ADVERTISEMENT

Serra-St. Ignatius

The post game on-court shenanigans could have serious repercussions for one of the teams that played last night.

Lincoln240, Marcaletti had no choice but to play Begovich. They were getting destroyed without him. I have to wonder if the commenters actually watched the game.

One thing you can always count on is Chuck's team playing outstanding defense. I'd love to know what he told his team at halftime. It certainly worked. He knew that without good ballhandlers, SI might panic and throw the ball away. They did, over and over.

Lincoln240, Marcaletti had no choice but to play Begovich. They were getting destroyed without him. I have to wonder if the commenters actually watched the game.
They lost the game because they couldn’t break the press and get easy baskets! That was the difference. Begovich was a non factor on either side in the second half.
They weren’t going to have him guard McDonald and they couldn’t get him the ball in the press break. They needed to send guys to the ball and pass through the press and score easy uncontested layups. No coach will take the press off until they get best with layups.
He did have a choice. They needed him in the end to possibly hit winning three of grab crucial rebounds.
They also only had 4 players on the court when they came out of a TO in last couple minutes. Not too mention arguing and discontent on the bench.... I just call it the way I see it
Just curious did you play in high school or college or have you ever coached?

What about the SI assistant coaching brain trust? Where were those guys in the second half? Confusion on the bench seemed to be rampant through the final period.

In his post game comments, Marcaletti specifically mentioned that he was disappointed in his players trying to dribble through the press. You can coach your players to do the right thing and still have them panic and do foolish things like dribbling through a press.

As I stated earlier, guard play in HS basketball is critical and can get you far. SI graduated three 3-year starting guards last year in Trammel, Beckman and Redmond. Robinson is more of a wing player and both he and Begovich flourished with the veteran trio getting them easy buckets...

Watched the replay on BAOSN today... What a game!

I agree that it was Serra's full-court pressure and SI's inability to deal with it was the difference...

SI was in panic mode almost from the very beginning of the 2nd half.

Question: Do you believe in the concept of home-court advantage?

Interesting question. In high school, I dont believe there is any. The biggest factor is talent. I dont think Aaron Gordon cared if he played at home gym at Mitty or a barn in the middle of nowhere. He was going to dominate regardless. In college and pros yes home court does give you a slight advantage in most cases.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Anyone care to elaborate on what transpired after the game?

What do you mean? Can't 300 Brett Kavanagh's run mad crazy onto the court after a huge improbable comback win?

If safety was in the balance and this is a recurring thing happening year after year, its the principal or dean's responsibility to get on the mic, tell the students, dont think about storming the court or you will deal with the consequences.

As I stated earlier, guard play in HS basketball is critical and can get you far. SI graduated three 3-year starting guards last year in Trammel, Beckman and Redmond. Robinson is more of a wing player and both he and Begovich flourished with the veteran trio getting them easy buckets...

Agreed, SI doesnt have a Trevor Dunbar or Darion Trammell that is a one man press break. Robinson is a scorer, not really a ball handler.

From the Examiner....

After the final horn, multiple Serra fans and players were going after the St. Ignatius fans, with a few crotch-grabbing gestures involved.

“The crowd was saying a lot of mean stuff to our players, so I felt like they deserved that,” Fitz said.

Security staff and administrators from both schools had to step in, including St. Ignatius principal Patrick Ruff. Though fans were directed to separate exits, they ultimately reconvened in the hallways outside the gym to continue the feud.

I went to college at Seton Hall in 2005-2006. We beat West Virginia who was ranked no. 11 at the time. We rushed the court.

In college if you beat a team ranked in the top 25 and it was a long shot, go ahead and rush the court imo. I wish we could say all students just rush to the middle of the court and go back to your seats after celebrating with the team, but there’s always that guy who wants to rub it in.

In high school you should really only rush the court if you win a Championship. Stuart Hall came back from 20 pts down to win the NCS NorCal Championship over St. Mary’s. The players came over to us after the game. That seems like a lot safer a scenario than just bull rushing the court.

And no disrespect to either of these teams, but a single conference win should not justify a court storming....seriously....you just beat Riordan. Act like you’ve been there before!

And no disrespect to either of these teams, but a single conference win should not justify a court storming....seriously....you just beat Riordan. Act like you’ve been there before!

No disrespect Ayalar but Stuart Hall wouldn’t win a single game in WCAL! Don’t hate on a great HS atmosphere like the jungle! You’ll lost to SHC! WCAL best league top to bottom in Nor Cal! Stuart Hall has a good little program going no need to hate because of a few bad apples and court rush!

What do you mean? Can't 300 Brett Kavanagh's run mad crazy onto the court after a huge improbable comback win?

If safety was in the balance and this is a recurring thing happening year after year, its the principal or dean's responsibility to get on the mic, tell the students, dont think about storming the court or you will deal with the consequences.

Fantastic Brett Kavanaugh blast!

25-brett-kavanaugh-yearbook.w330.h412.jpg

Apparently the crotch grabbing and associated instruction on what to do with items being grabbed directed generally toward SI fans including parents.

The court rush is fine..whatever, but start doing or talking nasty smack to a wife or Mom and you may have just started something you should have thought twice about.

Specifically, what happened at Serra that was egregious and beyond the pale in the world of teen sports behavior?

The Daily Journal didn’t find anything so egregious as to report on it. They simply reported the game story. From my perspective:

SI had a huge lead in the first half and mercilessly taunted the Serra kids. When Serra turned on the jets in the second half, the Serra section went crazy with energy. The Serra kids did the “goodbye” chant at the end. Left with nothing else, the SI kids chanted “SI rejects.” This pissed off the Serra kids and led to a bad gesture.

Incredible game overall.

I thought SI saved the reject chant for SH kids? Didn’t know that applied to others. Leave it to the elitists to say such a douchy insult. Yes this is totally the way to live Jesus in their hearts.

I thought SI saved the reject chant for SH kids? Didn’t know that applied to others. Leave it to the elitists to say such a douchy insult. Yes this is totally the way to live Jesus in their hearts.
That darn “Squee”! He’s always causing trouble. Lol! Kudos on the Kavanaugh take!

No disrespect Ayalar but Stuart Hall wouldn’t win a single game in WCAL! Don’t hate on a great HS atmosphere like the jungle! You’ll lost to SHC! WCAL best league top to bottom in Nor Cal! Stuart Hall has a good little program going no need to hate because of a few bad apples and court rush!

I love how you bring up our loss to SH. Meanwhile you fail to mention that Serra lost to Miramonte while Stuart Hall beat that same team.

I’d say right now Stuart Hall can compete with just about anybody, and I hope we get seeded in CIF with St Francis, so they can show you head to head. Some teams get better as the season goes on, and Stuart Hall is one of those teams!

Serra admin look like SWAT corralling their kids as they stormed court.

Look, the SI administration has had a bad couple of weeks. SI section looked like the Republican National Convention. I stopped the tape and saw not one minority in the group. The school is what it is. Otherwise, great atmosphere school spirit-wise.

I imagine hard one for Cats to get over.

Safe to assume that Stuart Hall won't be placed in a crappy D4 for another cakewalk to Golden 1 Center this year! We'll see what they're made of later this month in NorCals as they'll have to EARN their way to Sacramento this year........

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Interesting question. In high school, I dont believe there is any. The biggest factor is talent. I dont think Aaron Gordon cared if he played at home gym at Mitty or a barn in the middle of nowhere. He was going to dominate regardless. In college and pros yes home court does give you a slight advantage in most cases.

Home court definitely matters in high schools to the 99.9999999999% of teams that don’t have Aaron Gordon lol.

There is a reason why teams get frustrated with seeding misses come playoff time

Yeah. Just saw the video...The video didn't show any Padre fans taunting the SI section as there was plenty of security including San Mateo's Finest on the floor. Pretty low class move from the SI student section shouting "SI Rejects!" They do get a little too personal - as this was also evident when Riordan played the 'Cats a few weeks ago. Win / lose with class I always say.

Reactions: Crusaders70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT