ADVERTISEMENT

SMS 70 SHC 65 Final

bulldogmgc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Lady Rams should be up by much more. So many blown chances.

This post was edited on 3/17 7:55 PM by bulldogmgc

This post was edited on 3/17 8:25 PM by bulldogmgc

This post was edited on 3/17 8:47 PM by bulldogmgc

Re: SMS 18 SHC 13 end 1st QTR

SHC playing much more efficient. Game tied at 18 after 1 minute into the 2nd. Tons of boos from the SMS dominant crowd after Decosta taken down on a jump ball call.

SMS too eratic. SHC playing with much calmness and not shaken. SHC now up 29-20.

Is SHC handling the SMS pressure?
Obviously yes who is bringing the ball up against that 2-2-1

It is more a case of SMS forcing and missing shots, missed FT's, and SHC very efficient in their shots and chances they are getting. SMS press is working at times. But, it means diddly squat when SMS does not capitalize on the turnovers. In summary, SMS is shooting themselves in the foot. Sloppy! Sloppy! Sloppy SMS offense!

Halftime: SMS 30 SHC 38

Re: SMS 30 SHC 38 halftime

SHC is not winning because of an individual guard breaking the SMS press. Just look at SMS total points thru 2 quarters ... 30 points. Sure, SHC defense deserves some credit. But, this really a case of SMS playing out of character with so many missed shots. Confident the Lady Rams will turn things around in the second half. As of now, Irish luck working it's magic on St. Patty's Day. Cityboys pot of gold paying off the fantasy on Fantasy Island. The plane! The plane!

SMS come out of the gates in the 3rd with better composure. Press working. SMS 36 SHC 38 (Cayton missed FT on 3pt opp) with 1 minute into the 2nd half.

SMS ties it up with another SHC turnover (4 in a row) at 38 with 6:45 left in the 3rd. SHC bigs playing good D down low. We got a ballgame!

This post was edited on 3/17 9:17 PM by bulldogmgc

Missed layups by SMS turned into made ones by SHC. SHC goes up 44-40 before SMS hits a 3 to pull within 1. Another missed SMS shot turns into another SHC basket. SHC is counter punching! Score now SMS 49 SHC 50 with a minute left in the 3rd.

This post was edited on 3/17 9:18 PM by bulldogmgc

SMS takes the lead 52-50 with 30 sec left in the 3rd. SMS scores again on SHC turnover as time expires in the 3rd. SMS 54 SHC 50 to end the 3rd. SMS now playing Lady Ram Bball.

Re: SMS 54 SHC 50 end of 3rd Qtr

SHC is dominating the boards, which triggers the counter punch. SHC up 58-56 with 4:10 left.

SHC turns on the press with 4 min left in the game. SMS breaks it, ties the game, then takes the lead with a 3 pointer by Cayton.

With 3 minutes left SMS pulls it's press back, plays solid D, gets the turnover. Decosta with the layup. SMS 63 SHC 58 with 2:49 left.

SHC with a 3. SHC dominates the boards, especially on offense. SHC put back ties the game at 63 with a minute and a half left. SMS ball. Timeout SMS.

Decosta scores the layup. SMS stalls and with 2 secs left on the shot clock Cayton hits a 3 from 12 feet beyond the arc. 68-63 with 13.5 left in the game.

SHC pushes ball. No foul no foul screams the SMS crowd. SHC scores the layup with 6.3 left. Sierra dribbles, falls, keeps her dribble, and gets fouled with 3.1 left. FT good. SHC calls timeout before Sierra shoots her 2nd FT. Score 70-65 as Sierra sinks the 2nd FT. And that's your final score. SMS 70 SHC 65.

One heck of a game! SHC matches up well in the post and in my opinion dominated the post. But,SMS guards are much better than SHC guards. Smith and Cayton were instrumental in the end for SMS victory. Good game by SHC! SMS needs to play much better or it could be trouble in the Norcal final. SMS offense had just way too many missed opps. But, fortunately, the Lady Rams steal the Irish pot of gold and move on.

Nice hard fought game....Congrats to St. Mary's. That NBA three was the miracle shot. I predict these two teams will see each other somewhere next year. SHC Jv's were 19-0 this year. SHC won't be giving up, I can tell you that. Hats off to St. Mary's.

I think the commentating is pretty fair. SMS played very uncharcteristic tonight, didn't capitalize on turnovers, didn't push the ball much. I am not one for excuses, which is why chose to not say anything in the days leading up to the game. Sierra has been sick since Sunday morning, been down with a stomach virus, hasn't eaten anything solid since Saturday night, missed school yesterday, only went to school today because she had to in order to play. Right before the game she threw up pretty much all the fluid she had in her body, and at halftime she was really faint. Proud of my kid for sucking it up, taking 3 charges, and doing what she could to help her team.
No my kid is not the whole team, but I think PART of the reason why SMS played out of character was because she was not 100%, not able to push the ball every play like she normally does. I am so proud of the TEAM effort, so proud our girls didn't get discouraged when they were down at the half. They came out in the 2nd half ready to fight their way back.
This game was everything I thought it would be. Both teams came out, ready to battle, kept the fans on their toes the whole game. Gotta give props to SHC for their effort. Despite all the hype, they came in dominated on the boards, had an outrageous number of blocks, balled out. Those girls worked their butts off!
As for Micole's lucky shot, well I would call it luck too if I didn't know she put up like 50 of those before school started this morning. Micole and Sierra was knocking at the gym door this morning at like 7:00, put up some shots with some of the boys varsity players as they had a game as well tonight. Talk about dedication!

First let me give some credit to SMS. SHC gave them all they could handle. NOW let me ask how did the refs only call 11 fouls on SMS the entire game? First quarter fouls was 9-2 smh. SHC shot 6 free thirows the entire game. The kick ball call on Coleman when the dove for the ball and it was clearly between her legs and the non travel call on Smith when she fell to the ground killed the game. The refs were super inconsistent. HUGE shot by Cayton with the shot clock winding down won that though! Great game SMS, SHC gave them all they could handle.

I guess we gained a little more respect with all the critics saying we'd loose by 20 lol. SMS AND EVERYONE ELSE will have to see us in the future that's for sure.

CityBoy415,
I agree with you. As I already had respect for SHC, knew they were going to bring it, so I do think more people will respect them. As for the inconsistency with the refs, I agree with that as well, but I think they were pretty inconsistent on both ends of the court. There were several jump/held ball calls which I think were fouls, a couple of over the back fouls which were missed, and several blatant traveling violations which went uncalled. I think if the refs would have been more consistent, the outcome would have still been the same.

I will say this though. How about we give some credit to the SHC defense. This is the second close game they've played against SMS so we can't say SMS played uncharacteristic twice lol! There's a reason for that. SMS also had to take off the press that there so known for because they were giving away uncontested layups

Why don't you give SHC credit? They did not have an impressive record (double-digit number of losses) and finished 3rd in the WCAL. Yet-they played the Rams close in their home territory. Who else played w/in 5 points of SMS? Go CCS!

CityBoy415,
Did I not give the defense credit (i.e. rebounds, block shots)? I believe I gave credit to the total effort SHC put forth.

Not referring to you on the defensive credit. As far as the refs I can't agree with you there. Missing calls is one thing but you can't complain about foul calls when it was 9-2 in the first quarter and SHC only going to the line 6 times lol that's just ridiculous

Interesting calling out the refs when it was the SMS crowd yelling at them the most, especially the bald one chewing gum. If players can't chew gum playing ball, why is a referee allowed to chew gum? Mr. Gum-chewer was very absent minded and very inconsistent in his calls, especially many missed traveling calls on SHC, yet many called against SMS. Sometimes he forgot where to stand and the other refs had to help him. What a joke! In regards to SHC layups. Most were from (counter punch) defensive board pull downs, outlet passes, which led to layups for SHC. St. Mary's press worked just fine especially in the beginning and the start of the 3rd quarter. In the beginning, what was uncharacteristic of SMS was not scoring off of these turnovers, with many missed layups and many missed FT's. Yes, SHC bigs were key for SHC defense with many blocks (even on Decosta), but still too many missed layups. SHC scored well on SMS's missed shots, not so much against the press (more turnovers against the press than scoring opps from what I counted). SMS offense was at its lowest in the 2nd quarter. SHC totally took advantage when SMS failed to score, not so much in breaking SMS press, not anymore than other teams. The first few minutes of the 3rd when SMS got back in the game was the real key. They played less eratic, forced the turnovers and capitalized. That's the character of Lady Rams basketball.

Cayton's shot may have been luck just like the one she launched beyond 1/2 court in a prior game before the 1st half ended. But, it sure looked better than all the missed SMS shots early on. SHC played well, stuck to their game plan, and nearly pulled off the upset. Maybe they just have SMS's #? They definitely put a scare into the SMS fans. But, this truly was a game where SMS was shooting themselves in the foot, many forced (rushed) shots that just did not fall as they normally do. It again was great counter play by SHC countering on the many missed SMS shots, and scoring off of these counters. Again, great game plan by SHC. It nearly worked. SHC is a good team and a good match up with SMS. But, everyone that knows SMS and watches them consistently, knows that many moments of this game were not characteristic of SMS. SMS cannot afford to play like this vs MM or SoCal rep (if they get past MM), or they certainly will lose. Congrats to SHC on a good show thru the playoffs and making this a very exciting game for all who watched. But, suck it up and accept the defeat. This isn't horseshoes! It's basketball. Fantasy Island was cancelled years ago. So much for the 10 point SHC prediction. Btw, never saw anyone (so called experts), especially SMS fans post or predict a SMS 20 point victory. If you look closer I was open to take SMS +10, but never saw your response for a wager. Guessing you must be still dreaming Cityboy! Wake up! You and your prediction were 15 points off. Nice try! LOL!

CityBoy415,
You brought up the first game, referenced this being the 2nd close game between SMS and SHC. In the first game, in SF, where SHC had home court advantage, SHC was in foul trouble as well. Sierra had 3-4 charges in that game as well, and 3-4 SHC players fouled out. That's no coincidence, just like the score.
In spite of everything one can bring up from either side, tonight's game was the best game I've seen in Nor Cal this season, great effort on the parts of both teams, and their players. Gonna leave it at that.

Kkross22

I brought it up now because it's been the topic of discussions in a lot of posts the last week and a half and them playing uncharacteristic was said again in this one. It wasn't anything other than good defense. Just the same as me not making excuses for the few layups Thomas missed that could have changed the game. She normally makes those but good defense was played and she missed them regardless of if I thought it was a foul or not.

City,
I will post this for you here too since you're crying refs were unfair.

You really going to blame refs for your loss? Really???? SHC got so many calls their way, it was almost comical. Refs called so many jump balls which were over the back and arm grabbing fouls. The refs called the fouls because you guys were actually fouling. All the fouls didn't matter, SMS shooting from the line was horrendous, they didn't capitalize there.

Was a great game, lets leave refs out. SMS won because they were a better team tonight. I could say SHC stayed close because of a sick PG, a starter out, missed tons of layups/put backs, didn't take as many 3s as they usually take, didn't pass the ball well.. See where this is going? I can blame a lot of things, but choose not to because excuses dont win games.

By the way, KK is right about being in foul trouble in both games. Not a coincidence.
This post was edited on 3/17 10:52 PM by Garcia2

Hey all,

I couldn't make it to the game tonight, but just want to congratulate both teams. I really wish this could have been the Open championship game this Saturday, but I'll enjoy Miramonte vs SMS also.

And just to call it like it is, CCS took it on the chin today -- two teams advance, six teams knocked out. Still pretty good to get two teams to Sacramento. And those two stand a pretty good chance of getting to Berkeley.

Bullldogmgc

If SHC had a crowd I'm sure they would have been calls out the refs just as much so you saying that doesn't make to much sense. Both teams had a lot of travel calls but that doesn't change the game only shooting 6 free throws the entire game does. I won't go back and fourth with you in terms of what you think about the game obviously your biased when it comes to that. And I never said Caytons shot was luck it was a good shot so I'm not sure where your going with that either. No other team will match up with SMS besides maybe Chamonade. Other than that they should win it all.

As far as you being open to betting on SMS this is a high school girls basketball game I would never bet on that these are kids here. HOWEVER, I'll bet on myself and take myself +10 against you ANYTIME. I'll be waiting on your response to that wager......

News Flash! CCS trades CityBoy415 to the Northern Section for a case of beer.

Seriously, calm down CB415. Everybody hates the refs after a loss. And don't forget, SHC JV team went 137-0 this year, so next year is going to be brilliant right? Actually from what I'm seeing, I think Mitty is the favorite for next year, but I'm sure it will be a battle to the end. ;-)

Please share where someone posted a prediction of a 20 point victory for SMS. I just can't find it.

Just suck it up. You lost! The only one really complaining here about the refs is YOU! So typical and so expected. Stop crying!

In regards to putting points out there. You did it. And now you are eating crow. Next time, please be more careful. How does it taste? And now you want to challenge me to a game of basketball? Hmm? Sounds like you are losing it. Oh wait ... you lost already. LOL! Be careful. You don't want to be schooled again. More lessons to follow next season. Stay tuned.

The NorCal Preps forum is incredibly bad when trying to search for previous posts. That said, I also remember the prediction of SMS by 20.

Gotta give credit to coach Russell for having a great run this season! SHC game plan was great but SMS coach keeped his team calm down the stretch for the win.

In the second quarter when DeCosta went down hard, the game turned toward SHC, and with DeCosta out on the sideline SHC went up by double digits. Only once DeCosta came back in did SMS start to mount there come back. I thought this was the biggest factor not any ref calls.

In the end SMS just made two more plays DeCosta lay up and the lucky Cayton three with the shot clock ticking down. Now on to what most thought the SMS vs MM rematch.

I believe there were a couple of predictions that SMS was going to win by 20+.

This is playoffs time of year and refs will make calls a little looser and let thinks go. The girls need to get use to it because that's the way it is called in college !!!!!

Well, if someone (guessing it might have been Ballerdreams who appears to have changed his/her profile name or fallen off this message board) predicted a 20 pt victory for SMS, that person is on par with the same person who predicted a 10 pt victory for SHC. Do the math. Both are off by 15. Not the smartest call on this game. LOL!

bulldogmgc

I guess your didn't read my post earlier during the day !!!!

SHC VS SMS ought to be a interesting game by far. Both these teams come into this game on a high note but only one team can win. These will be closer then people think and will the lucky of the Irish happen on St. Patrick's Day. The question is the luck already happen before the game even started ? I think this games will be won in the last seconds of the game ! Good luck to both of these good teams!

This post was edited on 3/17 11:12 AM by RespectBBGame

bulldog

I call this game before it even happen and when the game was going to be won !!!!! Good game SMS and SHC !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT