ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Saturday

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Divisions IV, II and Open will round out the high school season.

First up is D4 with Cardinal Newman and Antelope Valley.

Cardinal Newman leads 9-7 with 311 left in Q1. Vice-Neat has 7 points for CN.

Cardinal Newman leads 13-9 with 14 seconds left in Q1. Cardinals aren't intimidated by big stage.

They need to go inside (Newman) to many 3's early. Hard to shoot in a big gym. Newman really struggling in 2nd.

Antelope Valley lead 29-21 in Q3. CN has scored 8 points in 11 minutes

Cardinal Newman just got its second shot inside from its 6-3 and 6-5 players. The only girl over 6-0 for Antelope Valley has three fouls. It's 29-23 right now, but it's hard to grasp why Newman doesn't throw the ball to the block more.

Reactions: larry legend33
Antelope is scrappy and they seem to make there defense into offensive. If Newman takes care of the ball they are getting good looks. Keep going into Walker and vice.

Cardinal Newman used a 12-0 run to get back into the game. Lead Antelope Valley 33-31 with 56 seconds left in Q3

Newman looking much better in the 3rd. If they take care of the ball and keep this pace it will be there game to lose in the 4th. Walker is really a defensive stopper. She must have 6 blocks or more.

Newman back to man ... they look to be in control with 4:53 left. Up 38-31, AV timeout.

CN has only given up 7 points in the second half. They lead Antelope Valley 38-31 with 451 left in Q4.

Antelope coach subbing 3 or 4 players just about every time down the floor... Panic setting in?

Antelope Valley is struggling from outside ... will need some easy baskets to win. Vice-Neat draws foul No. 5 on 6-3 girl from AV. FTs here could ice it with 1:38 left.

I can't believe Newman hasn't broken this press one time for a layup. This game shouldn't be this close.

Size matters ... AV can't score inside with game on line. Newman wins 39-37 despite missing FTs late. Congrats to Monica Mertle and Cardinal Newman.

Lowest scoring D4 girls game in state history. Big defensive effort for CN in holding Antelope Valley to 13 second half points.

Great finish with the blocked layup at the end... Side note, I am 7-for-7 so far... Hope I can go 11-for-12 with a supergigantic upset in game 12 breaking my streak :)

I have Cajon winning this one... Kayla Washington and the Turner twins the ones to watch...

Mira Shulman gets 3rd foul for Elk Grove with a couple min. left in the half and a 20-11 lead, and things unravel. Cajon scores 10 straight to head to the locker room leading 21-20.

Elk Grove leads El Cajon 29-27 with 330 left in Q3. Back and forth game. Mira Shulman doing some nice things for Elk Grove

Close one here... Shulman started 2nd half with her 3 fouls and has avoided that 4th

Funny how all of a sudden a team rins a couple plays through and makes the game look easy... 38-32 Cajon.

Congratulations to Cardinal Newman. I think teams who care more about winning percentage than advancing in the post season should take notice. They scrimmaged SMS, Clovis West, Vanden and St.Francis. Foundation game versus Miramonte. In season Sacred Heart Cathedral, Eastside Prep, Clovis, Inderkum, Palisades, Mcclatchy. They were better prepared today than Antelope Valley. They did not play zone, they were in help. AV did not make any adjustments. The CN girls were completely engaged with their coach, AV was not. CN has shot a lot of 3's all year and their bigs do a great job getting offensive boards. Remember the 6'3 girl did make 4 3's today. AV was in foul trouble, that was not panic by the coach it was offense for defense. Congratulations CN, great work.

Elk Grove was scoreless for the first 6-7 minutes of the fourth quarter. Long scoring droughts doomed them today.

El Cajon had 11-0 and 19-0 runs.

El Cajon wins 55-36. Gave up 65 total points in the regional and state games.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT