ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday State Bowls Scores

Coach was embarrassed and lashed out. Shafter dwarfed little Orland in the trenches and has more than twice the enrollment. The shame is he didn’t take the opportunity to congratulate his opponent and show some respect. There’s no room for entitlement on the gridiron.
Agree. Id love to see him show some humility in that moment. Especially being a role model to the players and being a representing of his community. Its always tough to lose, and we know it sucks. But it does build character. Im sure the pain will last a long time for all those seniors.

The field did look horrible but in todays world I tell my students all the time how spoiled they are to play football in this area. In the 90's when I played HS ball, starting in late October and November, this is how all the field looked in between the hashes.

Also, Serra’s Top LB started at DLS last year…. The kid lives in San Mateo so no one will convince me that the kid was commuting from San Mateo to Concord every day…. He had to be staying with someone near the school….

I am fine with this by the way, I think kids should be able to play wherever they want…
Agreed. Their qb is from sacramento as well. Started at Folsom, transferred to Inderkum and then to Serra. No clue where he lives but wouldn’t shock me if he also comes back to sac on weekends… bottom line, who cares?!

Reactions: ararar
This is what I would do if I was the CIF…..

I would Create a 4 Team Open Playoff that is just like what the CFB does currently…. I would take the 4 Highest Ranked teams at the end of the Regular season and have them play…. Put the games at cool venues, and whoever wins would be allowed to go play in the ESPN Gieco Bowls for the National Championship even if they have to play IMG…..

The rest of of the teams would play in the current system and format with the sections, regionals and SBG’s…. The current system works at every level except The Open so The Open needs to change….

This would be best for The Student Athletes, Schools and Fans….

Just make me CIF commissioner and I got this…. 🤣🤣
This is a great idea and would solve the anti climatic open SBG dilema. It would also substitute a wipe out playoff game for a National level opponent which the Top Calif team should be playing anyway.

Reactions: THEOC89
My thoughts exactly.

IDK why these teams are in such a hurry to score and give the ball back to the opponent with too much time.

During both the Sac State game and this GHS game I was telling my wife I’d take a knee inside the 5 a couple times and take my chances scoring the TD on 3rd or 4th down versus scoring too quickly.

Especially so in the Sac State game because they were only down a FG and had a high percentage attempt available to them should they need it. There was no reason to hurry up the first half of that drive. They could have erased a minute of time, at least. And/or made UIW burn their last timeouts.

In fact, after re-watching the end of that game I think UIW actually allowed Marshel Martin to score so they’d have more time.

Same goes for GHS tonight. They scored too quickly. Luckily San Jacinto kicked it short and they got that huge return to set up the game winner.
Thunder, I did not get to see the Sac State game so no comment on that. Regarding the Grant game tho, man was it fun!

I would agree, clock management would have been ideal but both teams did not establish enough momentum on Offense to dictate slowing the game down and then turn it on when needed.

Last nights game was dictated by individual effort, hustle, and outstanding big plays. I haven't watched the replay so I don't know how the game translated to viewers on film but in person, both teams had athletes that showed up and made some huge plays, especially in the 2nd half.

This is what I would do if I was the CIF…..

I would Create a 4 Team Open Playoff that is just like what the CFB does currently…. I would take the 4 Highest Ranked teams at the end of the Regular season and have them play…. Put the games at cool venues, and whoever wins would be allowed to go play in the ESPN Gieco Bowls for the National Championship even if they have to play IMG…..

The rest of of the teams would play in the current system and format with the sections, regionals and SBG’s…. The current system works at every level except The Open so The Open needs to change….

This would be best for The Student Athletes, Schools and Fans….

Just make me CIF commissioner and I got this…. 🤣🤣

Or, you know, the sorry CIF could strictly enforce transfer rules across the board in CA and not allow total anarchy and lawlessness to rule the amateur HS landscape.

That’s always an “option”. SMH.

I remember Cole Hannum losing his entire senior season for allegedly following a coach from Marysville HS to Nevada Union meanwhile down in SoCal a couple players transfer from Redlands HS to Mater Dei then transfer back once the football season was over.

Legislate this crap equally across the board and put an end to this all-star team nonsense.

Reactions: Streak One
Agreed. Their qb is from sacramento as well. Started at Folsom, transferred to Inderkum and then to Serra. No clue where he lives but wouldn’t shock me if he also comes back to sac on weekends… bottom line, who cares?!
Yes, Serra's QB family lives in SAC and he lives with a host family near Serra. They have multiple other situations going on similar to this. Serra has completely adopted the SJB/MD model, they are just several years behind. Let's all not be naive and think all of a sudden a massive influx of talent showed up in San Mateo.

Reactions: RedZone90
Or, you know, the sorry CIF could strictly enforce transfer rules across the board in CA and not allow total anarchy and lawlessness to rule the amateur HS landscape.

I remember Cole Hannum losing his entire senior season for allegedly following a coach from Marysville HS to Nevada Union meanwhile down in SoCal a couple players transfer from Redlands HS to Mater Dei then transfer back once the football season was over.

Legislate this crap equally across the board and put an end to this all-star team nonsense.
Southern Section tried to legislate…they lost in court.CIF wouldn’t fair any better.Change with the times or die on the vine.

Reactions: Truthhertz
The difference is DLS Lost the First SBG they ever played in…. They also Lost in D1 to Cen 10…. Sure DLS won 4 Open games in a row, but The last Open that DLS won was a 28-21 win over Cen10 that could have gone either way….

Also when DLS beat Servite 40-8, most people believed, including me, that Servite was the more talented team and could beat DLS and was possibly even the favorite to win that game….

That is not the case now…. The open is a pre determined Blow out at this point…. I agree with your take that it shouldn’t be North vs South but only for the Open…. The rest of the games work just fine and are competitive every year….
DLS was the better team but the 40-8 score was mainly a result of the field conditions. #mudball passing

• Haha

Another option is to allow Private schools to do what MD and SJB are doing and have them compete in a separate Open Regional playoffs.

There seems to be pretty good parity between Public schools across the board. Let the public schools continue as they are.

Another option is to allow Private schools to do what MD and SJB are doing and have them compete in a separate Open Regional playoffs.

There seems to be pretty good parity between Public schools across the board. Let the public schools continue as they are.
I think it’s time for the separation of church and state lol.At this point it would be better for all involved.CIF could actually have a real state playoff by separating At this time

I think it’s time for the separation of church and state lol.At this point it would be better for all involved.CIF could actually have a real state playoff by separating At this time
Yeah I think so too! Lol

The Privates love beating up on the public’s but don’t like competing with one another.

following a coach from Marysville HS to Nevada Union meanwhile down in SoCal a couple players transfer from Redlands HS to Mater Dei then transfer back once the football season was over.

Those players didn’t follow a coach.

Why? Are HS athletics suddenly not amateur status anymore and mercenary tactics are to be championed?

How about having some structure and rules that apply to all?

When these kids turn 18 and move on from HS then they can turn into mercenaries.

Also, Serra’s Top LB started at DLS last year…. The kid lives in San Mateo so no one will convince me that the kid was commuting from San Mateo to Concord every day…. He had to be staying with someone near the school….

I am fine with this by the way, I think kids should be able to play wherever they want…

San Mateo or San Mateo County?

Because I say “Good morning, Neighbor” to Marley’s Father every weekday morning as I warm my car up for work…so if anyone would know where exactly he lives, it is me.

San Mateo or San Mateo County?

Because I say “Good morning, Neighbor” to Marley’s Father every weekday morning as I warm my car up for work…so if anyone would know where exactly he lives, it is me.
So then you would know if they drove to Concord everyday or not…. My Apologies if my assumption was wrong…. 🍻

Why? Are HS athletics suddenly not amateur status anymore and mercenary tactics are to be championed?

How about having some structure and rules that apply to all?

When these kids turn 18 and move on from HS then they can turn into mercenaries.
Private and public schools have completely different rules and admission standards. Both are amateur but the CIF governs these institutions differently.

It’s impossible for for the structures and rules to apply to all when the institutions are different.

DLS, SJB, MD, and Serra all know the loopholes. Those who have experience with private schools know they play by a different set of rules.

Private and public schools have completely different rules and admission standards. Both are amateur but the CIF governs these institutions differently.

They’re not! They’re governed by the Archdiocese! I’ve been saying this for years.

Are they literally? No. But the last time the CIF tried to come down on a private (happened to be Mater Dei) the Archdiocese of Orange threw a ton of money at the lawsuit, flexed their Catholic Church money and the Southern section backed off. Yes, there is money in high school athletics. Does the CIF have more money than the Catholic Church? Not even close.

So then you would know if they drove to Concord everyday or not…. My Apologies if my assumption was wrong…. 🍻

They commuted to Concord just as they commute to San Mateo. To be honest, the drive to De La Salle is not much father than it is to Serra.

I’ll say this too: Walsh and Alumbaugh are both cheap knockoffs of Bob Ladocoeur.

The most distinct difference was that Bob was about the betterment of young men. Both Walsh and Alumbaugh are completely about themselves.

It’s impossible for for the structures and rules to apply to all when the institutions are different.

DLS, SJB, MD, and Serra all know the loopholes. Those who have experience with private schools know they play by a different set of rules.
This is were the rub comes in. According to the CIF, the right to play is a PRIVILEGE and NOT a right.

If the CIF truly wanted to change, this would be the standard.

I maintain any kid can go to any school they want to. Again you are NOT given the right to play there.
You want to play sports, you go to the school in your district

I used to wish Colleges would have a limit for how many out of state players were allowed.
Yea, I'm a Dinosaur

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: PatCarrillo
This is were the rub comes in. According to the CIF, the right to play is a PRIVILEGE and NOT a right.

If the CIF truly wanted to change, this would be the standard.

I maintain any kid can go to any school they want to. Again you are NOT given the right to play there.
You want to play sports, you go to the school in your district

I used to wish Colleges would have a limit for how many out of state players were allowed.
Yea, I'm a Dinosaur

Here's wishing you great football
Yeah I’m glad that we don’t live in that world! Cheers!

Agree. Id love to see him show some humility in that moment. Especially being a role model to the players and being a representing of his community. Its always tough to lose, and we know it sucks. But it does build character. Im sure the pain will last a long time for all those seniors.

The field did look horrible but in todays world I tell my students all the time how spoiled they are to play football in this area. In the 90's when I played HS ball, starting in late October and November, this is how all the field looked in between the hashes.
I played on a field like that as well at times. Actually was fun.

You can see the players sliding around having a great time celebrating in the mud in the background of his rant. Both teams played in the same conditions. Just a bad look by the coach.
I think the message is right for the most part. Just poor timing and poor messenger (losing coach). State awards all these state titles ($$$) but don’t provide the same level of experience for each division.

Reactions: observer22
Why? He never blamed the conditions on his teams loss.He basically said it was a travesty that the upper divisions got good fields while the lower divisions didn’t
Because instead of his team being remembered for winning the SoCal playoff and making a state bowl game, everyone just sees him there whining. Even though he’s right that the conditions were bad, they were bad for both teams and whining is never a good look.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Because instead of his team being remembered for winning the SoCal playoff and making a state bowl game, everyone just sees him there whining. Even though he’s right that the conditions were bad, they were bad for both teams and whining is never a good look.
You’re completely missing his point.He actually said it was unfair for both teams to have to play a championship game on that field while the upper divisions get beautiful turf fields.That’s his only point why don’t the lower divisions get the full experience that the upper divisions get.
That’s a valid question.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
The upper divisions moved to turf soon after the 2010 Monsoon/Mudbowl at Home Depot center. Just because both teams had to play in it doesn't mean that both teams were affected equally. Don't worry I am not holding my breath expecting you to understand.

• Haha
The upper divisions moved to turf soon after the 2010 Monsoon/Mudbowl at Home Depot center. Just because both teams had to play in it doesn't mean that both teams were affected equally. Don't worry I am not holding my breath expecting you to understand.
I totally understand where you 2 SoCal guys are coming from trying to justify the whining, but the fact remains it’s a bad look. If he let the winning coach state that, then it wouldn’t be perceived as whining.

DLS was the better team but the 40-8 score was mainly a result of the field conditions. #mudball passing
Come on Sammy that was 12 years ago. Isn't it time to move on lol. While it might have been a closer score on good field conditions, it's a long shot to say the outcome of the game would be reversed. This was beat to death back in 2010.

On another note, glad to see your still active on the site. I haven't been around much since moving out of state in 2020, but still have a soft spot for cali football so thought I'd see how the games went.

I see SJB and MD are still all star status lol

Come on Sammy that was 12 years ago. Isn't it time to move on lol. While it might have been a closer score on good field conditions, it's a long shot to say the outcome of the game would be reversed. This was beat to death back in 2010.

On another note, glad to see your still active on the site. I haven't been around much since moving out of state in 2020, but still have a soft spot for cali football so thought I'd see how the games went.

I see SJB and MD are still all star status lol
I only come on this site occasionally, to provide diversity, and just to keep things from getting out of hand.

Prior to 2010 the CIFSS D-1 cared alot more about winning the CIFSS than the SBG which was considered akin to the "hula bowl". A bonus game to have fun with.

In 2010 Servite was all in to beat DLS, but DLS was better. If that game was played on turf the score would have been more like 35 - 21.

The CIF owes it to the teams to do everything possible to play the games on a turf field especially since mid December is more prone to rain games especially up north. Tom Brady would be as less effective than DLS soph Qb in that mud game the coach was complaining about in the video clip.

Reactions: RedZone90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT