ADVERTISEMENT

Small Town Schools Twenty miles away host SBG!!

M.C. fan

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2022
Trans Valley League Host Two Games with-in 20 miles of each other. Escalon Cougars will have tri-tip, hot chocolate and some Fans in the House come Friday. Northwood Timberwolves will drive from (369 miles away) Irvine, leaving the warmer climate of Orange County will feel right at home enjoying the fragrances of the Escalon Dairies. Northwood did get some flavor last week in Delano, so perhaps an appreciation is forming. Escalon will be cold, damp even muddy as the kickoff awaits to bring back another Small-School State Championship to a hard nose, dedicated community of Football. Northwood may enjoy the scenery as a new experience gazing out in the Valley Farms driving up the 5 and seeing how Country folks live, not sure the long drive home will be as colorful. Escalon community will feed you excellent cuisine!! Escalon has a beautiful smalltown downtown and has good eateries.

Hughson the team that defeated Escalon and built its resume by having a fearless Offense! This team seems to enjoy the close fight until the very end. If you look at their playoff battles every game was close. Huskies will be celebrating the Peach Capital in State Championship Football fashion as they host Muir of Pasadena. I used to drive by Muir of Pasadena Nice School, I worked in Burbank years ago and find it hard to see them playing Hughson for D5 SBG. The Mustangs who will travel 311 miles will also be guests of the exciting travel through the breadbasket of California, with views of tractors, diesels, and people who maintain the agricultural machine. Hughson also has a great little downtown with pubs and restaurants. Smalltown not Metro, although less than 5 miles away from Modesto.

20 miles away two stories will be told, and two State Champions will be crowned!!
Two Communities of Farm America versus Urban sprawl concrete communities.

Goodluck Escalon and Hughson!!!

Trans Valley League Host Two Games with-in 20 miles of each other. Escalon Cougars will have tri-tip, hot chocolate and some Fans in the House come Friday. Northwood Timberwolves will drive from (369 miles away) Irvine, leaving the warmer climate of Orange County will feel right at home enjoying the fragrances of the Escalon Dairies. Northwood did get some flavor last week in Delano, so perhaps an appreciation is forming. Escalon will be cold, damp even muddy as the kickoff awaits to bring back another Small-School State Championship to a hard nose, dedicated community of Football. Northwood may enjoy the scenery as a new experience gazing out in the Valley Farms driving up the 5 and seeing how Country folks live, not sure the long drive home will be as colorful. Escalon community will feed you excellent cuisine!! Escalon has a beautiful smalltown downtown and has good eateries.

Hughson the team that defeated Escalon and built its resume by having a fearless Offense! This team seems to enjoy the close fight until the very end. If you look at their playoff battles every game was close. Huskies will be celebrating the Peach Capital in State Championship Football fashion as they host Muir of Pasadena. I used to drive by Muir of Pasadena Nice School, I worked in Burbank years ago and find it hard to see them playing Hughson for D5 SBG. The Mustangs who will travel 311 miles will also be guests of the exciting travel through the breadbasket of California, with views of tractors, diesels, and people who maintain the agricultural machine. Hughson also has a great little downtown with pubs and restaurants. Smalltown not Metro, although less than 5 miles away from Modesto.

20 miles away two stories will be told, and two State Champions will be crowned!!
Two Communities of Farm America versus Urban sprawl concrete communities.

Goodluck Escalon and Hughson!!!
A nice write MC. Looking forward to the sequel following the matchups. Here's hoping for a victorious Escalón and Hughson. Let's Go NorCal !!

Reactions: M.C. fan
its 9 degrees higher in irvine than escalon. that isnt that much difference when its in the 50s-60s. plus at night it will def not matter when the difference is only 4 degrees.
now them smelling shhttt is accurate, although irvine is pretty much escalon without the cows

Major culture shock for the Muir and Northwood teams coming up this weekend. I would doubt that any of them had ever heard of Escalon or Hughson much less where they're located. I have not been to games at either location but I am positive the home team support will be intense and loud. It'll be good for the city kids to see where their food is coming from and perhaps they will be able to catch whiffs of bovine effluvia. California is a huge state and many people, young and old, have no concept or knowledge of places not in their immediate vicinity. My wife once caught a hotel shuttle bus from the Orange Count airport where she was the only passenger. The young driver, who grew up in the area, struck up a conversation. 'Where was my wife from?' Turlock. Never heard of it (not surprising). My wife: Well, it's by Modesto. Nope. Stockton? Nope. Fresno? Nope. Sacramento? Apparently the knowledge of Sacramento being the state capital of California had eluded her in her classes. 'Well, Turlock is close to Yosemite. You've heard of Yosemite?' Nope. Muir HS has a long and proud history of famous grads, athletes and otherwise, not the least of which was Jackie Robinson (and a girl I dated while at Cal, but that's another story) and the opportunity to play in a state championship game is another milestone. For Hughson and Escalon this is a huge deal; I might even go to one of the games.

Major culture shock for the Muir and Northwood teams coming up this weekend. I would doubt that any of them had ever heard of Escalon or Hughson much less where they're located. I have not been to games at either location but I am positive the home team support will be intense and loud. It'll be good for the city kids to see where their food is coming from and perhaps they will be able to catch whiffs of bovine effluvia. California is a huge state and many people, young and old, have no concept or knowledge of places not in their immediate vicinity. My wife once caught a hotel shuttle bus from the Orange Count airport where she was the only passenger. The young driver, who grew up in the area, struck up a conversation. 'Where was my wife from?' Turlock. Never heard of it (not surprising). My wife: Well, it's by Modesto. Nope. Stockton? Nope. Fresno? Nope. Sacramento? Apparently the knowledge of Sacramento being the state capital of California had eluded her in her classes. 'Well, Turlock is close to Yosemite. You've heard of Yosemite?' Nope. Muir HS has a long and proud history of famous grads, athletes and otherwise, not the least of which was Jackie Robinson (and a girl I dated while at Cal, but that's another story) and the opportunity to play in a state championship game is another milestone. For Hughson and Escalon this is a huge deal; I might even go to one of the games.
that person had to be clueless and this must have been prior to the internet.
no way someone doesnt know at least stockton, fresno and sacramento. that explains why there were driving an airport shuttle bus.
and yes people dont realize how big it is, people up north call irvine and anaheim LA when it is not even close to LA.

.....and I 've met southlanders while visiting family in Lakewood who think Oregon is just a couple hours drive north of SF. (Maybe possible if the vehicle of transit is the Batmobile)

Last edited:
its 9 degrees higher in irvine than escalon. that isnt that much difference when its in the 50s-60s. plus at night it will def not matter when the difference is only 4 degrees.
now them smelling shhttt is accurate, although irvine is pretty much escalon without the cows
the elite azn woman population in Escalon is significantly smaller.

Reactions: M.C. fan
I wish Escalon best of luck but it appears to me they have done very well in D5 and along with Sonora and now Sutter
(with their past success in the NS) all 3 should be elevated to D4 from D5 in SJS,and while the powers that be are at it the Vandens and Cap Christians should move up to D3 from D4 especially VANDEN….imho,just my 2 cents,and after Grant wins the D3 AA State title this friday they need to go to D2 where i truely believe they belong,this Grant team could have competed very well in D2,again imho,but them being in D3 wasn’t quite right because outside of the SJS D3 Championship game vs CB‘s where they still won by a couple td’s i believe and this was after a 1st rd bye then dropping 64 on a good YC team in the qtrs and then 80 on another very good 10-1 and then #2 Patterson team in the semi’s of SJS D3… the Pacers have pretty much steamrolled everyone..including an undefeated 13-0 NCS D3 Champion El Cerrito in the NorCal Regional Championship and did so quite handily 35-7 i believe and really should have been 2-3 td’s more if not for 3…4 and outs and a fumble all pretty much inside EC’s 30 yd line,so here’s to the SJS really taking a good hard look at some of these what appears to be every yr norms…excluding this yr’s Grant who i believe belongs in D2 given their penchant for tremendous athletes yr in and yr out and now have the coaching in Carl Reed,this his 2nd yr at the Pacer helm!Outside of that, i’m 100% SJS and NorCal supporter….GO NORCAL!👏👏👏👏👏👏

Last edited:
Trans Valley League 2-0

Escalon Dominated Northwood 28-7. Good thing for the Timberwolves it was raining so hard or else Cougars would have dumped more points on the board.

D-fest was on in Hughson as both the Huskies and Mustangs battled for 15 points.
Sweet taste of victory for Hughson 9-6.

Every Year you never know who the top dog will be! Looks like Riverbank should go to the Southern League and Orestimba join the TVL for 2023. Modesto Christian is behind the level of the top 4 (not to far), Livingston is very close to being a playoff team (Build system). Escalon, Hilmar, Hughson and Ripon depending on who has more seniors on the roster takes the advantage to propel ahead of the others. 2023 should see even stronger scheduling early on from Escalon (Buchannan and maybe Downey, Turlock) team to battle that talent) and Hughson (Summerville, add Liberty Ranch or Sutter). Hilmar already did in 2022 with Playing Palma, Patterson, and Sonora (add Manteca). Ripon should improve in 2023 and (add Hollister, Orland) needs stronger opponents in pre-league. Tough League representing unique farming communities that are very, very dedicated to their families, schools, and community. This league is fun to watch, follow, comment on and respect what they all are doing! Having fun with their friends!!

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT