ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Joseph of Santa Maria Comes North to DV

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Brought my keyboard, really not expecting to be able to use it due to shaky phone/wifi down here in the San Ramon hills…. and the strong possibility I’ll be forced to stand up the whole game…

Thing 1 is good so far, the signal is holding up…. We’ll hafta see what happens when 1500 cellphones are searching for signal at same time later on…

Thing 2, dunno for sure yet.

Anyyyyyyywaaayyyyyyyyyy…

SJ comes in with a 26-6 record while facing a schedule rated 14.2, mostly due to the weak league they played in… But otherwise they have played some excellent teams, for example losing by just 1 to Modesto Christian.

DV comes in at 27.3 vs. a 20.3 schedule, two of the losses being close ones to SoCal powerhouses, and one to always-tough Monte Vista.

I’m sure everyone that bothers with this little corner of the Internet knows the DV stars, the speedball guards Beasley and Sevilla…

And probably as many know of the super-stud soph Tounde Yessoufou…

Anyway, 33 minutes til tip.

btw, when I got here at 5:50 the doors weren’t open yet, but there were at least couple hundred people waiting, with their GoFan apps up and ready to go…. I can only imagine the mob scene there would have been if they sold tix at the door the old-fashioned way…. Yipe!

Bang, #1 of SJ nails a 3…. He’s a fresh-man…..

Next play, Ryan Beasley goes down in a heap after scoring a bucket…. has an FT coming, he’s gonnna shake it off and wanted to take the shot, but the coaches came out, so he has to sit a bit…. His sub, #34 takes it and makes it. 3-3.

SJ #1 hits another 3…. 6-3…

Yessoufou with a steal, nails a 3…. 9-3 SJ.

Next time down, he hits a putback…. 11-3.

SJ came to PLAY!

#1 again, freshman for SJ, hits after a rebound…. 13-3.

Lemme look and get his name…

Julius Price.

SJ rebounds a Beasley miss, fast break, score…. finally a DV 3. 15-6.

Beasley didn’t stay out for more than a couple plays.

GREAT pass, Tounde rebound, long pass to Will Kuykendall for a layup…. 17-6.

Beasley fouled on the way up…. FT’s split. 17-7.

Great inside move by a SJ player, didn’t see who…. then a rebound, pass to Price, 3-ball nuthin but net…. 22-7. DV calls 2nd time out trying to stem the tide.

2:56 left 1st.

SJ breaks the DV press, alley opp to Tounde…. HE knows what to do…

Another stop, a 3 by Price…. 27-7, what an ambush!

Tounde fouled shooting on a baseline inbounds lob…. FT’s good. 29-7.

Beasley nails a stepback 3…. 29-10.

Great pass inside to DV #44…. 29-12.

Beasley rebounds a miss, tries to drive fullcourt, pushes off…. offensive foul.

Tounde foul, his 1st…

Now Beasley fouled shooting, FT’s good…. 29-14.

Kuykendall hits a 3 from the mid-paint area at the buzzer…. 31-14 after one crazy quarter.

Reactions: larry legend33
Nice pass to Tounde, lays it in…. 33-14.

fantastic pass, Kuykendall to Caedin Hamilton, all 6’9” of him, 35-14…. and the big dude swats away a shot at the other end…. DV still has it, 6:45 left.

DV nice inbounds play, and then a STEAL AND DUNK by Blake Hudson of DV…. 35-18. I think he was also the scorer on the inbounds play…

but Hamilton scores inside…. 37-18.

Hamilton just got his 3rd foul…. Sevilla hits a J… and a backcourt on SJ….

Beasley fouled on the way up…. FT’s good…. 37-22.

DV tries a zone…. but SJ gets Tounde inside, he’s fouled.. FT’s clanked….

Fantastic pass to a high-flying Beasley for a layup…. 37-24.

Three tries underneath by SJ result in a foul…. Slayde Lowe hits 2 for SJ. 39-24, 3:49 left.

Sevilla scores on a runout…. 39-26.

Hudson fouled trying a putback.. FT’s split. 41-27.

Tounde takes and makes a 3…. 44-27, time out with 2:35 left.

Bingo! #33 nails a 3 for DV…. 44-30.

Sevilla nails a 3 now! 44-33.

Not dead, can’t quit…. Price folued, 1 and 1 for SJ.

Makes front end, not the bonus. 45-33.

Moving screen on DV…. SJ ball.

Tounde with a high-flying rebound and putnack…

then rebounds on the other end…. 47-33.

And his bounce on display there as he puts one back in on the 3rd try…. 49-33.

Beasley fouled, FT’s good. 49-35, 8 seconds…

Offensive foul on a pass to the corner, DV ball with 1.7 left. DV unable to get a shot off…. 49-35 SJ at the half.

GIven DV’s rep for comebacks, I wouldn’t rest easy if I were St Joseph…. Just ask SRV!

2nd half…

Delay, an older gent fell or maybe collapsed in the corner. off the court, but they gotta make sure he’s okay and safe from potential action. Police are there. Might be calling medics, dunno.

Man is on his feet now, so I assume players will be back quickly. and they are…

Beasley driving try, nope…

Hamilton, back in with three fouls, figures immediately.. rebound, score…. FT. 52-35.

Sevilla backdoor score past Hamilton.. 52-37.

Price with a midrange from the baseline…

Sevilla hits a 3! 54-40.

Hudson with a driving score…. bigtime DUNK after a steal by Tounde…. 56=42.

Sevilla gets in the paint and scores..

Beasley STEAL!!! Drives, scores….56-46…

Fan getting removed…. Game delayed til he actually vacates the premises. 5:05 left, strating back up now…

Beasley steal, drive, fouled on the way up…. Kuykendall not happy. FT’s good…. 56-48.

Kuykendall loses it over the baseline…. DV ball, down 8.

Tounde rebound, but he throws a long pass away…

Beasley with a nifty shake and bake, scores…. 56-50.

Hudson blocks a shot, is fouled…. The place is rockin’ now…. still 56-50.

3:11 left 3rd.

Sevilla hits a corner 3! 56-53.

Time out, Saint Joseph!

2:55 left 3rd..

Tounde with a flying turnaround…. 58-53.

SJ with another score, didn’t see who…. 60-53.

Beasley wiggles thru, scores…. 60-55. Kid is amazing!

Price nails a corner 3…. Did I say he’s a freshman?? 63-55.

Beasley 3, nope…

Tounde loses handle, gets it back,pass to Hamilton, score…. 65-55.

Tounde foul, only his 2nd…. Beasley at the line. Both good, 65-57.

And that;s the end of 3….

DV gets a stop to start things…

Sevilla slips on. wet spot, out over the baseline…

Price nails yet another 3…. 68-57 SJ.

Beasley gets thru and scores…. 68-59.

Beasley steal, goes to Sevilla, makes a great pass to a teammate who scores….

Tounde plays bullyball, gets fouled…. FT’s split. 69-61.

BRILLIANT D by DV #33, takes a charge on a fast-break try by SJ…

Beasley try goes awry…

Nice pass, Tounde to Hamilton…. 71-61, but Sevilla drives, scores, fouled! FT is good. 71-64.

Great pass, Kuykendall to Hamilton…. 73-64.

Sevilla 3 ball, nope…

DV gets a stop, Beasley gets an offensice board, fouled on the putback try…. FT’s good. 73-66.

3:10 left…

Hudson fouls out for DV, as Tounde flew past…

Front end missed.. DV rebound, pass to Beasley, scores…. 73-68.

Time out with 2:57 left…. SJ ball.

Tounde just being Tounde, scores inside…. 75-68.

Beasley answers with 2…. 75-70. 2:14 left.

Hamilton with a post move, scores, 77-70 SJ.

Another fan getting tossed, but time was out anyway, no delay…

2:04 left. DV ball, their own end…. ANOTHER fan getting the heave-ho…

Beasley 2 tries, nope…

Price fouled, front end clanked! DV rebound, Sevilla fouled on a driving try, Front end good, bonus also. 77-72.

Tounde gets the ball on the post, spins, fouled by Beasley.. Front end good, bonus also…. 79-72.

bad communication, Sevilla throws it away…

SJ works the clock a bit, Price fouled…. double bonus. splits ‘em.

Beasley drives, fouled by Hamilton, his 4th.. FT’s good…. 80-74…. Hack n hope time…. Luis Marin FT’s split… but Tounde flies thru and grabs the ball and puts it in! 85-74. 37. 4 seconds left. SJ will move on….

Price goes all CUrly Neal with t, finally fouled…. FT’s good. 87-74.

They stand back and let Beasley score, final 87-76…. Quite a game!

Price goes all CUrly Neal with t, finally fouled…. FT’s good. 87-74.

They stand back and let Beasley score, final 87-76…. Quite a game!
@kiddman32 , did the start bury them too much? Sounds like they were just always playing catch-up. Fun team and Beasley will be nice to watch as a Don

Yeah, the hot start by SJ was too much to come back from, though DV definitely threatened 'em... Just feel short this time.

re: the fans ejections... All three were across the way, and therefore I can only guess that they were being abusive. All three tossouts were at the refs' requests, a couple causing slight delays because they were apparently reluctant/slow to leave.

Reactions: larry legend33
Santa Maria, if you draw a line half way horizontally through CA is CLEARLY on the bottom half of that line, is a Nor Cal school? This is ALMOST just as egregious as the years the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West or when the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West.

Santa Maria, if you draw a line half way horizontally through CA is CLEARLY on the bottom half of that line, is a Nor Cal school? This is ALMOST just as egregious as the years the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West or when the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints were in the NFC West.
My wife family is there and they went to ST Joes and they never ever ever ever once in their life have ever thought of themselves as Nor Cal for a split second

Reactions: observer22
My wife family is there and they went to ST Joes and they never ever ever ever once in their life have ever thought of themselves as Nor Cal for a split second
It is in Northern Santa Barbara County!! lol

Remember when Clovis West played DLS for state champ before open. Clovis was in scal !! Frezzzzzzzzno is not SoCal.

because the south has far more teams they have to send the central section to both north and south.

obviously the north is an easier path so they dont mind at all.

Yeah, the hot start by SJ was too much to come back from, though DV definitely threatened 'em... Just feel short this time.

re: the fans ejections... All three were across the way, and therefore I can only guess that they were being abusive. All three tossouts were at the refs' requests, a couple causing slight delays because they were apparently reluctant/slow to leave.
No one was being abusive. It was an overly sensative ref on a power trip. He kicked out Beasley’s parents for telling him the video will show that he missed a call. That was it. I thought the officiating was bad in general but the ref decided to make it about him by not allowing even mild banter. It was a clear overreaction.

Tell Beasley’s parents to get a stripped shirt and whistle and ref next year since they are so good at making calls. I don’t recall the CIF statement at the beginning regarding sportsmanship saying mild banter was ok. I thought it said respect officials.

So tired of people saying refs are over reacting. They put themselves out there for little money and have to listen to moronic fans yell the entire game which Dougherty fans did. Each school should provide refs for games from their pool of such knowledgeable parents/fans. I’m sure no one will yell at them.

St. Joes girl’s soccer team played in SoCal playoffs so their parents were just as confused as why basketball was in the NorCal.

No one was being abusive. It was an overly sensative ref on a power trip. He kicked out Beasley’s parents for telling him the video will show that he missed a call. That was it. I thought the officiating was bad in general but the ref decided to make it about him by not allowing even mild banter. It was a clear overreaction.
this is why that video above happens. the cif makes it clear that you are not to speak to an official.
he wont be able to do that at a ncaa ref next year either.

Tell Beasley’s parents to get a stripped shirt and whistle and ref next year since they are so good at making calls. I don’t recall the CIF statement at the beginning regarding sportsmanship saying mild banter was ok. I thought it said respect officials.

So tired of people saying refs are over reacting. They put themselves out there for little money and have to listen to moronic fans yell the entire game which Dougherty fans did. Each school should provide refs for games from their pool of such knowledgeable parents/fans. I’m sure no one will yell at them.

St. Joes girl’s soccer team played in SoCal playoffs so their parents were just as confused as why basketball was in the NorCal.
these parents starting watching the warriors 10 years ago and now they are experts on all things basketball.
the fans who yell.... LET THEM PLAAAAAAYYYYYYYY when you call fouls.
then yell... SOMEBODY IS GOING TO GET HURRRRTTTTT when you let them play and not call fouls.
those are the worst.

Someone explain to me how San Jose schools is in the CCS and St. Joe's is in the NCS? Not taking anything away from this St. Joe's squad. DV got ambushed for sure! I saw that matchup and said lookout! In my opinion DV parents are the best in EBAL. They happened to have a great team this year, but have been riddled with losing seasons forever in multiple sports. They have handled this years basketball success in a real classy manor overall! A bigger question for DV is what happens now to that program now that Beasley and Sevilla are gone? Someone sign Sevilla too! That kid can flat out play!

St. Joes is in the Central section, not NCS. Of course, the other St. Joe's in Alameda is in NCS and always plays in NorCal when they qualify.

The Central section is sorta on the border of NorCal/SoCal, so their playoff teams can be placed in either half of the brackets.

Someone explain to me how San Jose schools is in the CCS and St. Joe's is in the NCS? Not taking anything away from this St. Joe's squad. DV got ambushed for sure! I saw that matchup and said lookout! In my opinion DV parents are the best in EBAL. They happened to have a great team this year, but have been riddled with losing seasons forever in multiple sports. They have handled this years basketball success in a real classy manor overall! A bigger question for DV is what happens now to that program now that Beasley and Sevilla are gone? Someone sign Sevilla too! That kid can flat out play!
the central section schools go north or south. due to the amount of teams in the south they have to send some north to make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT