ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Games: Saturday

Shout out to the Chico State Wildcats, who knocked off Alaska Fairbanks tonight to earn a ticket to the NCAA Division ll Elite 8. Lots of NorCal players on Coach Clink’s squad. As Larry likes to point out, Dll is an important option that kids and parents should consider. Go Cats!

Shout out to the Chico State Wildcats, who knocked off Alaska Fairbanks tonight to earn a ticket to the NCAA Division ll Elite 8. Lots of NorCal players on Coach Clink’s squad. As Larry likes to point out, Dll is an important option that kids and parents should consider. Go Cats!
Indeed!! Held them to 52 pts! Coach clink is as good as a human being as you will find. It’s a great atmosphere where the town gets behind the sports and the kids get connected to the community.

And the roster is filled with local greats.

Malik Duffy (Jesuit)
Isiah brooks (Sheldon)
Joshua Hamilton (Central Catholic )
Kevin Warren (Saint Mary’s of Berkeley)
Colby Orr (DLS)
Brennan Wheeler (ponderosa)
Tyson Geraci (San Marin)
Max Walters (soquel)

Indeed!! Held them to 52 pts! Coach clink is as good as a human being as you will find. It’s a great atmosphere where the town gets behind the sports and the kids get connected to the community.

And the roster is filled with local greats.

Malik Duffy (Jesuit)
Isiah brooks (Sheldon)
Joshua Hamilton (Central Catholic )
Kevin Warren (Saint Mary’s of Berkeley)
Colby Orr (DLS)
Brennan Wheeler (ponderosa)
Tyson Geraci (San Marin)
Max Walters (soquel)
To add to that: It's the city of trees. Bidwell Park is where the original movie Robin Hood was Filmed with Errol Flynn. The park sits right in the middle of Chico. World class fishing, with the sacramento River, and two large creeks flowing thru the city. A beautiful downtown area. With some of the best soil in the world, that will grow almost anything.
The old saying was: if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere.
I say if you can't make it in Chico, you can't make it anywhere. :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

To add to that: It's the city of trees. Bidwell Park is where the original movie Robin Hood was Filmed with Errol Flynn. The park sits right in the middle of Chico. World class fishing, with the sacramento River, and two large creeks flowing thru the city. A beautiful downtown area. With some of the best soil in the world, that will grow almost anything.

And .... Rileys Bar was voted the best college bar in the country by Bar Stool Sports

Just need to bring back the old school Pioneer week from the 80’s heydays. They were legit and National!
Playboy3.jpg

chico was the 3 seed and beat the 8 seed. but they did beat #2 san berdo

chico was the 3 seed and beat the 8 seed. but they did beat #2 san berdo
And the 8 seed beat the 1 seed in the West. Go figure. Hopefully they can keep up the magic. Down to the final 8 in the nation. 4 of the 8 teams that advanced were 3 seeds. For the Elite 8, they re-seed, so it’ll depend on how the Cats stack up against the other 3 seeds that survived as to where they get seeded next week.

Reactions: concrete17
If remember correctly, I believe old Legend was featured on ESPN top 10 plays or plays of the week for a shot he made in his Wildcat days?

I’ve looked, can’t find anything! Maybe @larry legend33 can/will fill in the gaps?
I think it went into the old puck smith archives. Man this was before the World Wide Web! 😭. Good times for sure. Clink has taken this team to an amazing level. I would love for them to get a facility upgrade line Humboldt state did a decade or so ago. Acker needs a makeover bad.
Chico plays Augusta from GA. Dang they are 31-3.

@bella123 , hey go watch the lefty from newman throw. He’s solid.

I think it went into the old puck smith archives. Man this was before the World Wide Web! 😭. Good times for sure. Clink has taken this team to an amazing level. I would love for them to get a facility upgrade line Humboldt state did a decade or so ago. Acker needs a makeover bad.
Chico plays Augusta from GA. Dang they are 31-3.

@bella123 , hey go watch the lefty from newman throw. He’s solid.
Here's a wild Chico State story that didin't turn out so well. The year was 1998.
The year UC Davis won the Div 2 National Championship.
In comes the UC Davis wild marching band, and the place is going crazy.

Three seconds on the clock and chico goes ahead by 1 point.
One second left and the bench starts to rush out. Yep, The ref calls a tech. Davis makes one and one and thats the ball game. Took a few years to get over that one.

Here's a wild Chico State story that didin't turn out so well. The year was 1998.
The year UC Davis won the Div 2 National Championship.
In comes the UC Davis wild marching band, and the place is going crazy.

Three seconds on the clock and chico goes ahead by 1 point.
One second left and the bench starts to rush out. Yep, The ref calls a tech. Davis makes one and one and thats the ball game. Took a few years to get over that one.
Here's another wild Chico State story that didn't turn out so well. The year was 1987, the same year as Bella's Playboy above. UC Davis had won a De La Salle like 16-year FWC/NCAC conference football championships in a row. Chico's head coach was a young Mike Belotti, who would then go on to great heights as the HC at Oregon. Chico was driving and only down 2 with the ball on the Aggies' 15-yard line with the clock running down. Belotti sent the field goal unit onto the field to kick the game winning FG.

Chico QB Bobby Dunn then waived the FG unit off the field and proceeded to spike the ball to stop the clock. The only problem with that was it was already 4th down and UC Davis took over and was able to kneel down to run out the clock for their 17th consecutive conference title. Davis went on to win 1 more championship under legendary coach Jim Socher for a total of 18 straight. Had the Wildcats won this game, they would have ended up a game ahead of Davis to claim the conference championship. Took more than a few years to get over that one. Chico would then give up football altogether in the 90s. At least they still have excellent hoops and baseball programs.

Last edited:
Here's another wild Chico State story that didn't turn out so well. The year was 1987, the same year as Bella's Playboy above. UC Davis had won a De La Salle like 16-year FWC/NCAC conference football championships in a row. Chico's head coach was a young Mike Belotti, who would then go on to great heights as the HC at Oregon. Chico was driving and only down 2 with the ball on the Aggies' 15-yard line with the clock running down. Belotti sent the field goal unit onto the field to kick the game winning FG.

Chico QB Bobby Dunn then waived the FG unit off the field and proceeded to spike the ball to stop the clock. The only problem with that was it was already 4th down and UC Davis took over and was able to kneel down to run out the clock for their 17th consecutive conference title. Davis went on to win 1 more championship under legendary coach Jim Socher for a total of 18 straight. Had the Wildcats won this game, they would have ended up a game ahead of Davis to claim the conference championship. Took more than a few years to get over that one. Chico would then give up football altogether in the 90s. At least they still have excellent hoops and baseball programs.
Damn I didn’t know that. Obviously didn’t get the Colorado Buffalo 5th down. I went to the game when SSU beat Davis in 91’ to win the NCAC conference and break that Davis incredible win streak of condense titles.

Chico State repping in at #13. Top ranked California school, they need to put in a some work to move upward.

Damn UCSB has really slipped. I remember some great Halloween’s in Goleta in the 80’s.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT