ADVERTISEMENT

SJS playoff divisions

SMS will be #1
So if SMS #1 and Bear Creek #2, will home court advantage be a big difference maker for these top seeds in the semi-finals? If McClatchy has to travel to SMS and Folsom has to travel to Bear Creek, who will have the tougher game? Interested in hearing the responses of those out there with knowledge of these teams and the match-ups that would be involved.

So if SMS #1 and Bear Creek #2, will home court advantage be a big difference maker for these top seeds in the semi-finals? If McClatchy has to travel to SMS and Folsom has to travel to Bear Creek, who will have the tougher game? Interested in hearing the responses of those out there with knowledge of these teams and the match-ups that would be involved.
I think Folsom just played their way into a 4-5 seed. 2 weeks ago they were a #1.
1. SMS
2. Bear Creek
3. McClatchy
4. Folsom

I think Folsom just played their way into a 4-5 seed. 2 weeks ago they were a #1.
1. SMS
2. Bear Creek
3. McClatchy
4. Folsom
straightline, so which would be tougher for Folsom/McClatchy...playing at SMS or playing at Bear Creek? I still think Folsom will probably get higher seed than McClatchy because of head to head. Right CoachDViks? Bear Creek really relies on a lot more 3 pointers than SMS, so home court advantage is very important for them (most teams shoot better at home).

IMO, I think Folsom matches up better with SMS and McClatchy matches up better with Bear Creek. Folsom and SMS both have size and play more of slower style. Bear Creek and McClatchy both play more uptempo, shoot more 3's and tough pressure defense to create turnovers and get transition layups. Folsom might have trouble with Bear Creek...if they stay in a zone, Bear Creek will hit 3's all day. McClatchy would have trouble with St Mary's size and 2-2-1 press. It could definitely come down to match-ups this year.

Reactions: cptmycpa
straightline, so which would be tougher for Folsom/McClatchy...playing at SMS or playing at Bear Creek? I still think Folsom will probably get higher seed than McClatchy because of head to head. Right CoachDViks? Bear Creek really relies on a lot more 3 pointers than SMS, so home court advantage is very important for them (most teams shoot better at home).
Both Folsom and McClatchy are bad matchups for Bear Creek in my opinion. I know BC already beat Folsom and would likely be favorites again. While I think BC is better than SMS even though I feel SMS will get the #1 seed if I am Folsom or McClatchy I want to play Bear Creek. Strange I know. I am predicting McClatchy and SMS in the final.

Thursday, 2/7:
Lincoln of Stockton 58
St. Mary's, Stockton 47

Wow! Will this change SJS D1 playoff seedings?

Reactions: basketba11
Wow, how about a monkey wrench? Lincoln over St Mary’s last night 58-47 at SMS gym. Wow, that is a surprise. Letdown by SMS in rivalry game? Can’t remember last time Lincoln has upset SMS.

It seems to me that loss pretty much knocks SMS out of the top spot, and likely, given the MaxPreps rankings, down to No. 3 or conceivably No. 4.

Then again, the difference between 3 and 4 is minimal, as it essentially means a road game against either McClatchy or Folsom (assuming SJS doesn't bump Bear Creek into one of those spots).

Of course, the fact that SMS lost at home to the team the computer has eighth in SJS D-1 may mean that just getting to that semifinal game might be harder for SMS than we think.

Reactions: TigerStancil
No matter what I think that this years brackets will have some upsets more than any. i dont think D1-D3 will have many 1,2,3,4 seeds in the semis as it has been in previous brackets.

I don't think Folsom would 'rest starters'.... They want a top 2 seed. EVERYONE in the D1 bracket is smelling blood and probably sees this as a one year window to win the section. Surely, SMS will have something to say about that... But I would bet the house that BC, Folsom, and McClatchy are thinking section championship is realistic this year, especially after seeing the West Campus score; whereas, in the past 10+ years, they had an "anything can happen" attitude. And a road game in the semis would be a major disincentive to 'rest starters'.

And, I'm also guessing that they are all afraid SMS will be back to 'section unbeatable' next year. This is their window.

I'll agree that the window is partially open but SMS is the bully on the block. I'll strongly disagree that anyone is afraid that this is a one year window. This section will be competitve for the next 6 years.

D1/D2 Update, with one more night of games:
Vacaville is out
Enochs is in
St. Francis lost to Davis last night. As of Maxpreps rankings dated 2/8, is holding steady at #14. So it looks like they are in.
River Valley dropped to #16... my guess is they don't move up. so they are out.

Ponderosa is 1/2 game out of 3rd place. They are steady at #17, so I don't think they will make WC status. 3rd place Lincoln plays 2nd place Nevada Union tonight(NU won by 11 in the 1st meeting). Lincoln is at #12, so they are in. If they lose, Pondo and Lincoln split. I don't know the tiebreaker.

If there are 16 team brackets... if Pondo makes it, Laguna Creek is D3. If not, LC is D2.

if 65 teams make the playoffs, LC is D2, Inderkum will be D1. (Because the first outbracket game will go to D1, which bumps everyone up a spot) I think LC will be D2.

D1:
Lincoln (S)
Davis
Franklin (EG)
Turlock
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Enochs
Cosumnes Oaks
Monterey Trail (WC)
Pitman
Bear Creek
Woodcreek
St Francis (WC #14)
St. Marys

D2
Inderkum (WC, D1 ranked #12)
Roseville
Granite Bay
Lincoln (L)
Grant
McNair
Whitney
Rodriquez
Atwater
Elk Grove
Antelope
Vista Del lago
Laguna Creek
Del Oro (WC)
Sacramento
Modesto Chr

going on to D3/D4 qualifiers, by enrollment

D3
Mira Loma
Wood
Cordova
Vanden
Merced
El Capitan
Nevada Union
East Union
Beyer
Manteca
Valley
Pioneer
Kimball
Lathrop
Christian Bros
Bradshaw Chr

Valley and Natomas fighting for 3rd. Natomas a game back. only 1 gets in, and Natomas would be square in D4.

D4
Los Banos
Center
Placer
Livingston
Liberty Ranch (WC #12)
Mountain House (WC #14)
El Dorado
Union Mine
Dixon
Venture Academy
Sonora
RIpon
Calaveras
West Campus
Highlands
Hughson (WC #13)
Bear River
Colfax
Capital Chr
Central Catholic

so as of now, there are 66 teams.
Bubble teams include Ponderosa(D2) , Bret Harte(D4), and one of Valley(D3)/Natomas (D4)

so here you go... the playoff field, plus maybe Pondo and Bret Harte. If 1 makes it, Roseville goes D1. If only Bret Harte makes it, it bumps up the bubble enrollment D1-4. If both make it, D2 will also have 18 team bracket, and bumps accordingly. and then the valley/natomas possibility affects the D34 brackets. I think i got it all.

D1:
Lincoln (S)
Davis
Franklin (EG)
Turlock
Oak Ridge
Edison
McClatchy
Folsom
Enochs
Cosumnes Oaks
Monterey Trail (WC#12)
Pitman
Bear Creek
Woodcreek
St Francis (WC #14)
Inderkum (WC #13)
St. Marys (D1)

D2
Roseville
Granite Bay (WC#6)
Lincoln (L)
Grant
McNair
Whitney
Rodriquez
Atwater
Elk Grove
Antelope
Vista Del lago
Laguna Creek
Mira Loma
Del Oro (D2)
Vanden (D2)
Sacramento (D2)
Modesto Chr (D2)

D3
Wood
Cordova
Merced
El Capitan
Nevada Union
East Union
Beyer
Manteca
Valley
Pioneer
Kimball
Lathrop
Los Banos
Center
Christian Bros (D3)
West Campus (D3)
Bradshaw Chr (D3)

D4
Placer
Livingston
Liberty Ranch (WC #12)
Mountain House (WC #14)
El Dorado
Union Mine
Dixon
Venture Academy
Sonora
RIpon
Calaveras
Highlands
Hughson (WC #13)
Bear River
Colfax
Capital Chr (D4)
Central Catholic (D4)

Last edited:
Vanden is D2, hasnt been D3 since 15, and if not mistaken West Campus will be D3. History of success.

Vanden is D2, hasnt been D3 since 15, and if not mistaken West Campus will be D3. History of success.
You are right on Vanden. If they don't make the semis this year, which given the strength of D2, is a possibility, they would be eligible to drop back to D3 next year.

As far as West Campus, they were eligible to move to D3 under the success rule last year, but were kept in D4, which they won their 2nd title in a row. They are obviously eligible this year.. but it's not mandatory yet. the last 5 years are: champs, champs, 2nd, semis, 2nd...with D4 and D3 state championships the last 2 yrs.... they should move up this year... will they?

let's move them up.

list edited

WC is 3 time D4 section winner. Thats automatic move up in SJS.
the rule is 3 in a row.
(c) Three in a Row. Schools that win three championships in a row will be moved up one division. If that school wins again the following year at its new level, it will be moved again to the next higher level. Otherwise, the school will remain in that division until it wins three more in a row (moved up one more division).
(d) Continued Success. If a school has maintained continued success over several years but has not won three straight Section titles, the Section Commissioner (in consultation with the Executive Committee) may recommend to the board that a school be moved to a higher division. Continued success may include, but not be limited to, the following: * Section semifinalist or finalist for four or more years in a row with at least one Section title; or * Four Section titles in a span of six years. i. After a school has been moved to a level above its enrollment because of the three in a row rule or the continued success rule, that school may be moved down one level if the following occurs: a. The school misses the playoffs in any year; or b. The school fails to reach the semifinals in two consecutive years.

Friday night result, 2/8 Final:
Oak Ridge 40
Folsom 30
Senior night at Oak Ridge. Gives Folsom with six losses; lost last two league games. Means McClatchy will be #1 in next MaxPreps SJS D1 ranking. McClatchy's head-to-head loss to Folsom was only the 4th game of the season, over two months ago, and only a 2 point loss. In common opponents after that 2 point loss, McClatchy was 2-0, wheras Folsom was 0-2 at the So. Cal. Holiday Prep Classic in San Diego. Will the SJS seeding committee consider that?

Correct, I was at that game Pico did a heck of a job. McDonald was unstoppable and currently #2 in the country in scoring.

West Campus is staying D4. For some reason SJS doesn’t want to move them up.

I thought they would go open in state last year and ended up in D3. I fully expect them to win the D5 State championship this year.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Really hoping Edison can pull the upset over Lincoln. That sets up a rematch to last years post season game vs McClatchy but this time they come to us.

I’m wishing for a West Campus/Colfax section final at Golden 1. Colfax, D5 section champ last year starts 4 sophomores and 1 junior. This could be a great matchup for a couple years.

Reactions: Paytc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT