• No I like the current set up how the teams are selected

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t really care either way

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

bella123

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2003
Since this has only come up every year at this time of the year for about the last decade, lets see what you think?

I'll add a comment on why I voted for the Yes option. And that is because the way the section playoffs/NorCal Bowls. With the changing formats year to year and teams shuffling around, games after the regular season really lack context. So with that, I would prefer to see the best matchups possible whenever I can get them.

For example, it would be great to see Serra-DLS part 2 plus a slew of better section playoff matchups.

Originally, this was the DLS rule to make sure NorCal's second-best team got into the bowl business and wasn't eliminated by the Spartans. DLS is not quite what it once was and several other programs have raised their game. So, yes, it's worth taking another look at a NorCal Open Division title contest.

The main problem is in the Open but it doesn't have to do with a play-in game. It will probably be illustrated on Nov. 25. And I'll take your answer off the air. Good night now.

Originally, this was the DLS rule to make sure NorCal's second-best team got into the bowl business and wasn't eliminated by the Spartans. DLS is not quite what it once was and several other programs have raised their game. So, yes, it's worth taking another look at a NorCal Open Division title contest.
This was a Panic Move by the SJS and very short sighted by the other Nor Cal Commissioners to agree to…..

There are only 2 possible years where DLS was “Unbeatable” by “The Second Best Team in Nor Cal”….. 2014 and 2015…..

And the 2014 Folsom team could have very well have beaten DLS so really there is only 2015 where no one had a chance….

The rest of the years DLS very well could have lost an Open Playoff game to a Nor Cal team, including what would have been an incredible re-match with Folsom in 2018…. ST Francis, Serra, DLS and Folsom have all proven that it is very difficult to beat the same team twice in the same season…. This happens every year with MD and SJB…..

And other than 2014 and 2018 there is no evidence that the second best team in nor Cal moved on…. The regionals were close and either team could have won….

The best thing that could happen this year would be for Serra to get Jobbed and have Clovis North selected for The Open…. Maybe then the section commissioners would be motivated to do the right thing and have the Nor Cal open Champ crowned on the field as opposed to a computer and Committee room…..

It makes sense in the north but the south already has a de facto play in game

Reactions: THEOC89
I am assuming this question is for NorCal…. No one is questioning what so cal does because their open champion is crowned on the field in SS D1…..

Under a playoff setup, the NorCal Open this year would pit Clovis North against Serra. Division I would pit DLS against Folsom. Correct? Also, another reason for the DLS rule is that SoCal is so deep in quality teams, many more than the North. SoCal can afford to eliminate some of its top units. NorCal, not so much.

Reactions: rabbit5
Under a playoff setup, the NorCal Open this year would pit Clovis North against Serra. Division I would pit DLS against Folsom. Correct? Also, another reason for the DLS rule is that SoCal is so deep in quality teams, many more than the North. SoCal can afford to eliminate some of its top units. NorCal, not so much.
That seems like it would be the likely Matchup….. CN vs Serra….

And so let’s say that Folsom vs DLS in D1AA…. Does it really matter who wins?…. The winner would play the winner of SSD2 (Servite vs Mission Viejo) or SD Open winner…. None of those teams are a mismatch for Folsom or DLS….

And Remember the Top 8-12 teams go in the SS D1 Bracket any year the top 7-10 SS teams are eliminated during the playoffs….

So the reality is the “2nd Best Team in Nor Cal” is playing the 9-13th best team in So Cal…. So it not really any kind of “State Championship” anyway….

So make it a real championship in Nor Cal and bring back the open play in and make it a relevant championship in Nor Cal like SSD1 is in So Cal…..

This is true that last few years for the south but generally one should make decisions that cover multi-year scenarios. You will hear fan screams of terror if the top SDS team has to climb through the current defacto Trinity team Open candidate.
The tide wave of an NorCal Open playoff game reinstatement seems to have surfaced because the same schools / fans that wanted to get to the state bowl games around the Sparta Force now think they have a fair chance of beating the current de facto Open selection of the last couple of years.

Jeez, make up your minds and stick with it.

Last edited:
Maybe it's time CIF set the same rules for both North and South.
Not sure what you mean here... CIF, via the vote of all section leaders, did set the rule for the Open division straight to SBG. Maybe you mean something else aside from the thread topic?

So make it a real championship in Nor Cal and bring back the open play in and make it a relevant championship in Nor Cal like SSD1 is in So Cal…..
Bringing back the Open play-in doesn't make for a real playoff championship. Only a true state playoff system, similar to Texas, make a real playoff system. Anything short of that is simply a committee selected bowl game - which it is now.

Reactions: bella123
Bringing back the Open play-in doesn't make for a real playoff championship. Only a true state playoff system, similar to Texas, make a real playoff system. Anything short of that is simply a committee selected bowl game - which it is now.
True…. I am all for a TX style playoff in CA but the Sections will never allow that….

But why should a Team be Chosen as The Nor Cal Open Champ when they don’t play a game for it?…. Every other Bowl game has a Regional playoff so why not the open….

After all, in CA we are claiming all these Bowl winners to be “State Champs” so if you are going to Crown someone you should have to at least earn it in the field…. Not from a Computer or Committee…..

There is no Valid reason to not have an Open Play in….Other then the fact that the Section Commissioners don’t want it….

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT