ADVERTISEMENT

Sheldon's Scott Nixon is the Sacramento Bee Player of the Year

This is beyond puzzling streak. So many people scratching their heads.
I’m no Folsom fan but how in the world the honor doesn’t reside with one of their kids is beyond me.

Reactions: Macallan
It is outside the box, but Nixon did so much for Sheldon and I can see it if you want to get away from best player on the best team.

Young man definitely had a great season; stat line is surely impressive. Some are wondering if he was standout enough to warrant player of the year honors over some of the other kids who won championships.

I think Austin Mack and Alani Noa also had a strong case.... Probably a few others as well.

With that being said, Sacramento is a FBS city (talent wise) and should get out of the FCS. There's some incredible talent on this All Metro team and these kids could easily pack out a stadium! No need for these kids to go to other cities to play football! The school should consider upgrading their football

I think Austin Mack and Alani Noa also had a strong case....

Austin Mack had ZERO case.

Folsom was a top team largely due to their defense and skill players. They won several games in spite of Mack.

Grant Union‘s QB JoJo McCray had a better season, among others.

Reactions: THEOC89
I think the fact Folsom had one of its more balanced teams was part of the calculus to open it up for a guy like Nixon.

Austin Mack had ZERO case.

Folsom was a top team largely due to their defense and skill players. They won several games in spite of Mack.

Grant Union‘s QB JoJo McCray had a better season, among others.
Zero chance? I’d disagree. He was the Bee’s Large school player of the year
Passing for 3,498 yards and 40 touchdowns with just five interceptions.

In the section championship game, Austin Mack completed 24 of 28 passes and threw for 275 yards. (Missing his top 2 or 3 receivers)

And in the semi’s completed 34 of 43 passes for 460 yards and 7 touchdowns..
JoJo McCray and Mack had similar skill position players and stats. Keep in mind, JoJo was throwing to two athletic 6’5 receivers and a kid with 4.3 speed. I’d argue that JoJo had better receivers and line play.

He was also spinning behind the best offensive line in Sacramento, led by a 6’4 330 OL headed to USC.

Grant also runs a version of Folsom’s Air Raid offense.

The dude also has 7 offers from PAC-12 schools.

Not negating any of the kids effort, as they are all impressive, Mack’s included!

Zero chance? I’d disagree. He was the Bee’s Large school player of the year
Passing for 3,498 yards and 40 touchdowns with just five interceptions.

In the section championship game, Austin Mack completed 24 of 28 passes and threw for 275 yards. (Missing his top 2 or 3 receivers)

And in the semi’s completed 34 of 43 passes for 460 yards and 7 touchdowns..
JoJo McCray and Mack had similar skill position players and stats. Keep in mind, JoJo was throwing to two athletic 6’5 receivers and a kid with 4.3 speed. I’d argue that JoJo had better receivers and line play.

He was also spinning behind the best offensive line in Sacramento, led by a 6’4 330 OL headed to USC.

Grant also runs a version of Folsom’s Air Raid offense.

The dude also has 7 offers from PAC-12 schools.

Not negating any of the kids effort, as they are all impressive, Mack’s included!
Yeah zero chance is a little harsh and out of line with what he accomplished. I was at 75% of Folsom’s games and he was very impressive and often the best player on the field with a school of D1 players.

My pick would have been DO’s QB. (pinnick ).

Nothing against the winner it was just a bit odd.

I saw Nixon play against Acalanes. He was a two-way standout, tough to stop! After seeing his stats on both sides of the ball, numerous positions, seems deserving to me!

Yeah zero chance is a little harsh and out of line with what he accomplished. I was at 75% of Folsom’s games and he was very impressive and often the best player on the field with a school of D1 players.

I understand and I thought the pick was quite interesting too. But the kid certainly had an incredible season. (Although he didn't do much against Folsom).

I think the most dominate player this season was Noa from Grant.

IMO, we didn't have a "big time" skill's position player in Sacramento this season. We had some good ones for sure, but no field shifters.

Larry, you were at many of the OR games. I know you would agree that it makes no sense that the Bee has OR QB Varella as 1st team QB over Pinnick when the SFL coaches, who know a thing or two more than JoeD, voted Pinnick as the SFL offensive player of the year. Is it because JoeD regularly hangs out in Casey Taylor’s man cave?

I am happy for all the kids who got recognition, sad for the ones who didn’t and should have!
The ones who didn’t get recognition? Who exactly would that be? The list I saw in The Bee, especially the Honorable Mention piece, included more kids than ever. Throw in all the extra recognition for Big school, middle school, small school, super small school, etc etc….felt like anyone who started on their HS team. Got some sort of recognition.

🤣😂

Reactions: OtherBrotha
The ones who didn’t get recognition? Who exactly would that be? The list I saw in The Bee, especially the Honorable Mention piece, included more kids than ever. Throw in all the extra recognition for Big school, middle school, small school, super small school, etc etc….felt like anyone who started on their HS team. Got some sort of recognition.

🤣😂
Hahhaha! I was 3rd team honorable mention for all the money I spent at the gate and snack bar. Yeah if you were decent the chances have never been better.

Zero chance? I’d disagree.

Yeah zero chance is a little harsh and out of line with what he accomplished.

Yes, zero chance. He was in no way the best player in the area. Not even close.

Isn't that at least partially what it is supposed to be about?

Folsom has several players on their roster that are better players than Austin Mack. There are numerous players around the section that are better than Austin Mack.

Just in the SFL alone there is a better QB in Caden Pinnick. And if POTY is largely about gaudy stats, then someone like JoJo McCray was also then more deserving.

And that's probably a better way to put it than "zero chance". He just flat out wasn't deserving of it, when compared to the competition.

Of course there was a "chance" he'd get the award since the most deserving don't always receive such accolades and also because he was a member of the highest profile and most successful large school team in the section.

But if anyone here is seriously believing that Austin Mack was the best player in the section or even close to it, IMO it just calls into question their judgement and evaluation skills. Folsom's offense was very underwhelming compared to their usual standards and Mack was among the reasons why. Both in 2021 and 2022.

Furthermore, don't be fooled by the stats. 250 yards per game isn't anything special at all. Most especially at Folsom. The TD numbers are very good, but, as I said, JoJo McCray's numbers in the same amount of games played was significantly better. And he didn't play with a team with near as much talent as Folsom.

While I don't believe McCray is a better player or college prospect than Mack, I simply cited him as an example of another QB whose team had equal or better success and who outperformed. In terms of better players, there's a pretty large list of non-QB's to be listed, along with at least one notable QB in the area such as Caden Pinnick. Pinnick is part of the reason Mack is at Folsom in the first place.

Yes, zero chance. He was in no way the best player in the area. Not even close.

Isn't that at least partially what it is supposed to be about?

Folsom has several players on their roster that are better players than Austin Mack. There are numerous players around the section that are better than Austin Mack.

Just in the SFL alone there is a better QB in Caden Pinnick. And if POTY is largely about gaudy stats, then someone like JoJo McCray was also then more deserving.

And that's probably a better way to put it than "zero chance". He just flat out wasn't deserving of it, when compared to the competition.

Of course there was a "chance" he'd get the award since the most deserving don't always receive such accolades and also because he was a member of the highest profile and most successful large school team in the section.

But if anyone here is seriously believing that Austin Mack was the best player in the section or even close to it, IMO it just calls into question their judgement and evaluation skills. Folsom's offense was very underwhelming compared to their usual standards and Mack was among the reasons why. Both in 2021 and 2022.

Furthermore, don't be fooled by the stats. 250 yards per game isn't anything special at all. Most especially at Folsom. The TD numbers are very good, but, as I said, JoJo McCray's numbers in the same amount of games played was significantly better. And he didn't play with a team with near as much talent as Folsom.

While I don't believe McCray is a better player or college prospect than Mack, I simply cited him as an example of another QB whose team had equal or better success and who outperformed. In terms of better players, there's a pretty large list of non-QB's to be listed, along with at least one notable QB in the area such as Caden Pinnick. Pinnick is part of the reason Mack is at Folsom in the first place.

Mack has 8 Pac-12 offers and his junior season stats were good too! He’s showing the ability to get the ball to receivers, a lot of time in tight spaces. He made a wise decision going to Folsom, as it’s paying off tremendously.
…………………………………………………………………….
Is Pinnick a Div-1 college qb prospect? I’m not sure. If he is, awesome! One thing we know for certain, he is a very skilled and well rounded athlete. A kid that can play three sports very well should be up for athlete of the year considerations. No doubt.

Hmmmm, If Pinnick is not a college qb prospect, (if I’m Del Oro’s HC) I would have moved him over to slot and put Mack in the shotgun. Call me crazy, but give me the “Pac-12 recruit” and the “best athlete in the region”. Their SR year would be ridiculous!
With that being said, it looks like things are working out nicely for both athletes! Kudos and best of luck to them both!
Noa was the biggest prospect in the area and was also the most dominant player in the area. He was a man among boys. Can we really name a more dominant player?
McCray had an exceptional season. I’m not sure if you watched Grant this season but he had arguably the best offensive line and receiving core in NorCal.

He had the fastest and most naturally gifted player in the section playing receiver for him. Goss Pruit (6’1 4.3 speed) ran by everyone and Kingson Lopa ( 6’5 210 pounds, JR) is an SEC recruit. Not to mention a third receiver D-1 recruit, that is 6’5 with good speed and great hands. Had he played the whole season, Grant would have had 3 1k receivers.

What was impressive was McCrays ability to deliver the ball in ways that many Grant QBs in years pass could not. Grant has always had great receiving cores. Not always good passers. They’ve had athletes similar to Pennick but very few QB’s who could pass like McCray. He was fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT