ADVERTISEMENT

SJS playoff divisions

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Pour yourself another cup of coffee, or better yet, have a shot of Don Julio handy ...

By referencing three separate documents and an email (and thanks to the SJS folks for cooperating), I think I have a clue -- but I could be wrong.

We'll start with this:

Qualifying for postseason depends on league finish, and except for a couple leagues, the top three teams move into the playoffs. (I don't know if the section determines tiebreakers or the leagues do.)

The Delta League gets its top four in, and the CCAA, NPAC and SFL (whatever those are) get two. Every other gets three.

But, as will be the case below, there are exceptions. Any team in the top 15 in its division according to the MaxPreps' computer will qualify as well, conceivably creating some outbracket games. Oh, but D5 and D6 teams have to be in the top 10 of the rankings.

With me so far?

So now there's a list of teams that qualify for postseason. We shift now to a list of SJS schools by enrollment. The top 16 qualified teams by enrollment are D1; the next 16 are D2; etc.

Seems simple enough, except:

1) SJS leagues are classified Division I, D-II, etc. Any league winner must play in the bracket of its league, regardless of where it would fall on the enrollment ladder.

2) Four notes:

a) SMS must be D-I
b) Del Oro, Modesto Christian and Sacramento must be no lower than D-II
c) Bradshaw Christian and Christian Brothers must be no lower than D-III
d) Capital Christian, Central Catholic and West Campus must be no lower than D-IV.

Actually, once you put all this together, it's a simple process of filling in the blanks -- but it can result in the difference of just a few students, or one, making a difference. West has an official enrollment of 2124, for example, and Inderkum is at 2019. In between those two are Tracy (2122), Woodcreek (2121) and St. Francis (2020), and the D-I and D-2 line could easily fall among that group.

So rather than clutter up the previous message with who in SJS might wind up where, here are some definite D-1 teams (because they are in the top 16 in enrollment among possible qualifiers (in rough ranking):

SMS
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Cosumnes Oaks
Lincoln (Stockton)
Davis
Pleasant Grove
Elk Grove

Bubble (winning a D1 league, though, moves them up)

Bear Creek

D2 (unless they are in a D1 league and win it)

Sacramento
Antelope
Del Oro
Granite Bay
Whitney

Bubble

Vanden

Presumably I've missed some teams, etc., so please amend as necessary. (It's too early for tequila, so it will have to be more coffee now ...)

Bear Creek's league is a D2 league so that doesnt impact their possible placement into D1. It is the actual amount of D1 teams with a higher enrollment than Bear Creek that make the playoffs. So last season, Bear Creek, St Francis and Lodi all dropped to D2 bracket because there were 16 teams (D1 bracket) that had higher enrollments than them. Azanna, it had nothing to do with records. It is based on enrollment.

The Delta League gets its top four in, and the CCAA, NPAC and SFL (whatever those are) get two. Every other gets three.
Isn't SFL Sierra Foothill League? only 2? weird.

SMS
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Cosumnes Oaks
Lincoln (Stockton)
Davis
Pleasant Grove
Elk Grove
Pleasant Grove won't make the playoffs. Franklin EG would be the 4th qualifier from Delta.

quick link to enrollments:
http://cifsjs.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19info/bkb-girls_divisions_1819.pdf

Isn't SFL Sierra Foothill League? only 2? weird.

Pleasant Grove won't make the playoffs. Franklin EG would be the 4th qualifier from Delta.

quick link to enrollments:
http://cifsjs.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19info/bkb-girls_divisions_1819.pdf
Yes. Only top 2 from Sierra Foothill League, BUT, the other criteria to qualify is the Top 15 teams in each division, in the SJS based on MaxPreps rankings. So last year, 4 out 5 Sierra Foothill League teams made the playoffs (only Rocklin didn't make it).

my point being that sfl should probably get more than 2 AQs, while other weaker leagues have 3

also, elk grove hs enrollment would put them squarely in D2

I don't think there has ever been any issue about who qualifies for the playoffs and what divisions they are placed in SJS. Most grumblings are about the SJS committee seedings of the teams in each division. Before competitive equity of NorCal playoffs, only the top 4 teams reaching semi-finals would qualify automatically for NorCals. So seeding was very important on who gets home court advantage in first and second round games and match-ups too.

here is what i've come up with for D1 and 2 (because this is better than work):

wasn't sure exactly how it works: so assumed all AQs by enrollment, take top 16, and second 16, then added in wild cards based on maxpreps division rankings to make potential outbrackets. (the alternative is to take ALL qualifiers, including wild cards, and then break up the 16, no outbrackets)

by enrollment:
D1
Lincoln (S)
Davis
Franklin (EG)
Turlock
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Enochs
Cosumnes Oaks
Monterey Trail
Pitman
Bear Creek
Woodcreek
Roseville
St. Marys

WildCard:
St. Francis: Delta #5, D1#14
Inderkum: CVC#4, D1#13

Wasn't sure if St. Mary's is part of TCAL's allotment of 3, so I assumed it was. If not, then Lincoln is league champ, and lodi gets the AQ, which bumps Roseville to D2.
Also, Lodi is tied with Modesto Chr, so they could get TCAL#3.

OakRidge (D1#6)and Whitney (D2#5) are fighting for SFL#2.

Kennedy (D1) and Grant (D2) is fighting Monterey Trail for Metro #3. MT (D1#12) is in. Grant (D2#15) is on the WC bubble. Kennedy needs the AQ.

Woodcreek and Inderkum fighting for CVC #3... both are in by ranking in D1.

D2 is where how you count the qualifiers matters, cuz a lot of wildcards sit in D2.
D2:
Vacaville
Lincoln (L)
McNair
Johansen
Atwater
Elk Grove
Antelope
Vista Del lago
Laguna Creek
Mira Loma
Wood
Sacramento
Modesto Chr
Cordova
Vanden
Merced

Wild Card:
Granite Bay: SFL#4, D2#7
Grant: Metro #3-5, D2#15
Whitney: SFL #3, D2#5
River Valley: CVC#5, D2#13
DelOro: SFL#5, D2#3

Vacaville and Rodriquez fighting for MEL #3, only 1 is in.

Something like that, as of todays rankings. League champ rule doesn't affect anyone, as all projected league champs will play in their enrollment. (except St. Marys)

The enrollment bubble changes if Kennedy and Lodi gets AQs, and with what happens St. Francis (WC bubble), Inderkum(WC and AQ bubble), Roseville (AQ), Granite Bay(WC), and Vacaville (AQ bubble)

El Capitan, Nevada Union, and East Union are at the top of D3 enrollment

So from your calculations, there is a good chance that Bear Creek would be in D1 then? That would make things interesting.
Because Brookside Christian doesn't have a program anymore, that adds 1 more team to the D1 pool. Also looks like Bear Creek enrollment went up this year and they are now above Woodcreek, West and Tracy. Hmmm, will be close.

The only schools above Bear Creek not listed, that can bump them down most likely are Kennedy and Lodi. Everyone else is either out or firmly in an AQ... So unless a 4-12 team goes on a 6 game winning streak, I don't see Bear Creek being lower than 15 in enrollment.

some big changes to the projections:

The big change is OakRidge and Monterey Trail dropping out of AQ status and being WC, which moves the cutline. Add that to VAcaville losing AQ status and needing it to make the playoffs, that moves Roseville (CVC#3), Lincoln (L)(FVC#3), and Grant (Metro#3) into D1.

Then the SFL only getting 2 AQs totally affects the number, assuming my method is correct. Instead of Oak Ridge and Whitney both getting AQs, only one gets it, and the other is a WC. So now Whitney is AQ in D2, while OR is WC in D1, which affects the cutline.

one could argue SFL should get 4 like the Delta, then Granite Bay (D2#6) would get a AQ as well.

I think that's how it would work. otherwise, there would be more than 16 teams per bracket if you include top 15, and how do you make the cutline and outbracket games???

so, my post from last week, with edited list:
wasn't sure exactly how it works: so assumed all AQs by enrollment, take top 16, and second 16, then added in wild cards based on maxpreps division rankings to make potential outbrackets. (the alternative is to take ALL qualifiers, including wild cards, and then break up the 16, no outbrackets)

by enrollment:
D1
Lincoln (S)
Davis
Franklin (EG)
Turlock
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Enochs
Cosumnes Oaks
Pitman
Bear Creek
Woodcreek
Roseville
Lincoln (L)
Grant
St. Marys

WildCard:
Oak Ridge SFL#3, D1#6
Monterey Trail Metro#4, D1#11
Inderkum: CVC#4, D1#13

Enochs and Gregori are tied for 3rd in CCAL. If Enochs wins (they are favored and have the better record and schedule), gregori is out. IF gregori gets the #3, then they would both be in.

Grant is in 3rd, with Kennedy and MT a game behind. Kennedy move. list reflects this change.

Wasn't sure if St. Mary's is part of TCAL's allotment of 3, so I assumed it was. If not, then Modesto Christian is league champ, and lodi gets the AQ Lodi is currently TCAL#4

OakRidge (D1#6)and Whitney (D2#4) are fighting for SFL#2.

Kennedy (D1) and Grant (D2) is fighting Monterey Trail for Metro #3. MT (D1#12) is in. Grant is sitting 3rd. Kennedy needs the AQ

D2:
McNair
Whitney
Rodriquez
Johansen
Atwater
Elk Grove
Antelope
Vista Del lago
Laguna Creek
Mira Loma
Wood
Sacramento
Modesto Chr
Cordova
Vanden
Merced

Wild Card:
Granite Bay: SFL#4, D2#6
River Valley: CVC#5, D2#15
DelOro: SFL#5, D2#3

Vacaville and Rodriquez fighting for MEL #3, only 1 is in.: UPDATE: Rodriquez and Wood tied for 2nd has 1 game lead for 3rd. Wood is in.

Something like that, as of todays rankings. League champ rule doesn't affect anyone, as all projected league champs will play in their enrollment. (except St. Marys)

El Capitan, Nevada Union, and East Union are at the top of D3 enrollment

Reactions: cptmycpa
missed this document, which outlines the format much more clearly:
http://www.cifsjs.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19info/basketballformat18-19.pdf

things that were wrong:
SFL indeed gets 4 AQs (not 2 that was displayed on the website)... they changed it on the website, and it's in the document above.

Looks like they will take ALL of the qualifying teams D1-4, and then split them into equal brackets. so if 66 teams qualify, it will be 17 team brackets.

Once all qualifying teams have been determined, bracket sizes will be determined.....
All schools with an enrollment larger than 600 that qualify for the tournament will be divided equally to form four like-sized brackets (if the number of qualifiers is not equally divisible by four, the first additional team will be added to Division I, then Division II and finally Division III). NOTE: There may be a slight variance from the initial Maxpreps list of schools used for ratings purposes and the final determination of divisions at the end of the season.

So, i looked through all of D1-4, and I think at the most it will be 17 team D1 and D2 brackets....
so, i'll just assume 16 teams, and the bubble teams for enrollment will go up and down a slot.

So, now I will rank all qualifiers by enrollment: (D1 and D2 only, cuz i only have so much time)
D1:
Lincoln (S)
Davis
Franklin (EG)
Turlock
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Enochs/Gregori
Cosumnes Oaks
Monterey Trail (WC)
Pitman
Bear Creek
Woodcreek
St Francis (WC #14)
St. Marys

In D1, I see only St. Francis as the true Bubble team to make the playoffs that would affect enrollment. They fluctuate btwn 14-16, They are 2 1/2 games behind EG (Franklin/Sheldon) for the 4th AQ. They should win their next 2 games against #20 and #25, then they play against Davis, who they already lost to.

Enochs and Gregori are fighting for 3rd place, and only 1 gets in, both D1

Everyone else is a lock

D2
Inderkum (WC, D1 ranked #12: so if numbers hold up, Indy goes D2 even though they are D1 ranked by Maxpreps? I think so.)
Roseville
Granite Bay
Lincoln (L)
Grant
McNair
Whitney
Rodriquez
River Valley (WC D2#15)
Atwater
Elk Grove
Antelope
Vista Del lago
Del Oro (WC)
Sacramento
Modesto Chr

River Valley might not make the playoffs. They won't get an AQ, and they play Woodcreek and Antelope to close out the season, who they already lost big to both.

1 school bigger than RV is Ponderosa: D2#17, and has games against Placer (8-0, already lost) and Oakmont (0-8, already won)... They are 1 game behind Lincoln (L) for 3rd place (NevadaUnion,Placer)

top enrollment of D3
Laguna Creek
Mira Loma
Wood
Cordova
Vanden
Merced

I would think Laguna Creek really wants to be D3. So if there are 17+ Team brackets, they go D2

If 16 team brackets:
If River Valley or St. Francis drops out, they are D2
If Ponderosa makes it with 16 team D1/2 brackets, they are D3.

So for Laguna Creek to go D3, they need 16 team brackets AND they need 2 of RV/SF/Pondo to make it

Reactions: basketba11
Main updates from Friday:
St. Francis in all likelihood will not get to 4th place and the AQ that comes with it. So a 2-0 finish would help. They will finish 1-1 at worst, with the assumed loss coming against #10 Davis. Will that be enough to not drop 2 spots? #15 Edison will finish 2-0, 2nd place SJAA, and #16 Enochs will need to hold off #23 Gregori for 3rd place in the CCAL.

There is a chance that Vacaville can make the playoffs... which would put them in D2. There could be a 3 way tie for 2nd/3rd.. Wood is in. Rodriquez is ranked #16. Vacaville would need to beat both of them this week to have a chance.
So Tues is Vaca/Rodriquez. If Vacaville loses, they are likely out. If they win, and Wood beats 1-7 Fairfield, then....
Thursday: Vaca/Wood, Rodriquez/Vanden (8-0)
Vacaville wins and Rod loses leads to the 3 way tie.

So that gives Laguna Creek another school to bump them down to D3.

So if 16 team brackets, AND 2 of the 4 make it: SF, RV, Vacaville/Pondo...

Worst case: if 17 team brackets, and 0 of 4 make it:
LC, MiraLoma, Wood, and Cordova are D2.

Main updates from Friday:
St. Francis in all likelihood will not get to 4th place and the AQ that comes with it. So a 2-0 finish would help. They will finish 1-1 at worst, with the assumed loss coming against #10 Davis. Will that be enough to not drop 2 spots? #15 Edison will finish 2-0, 2nd place SJAA, and #16 Enochs will need to hold off #23 Gregori for 3rd place in the CCAL.

There is a chance that Vacaville can make the playoffs... which would put them in D2. There could be a 3 way tie for 2nd/3rd.. Wood is in. Rodriquez is ranked #16. Vacaville would need to beat both of them this week to have a chance.
So Tues is Vaca/Rodriquez. If Vacaville loses, they are likely out. If they win, and Wood beats 1-7 Fairfield, then....
Thursday: Vaca/Wood, Rodriquez/Vanden (8-0)
Vacaville wins and Rod loses leads to the 3 way tie.

So that gives Laguna Creek another school to bump them down to D3.

So if 16 team brackets, AND 2 of the 4 make it: SF, RV, Vacaville/Pondo...

Worst case: if 17 team brackets, and 0 of 4 make it:
LC, MiraLoma, Wood, and Cordova are D2.
Hopefully you are on the SJS Committee. if not, someone needs to hire you right away. LOL.

Hopefully you are on the SJS Committee. if not, someone needs to hire you right away. LOL.
and incur the wrath of this forum with seeding choices????? no thanks..... i don't know which is worse, seeding committee or basketball official.

this is easy.. just 6th grade math and time to predict who gets in. seeding them is a whole different beast.

though I will say this: i've seen Bear Creek once, most of the Delta league, Folsom one game where gallegos was in foul trouble the whole game, one half of mcclatchy getting blown out, and a few st. mary's games. I really don't know how the top 4 will be seeded.

I think CO will be 5, that much I know, assuming they win out (Franklin, pleasant grove), given their PG injury, is no gimme... Franklin has a few athletes.

no one stands out. D1 to me is the widest open it's ever been in the SMS era.

and incur the wrath of this forum with seeding choices????? no thanks..... i don't know which is worse, seeding committee or basketball official.

this is easy.. just 6th grade math and time to predict who gets in. seeding them is a whole different beast.

though I will say this: i've seen Bear Creek once, most of the Delta league, Folsom one game where gallegos was in foul trouble the whole game, one half of mcclatchy getting blown out, and a few st. mary's games. I really don't know how the top 4 will be seeded.

I think CO will be 5, that much I know, assuming they win out (Franklin, pleasant grove), given their PG injury, is no gimme... Franklin has a few athletes.

no one stands out. D1 to me is the widest open it's ever been in the SMS era.
Basketball official is definitely worse! Wouldn't want to deal with all those crazy parents out there.
Yes, I agree that the seedings is a bit more difficult. Yes, most likely I see CO as 5 too, too bad about the injury to the PG, another ACL injury in girls basketball, just crazy! Franklin should give them a challenge this week.
As far as the top 4, Bear Creek beat Folsom head to head, and Folsom beat McClatchy head to head. But where does SMS go is the question. In MaxPreps, they show SMS behind Folsom and McClatchy so I am thinking:
1. Bear Creek
2. Folsom
3. McClatchy
4. St Mary's
5. CO
6. Oak Ridge
7. Franklin
8. Lincoln-Stockton

Basketball official is definitely worse! Wouldn't want to deal with all those crazy parents out there.
Yes, I agree that the seedings is a bit more difficult. Yes, most likely I see CO as 5 too, too bad about the injury to the PG, another ACL injury in girls basketball, just crazy! Franklin should give them a challenge this week.
As far as the top 4, Bear Creek beat Folsom head to head, and Folsom beat McClatchy head to head. But where does SMS go is the question. In MaxPreps, they show SMS behind Folsom and McClatchy so I am thinking:
1. Bear Creek
2. Folsom
3. McClatchy
4. St Mary's
5. CO
6. Oak Ridge
7. Franklin
8. Lincoln-Stockton
I have been critical of SM Stockton and even put them 4 or 5 in the section. However, my rankings are about as credible as Paytc SOS ranking which we have yet to see. No way SMS is going to be 4th.

1. SM Stockton
2. Bear Creek
3. Folsom
4. McClatchy
5. CO
6. Oakridge
7. Lincoln
8. Franklin

I have been critical of SM Stockton and even put them 4 or 5 in the section. However, my rankings are about as credible as Paytc SOS ranking which we have yet to see. No way SMS is going to be 4th.

1. SM Stockton
2. Bear Creek
3. Folsom
4. McClatchy
5. CO
6. Oakridge
7. Lincoln
8. Franklin
This is a definite possibility straightline....I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

St Mary's with a nail-biter last night. 61-60 over West Campus. Anyone at the game that can give us some insight to how this game played out? West Campus has played 2 tight games in their losses to Folsom too. Coach Langston doing an incredible job with his team this season, they play HARD and COMPETE every game which is a credit to the coach.

Reactions: TigerStancil
St Mary's with a nail-biter last night. 61-60 over West Campus. Anyone at the game that can give us some insight to how this game played out? West Campus has played 2 tight games in their losses to Folsom too. Coach Langston doing an incredible job with his team this season, they play HARD and COMPETE every game which is a credit to the coach.
SMS was up 18 at half. I left and then I was told they only won by one. I heard SMS missed 12 free throws in the 4th, which is a little surprising because usually they are a good free throw shooting team. But , good win anyway .

1. BC ( beat Folsom by 20, CO by 27, Only reason not higher is because of League that drops SOS dramatically).

2. SMS - Tough SOS and a few quailty wins gets them 2 Seed.

3. Folsom - Big loss to BC drops them from 1 and Head to Head of MCK

4. McClatchy - No Big Win but some Key big losses including to Folsom.

5. OakRidge - Quality Schedule didnt win lg

6. CO - Loss to BC hurts there there top 4 seed.

7. Edison - SOS hurts them because of their LG. 2 Big Losses to BC. Wins vs Vanden Help Lincoln lost to vanden, and wins vs turlock and Pitman puts them at least 10.

8. Franklin (EG) - Inconsisten and lossess to Elk Grove late in season and a Blowout to CO with 4 League losses.

9. Lincoln - NOT one good win on schedule. Lost recently to Modesto Christian drops them.

10. Woodcreek - Finish 9-3 2nd in LG.

1. BC ( beat Folsom by 20, CO by 27, Only reason not higher is because of League that drops SOS dramatically).

7. Edison - SOS hurts them because of their LG. 2 Big Losses to BC. Wins vs Vanden Help Lincoln lost to vanden, and wins vs turlock and Pitman puts them at least 10.

8. Franklin (EG) - Inconsisten and lossess to Elk Grove late in season and a Blowout to CO with 4 League losses.

9. Lincoln - NOT one good win on schedule. Lost recently to Modesto Christian drops them.

I could see this scenario too with SMS getting 2 seed and home court. This would make sense. And would be some good matchups here. Folsom vs CO and McClatchy vs Oak Ridge (have played each other in playoffs 5 times in last 4 years) pop out to me as possible upset games. And then Folsom at SMS and McClatchy at Bear Creek matchups for semi-finals could go either way in my opinion. Too bad the semi-finals arent played on neutral court any longer, is money the reason why semis are no longer played on neutral court?

i was very impressed with their defense. They lack size but compete like hell.

Reactions: HoopGuy03

Franklin is tricky team to figure out. Don't sleep on them pulling a post season upset.

Lincoln has a few talented bigs but are a year away

Reactions: HoopGuy03
McClatchy currently sits at #2 on the Max Preps section Rankings ahead of Bear Creek and and SMS. Do you think they fall to 4 seed in the SJS playoff seeding?

McClatchy currently sits at #2 on the Max Preps section Rankings ahead of Bear Creek and and SMS. Do you think they fall to 4 seed in the SJS playoff seeding?
Usually the SJS Committee will take into account head to head wins/losses when doing their seeding (see last year D1 seedings Edison/McClatchy). Bear Creek beat Folsom, and Folsom beat McClatchy. St. Mary's is kind of the wild card. Their SOS is higher than all of these teams. And they have dominated the SJS Section, they have won the SJS Section Championships for the last 11 years straight (D1 and D2). I guess we will have to wait and see where St Marys gets inserted (1, 2, 3 or 4), but I would think that these 3 would be:

Bear Creek
Folsom
McClatchy

Reactions: CoachDViks
2/6, Wednesday update:
At Del Oro, Final score reported by R. Neal
Del Oro 48, Folsom 32

SMS was up 18 at half. I left and then I was told they only won by one. I heard SMS missed 12 free throws in the 4th, which is a little surprising because usually they are a good free throw shooting team. But , good win anyway .
As Passionatedad stated SMS was up by 18 at the half. Second half their outside shots quit dropping and Wests did. West played good defense and was tough on the boards. I don't remember them missing one outside shot in the second half. For the game they hit 50% from three and only 13% from two's. West made a very gutty comeback.

The box score indicates that Del Oro was up 18-4 after Q1. Since Folsom already won the league championship, it's likely that Folsom rested their key players, but I wasn't at the game. Folsom plays at Oak Ridge on Friday, but nothing much at stake.

If the sole goal is the league championship, makes sense ...

But we're also talking seeding, both in SJS and NorCals. NorCal D1 is going to be very, very competitive from 1 through 16, and going on the road for one or two games makes a tough task even tougher.

On Maxpreps, West Campus has now forfeited their first 4 wins of the season. Instead of 14-10, now 10-14. Anyone know details about this?

The box score indicates that Del Oro was up 18-4 after Q1. Since Folsom already won the league championship, it's likely that Folsom rested their key players, but I wasn't at the game. Folsom plays at Oak Ridge on Friday, but nothing much at stake.

Conspiracy theorists (like the ones on here) might think they wanted to make sure they didn’t get selected to the Open.

If the sole goal is the league championship, makes sense ...

But we're also talking seeding, both in SJS and NorCals. NorCal D1 is going to be very, very competitive from 1 through 16, and going on the road for one or two games makes a tough task even tougher.
I don't think Folsom would 'rest starters'.... They want a top 2 seed. EVERYONE in the D1 bracket is smelling blood and probably sees this as a one year window to win the section. Surely, SMS will have something to say about that... But I would bet the house that BC, Folsom, and McClatchy are thinking section championship is realistic this year, especially after seeing the West Campus score; whereas, in the past 10+ years, they had an "anything can happen" attitude. And a road game in the semis would be a major disincentive to 'rest starters'.

And, I'm also guessing that they are all afraid SMS will be back to 'section unbeatable' next year. This is their window.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT