sucks. They need to relocate it to the practice/soccer field to the North West. There’s already a smaller track there. Add some stands and call it a day.

My main point was the track causing more distance between fans and the field isn’t the reason the crowd noise isn’t as loud as it could be.
Yup. Sac state field is a lot like the folsom bulldog stadium. Big and almost too much real estate and just sort of meh. Not horrible but not great.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Oh, don’t get me wrong. Having the track around the field sucks. They need to relocate it to the practice/soccer field to the North West. There’s already a smaller track there. Add some stands and call it a day.

My main point was the track causing more distance between fans and the field isn’t the reason the crowd noise isn’t as loud as it could be.
And give up hosting USA Track events?

And give up hosting USA Track events?

I’m sure that ain’t happening and those events bring in more money to Sacramento than Hornets football. But selfishly yes. Please cancel. 😄

First off, I’m hearing that may not happen much anymore. IIRC it’s Portland or somewhere in Oregon that is now attracting that event with a state of the art facility?

Secondly, even if not true, I doubt that event coming to town once in a while would trump this football program being good consistently with a much better facility and higher attendance.

Just sayin.

First off, I’m hearing that may not happen much anymore. IIRC it’s Portland or somewhere in Oregon that is now attracting that event with a state of the art facility?

Secondly, even if not true, I doubt that event coming to town once in a while would trump this football program being good consistently with a much better facility and higher attendance.

Just sayin.
Yes the stadium at U of Oregon, went this year and that facility is mind blowing

Reactions: ThunderRam
Yes the stadium at U of Oregon, went this year and that facility is mind blowing

Figured it was U of O and probably connected to Nike in some way but didn’t feel like researching at the time.
Thanks for confirming.

The cost to move the track and then try to move or bring stands closer doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of financial sense, and doesn’t seem real plausible either. I think it just ‘is what it is’.

I was in the end zone area for yesterdays game, and I’m telling you, sellout or not, it’s just not loud on the field at all. And yes that’s a combination of a lot of design flaws, but still a bummer IMHO.

A couple other notes and things that CAN be done to enhance the experience:

CSUS has got to do a better job of getting people into the stadium. I heard plenty of first hand stories of people waiting 30–45 minutes to get in, massive lines at each gate, etc. it was pretty apparent as it took well into the 2nd Quarter for the place to truly fill up. add some additional gates/staffers, etc. lines to get in for 14k people were bad, you’d think with an expected 50% increase of tickets sold, they’d have tried to be more prepared. as the saying goes, “you’ve only got one chance to make a first impression”

The video board, I know they aren’t cheap, but man - the board at Hornet Stadium is pretty tiny relative to the size of the place, can we Upsize it soon? Pretty please?

Bring in some Additional food options, and spread them elsewhere in the stadium. Lines and wait time insane, and I’m referring to games from earlier this year. I don’t even want to imagine how long people waited for food yesterday.

The tailgating experience was solid yesterday, parking lot east of the stadium was pretty full of fans by late morning.

Sac better win a few rounds in the playoffs this season, it’s there to be had!

StingersUp

CSUS has got to do a better job of getting people into the stadium. I heard plenty of first hand stories of people waiting 30–45 minutes to get in, massive lines at each gate, etc. it was pretty apparent as it took well into the 2nd Quarter for the place to truly fill up.

This is true, especially when attendance gets as large as it has been.

While you are 100% correct that they need to add a couple more entrances and extra staff — I will say that a lot of people tailgate or otherwise head into the stadium as late as they can which causes the line to back up more than it should.

In my experience if you head into the stadium 30 minutes to and an hour or so early — it’s not difficult getting in at all. Waiting til closer to kick off will surely cause you an issue,

Reactions: larry legend33

While you are 100% correct that they need to add a couple more entrances and extra staff — I will say that a lot of people tailgate or otherwise head into the stadium as late as they can which causes the line to back up more than it should.

In my experience if you head into the stadium 30 minutes to and an hour or so early — it’s not difficult getting in at all. Waiting til closer to kick off will surely cause you an issue,
Exactly TR. My buddy was at Game and tailgate scene was one for the ages. (Let’s hope it stays that way). But people do tend to file in late consuming that 9th beer before kickoff. Hey it’s not a bad thing we are talking about these things. 10 years ago this thread would have died at 1 or 2 comments.

While it’s true if you arrive early enough, the lines aren’t too bad, but blaming late arriving fans for the long delays is putting the blame in the wrong place. Simply stated, they need to figure out a way to get people in quicker, and to offer more of everything (food, drinks, restrooms, etc).

As Larry insinuated, these are good problems to have, but they are also problems that are easy to anticipate, and it seems as if Sac State has failed to do so thus far.

Reactions: larry legend33
While it’s true if you arrive early enough, the lines aren’t too bad, but blaming late arriving fans for the long delays is putting the blame in the wrong place. Simply stated, they need to figure out a way to get people in quicker, and to offer more of everything (food, drinks, restrooms, etc).

As Larry insinuated, these are good problems to have, but they are also problems that are easy to anticipate, and it seems as if Sac State has failed to do so thus far.

Citing reasons why something happens doesn’t equal blame. Furthermore, I did acknowledge that they need to add more staff and more entrances. That’s clearly the biggest roadblock. But a bulk a fans heading to the entrances all at the same time clearly exasperates that problem.

As a fan that has experienced the issue before, both at HS Section/State games and at Hornets games, I’ve learned how to avoid it.

I’ve long complained about the restroom situation, as it’s ridiculous too. It’s been a problem for as long as I can remember. While not solved, this season is the first that I can recall where they made attempts to address it. It wasn’t near as bad as at had been in the past. My wife and I had no problem using the facilities and didn’t wait in a long line at any of the games we attended.

More on that topic from President Nelsen:

we have begun a campaign to add what we are calling a Broad 2.0 where the new Press Box is. The coaches chose this project as their number one project. It will cost about $50 million. Several major donors have already committed to the project. It will have a larger weight room, rooms for football (they currently have to use the Alumni Center for their team meetings), film rooms to break down games, more training facilities, and other amenities. Cal Poly just announced a similar facility last week at our joint game (the Madden Family) is paying for it. Ours will also have permanent bathrooms for the fans at the football games

Perhaps there’s some light at the end of the tunnel re: some of the fan experience. Hopefully they listen and address the entrance situation and concessions too. A lot of that is probably going to depend upon who is brought in as the new University President.

Citing reasons why something happens doesn’t equal blame. Furthermore, I did acknowledge that they need to add more staff and more entrances. That’s clearly the biggest roadblock. But a bulk a fans heading to the entrances all at the same time clearly exasperates that problem.
Relax, deep breath. It wasn't intended as a personal attack on your prior post. ;)
My point merely is that I've attended games in other stadiums where tailgating is even more prevalent, and the entrance lines weren't nearly as long. It was noticeable (I too have my ways of avoiding the lines, but thats not to say I didn't feel awful for those who missed the 1st Quarter due to the inability of Hornet Staff to get people into the stadium more efficiently).
...Perhaps there’s some light at the end of the tunnel re: some of the fan experience. Hopefully they listen and address the entrance situation and concessions too. A lot of that is probably going to depend upon who is brought in as the new University President.
Your comment about the loss of President Nelsen in spot on. President Nelsen's retirement announcement is a scary one for all of Sac State Athletics. He has long been an avid supporter and champion for all Sac St athletic teams, one can only hope his successor shares similar traits! 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: pastyfastquick3
Relax, deep breath. It wasn't intended as a personal attack on your prior post. ;)
My point merely is that I've attended games in other stadiums where tailgating is even more prevalent, and the entrance lines weren't nearly as long. It was noticeable (I too have my ways of avoiding the lines, but thats not to say I didn't feel awful for those who missed the 1st Quarter due to the inability of Hornet Staff to get people into the stadium more efficiently).

Your comment about the loss of President Nelsen in spot on. President Nelsen's retirement announcement is a scary one for all of Sac State Athletics. He has long been an avid supporter and champion for all Sac St athletic teams, one can only hope his successor shares similar traits! 🤞🤞🤞

I didn’t take it as a personal attack. And I’m breathing just fine. :)

It was clear to me that you misinterpreted my initial comments and just did so again. I was merely clarifying.

We don’t disagree at all. They need more staff and better ways to get everyone into the venue. But until that happens, entering earlier is the way to avoid the long delay.

As for the new President, there’s early speculation and hope that Steve Perez gets the gig. He was recently the interim president at San Jose State and allegedly left that post to come back to SAC. Those that know of him claim it would be great for athletics going forward at Sac State.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that all this momentum in football and now basketball doesn’t get stomped out by the new hire.

Last edited:
Sac State is about 70 years behind when it comes to their football and basketball facilities.

I wonder if their ultimate goal is to remain in the FCS or shoot for the FBS. With new facilities, I could definitely see Sac State in the Mountain West battling Reno, Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State….

Facilities and recruitment would be key. Taylor can definitely coach at that level, but recruitment would be key.

I think the move to FBS would improve Sacramento football as a whole. As local kids would get to see football played at the highest level on a week in- week out basis…

You would have huge regional games with Reno, Fresno State and San Jose State…

Reactions: M.C. fan
Maybe it is just money, but what is the draw of going from FCS to FBS? Seems to be life as one of the top FCS programs is pretty good these days

Reactions: PatCarrillo
$$$ is definitely the draw! I can’t see Sac State building new facilities without FBS considerations. Even if they stay FCS, I’m sure they would build facilities that meet FBS requirements.

But $$$ is definitely the draw…A single football game can generate more than a million dollars alone in taxes. It also boosts up the local economy, (hotels, restaurants, local businesses).

League Games against Fresno, San Jose, and Reno would sell-out. It’s also nice to have Cal and Stanford in your backyard too…All while continuing the Causeway Classic….

You would save millions on travel alone…

You’d also have the opportunity to bring big time teams to town…$$$$

It’s good for the economy, exposure for the school etc.

Honestly, it would make sense to have a league with Sac State, UC Davis, Fresno State, Reno, San Jose State, and San Diego State… $$$. Schools are all close in proximity

$$$ is definitely the draw! I can’t see Sac State building new facilities without FBS considerations. Even if they stay FCS, I’m sure they would build facilities that meet FBS requirements.

But $$$ is definitely the draw…A single football game can generate more than a million dollars alone in taxes. It also boosts up the local economy, (hotels, restaurants, local businesses).

League Games against Fresno, San Jose, and Reno would sell-out. It’s also nice to have Cal and Stanford in your backyard too…All while continuing the Causeway Classic….

Honestly, it would make sense to have a league with Sac State, UC Davis, Fresno State, Reno, San Jose State, and San Diego State… $$$. Schools are all close in proximity
All for this brother! Stingers up!

Reactions: BigMann08

Im theory this be cool but that screw up the Big West and MWC affiliations for all the other sports, I’m sure it’s super complex and SDSU is angling for the PAC-12 not this league especially when you consider their MBB

I'm curious about this. Does revenue come because you charge higher ticket prices or get more fans with a better stadium? Like if Sac State went FBS and get a stadium upgrade, would they start drawing 40K fans? How do the programs get money from taxes?

I can see TV revenue being a big plus.

The travel thing I do get. The Big Sky is tough on travel for Sacramento State.

I guess I have skepticism that San Jose State's balance sheet for football is demonstrably better than Sacramento State's. I'm fine to be wrong on it if that is the case.

I'm curious about this. Does revenue come because you charge higher ticket prices or get more fans with a better stadium? Like if Sac State went FBS and get a stadium upgrade, would they start drawing 40K fans? How do the programs get money from taxes?

I guess I have skepticism that San Jose State's balance sheet for football is demonstrably better than Sacramento State's. I'm fine to be wrong on it if that is the case.
I bet the MWC TV revenue money is millions more in itself then any TV revenue the Big Sky schools get

Great question!

A lot of it would depend on who owned the facility. If the school owned the stadium, they would likely make their money from ticket sales, merchandise, increased sponsorship, donors, concessions, tv deals, parking etc. If the City owned the stadium, then the school would make their money from the ticket sales, tv deals and merchandise but not concessions or parking.

Ticket sales, merchandise, concessions, and TV deals can be quite lucrative. (Each will bring in millions) Especially as the program grows in popularity. IMO, Sacramento is a huge untapped football market. There are 2.41 million people in the Greater Sacramento area with no football team to cheer for.

Sac State is in a great position to become a huge player in West Coast football.

Sac State is about 70 years behind when it comes to their football and basketball facilities.

I wonder if their ultimate goal is to remain in the FCS or shoot for the FBS. With new facilities, I could definitely see Sac State in the Mountain West battling Reno, Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State….

Facilities and recruitment would be key. Taylor can definitely coach at that level, but recruitment would be key.

I think the move to FBS would improve Sacramento football as a whole. As local kids would get to see football played at the highest level on a week in- week out basis…

You would have huge regional games with Reno, Fresno State and San Jose State…
Might be 100 years behind in hoops facilities. The hornets nest should be burned to the ground.

I bet the school now regrets not moving into downtown Sac when they had the chance to! They've boxed themselves in to a little corner!

Reactions: coachlittle

Agree Streak

Fresno has big attendance numbers, as does SDSU. I think Sac probably outdrew SJSU and Nevada this year, or about the same.
I will say, if a spot opened up in the MWC, I’d guess that Sac would jump at it (for all sports).

Agree Streak

Fresno has big attendance numbers, as does SDSU. I think Sac probably outdrew SJSU and Nevada this year, or about the same.
I will say, if a spot opened up in the MWC, I’d guess that Sac would jump at it (for all sports).
Not as much is written but sac state has a very solid baseball program. Between football and baseball they would compete in MWC right off the bat.

Not as much is written but sac state has a very solid baseball program. Between football and baseball they would compete in MWC right off the bat.
They are already in a better baseball league currently with all California travel besides Hawaii, it just doesn’t make sense for anything outside of football

They are already in a better baseball league currently with all California travel besides Hawaii, it just doesn’t make sense for anything outside of football
um….What are you talking about @MC415 ? Sac’s baseball team is in the WAC, with schools from all over the Western US, but only one other California school.

The MW would be a far superior option for Sac States baseball team, and likely every other sport at Sac St (Sacs soccer team participates in the very California-centric Big West for Mens Soccer. So that may be one sport that the MW wouldn’t be a better fit).

The Mountain West would be awesome, the Big West would be a good fit too (Except no Football League).

um….What are you talking about @MC415 ? Sac’s baseball team is in the WAC, with schools from all over the Western US, but only one other California school.

The MW would be a far superior option for Sac States baseball team, and likely every other sport at Sac St (Sacs soccer team participates in the very California-centric Big West for Mens Soccer. So that may be one sport that the MW wouldn’t be a better fit).

The Mountain West would be awesome, the Big West would be a good fit too (Except no Football League).
You’re right! My bad I was thinking about soccer it totally correct

Reactions: mrbig864
Here is hoping Taylor‘s “bliss” continues to be with Sacramento State. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Thanks for sharing! That was a nice article! Big game for the Hornets this weekend. Hoping that they pull off the W!

The Sacramento region is a big sports community. Troy Taylor, a native of the region, is well aware of that! Best of luck to the team this Saturday!

A key question: Does bliss have anything to do with large amounts of cold cash?
If you read the article, you'd know that thus far, Taylor's "bliss" has had nothing to do with cash.

One interesting thing that the article doesn't mention relating to the structure of Taylor's current contract at Sac St, is that its a seven-year deal that automatically renews annually. Thus, as long as Taylor stays at Sac State, he will have a continuous seven year contract in place. Meaning he's always got about a guaranteed $2M left on his contract with the Hornets.

Its not Pac 12 money, but its home - here's hoping he stays for a while.

Last edited:
I’m in shock how bad the Sac St run defense is today, bring some guys to shoot the gaps at some point make them uncomfortable…….smh

I didn’t watch game today but I saw the box score. Richmond’s ability to run and Dunniway’s 3 int’s stood out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT