ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Prep's Regional bid chances

The writer of that article, Darren Sabedra, should be ashamed of himself. He says Grant should be picked because their "MaxPreps state ranking" is higher as is their "MaxPreps strength of schedule."

Hey Darren, I have news for you: MaxPreps aint NASA. They are a small media company which publishes rankings as a novelty to get more eyeballs on their website. There is nothing wrong with that, but to cite those "rankings" as a justification for a State Bowl game selection is absurd.

The reality is that Grant won the Division TWO playoffs last night in SJS. Good for them, but because their section does not have an Open division, they never got to play Folsom. Sucks for them, but they are the 2nd place team.

SHP won the CCS Open - that makes them the #1 team in their section.

Take the top team from each section and lace 'em up.

Easy there Greek Jim. Darren writes for the home town News Rag and was the one who gave Lavorato the news about the Grant score.

I don't care who Darren writes for -- that's not good journalism to say that SHP's chances are slim b/c of Maxpreps rankings.

Maxpreps rankings are irrelevant, as they should be. He could report on who will make the decision (section commissioners) and the criteria being used (which are listed on the CIF website). Instead he acts like it's a foregone conclusion bc of Maxpreps rankings -- it's lazy journalism.

The purpose of having Norcal games is to match up top teams from each section -- having Folsom play Grant does not fit that purpose. If the SJS couldn't figure out which one of them was better on the field, then they should have to pick one of them.

The undefeated CCS Open champion will gladly face either of them.

We will say it one more time: All of the NorCal officials at Sunday's meeting are well aware that CCS' use of the Open Division is self-defeating. They understand the situation. They know that, unless SHP is awarded a berth in the NorCal Division I finale it will make a mockery of the process. SHP, by all rights (and to the benefit of NorCal boosters, by the way) should be in the Division III NorCal final. But CCS forces them to duke it out with the big boys and, holy crap, they wind up beating all of them in the bargain. And that means they can't be placed in Division III by rule. The NorCal poobahs really have little choice now. CCS, which embraces at least 155 schools overall, has tried to shoot itself in the foot year after year. Annually, they risk being shut out of the entire NorCal process because of their Open Division fetish. Now tiny SHP has risen to the top of the pile and people are flummoxed. It would be a bogus application of the process if they are somehow denied that regional berth. What else can they do to comply with the moronic whims of CCS authorities? The betting is that they indeed will be awarded that Division I slot as the lone CCS rep in the entire tournament.

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
We will say it one more time: All of the NorCal officials at Sunday's meeting are well aware that CCS' use of the Open Division is self-defeating. They understand the situation. They know that, unless SHP is awarded a berth in the NorCal Division I finale it will make a mockery of the process. SHP, by all rights (and to the benefit of NorCal boosters, by the way) should be in the Division III NorCal final. But CCS forces them to duke it out with the big boys and, holy crap, they wind up beating all of them in the bargain. And that means they can't be placed in Division III by rule. The NorCal poobahs really have little choice now. CCS, which embraces at least 155 schools overall, has tried to shoot itself in the foot year after year. Annually, they risk being shut out of the entire NorCal process because of their Open Division fetish. Now tiny SHP has risen to the top of the pile and people are flummoxed. It would be a bogus application of the process if they are somehow denied that regional berth. What else can they do to comply with the moronic whims of CCS authorities? The betting is that they indeed will be awarded that Division I slot as the lone CCS rep in the entire tournament.
Well stated. Now hopefully Nancy Lazenby Blaser can stop worrying about penalizing Serra with this consolation game nonsense and do her job and bring it on home.

Just throwing this out there...
Lets say the committee does pick well-deserving SHP for the Play-in game. Is that even right to do that to them? SHP's enrollment is around 300 and Folsom's is around 2800 and if they happen to win that game they would play a team like Centennial who has an enrollment of over 3000. What are we doing here? Palma would have been in the same situation. So 2 of the 8 teams in the Open were true Division 4 teams. SHP is the best D-4 team in NorCal and should be playing at their enrollment. VERY VERY bad planning

The Bellarmine team SHP played has 1640 boys (CBED of over 3200). Pretty much a similar comparison of enrollment (Bells even a little bigger difference) than Folsom. Of course, Folsom is a better team this year.

Originally posted by JimRocky:
Just throwing this out there...
Lets say the committee does pick well-deserving SHP for the Play-in game. Is that even right to do that to them? SHP's enrollment is around 300 and Folsom's is around 2800 and if they happen to win that game they would play a team like Centennial who has an enrollment of over 3000. What are we doing here? Palma would have been in the same situation. So 2 of the 8 teams in the Open were true Division 4 teams. SHP is the best D-4 team in NorCal and should be playing at their enrollment. VERY VERY bad planning
FALSE: Folsom's official enrollment this year is 2062, the largest it has been since 2006 when the 2nd HS in Folsom opened. Most years it is on the bubble between D1&D2 based on enrollment and has only played in D1 the last 3 years. Of course, because of CA's overall phucked up system, D# doesn't equate to any given attendance anywhere in the state.

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
I was with you until the end. CCS has indeed created this mess of their own doing. And poor SHP can only play the playoff they are forced to by their section. But why should a Grant team who is also undefeated, and by all accounts played at least a slightly better schedule, be slighted simply to keep SHP from getting screwed?

if you took the names Grant and SHP away, and viewed the accomplishments of these two schools side by side, as Team A and Team B, Grant gets it.

In my opinion, If SHP gets the nod solely because they are CCS lone rep (which I agree they could), that in itself would be "a bogus application of the process"

This post was edited on 12/7 8:15 AM by mrbig864

Darren and the others were correct. SHP out. Grant in. CCS shut out entirely throughout the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT