ADVERTISEMENT

Serra-St. Ignatius

In all fairness, the Serra student section is not exactly a collection of devout choir boys and genteel debate society types. As a group, these guys can ladle out insults with the best of them. The late Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles would have been proud. On occasion, they have been known to go a bit too far. Hence the ever-present administrators who try to control the papal horde. It's a thankless job. By the way, some of the contracted security folks at the Wednesday festivities looked like recent participants at a Niner minicamp. Messing with them would be unwise. But even they struggled to handle the mob scene at the close of that chaotic contest.

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, the Serra student section has a strong challenger in the questionable all-male behavior department down in Anaheim. Have you checked out "The Asylum" at Servite? Good heavens. Hide the women and children. Those young men got so worked up several years ago, they actually collapsed part of the bleachers. Whew. Time for another fund-raiser.

Reactions: jordan24
The "SI Rejects" cheer was completely inappropriate absolutely and the Serra kids action wasn't a simple gesture. The kid grabbed his crotch continuously for some time in front of the SI team, coaching staff, cheering section and families taking time to point with his other hand to everyone as he did it. The problem doing these types of things in today's day and age: someone always has their cell phone video rolling.

Reactions: ayalar09
The "SI Rejects" cheer was completely inappropriate absolutely and the Serra kids action wasn't a simple gesture. The kid grabbed his crotch continuously for some time in front of the SI team, coaching staff, cheering section and families taking time to point with his other hand to everyone as he did it. The problem doing these types of things in today's day and age: someone always has their cell phone video rolling.
Was there a Michael Jackson video playing or a Marshawn Lynch/Marcus Peter's touchdown celebration on?

The most disappointing aspect of the whole scene is that these are supposed to be Catholic religious schools. It should be embarrassing to both schools. They spend a fair bit of time in theology and ethics classes, maybe it’s not worth it. These scenes are played out across gyms in WCAL and out. They see it on TV and highlight videos, and it becomes routine.

Take your loss and move on or how about a round of We Are SI !! These kids and parents need some retraining.

Oh and get off my lawn..

The most disappointing aspect of the whole scene is that these are supposed to be Catholic religious schools. It should be embarrassing to both schools. They spend a fair bit of time in theology and ethics classes, maybe it’s not worth it. These scenes are played out across gyms in WCAL and out. They see it on TV and highlight videos, and it becomes routine.

Take your loss and move on or how about a round of We Are SI !! These kids and parents need some retraining.

Oh and get off my lawn..

Where is Clint Eastwood when we need him?

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
Let’s all remember they are young. They are high school students and they make mistakes.

I agree it was classless on both ends. But the focus of this OT went from a 20 pt comeback to bickering back and forth about rushing the court.

I’ll repeat there is pretty much no regular season high school game worth rushing the court for.

In all fairness, the Serra student section is not exactly a collection of devout choir boys and genteel debate society types. As a group, these guys can ladle out insults with the best of them. The late Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles would have been proud. On occasion, they have been known to go a bit too far. Hence the ever-present administrators who try to control the papal horde. It's a thankless job. By the way, some of the contracted security folks at the Wednesday festivities looked like recent participants at a Niner minicamp. Messing with them would be unwise. But even they struggled to handle the mob scene at the close of that chaotic contest.

When I grew up in Brooklyn, the biggest baddest F**k ups in our neighborhood, went to Catholic school. I have always been amazed at some of the guys I grew up with, and the things they would do.:)

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: jordan24
Earlier today I watched three videos of the Serra players and fans post game actions. At least one of the players should be suspended for many games. Does anyone know what punishment was meted out? This has to be a great embarrassment to the school.

Question for anybody in the know, how many Serra players won't be able to play tonight due to suspension? That could seriously impact their ability to win this important game.

I’ve never heard of a high school releasing disciplinary info before, so I doubt they would start now. I did hear over the weekend that somebody from SI pooped in a bag and left it in the visitor’s locker room for the Serra team when they visited SI last month. There were also puddles of urine.

Kid got suspended for two games. Serra won both anyway. He's available after tonight's OT win in San Jose.

I have a senior and a frosh...both snickered then laughed hysterically at the locker room prank. Clearly a sign of bad parenting.

I’ve never heard of a high school releasing disciplinary info before, so I doubt they would start now. I did hear over the weekend that somebody from SI pooped in a bag and left it in the visitor’s locker room for the Serra team when they visited SI last month. There were also puddles of urine.

wtf, this type of stuff is straight out the movies. If something like that happened at Logan or anywhere in MVALS they'd just cancel the whole season, they don't take basketball nearly as seriously out here.

The BAOSN video had the gesture in question edited out, probably because of the network's partnership with Serra. I also heard those rumors about what happened to the visiting locker room at SI. I do know that both sides will accuse the others of racist taunts, which is something that can't really be confirmed or denied.

The "SI rejects" chant was in response to a "Serra rejects" chant. When all the stuff after the game took place, most of the Serra players celebrated with their team and fans, as one should after a 20-point comeback in a huge rivalry game. Storming the court and going nuts is completely warranted. Most of the Serra players celebrated appropriately, and the SI players did a very good job of acting professionally, waiting for the celebration to subside and shaking hands before heading to the locker room. A few people acted out.

When McDonald hit the buzzer beater in 2017, the fans appropriately rushed the court, and they did so without incident. A couple of players got knocked over because there were just so many people running, and one of the refs got inadvertently shoved, but it was nothing malicious. What a few of the kids did here was deliberate, and I'm still curious as to which of the rumors were true regarding what happened at the Beach Game to spark things.

I also know that the student sections from both teams were sent through different doors afterwards, but they reconvened in the hallway and outside the school as well. I was told there were a few punches involved and police had to be called to break things up. It wouldn't be the first time this happened. The link I was searching for seems to have expired, but in 2012, when SI pulled off a stunning 57-54 upset at Serra, the student section yell leaders played a game of knockout at halftime that turned into a physical altercation.

wtf, this type of stuff is straight out the movies. If something like that happened at Logan or anywhere in MVALS they'd just cancel the whole season, they don't take basketball nearly as seriously out here.

I don't know if that's true. Logan, Moreau and Newark are big-time programs, and while that level of personal hostility may be absent, those games are still a big deal. I'm sure it'll be a great crowd on Thursday when Logan and Moreau battle for the league title.

I don't know if that's true. Logan, Moreau and Newark are big-time programs, and while that level of personal hostility may be absent, those games are still a big deal. I'm sure it'll be a great crowd on Thursday when Logan and Moreau battle for the league title.

It’ll be a great environment for sure and I’m looking forward to it, but personally I don’t think they come to close to even matching what I saw in the YouTube video of “the jungle”. They got a dude playing the guitar, they have organized chants and a post game presser? It’s like a mini college game though, that’s really cool to see.

But yeah you can’t except every school to have that kind of an environment, going to Logan games is still hell of an experience for me so not really complaining just admiring “the jungle”.

Don't know where this poop bag and puddles of urine rumor is coming from, but it's simply not true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT