ADVERTISEMENT

The Oldest Of Playground Legends

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
A DROLL STORY:

They’re not your every day Hoopsters. But man they love the game!

Did you ever wonder why some shots just seem to hang on the rim? They may roll around, and hang there, maybe they go in, maybe not?

The kid at the playground was trying to get some info on them. It seemed like he would never stop pestering the old timer, who showed up at the playground every day.
The kid asked him, “ You actually saw them once?” That’s right kid, I did. It had been some years since anyone had shown this much interest, in one of the oldest of playground legends. “The Drolls “

Legend had it they were tiny hoopsters, invisible to humans. They would sit up on the rim during games, and play their own style of hoops.
Spinning the ball round and round in the cylinder, then pushing it in or out, depending on their mood, and the crowds reaction.
When a player took a shot, they would sit up there and decide whether they would let the ball drop, that is if it was a good shot, and was going in anyway.
They would scan the crowd and watch the expectations in the crowds eyes. Sometimes if the score was tied, they would play keep away for several shots, driving the crowd into a frenzy! Every so often they would snatch the ball and jam it between the rim and backboard.

Then watch in fun as some small kid, or out of shape old guy, try to jump up and dis-lodge it. “ Hey can we borrow your ball for a second?” They got a kick out of that . Kind of mean if you ask me.

I think Michael Jordan pissed them off with the tongue thing. I mean there he was, tongue wagging, flying to the hoop with no warning, and slamming it thru. They barely had time to get out of the way. That really made them really edgy.
They all had favorites. They loved Rodman. He livened things up for them. They would flip him the ball quite often, when he went up for rebounds. They just had their own crazy ways of doing things.

So, have you had enough storytelling he said to the kid?
You mean that was just a story, and not for real? I thought you said you saw them once? Well, I have never actually seen them, but I’ve seen what they can do.

Hey kid, I heard something recently. What’s that said the kid?
Last I heard, they were headed to Golden One Arena. Something about big high school crowds, and lot’s of fans to play with. Man those Drolls just love the game.

Here’s wishing you great hoops!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT