ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Saturday

Open Division is underway and Chaminade leads Miramonte 13-4 with 340 left in Q1. #21 for Chaminade has made some plays

Reactions: StephenPezzola
Well... I picked MM for this game. I... don't think theyhave a chance after seeing the first 4 minutes.

Chaminade has a great initial game plan. Carving up the press. Time for Miramonte to counter.

15-5 Chaminade with 328 left in Q1.

Chaminade leads 23-11 end Q1. If you have size that can handle, it does a lot for breaking a press. Chaminade as two of the best wings in the country to do just that.

Miramonte needs to settle in

Miramonte doesn't guard anybody. they can score with the best of them but that doesn't work against a team like Chaminade.

One thing is clear. These girls can shoot the rock!!

Chaminade leads Miramonte 43-33 at halftime. Ionescu banked in a three pointer at the buzzer to get the Matadors as close as they have been since the first quarter

Miramonte down 20 midway through second but two threes in the last 10 seconds -- the second a 30-foot bank shot from Sabrina Ionescu, cut it to ten at the half. But Higgins and Odom are just too good, at least so far ...

Ionescu might be the best player I see all week. (Boys or Girls). She is so skilled it's silly.

Time Warner online is showing the game and it is on Comcast too.

Miramonte has had success with their zone and now trail just 47-45 with 346 left in Q3. This was a 16 point game late in the second quarter

Maybe all those things are true about Miramonte and Chaminade, but it's 47-45 now.

The yin and yang of pressing teams. You get stops, leads to easy offense and vice versa.

Chaminade had it rolling in the first half. Now its Miramonte's turn.

Chaminade leads 57-55 end Q3.

Open Division has its issues, but the title games have been fantastic.

Chaminade leads 65-59 with 529 left in A4. Odom and Higgins have combined for 40 points. Ionescsu has 17. Howard has 15 for Miramonte.

Open records that have been set:

Most points scored in a game
Most points by one team
Most points by one player (Odom with 33)

Sure more will pop up too

Chaminade wins 80-71. South is now 2-2 in the Open Division games

Last edited:
not. BOD, SMS. I was concerned about MM's player-to-player against Pinewood--spotty play on-ball, struggle w on- and off-ball screens. They did better w zone. also, lots of unforced turnovers from MM. all credit to Chaminade, terrific team w two outstanding players. couldn't believe MM made it back from 20 down, looked like they might lose by 40. congratulations to MM, best season in school history. Chaminade is a deserving Open Champ.

Last edited:
Your are wrong!!!!! Don't forget about BOD won the very first Open against Windward and ST. Mary's last year. So I believe it 2 and 2 tie!!!!!!!

Leaonna Odom was just too good -- and Valerie Higgins is great too.

I don't think Miramonte pressed very much, so I don't think the "die by the press" applies. As Sabrina said afterward, "Odom is longer than anyone on our team," and that was really the key. They scored a few times on inbounds by just lobbing it her, and one of those came right after Miramonte took its first (and only) lead.

I thought Odom was amazing...long, skilled and athletic and as good as anyone I've watched all year. Higgins was good also. MM would send 2 girls at the ball and they would take 2 hard dribbles and blow thru the double team time and time again. The MM press gave them no trouble at all. VERY impressive. I never really felt like Chaminade was ever going to lose that game even when MM made the big run to take back the lead. I felt Chaminade was in control the whole time.

A rule of thumb: If you are facing superior athletes, do not open up the floor for them. The more space they have the better they are. MM provided Chaminade with far too many easy opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT