ADVERTISEMENT

SFL best league in NorCal

(1) Why would it tell you that? Because it's the best against the best from two very good leagues. And btw, this is on the field of play not on a computer data base.

(2) That game should have only told you that DO outplayed Serra on that night. Yes it told me that along with showing me that Del Oro would beat Serra 8 out of 10 times. You need to remember that night game was played in Serra's back yard not Del Oro.

(3) Nothing more was settled. If you say so but you would be hard pressed telling the SFL coaches that. I personally see it as settling the bragging rights between the two leagues since that's the fair way to do it. I'm a NCS and SJS guy and I know a lot about the WCAL. So with that being said, I would lean on my credentials on this before anyone else's.

Reactions: RodneyPete45
Scarlett Johansson and its not even close.

Yeah .... I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of -- disagree with you there. On the "not even close" part that is ;)

I'm a big fan of ScarJo, but tend to lean a little more toward 'Love'. She's more my age anyway.

As I said before, there is NO wrong answer. Believe that!

Before Oak Ridge and Folsom joined the SFL, you could make a strong argument for the WCAL, but after the re-alignment it really isn't up for debate. This is coming from a CCS/WCAL guy. If the WCAL added Palma and Sacred Heart Prep then you could bring the debate back, but for now the SFL is the stronger league until otherwise proven on the field in cross-section games.

I'm not saying that you are right or wrong or whatever. I don't want to fan the flames any further for the deeply passionate. However, I do want to give you credit for being extremely open-minded and objective despite having a personal bias toward the other side. Not a lot of people can do that. It's quite refreshing to see.

Reactions: Adam007
There are many humorous posts on this thread and kind of funny as it follows another discussion on the same topic on another thread prior to this one. Most fans can't resist the "Homerism" & resist seeing the similarities & how the argument can be posted either way dependent on your faovortism towards your league. There was one post on here that got it exactly right, but was mostly ignored. There are many facts to consider & there is just no way to accurately declare which league is a stronger league at the top vs top to bottom other than Folsom clearly being the best team of the 2 leagues this season. The 2 leagues have been ranked very closely all season long as the top 2 leagues in NorCal with the WCAL leading most of the season & the SFL getting a higher rating in the last 1-2 weeks. So Folsom at the top clearly and you can argue 'til Doomsday about the rest of the 2 leagues teams without ever getting a chance to prove your point. Maybe as more games between the 2 teams take place in future we'll all get a better idea of consistency season to season. BTW - the Del Oro vs Bells game being close really means next to nothing for those wanting to keep bringing that up. Serra played DLS much tougher than any other CA team this season incl. 2 SFL teams, which means exactly the same thing league to league -nuthin' [look up scores if you're not aware of].

Serra played DLS much tougher than any other CA team this season incl. 2 SFL teams, which means exactly the same thing league to league -nuthin' [look up scores if you're not aware of].

I fully agree with the gist of what you said. However, I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that Serra played DLS any tougher, let alone much tougher, than any other CA team.

Sure, the final score was closer -- as Serra scored 2 TD's late to make it appear better -- but they were down 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and 35-7 at half. Granite Bay was only down 7-0 with around 2 minutes left in the half and, despite a poor turn of events with a Safety and free kick, was only down 16-0. One could easily argue that they were in the game longer than Serra was. And GB was minus their starting QB that just led them to a come from behind win at Grant on Friday night.

Point is, it's all how you choose to look at it. Closer end score versus who was actually in the game longer.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
I fully agree with the gist of what you said. However, I'm not sure that it's accurate to say that Serra played DLS any tougher, let alone much tougher, than any other CA team.

OK ThunderRam appreciate your comments, but somewhat a play on semantics, so let's just merely look at the facts of whom gave DLS their toughest game among CA teams:
DLS 37 - Serra 21
DLS 52 - Servite -15
DLS 41 - Lutheran 3
DLS 37 - Granite Bay 0
DLS 48 - SRV 0
DLS 52 - Poly 2
DLS 41 - Del Oro 3
DLS 57 - Logan 14
DLS 56 - CA 0
DLS 47 - CA 0

Your comments on the Serra-DLS game are partially true but leave out a great deal as well. You say that Serra was down 35-7 in first 1/2 while Granite Bay was only down 16-0 " despite a poor turn of events" in your own words. Are you aware that several Serra turn-overs lead to 3 DLS TD's in the first 1/2 which can truly be described as a "poor turn of events"? In the Serra-DLS game the Serra starting QB was out injured almost 1/2 the game. The back-up QB was an untested soph who threw 2 TD's against the DLS defense - something no other team this season has done [let me know if I'm wrong]. So Serra outscored DLS 14-2 in the 2nd 1/2 with the DLS starters still in the 4th quarter with a Serra soph QB playing 1/2 the game. Do you still want me to believe Granite Bay gave the Spartans a tougher game losing 37-0? The closest other game by any other California team vs DLS was same Granite Bay losing 37-0 to their credit - which was by 22-points more than Serra with a back-up soph QB. Serra is the only team other than Trinity of Texas to put up 3 TD's against the Spartan's this season.

Like we both said - it's all in how you look at it..;)

The best part of this debate, it truly switched the "Heading" of the thread to a "Hmmmm, I can't prove that"

I love to challenge "Tea Party" wisdom with FOX news Network conviction.

We Are Still a Free Thinking Society....

We Are One...We R Riordan and yes, We Are The WCAL

There are many humorous posts on this thread and kind of funny as it follows another discussion on the same topic on another thread prior to this one. Most fans can't resist the "Homerism" & resist seeing the similarities & how the argument can be posted either way dependent on your faovortism towards your league. There was one post on here that got it exactly right, but was mostly ignored. There are many facts to consider & there is just no way to accurately declare which league is a stronger league at the top vs top to bottom other than Folsom clearly being the best team of the 2 leagues this season. The 2 leagues have been ranked very closely all season long as the top 2 leagues in NorCal with the WCAL leading most of the season & the SFL getting a higher rating in the last 1-2 weeks. So Folsom at the top clearly and you can argue 'til Doomsday about the rest of the 2 leagues teams without ever getting a chance to prove your point. Maybe as more games between the 2 teams take place in future we'll all get a better idea of consistency season to season. BTW - the Del Oro vs Bells game being close really means next to nothing for those wanting to keep bringing that up. Serra played DLS much tougher than any other CA team this season incl. 2 SFL teams, which means exactly the same thing league to league -nuthin' [look up scores if you're not aware of].
Great post. However, I think you and the rest of the board has not listened to the full Del Oro/Bells argument. The game wasn't just close. The Bells won on practically a miracle. If you saw the game live, you would say the Bells were extremely lucky to win. Maybe as lucky as Michigan State vs. Michigan (thank you Michigan State punter). I agree to not just look at the score as being close. I am looking at it substantively from what I observed at the game. The game wasn't JUST a close win by the Bells. It was a miracle win by the Bells. Ask anyone that was there.

Now, does this one game tell the story about which league is better? No, it doesn't. But it is definitely a huge indicator since Del Oro was the 4th place team in the SFL, and the Bells were the best team in the WCAL. This is just one way to look at it. Both leagues are extremely good this year. I just give SFL the edge based on what I have seen.

1.Folsom > Bellarmine strange feeling this game will be settled on the field it will be a lot like the Folsom Clayton Valley Game
2.Oak Ridge = St Francis honestly feel St Francis would be a slight favorite if these two played offensive consistency is the only real doubt
four teams with 3 league losses in the WCAL four way tie for third
3.Valley Christian > Rocklin
4.Del Oro = Riordan this season the crusaders were a solid team that dwindled late, Del Oro gets stronger as the year goes on
5.Serra = Granite Bay
6.Mitty > Wood creek
7.SI/Sacred Heart = Nevada Union SI just on schedule alone is probably a better team but rounding down for SHC Nevada Union was the Jewel of the SFL and the Standard for Sacramento football when I coached in the area.

If you are basing the SFL off this years playoffs alone then the SFL is probably a better league. Last Season the SFL was not a very good league. It was actually quite a bad season, with Folsom being the exception. This is Folsom and Oak Ridges second year in the league so you can't really count them in the leagues history.

The Beallarmine Del Oro game whatever thats just how the Bells play, same thing in their state bowl appearance's, El Cerrito two years ago, the missed PAT against DLS in over time, going for the TD against SI instead of kicking the field goal in the open. The Bells almost lose every big game they play and if you follow them you just understand thats how they play, they play 7 games like that ever season and there was nothing lucky about it.
The WCAL has been lack luster against teams outside of their area. SFL teams are just hungrier, when the two sections meet. Teams like Del Oro just seem to want it more, it matters more. Traditional SJS powers just play better when bay area teams come to town, more passion more enthusiasm.
Is the SFL a better league at this moment, then the WCAL, yes they are playing in tougher Playoff Brackets and performing well. Was the SFL better in the heart of league, no.

It all depends on how you look at it. The WCAL is a much more competitive league than the SFL, in the height of the season there are 6 teams ever year and you never have a clue who is going to beat who or what is going to happen.

The SFL was NU Del Oro Granite Bay and everyone else for a long time. The SFL is definitely one of the two best leagues in Nor Cal this season. Thought the VOL was a better league last season and the SFL is a better league this season.

The WCAL and the SFL are about even this season and "IF" the Bells and Bulldogs can keep from falling on their buts in the playoffs should get a solid answer to the question. Although you can't help but pull for the Heard that Robards is something else

Reactions: awood1
1.Folsom > Bellarmine strange feeling this game will be settled on the field it will be a lot like the Folsom Clayton Valley Game
2.Oak Ridge = St Francis honestly feel St Francis would be a slight favorite if these two played offensive consistency is the only real doubt
4.Del Oro = Riordan this season the crusaders were a solid team that dwindled late, Del Oro gets stronger as the year goes on
5.Serra = Granite Bay
6.Mitty > Wood creek
7.SI/Sacred Heart = Nevada Union SI just on schedule alone is probably a better team but rounding down for SHC Nevada Union was the Jewel of the SFL and the Standard for Sacramento football when I coached in the area.

If you are basing the SFL off this years playoffs alone then the SFL is probably a better league. Last Season the SFL was not a very good league. It was actually quite a bad season, with Folsom being the exception. This is Folsom and Oak Ridges second year in the league so you can't really count them in the leagues history.

The Beallarmine Del Oro game whatever thats just how the Bells play, same thing in their state bowl appearance's, El Cerrito two years ago, the missed PAT against DLS in over time, going for the TD against SI instead of kicking the field goal in the open. The Bells almost lose every big game they play and if you follow them you just understand thats how they play, they play 7 games like that ever season and there was nothing lucky about it.
The WCAL has been lack luster against teams outside of their area. SFL teams are just hungrier, when the two sections meet. Teams like Del Oro just seem to want it more, it matters more. Traditional SJS powers just play better when bay area teams come to town, more passion more enthusiasm.
Is the SFL a better league at this moment, then the WCAL, yes they are playing in tougher Playoff Brackets and performing well. Was the SFL better in the heart of league, no.

It all depends on how you look at it. The WCAL is a much more competitive league than the SFL, in the height of the season there are 6 teams ever year and you never have a clue who is going to beat who or what is going to happen.

The SFL was NU Del Oro Granite Bay and everyone else for a long time. The SFL is definitely one of the two best leagues in Nor Cal this season. Thought the VOL was a better league last season and the SFL is a better league this season.

The WCAL and the SFL are about even this season and "IF" the Bells and Bulldogs can keep from falling on their buts in the playoffs should get a solid answer to the question. Although you can't help but pull for the Heard that Robards is something else
I see it this way. 1.(Folsom > Bellarmine) Bellarmine will struggle with Folsom spread offense. Folsom defense will be the difference in this game. 35-14 Folsom
2.(Oak Ridge > St Francis) Oak Ridge QB Book will be too much for St. Francis to handle. SF haven't seen a QB as good as Book let alone played against one. 28-21 Oak Ridge
3.(Rocklin > Valley Christian) Rocklin might be the best team in the SFL now. They have really been playing some good football the last few weeks. I see them beating VC fairly easy. 35-17 Rocklin
4.(Del Oro > Riordan) Del Oro should have beaten Bellarmine so I see no chance for the 4th best team in the WCAL beating them. Better coaching wins this game for DO. 42-28 Del Oro
5.(Serra = Granite Bay) This game can go either way but I see Granite Bay winning in a night game and Serra winning in a day game. Home field advantage would play a big roll in who wins this game.
6.(Mitty = Wood Creek) On any given night Wood Creek can compete with the best SFL teams for a half. So with that being said I see them hanging with Mitty to the end. Mitty has been a Dr. Jackal Mr. Hyde program this year. Don't know which team is going to show up for them.
7.(SI/Sacred Heart > Nevada Union) Nevada Union is just a bad team. I think they would have a better chance beating SH then SI but it doesn't matter because they will lose this game. SH/SI win this game by two scores.

Very articulate post as the match up goes...

But opinion is jaded to SFL...could argue the counter on each point. Same post as previous, so wonder added value of redundant post.

I heard somewhere, "saying it over and over does not make it true". But maybe posting over and over added validity?

Just my opinion...I could be wrong?

"(1)Why would it tell you that? Because it's the best against the best from two very good leagues. And btw, this is on the field of play not on a computer data base.

Claiming that because the SFL champion beat the WCAL co-champ (yes, Serra did not win the WCAL outright) makes the SFL better is akin to saying that because Corona Centennial squashed Gardena Serra that the Big-VIII is a much better league than the Mission. The truth is that it's not even close. The Mission is probably the 2nd best league in the state.

(2) That game should have only told you that DO outplayed Serra on that night. Yes it told me that along with showing me that Del Oro would beat Serra 8 out of 10 times. You need to remember that night game was played in Serra's back yard not Del Oro.

Didn't DO need two kick returns for scores to win that game? You'd be counting on that to happen 8 out of 10 times?

(3) Nothing more was settled. If you say so but you would be hard pressed telling the SFL coaches that. I personally see it as settling the bragging rights between the two leagues since that's the fair way to do it. I'm a NCS and SJS guy and I know a lot about the WCAL. So with that being said, I would lean on my credentials on this before anyone else's.

Well, isn't that convenient. A bunch of us know plenty about both leagues. I would personally lean on the credentials of someone who wasn't clearly so much of a homer. (BTW, before you call me a homer, please repost any statement I've made in this thread claiming WCAL superiority.)

Reactions: aztecpadre

Sure, the final score was closer -- as Serra scored 2 TD's late to make it appear better -- but they were down 28-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and 35-7 at half. Granite Bay was only down 7-0 with around 2 minutes left in the half and, despite a poor turn of events with a Safety and free kick, was only down 16-0. One could easily argue that they were in the game longer than Serra was. And GB was minus their starting QB that just led them to a come from behind win at Grant on Friday night.

Point is, it's all how you choose to look at it. Closer end score versus who was actually in the game longer.

You're right, there are a couple different ways to look at it. The DLS offense did not score against GB the way it did against Serra. But GB did not move the ball against DLS as Serra did. The Padres remain the last team to score on the Spartan 1st team D and they nearly did it twice in the first half (fumbled at the 1). Another thing to consider is that the Spartan first team offense was on the field for most of the 3rd quarter and at the end of the game against Serra.

Still doesn't completely clarify which game was tougher, but just considering a second perspective.

Reactions: ThunderRam
"(1)Why would it tell you that? Because it's the best against the best from two very good leagues. And btw, this is on the field of play not on a computer data base.

Claiming that because the SFL champion beat the WCAL co-champ (yes, Serra did not win the WCAL outright) makes the SFL better is akin to saying that because Corona Centennial squashed Gardena Serra that the Big-VIII is a much better league than the Mission. The truth is that it's not even close. The Mission is probably the 2nd best league in the state.

Didn't DO need two kick returns for scores to win that game? You'd be counting on that to happen 8 out of 10 times?

Well, isn't that convenient. A bunch of us know plenty about both leagues. I would personally lean on the credentials of someone who wasn't clearly so much of a homer. (BTW, before you call me a homer, please repost any statement I've made in this thread claiming WCAL superiority.)
I don't see you no more a homer than I am. I just call it the way I see it. This is my opinion and if you feel you have a legit refute to my opinions on this topic feel free to go for it. And my opinions are based on the field of play not some data from a computer.

If there is no pressure and its a pre-season or early season game, VC beats Rocklin.
If its playoffs, pressure is on, big game time, Rocklin beats VC. Or VC finds a creative way to lose.

But I'd love to see this game, though I don't think its possible.

Valley Christian > Rocklin

What do you base this upon?

Last Season the SFL was not a very good league. It was actually quite a bad season, with Folsom being the exception.

Where do you get this idea from? It's not at all true. It was rated as the 3rd best league in CA by Calpreps.

The SFL was NU Del Oro Granite Bay and everyone else for a long time.

This is also not quite true. NU didn't rejoin the SFL until 2010 and has been a non-factor since. Prior to that, NU was in the CAL from 1982 through 2001 then had short stints in the Metro and Delta Valley leagues. You have to go back to 1981 when NU was last an SFL bully.

Del Oro and GB have indeed been the mainstays (although GB did spend a few years in the Metro a decade ago). Rocklin has also been relevant for the past 10 years or so. Going back a bit further, you'd also have Placer and Bear River in the mix.

Del Oro has been the king of the SFL, with GB a close 2nd. Folsom has certainly taken the mantle the past 2 years, though.

Last edited:
If there is no pressure and its a pre-season or early season game, VC beats Rocklin.
If its playoffs, pressure is on, big game time, Rocklin beats VC. Or VC finds a creative way to lose.

I haven't seen a lot of VC this season, but I don't buy this at all. I don't see them beating any of the SFL's top 3.

In the 1980's thru early 1990'S Woodcreek, Rocklin, Granite Bay were empty farm fields....players from these areas opted to Roseville, Oakmont or Del Oro......

With all the switching around compared to the WCAL...can you really state the SFL a better league?

I guess if you bedazzle a chair and place in place for musical chairs, I guess that set of chairs shine brighter?????

In the 1980's thru early 1990'S Woodcreek, Rocklin, Granite Bay were empty farm fields....players from these areas opted to Roseville, Oakmont or Del Oro......

Yep. I recall the youngest Trythall brother as one of the 1st stars at Granite Bay when it opened. His older brothers all went to Oakmont.

Said before last season started thought the SFL would contend for the best league in nor cal. I stand by the fact it was the second best league in the SJS behind the VOL last season.

Oak Ridge Del Oro both had mediocre seasons last year Rocklin was solid and so was Granite Bay, Folsom was outstanding. Again it was a two team race for second place and Folsom way out ahead. First place in the WCAL is always a 2 or 3 person race and second place is always a four person race.

2.(Oak Ridge > St Francis) Oak Ridge QB Book will be too much for St. Francis to handle. SF haven't seen a QB as good as Book let alone played against one. 28-21 Oak Ridge

the fact of the matter is SF has the best secondary in Northern California Oak Ridge as a whole would struggle offensively against the lancers. The only real question again in this game is SF's offense they are way more talented than Oak Ridge but they do not score, on a night where SF's offense clicked they would win by 14 points, they haven't clicked on offense all season so it would be a three point game either way.

Rocklin > Valley Christian) Rocklin might be the best team in the SFL now. They have really been playing some good football the last few weeks. I see them beating VC fairly easy. 35-17 Rocklin

you may very well be right I just watched Rocklin play Sac for a quarter, I was under whelmed and they are not as solid of a team as they were last year. They are playing great football at the moment and that may very well carry them. They would not beat VC by 18 points thats a stretch.

(Mitty = Wood Creek) On any given night Wood Creek can compete with the best SFL teams for a half. So with that being said I see them hanging with Mitty to the end. Mitty has been a Dr. Jackal Mr. Hyde program this year. Don't know which team is going to show up for them.

like many schools that are on the verge wood creek doesn't know they are suppose to win. They melt down in big games because the tradition and belief haven't fully sunk in yet. When they stop melting down in big games I will believe they are even with Mitty. Until then they have to earn those stripes.

The WCAL has been this way since the late 90's early 2000's a league having one really good year doesn't trump 14 years of excellence.

I just watched Rocklin play Sac for a quarter, I was under whelmed

Not a good game in which to judge. That was the week after the Whitney game, when they had lost multiple starters to suspension and injury. They weren't at full strength on the lines until 3 weeks later for the Del Oro game. Boise commit Chase Hatada didn't play his first game until then and Collin Wahl was in and out with an ankle injury. Those two make a huge difference on their lines.

You wouldn't learn much about Rocklin studying the Whitney, Sac or Oak Ridge games. I wouldn't be impressed either.

Last edited:
they are not as solid of a team as they were last year.

I agree with you on this.

While this current team is really good and can play a lot better and even win section, they aren't as deep or talented as last seasons squad. That team's season was derailed once QB Max O'Rourke went down with a season ending injury. If that kid had been able to play all season, I think Rocklin might have ended up as the 2nd best team in the section. They were driving for the lead late in the 1st half against Folsom when the wheels fell off for the backup QB (Floyd). Had O'Rourke played in that game, I think they would have kept that game interesting well into the 2nd half.

Injuries certainly happen to every team, but it seems as if Rocklin has been more snakebit than some others with regard to it happening to key players over the years. QB Jimmy Laughrea went down before the State Bowl Game in 2009. QB O'Rourke goes down midseason last year and DL Chase Hatada missed the 1st half of this season. Those are the types of players that make a good team really, really good.

"The WCAL has been this way since the late 90's early 2000's a league having one really good year doesn't trump 14 years of excellence."

Once again

94-95-96 is when Woodcreek, Rocklin, Granite Bay opened. Pretty good success rate for new schools in a tough league.

I stand by the fact it was the second best league in the SJS behind the VOL last season.

You can stand behind that opinion all you want. Fact is, you'll be hard-pressed to find many, if any, that would agree with you. I'm not even sure that the most ardent VOL supporter would take the same stance, but perhaps you might find a couple that do.

Statistically, the opinion is as ridiculous as saying that the Peninsula Bay was better than the WCAL.

The WCAL has been this way since the late 90's early 2000's a league having one really good year doesn't trump 14 years of excellence.

If you believe that the SFL has only had 1 really good year, there's really no reason to continue the discussion as you're not coming from a place of reality. The SFL was among the top 2-3 leagues in the SJS and NorCal well before Folsom and Oak Ridge set foot in the league.

Everyone understands that you are pro-WCAL, no need to start treading on the side of ridiculous.

Looks like the SFL has been declared the better league by popular board vote and input.

Or there may be more SJS(SFL) posters on this board than CCS(WCAL) posters willing to comment.

Now, does this one game tell the story about which league is better? No, it doesn't. But it is definitely a huge indicator since Del Oro was the 4th place team in the SFL, and the Bells were the best team in the WCAL.

Hmm..I think I remember the Bells getting beat by the 6th place WCAL team Mitty.

This is just one way to look at it.

One of many. The problem is that using transitives can be a slippery slope.

Both leagues are extremely good this year.

Something we can agree on.

Reactions: concrete17
lol, i didn't say they only had 1 good year I said that before last year they were a 3 team league and this wasn't really a debatable conversation. Del Oro, Rocklin and Granite Bay all capable of winning the WCAL who else, before last season? Valley Christian, Mitty, Serra, Bellarmine and St Francis with occasional spurts by St Ignatius all capable of winning the SFL before last season.

Everyone understands that you are pro-WCAL, no need to start treading on the side of ridiculous.

it is only ridiculous if you take it in over the last ten years, last season it was not ridiculous at all.

no one that knows me thinks I am pro WCAL. I played at Los Gatos and if you understood the nature of public private rivalry in the CCS, even as a Catholic there was always a strong dislike for WCAL schools. I just tend to be bigger than my feelings when I am searching for fair.

I don't need anyone's else's opinion when I make a statement because I can use my eyes. Watched the four best teams from the VOL play last season watched the six best teams from the SFL play and the four best teams from the VOL played a higher caliber brand of football last season. I don't pay attention to traditional rigid Sacramento logic that teams in the Stockton area can't play and they are the peasants of the Section. Down this year up last year thats why so many of their teams played in and or won the finals(referring to tracy, St Mary's and Modesto Christian as well not VOL teams).

Statistically, the opinion is as ridiculous as saying that the Peninsula Bay was better than the WCAL.

there were not four teams in the Penisula Bay league that could compete in WCAL or the SFL there was 1. Watching Oakdale, Manteca, Sierra and Central Catholic all of those teams could have competed in either league last season it is just a fact, I will always trust my eyes over popular opinion. I think the VOL was comparable to the WCAL last season, the WCAL wasn't a hot ticket last season either. Still very competitive league, not one of its best years. The same goes for the SFL.

Here are the statistics however.
SFL 1 section title last season 1 state championship 1 team played for section title
WCAL 1 Section Title last season 3 teams played for section titles
Penisula Bay 1 section Title 1 team played for section title
VOL 2 section titles 1 state championship 2 teams played for section title
DRVL 1 section Title 1 team played for section title
The other fact of the matter is if you took away, this season, and just ask people in Sacramento who the best league over the last six years was, it would be split between the Delta and the SFL, with a strong leaning towards the Delta when Folsom, Oak Ridge, Pleasant Grove, Jesuit were running around together.

I don't think the WCAL is a better league than the SFL, don't think the SFLis a better league than WCAL. My Sacramento brothers and sisters get on here and go way to far with their statements sometimes. It wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't truly believe that Sacramento is the center of the football universe. Love your passion, hate the delusions.

When I say delusion I mean tomorrow mourning I will go to Reno and watch the team that put 54 points on Oak Ridge struggle to score 21 on Gorman

lol, i didn't say they only had 1 good year I said that before last year they were a 3 team league and this wasn't really a debatable conversation. Del Oro, Rocklin and Granite Bay all capable of winning the WCAL who else, before last season? Valley Christian, Mitty, Serra, Bellarmine and St Francis with occasional spurts by St Ignatius all capable of winning the SFL before last season.

it is only ridiculous if you take it in over the last ten years, last season it was not ridiculous at all.

no one that knows me thinks I am pro WCAL. I played at Los Gatos and if you understood the nature of public private rivalry in the CCS, even as a Catholic there was always a strong dislike for WCAL schools. I just tend to be bigger than my feelings when I am searching for fair.

I don't need anyone's else's opinion when I make a statement because I can use my eyes. Watched the four best teams from the VOL play last season watched the six best teams from the SFL play and the four best teams from the VOL played a higher caliber brand of football last season. I don't pay attention to traditional rigid Sacramento logic that teams in the Stockton area can't play and they are the peasants of the Section. Down this year up last year thats why so many of their teams played in and or won the finals(referring to tracy, St Mary's and Modesto Christian as well not VOL teams).

there were not four teams in the Penisula Bay league that could compete in WCAL or the SFL there was 1. Watching Oakdale, Manteca, Sierra and Central Catholic all of those teams could have competed in either league last season it is just a fact, I will always trust my eyes over popular opinion. I think the VOL was comparable to the WCAL last season, the WCAL wasn't a hot ticket last season either. Still very competitive league, not one of its best years. The same goes for the SFL.

Here are the statistics however.
SFL 1 section title last season 1 state championship 1 team played for section title
WCAL 1 Section Title last season 3 teams played for section titles
Penisula Bay 1 section Title 1 team played for section title
VOL 2 section titles 1 state championship 2 teams played for section title
DRVL 1 section Title 1 team played for section title
The other fact of the matter is if you took away, this season, and just ask people in Sacramento who the best league over the last six years was, it would be split between the Delta and the SFL, with a strong leaning towards the Delta when Folsom, Oak Ridge, Pleasant Grove, Jesuit were running around together.

I don't think the WCAL is a better league than the SFL, don't think the SFLis a better league than WCAL. My Sacramento brothers and sisters get on here and go way to far with their statements sometimes. It wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't truly believe that Sacramento is the center of the football universe. Love your passion, hate the delusions.

When I say delusion I mean tomorrow mourning I will go to Reno and watch the team that put 54 points on Oak Ridge struggle to score 21 on Gorman
I don't know if you are aware but the SFL is not in Sacramento, nor are any of the schools. I believe that is why it is called the Sierra Foothill League, not the Sacramento Metro League. SFL schools are 20 plus miles away from anywhere in Sacramento. Didn't know if you knew that or not.

God bless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT