ADVERTISEMENT

Tamalpais missed on hosting a game

PhotoGuy_271

Sports Fanatic
Mar 19, 2016
Bay Area, Nor Cal
Tamalpais misses on on hosting a lower seed because they didn't apply to host and will now have to travel to lower seed Montgomery.. That home court disadvantage will be big...

•Sixth-seeded Tamalpais, which got 16 points from Jordan Jackson and 12 from Jacob Moeller in an NCS Division 2 quarterfinal win over third-seeded Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa, should be hosting Montgomery-Santa Rosa on Wednesday. But according to NCS Commissioner Gil Lemmon, Tamalpais officials did not apply to host, and seventh-seeded Montgomery did, thus the game will be in Santa Rosa.

A windshield-wiper look — back and forth — at a very busy basketball playoff scene.

•Oakland Tech (26-4), ranked sixth by The Chronicle last week, lost to Fremont-Oakland 56-53 in the Oakland Section playoff final Saturday. Tech had defeated Fremont (21-9) in three earlier games and won 22 games in a row. Both teams will advance to the Northern California tournament.

•Berkeley’s second-year girls basketball coach is Ralph Dangerfield, which is sort of fitting. The longtime Bay Area power hasn’t got much respect lately. Winners of a record 12 NorCal titles, the Yellowjackets were seeded sixth in the North Coast Section Division 1 playoffs, but Saturday qualified for the Northern California tournament with a 55-41 quarterfinal win at third-seeded James Logan-Union City. Berkeley (17-10) is led by Fullerton State-signee Xinavane Foreman, a 5-foot-10 forward.

•Logan shouldn’t stop practicing. If top-seeded Carondelet-Concord wins the NCS Division 1 tournament and is called up to the Open Division, Logan will back into NorCals.

•Likely local boys teams getting pulled up to Open: Bellarmine, Dublin, De La Salle-Concord, Salesian-Richmond, St. Joseph Notre Dame-Alameda, joining Sac-Joaquin Section’s Woodcreek-Roseville and Sheldon-Sacramento.

•Likely local girls team to be called up to the Open: Mitty, Pinewood-Los Altos Hills, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Carondelet, Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa, Bishop O’Dowd-Oakland and either Miramonte-Orinda or Salesian, with SJS’s St. Mary’s-Stockton.

•Best semifinal boys game Wednesday is Moreau Catholic-Hayward at Bishop O’Dowd, featuring at least six future Division I players, including Metro Player of the Year favorite Damari Milstead. The 6-3 senior guard from Moreau is averaging 25.0 points, 5.2 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game.

•With his 41-point performance in an NCS Division 4 quarterfinal loss to Lick-Wilmerding on Saturday, Marin Catholic-Kentfield senior Joey Calcaterra upped his scoring average to an area-best 29.4 per game, which ranks seventh in the state.

•Sixth-seeded Tamalpais, which got 16 points from Jordan Jackson and 12 from Jacob Moeller in an NCS Division 2 quarterfinal win over third-seeded Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa, should be hosting Montgomery-Santa Rosa on Wednesday. But according to NCS Commissioner Gil Lemmon, Tamalpais officials did not apply to host, and seventh-seeded Montgomery did, thus the game will be in Santa Rosa.

•Lemmon said in more than 30 years being involved with NCS, he couldn’t recall a No. 16 seed defeating a No. 1 seed as occurred last week when Upper Lake won 58-56 at Convent of the Sacred Heart in NCS Division 5 girls play. Eighth-seeded Clear Lake eliminated Upper Lake on Saturday, 48-40.

•Mission (28-1), the overwhelming favorite to win a fourth straight San Francisco Section boys title, closed the regular season by beating KIPP 100-47 and Burton 100-56. Twelve Mission players scored against Kipp and 11 versus Burton.

San Francisco Prep Hall of Fame: The late Merv Harris, a former Chronicle and Examiner high school sports editor, headlines a list of nine inductees into the Class of 2017 San Francisco Prep Hall of Fame.

Reactions: slick58
You only listed 7 teams for boys open, do you think they go 7 and #1 a bye or is there another team out there.. NCS D2 could be either BOD or MC??

You only listed 7 teams for boys open, do you think they go 7 and #1 a bye or is there another team out there.. NCS D2 could be either BOD or MC??

I'll be shocked if they don't end up with 8 teams, and I think BOD is in the running but Moreau's not likely to be in the conversation. Burbank or Whitney could get the call if they win the SJS D2, or the Mitty/SI winner could go, and all would probably get consideration over the Mariners this year, even if they win NCS D2.

Shit like this is dumb from a casual, uneducated about the circumstances, unbiased fan's perspective, unless Tam purposefully chose not to submit the application to host a semi. They hosted a first round game against Alameda.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Tam's gym isn't big enough to host a semi game. That is the reason that was given in the paper and makes the most logical sense. Also, no way is whitney or Burbank an open team. I don't even think Odowd is this year.

it's an easy solution to play at Redwood, College of Marin, or Dominican and keep it close to home, but I'm just some dude.

Burbank or Whitney could get the call if they win the SJS D2, or the Mitty/SI winner could go, and all would probably get consideration over the Mariners this year, even if they win NCS D2

Does anyone notice Mitty lost to Castro Valley this season? If that's ok then Moreau and BOD are considered.

Does anyone notice Mitty lost to Castro Valley this season? If that's ok then Moreau and BOD are considered.

Did you notice that Mitty beat Moreau? Head to head matters.

As for Burbank or Whitney, we'll see. BOD & Moreau both played tougher schedules, but both lost most of those tough games. BOD's win over Bishop Montgomery is a huge exception, & would be the thing that gets them into the open if they go, in my opinion.

I don't think that Dublin is eligible for the Open and would have to petition for inclusion (at least that's what I've read elsewhere). In my simple mind there are five no brainers for inclusion - Sheldon, Woodcreek, St Joseph's, Bellarmine and Salesian. After that it gets a little sketchy IMHO as Bishop O'Dowd has been inconsistent, DLS is down this year and any others would be one and done probably in a blow out.

I don't think that Dublin is eligible for the Open and would have to petition for inclusion (at least that's what I've read elsewhere). In my simple mind there are five no brainers for inclusion - Sheldon, Woodcreek, St Joseph's, Bellarmine and Salesian. After that it gets a little sketchy IMHO as Bishop O'Dowd has been inconsistent, DLS is down this year and any others would be one and done probably in a blow out.

DLS is certainly down this year compared to last year, but they are still very good, and if they can beat Heritage tonight and then take the finals this weekend, there is no doubt the defending NorCal Open champs will be selected to the Open. If they lose tonight, they probably won't get in, but lose in the finals they may still get in.

The gap between Sheldon & Woodcreek this year compared to the others is so wide IMO. The rest of the teams are very good but nowhere near the top 2 open. You never know in HS hoops but I doubt anybody challenges these 2. I plan on being at UOP saturday to watch the SJS games.

I would like to see dublin in d1. They could make a nice run.

Give Tam a lot of credit the last week going on the road 2x to beat Newman and Monty. Impressive for the #4 and #6 team to play in the NCS champ game. A lot of upsets yesterday across the board.

St Pats loses to Lick Wilmingding.
Vanden upset by Vista
Moreau over Odowd.
Tam Over Monty (not really an upset)
Beyer beats Burbank.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT