ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Playoff Games 2/12

Facts:
Maile Williams 2018-19 season:

1. More turnovers than assists and rebounds combined. (97 turnovers, highest for the team)
2. Took 483 shots for the season - more than twice the next highest on the team. 483>241
3. Pass First point guard with only 1.4 app - in fact her worst varsity season - had previously recorded 1.8 apg at Elk Grove and Inderkum. Only totaled 34 assists in 25 games....

(All facts posted from MaxPreps)

If college coaches really are "packing the stands" at Capital Christian games then they really aren't seeing much are they? Also only ranked as a 2 star prospect by this site.
Sticcman is right about a lot of things.....

Hey guys I’ve got no dog in this race but I think we can do better than trashing the young ladies. Don’t know her nor her dad. Just my two cents
I agree. The dad is fair game, especially coming on here with HYPE. But the player is doing her best, and has a lot to deal with. Parental expectations can cause a lot of stress, especially when you're young.

Reactions: Pbacoach and Paytc
Generally I try to stay positive and mostly read rather then post. I enjoy everyone’s insight on this forum and the football forum. Started following this two years ago. I agree that we should celebrate what’s great about girls b-ball and high school sports in general and stay away from bashing others.

With that said, I’m a homer for a little school called Colfax. Not one most of you would watch because most of you focus on bigger schools and the higher level AAU clubs. But if the opportunity arises and this team makes it to Golden 1 for section final, check them out.

They are so small but scrappy and intense. The two players I most enjoy watching is their point guard Lundberg and their 3, Bliss. The latter is really athletic and talented and may get some D2 looks. The pt guard is 5ft nothing but sees the court so well and is a lock down defender. They all run up and down the court and show a ton of different defensive looks but primarily man and press hard.

They are a joy to watch and are really unselfish. They may play West Campus in finals and might not have the horses to beat them but the old timers are telling me this is the best Colfax team they’ve ever seen and the program has won two state championships.

I’m just a lucky old guy that fell in love with this school a few years back.

Agree, Grace Bliss is a stud- and a 3 sport athlete with great grades. I hope college coaches are packing the stands at Colfax. Definitely a contender for Sac First team.

Generally I try to stay positive and mostly read rather then post. I enjoy everyone’s insight on this forum and the football forum. Started following this two years ago. I agree that we should celebrate what’s great about girls b-ball and high school sports in general and stay away from bashing others.

With that said, I’m a homer for a little school called Colfax. Not one most of you would watch because most of you focus on bigger schools and the higher level AAU clubs. But if the opportunity arises and this team makes it to Golden 1 for section final, check them out.

They are so small but scrappy and intense. The two players I most enjoy watching is their point guard Lundberg and their 3, Bliss. The latter is really athletic and talented and may get some D2 looks. The pt guard is 5ft nothing but sees the court so well and is a lock down defender. They all run up and down the court and show a ton of different defensive looks but primarily man and press hard.

They are a joy to watch and are really unselfish. They may play West Campus in finals and might not have the horses to beat them but the old timers are telling me this is the best Colfax team they’ve ever seen and the program has won two state championships.

Thanks for the insights. I’ll look out for them

I believe the entire starting five are all 3 sport athletes. Apparently, this is a value celebrated at Colfax that all student/athletes play multiple sports. I know the boys b-ball team had 10 of the 13 playing on the football team.

Best of luck to Colfax. A matchup with West Campus would be a very interesting game. It would be nice to see a new team win the D4 SJS.

Anyone have the St Mary’s vs CO Game?
St. Mary's 58, Cosumnes Oaks 38.

Huge game next Tuesday, 2/19:
#3 St. Mary's at #2 McClatchy
I want to go see that game. I don't think St. Mary's has ever visited McClatchy's gym. Should be a great game. Nice win for McClatchy over Lincoln tonight.

I believe the entire starting five are all 3 sport athletes. Apparently, this is a value celebrated at Colfax that all student/athletes play multiple sports. I know the boys b-ball team had 10 of the 13 playing on the football team.

The small schools always seem to have more multi sport athletes. I would guess its because they just don't have the students to fill out all the sports teams otherwise. I'm all for playing multi sports also. You only have 1 HS experience and you may as well enjoy the ride and do as much as you can.

I want to go see that game. I don't think St. Mary's has ever visited McClatchy's gym. Should be a great game. Nice win for McClatchy over Lincoln tonight.

That's a MONSTER game!!! I may have to make the trek over from Sonoma county to watch it.

Reactions: TigerStancil
The small schools always seem to have more multi sport athletes. I would guess its because they just don't have the students to fill out all the sports teams otherwise. I'm all for playing multi sports also. You only have 1 HS experience and you may as well enjoy the ride and do as much as you can.
Very true and I know the Colfax admin and staff really emphasize it. The coaches are on board and cooperate with one another. With club soccer, volleyball and basketball, coaches have to communicate.

Colfax 54-30 over Dixon and play Union Mine next. West Campus beat Ripon by 11.

Correct they’ve never been to McClatchy. That house should be rocking on Tuesday! Won’t be sleeping much over the next 4 days

Facts:
Maile Williams 2018-19 season:

1. More turnovers than assists and rebounds combined. (97 turnovers, highest for the team)
2. Took 483 shots for the season - more than twice the next highest on the team. 483>241
3. Pass First point guard with only 1.4 app - in fact her worst varsity season - had previously recorded 1.8 apg at Elk Grove and Inderkum. Only totaled 34 assists in 25 games....

(All facts posted from MaxPreps)

If college coaches really are "packing the stands" at Capital Christian games then they really aren't seeing much are they? Also only ranked as a 2 star prospect by this site.
Sticcman is right about a lot of things.....
No we learned you and “sticcman” are 2 peas in a pod of Debbie downers. Congratulations you can read! Steph Curry was a 2 star and your point? I support all these kids. Haters come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Not my kid but I’m sticking up for the kid like all kids!

Last edited:
No we learned you and “sticcman” are 2 peas in a pod of Debbie downers. Congratulations you can read! Steph Curry was a 2 star and your point? I support all these kids. Haters come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Not my kid but I’m sticking up for the kid like all kids!

Thought I'd pop back in because you guys have a great board going and saw this insanity. Seems appropriate to respond again, since there's so much to respond to. It's obvious to anyone that all of these praising profiles are the same person. So again, some sage advice for the person behind all of the screen names who claims not to be the same person.

Steph Curry was a 3 star recruit who looked like a 14 year old as a senior. He was 6'3, 160 and didn't pass the eyeball test to most coaches, hence the lack of offers. On this site, your kid is currently a 0 star. There is no comparison.

Since no one has given you a heads up on how recruiting goes, let's get into that. This needs to be said and understood completely: If your child does not have a written scholarship offer to a school that, if you called the coach up right now and said "I'm committing" and they accept the commitment, then you have nothing. Any offer that isn't followed up by a written scholarship offer or NLOI documents on signing day is worthless. A junior without an actionable offer for D1, D2, or NAIA or schools vetting them academically for official visits at this point is behind the curve.

Seeing D1 coaches in the gym is meaningless unless your kid has an offer from them. D1 coaches almost never come to HS games to scout. They are there to show their recruiting target that their school is interested, hence the total school outfit that the recruit can't miss. A D2, D3, or NAIA coach? They're looking, but even then, they most likely have a specific kid they came to see.

Does the rare late D1 offer happen? Yes. But from my experience, those are usually given to kids who have played on the top team for a Nike EYBL or Adidas Gauntlet club. The reason that those kids get the late look is because they have their club director advocating for them to boost the profile of the club. From what I've read, you've burned a lot of those bridges. Not good.

Being the scoring leader in league isn't a thing that matters. It will probably get a kid a nod as first team all league, but that's it. There is no patch for it. The only two league awards that matter are league champion and league MVP, and to get the latter, you have to get the former. As you will find out soon enough, high school accolades mean nothing in college.

Also, pointing out stats isn't hating. Stats are cold, hard proof of how the game/year went for a player. Your kid had a 1:3 assist/turnover ratio and on average, went 6 for 19 from the field each game. Haley Jones had 2 career games where she only hit 1 FG, and one where she hit 0. Aquira Decosta has 3 career games with 1 FG and one with 0. I'm not hating by stating that any of that. I'm saying facts.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is to cut it out ASAP. You're leaving a digital trail as wide as the Mississippi that points to a problematic parent. That's the type of thing that will make the vast majority of coaches at all college levels back off, no matter how talented the kid. It's happened before, and you most definitely don't want to be the reason it happens again.

Some years ago I sat next to a scout for a national rating service and took that opportunity to glean his knowledge in respects to what scouts look for. I found it interesting that he also pointed out a problem parent who's kid was in the game and this parents actions were not even that obvious. The player he was scouting was not even on the same team, but he already knew about this parent by reputation before he even came into the gym. Parents need to realize that their actions do impact the recruiting of their children. Common Sense was correct in pointing out the negative effect a parent can have on recruiting. I heard the same directly from the horses mouth.

I heard the same directly from the horses mouth.
That's a scouting service, not the horses mouth.. however the horses (college coaches) will tell you similar things. You have to remember that a coach's livelihood/ career/ income/ etc. depends on these kids and their performance. There is more than enough to worry about on a daily basis in a college lockeroom that a coach doesn't need to deal with unnecessary drama from the outside. Will kids with baggage still get recruited? Of course, but in spite of (not because of) parents like that. And on another note, that's where the multiple transfers raises a red flag for college coaches. They want someone who has their back through the tough times. Could be a rebuilding period, injury, or simply trusting in the process of earning minutes behind older, better players. A coach isn't going to want someone who has a history of fleeing at the first sign of adversity. Parents have to realize that everything that happens around a kid is a direct reflection of that kid from the outside looking in. While I am not the horse, I have talked with multiple college coaches on this subject at length.

Some years ago I sat next to a scout for a national rating service and took that opportunity to glean his knowledge in respects to what scouts look for. I found it interesting that he also pointed out a problem parent who's kid was in the game and this parents actions were not even that obvious. The player he was scouting was not even on the same team, but he already knew about this parent by reputation before he even came into the gym. Parents need to realize that their actions do impact the recruiting of their children. Common Sense was correct in pointing out the negative effect a parent can have on recruiting. I heard the same directly from the horses mouth.

If only I could tell you some of the stories I have of where parents have screwed their kids over with their own actions without revealing who I am and embarrassing the people involved. The oblivious nature of the parents would just make you shake your head.

Edit: if you're wondering why I don't just make up names for the people in the stories, the overall stories have situations are so specific that anyone who does a little sleuthing online could figure out all of the people involved.

Last edited:
This is a funny topic because the parent involvement today is so different than 10-20 years ago. There are so many very talented kids out there in which we all see their crazy parents. Parents have so much more invested in their kids nowadays. They spend so much money and time these days with AAU, training, workouts, etc. If a kid is good enough to play college ball, then most likely a college coach will take a chance on them regardless of what they see from the parents. Many times, I see a parent that is just a totally different person away from the court than when they are at the court watching or coaching their kid. College coaches are paid a lot of money these days and there is a lot at stake to win. If a kid is good enough to help a coach win and keep his job, there could be a good chance that they will still sign a kid regardless of the parents.

Reactions: Pbacoach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT