ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Gonsalves has resigned at St Mary’s

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
There is news out there that Tom Gonsalves has resigned at St Mary’s Stockton.

Tremendous run at the school.

Next hire for the Rams will be interesting.

I heard that as well ... there was an issue during the season when he didn't coach a couple games, but he came back to finish the year.

Great run for Tom, no question. I don't know, but my guess is that he may not coach in high school again.

Who would want to follow those footsteps? Going to be interesting.

I heard about it yesterday also and didn't know if I should believe it. I'm wondering if Omar will take over the program. He appears to have plenty of support from the parents and the players and he coached when Tom was out earlier this season. It's sad that coach Gonsalves didn't appear to have the support he deserved from the administration after all that success.

Wow. That’ll make some people happy, but those will be giant shoes to fill. Not many coaches out there who have accomplished what he has done.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Omar would not be a great hire! Omar is a great trainer but is not a good fit for leading such a high caliber program. He has never been a head coach and has only been an assistant for a few years. His business endeavors conflict with being the head coach of such a high-profile program. There are several high-quality coaches available who are more qualified and have a track record of success.

So sorry to see Tom go and wish him the absolute best in whatever he decides to do next!

becool... bruh i been waiting ALL DAY to hear you go in on this post!!!! you gotta come wit more heat than that cuddy!!!!

Reactions: GBBall4L
AK I am waiting in the weeds for some posts
About his great career... nobody has taken the bait.,. We have to wait for the lions to fall into the trap

What’s wrong with a trainer/ coach/ ex player being a head coach? Quiet is kept he’s probably responsible for a lot of the kids development in that program. It would also keep the continuity of the program together.

What’s wrong with a trainer/ coach/ ex player being a head coach? Quiet is kept he’s probably responsible for a lot of the kids development in that program. It would also keep the continuity of the program together.
I don't know who the asst is but I imagine it's easier when you are an asst and a trainer because wins and losses dont go on you. Many a trainer can train but leading a program such as st Mary's carries alot extra with it.

Reactions: OpenRun
There is a huge difference between being a head coach and being an assistant -- I've referenced the music movie about backup singers before ("20 Feet From Stardowm"), and in it Bruce Springsteen says "It's not very far (from the back of the stage to the front) but it's a long walk."

There is also a major difference between being a head coach of a low-profile program and one that's expected to compete for a state title every year. Mistakes that are tolerated or not even noticed at a small school are a big deal at a premier program, because the investment by everyone involved is so much greater.

If I were the AD at SMS, I would be looking to hire a head coach with at least three years experience (as a head coach) at a program that has had some postseason success.

He or she also needs to be able to recruit from middle schools to keep the talent flowing -- just showing up at SMS and expecting elite players to be there every year will not work. Even public school coaches have to recruit to be successful, even if it's only within their own school to draw girls who can choose between volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, water polo and basketball. The competition for talent is as important as the competition in games.

There is a huge difference between being a head coach and being an assistant -- I've referenced the music movie about backup singers before ("20 Feet From Stardowm"), and in it Bruce Springsteen says "It's not very far (from the back of the stage to the front) but it's a long walk."

There is also a major difference between being a head coach of a low-profile program and one that's expected to compete for a state title every year. Mistakes that are tolerated or not even noticed at a small school are a big deal at a premier program, because the investment by everyone involved is so much greater.

If I were the AD at SMS, I would be looking to hire a head coach with at least three years experience (as a head coach) at a program that has had some postseason success.

He or she also needs to be able to recruit from middle schools to keep the talent flowing -- just showing up at SMS and expecting elite players to be there every year will not work. Even public school coaches have to recruit to be successful, even if it's only within their own school to draw girls who can choose between volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, water polo and basketball. The competition for talent is as important as the competition in games.
that is what i was trying to say. LOL. I was in a rush. Being the head coach at Franklin or Lathrop is not the same as St Marys. They cant risk a bad hire and lose all that they have earned. Girls on highway 99 line up to play there. Cant lose that.

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
Antelope coach?
Que?
Lincoln Coach?

Antelope Coach is very happy at Antelope. I believe St. Marys need someone who understands private/charter school bylaws. I think Rob Spencer or Monica Mertle would be great, followed with Coach Que, Omar (assist has relationships with parents) and Michelle at Sac High. Tough to follow a legend at a place like St. Marys.

Antelope Coach is very happy at Antelope. I believe St. Marys need someone who understands private/charter school bylaws. I think Rob Spencer or Monica Mertle would be great, followed with Coach Que, Omar (assist has relationships with parents) and Michelle at Sac High. Tough to follow a legend at a place like St. Marys.
santa rosa to stockton is quite the trip and adjustment.
Rob and Michelle closer but do they have families that would make that move?
The Edison or Bear Creek boys coaches were girls coaches prior. We know it is much easier to win on the girls side than the boys side

I’m watching all these comments and can’t help but laugh. There is a reason Jackie G (St.Mary legend) trains n lean on advice from who she does. Make sure y’all are fact checking.

I’m watching all these comments and can’t help but laugh. There is a reason Jackie G (St.Mary legend) trains n lean on advice from who she does. Make sure y’all are fact checking.
I agree with his ability to train. Phil Handy trains tons of NBA players but would he be hired to be a head coach at that level? It takes a whole lot more to be the H.N.I.C.

Reactions: da real and OnBall8
Did he not prove that the two games Tom sat out this year? I think a lot of y’all are super critical but player development and players using that development in game is huge and the resume is proven. It would not hurt SMHS to give it a solid look.

The funny part is y’all are more accepting of Lawson at SJ then you are of this move why?

santa rosa to stockton is quite the trip and adjustment.
Rob and Michelle closer but do they have families that would make that move?
The Edison or Bear Creek boys coaches were girls coaches prior. We know it is much easier to win on the girls side than the boys side

it's easier to win on the girls side than the boys side? Winning is winning, no matter the gender of the players. That and the HNIC comment are just awful and poor taste..for reals

it's easier to win on the girls side than the boys side? Winning is winning, no matter the gender of the players. That and the HNIC comment are just awful and poor taste..for reals
Ask a coach. Look at St Marys dominance. It isnt a knock so get out ya feelings. There just arent as many talented girls spread out as boys. The best girls in an area all seem to be at 1 or 2 schools. Mostly private schools.

Did he not prove that the two games Tom sat out this year? I think a lot of y’all are super critical but player development and players using that development in game is huge and the resume is proven. It would not hurt SMHS to give it a solid look.

The funny part is y’all are more accepting of Lawson at SJ then you are of this move why?
I am sure he proved it. Hopefully they took notice.

Reactions: Militant1
Ask a coach. Look at St Marys dominance. It isnt a knock so get out ya feelings. There just arent as many talented girls spread out as boys. The best girls in an area all seem to be at 1 or 2 schools. Mostly private schools.

Tom was a very successful coach at Tokay years ago and got released because of something stupid kids did on a road trip. They weren't winning national championships but they were good. Ya think that being at a private school ALSO equates to being more successful? They have no recruiting boundaries and if the admin is supportive of girls athletics, then it's a win/win...especially in Stockton where the public schools aren't as appealing.

Omar is a great choice, if he wants the job. Like at stated before, he already has relationship with the players and families.

Reactions: Militant1
Tom was a very successful coach at Tokay years ago and got released because of something stupid kids did on a road trip. They weren't winning national championships but they were good. Ya think that being at a private school ALSO equates to being more successful? They have no recruiting boundaries and if the admin is supportive of girls athletics, then it's a win/win...especially in Stockton where the public schools aren't as appealing.
I agree with all you said. But why arent the boys winning national titles?

Experience on the Big Stage Matters! Being a good trainer is a plus, but only one tool in the toolbox of success for the next leader of such a high-profile basketball program. If I am the AD at St. Mary’s, I am looking for someone with not just head coaching experience but also winning experience.

The AD is replacing a Legend and Icon. The guy you are replacing has over 500 wins to include 13 straight section titles, 7 State Championships, and a National Championship. He was the recipient of the Naismith national coach of the year, Pat Summit national coach of the year, and MaxPreps national coach of the year awards.

This is not a normal hire!

I don’t want to throw names out since I don’t know who is interested but there are a number of good candidates that make a lot of sense.

Whoever it is, I think St Mary’s needs to move quickly

One reason that Tom was so successful was his system and he ran excellent practices. Many area coaches, from both girls and boys team, came to observe his practices. There were some St Marys fans who were not happy that Tom did not mind sharing his area of expertise with others. Specifically his defense and how he ran effective practices. His defense became less effective over the years, but his practices were always top-notch. His players always commented that they played harder in practices than they did in games.

If Omar is being considered and he wants the job, the fact that he learned the system would for two years would be in his favor. Not to say that there can not be changes, but it is always good to take the strengths if each system and adapt them to your own system.

Reactions: Streak One
Stockton is a dump,,I assume Omar is already in Stockton and
he doesn't mind...I lived 2 blocks from the school... crime in good times(for the US)
was rampant.. I can only imagine if this shutdown continues the already high unemployment will be skyhigh....like the Zombie Apocalypse...nobody from the bay area should go to that place

Reactions: Coach_Case
Alexis Gray-Lawson was a successful head high school coach in Minnesota for six years, so she has experience in running a program that went deep into postseason.

Relationships with parents are critical in any high-profile job, but it's one thing to be a good-cop assistant and quite another to be the main guy and move a girl out of the starting lineup or down in the rotation.

And game management is much more difficult than it appears from the stands, or even sitting there as an assistant.

I have no opinion on whether Omar would be a good hire or not, as assistants often step right up and do well. However, they also sometimes don't do as well as the AD hoped.

I've heard the process may move quickly, though ...

One reason that Tom was so successful was his system and he ran excellent practices. Many area coaches, from both girls and boys team, came to observe his practices. There were some St Marys fans who were not happy that Tom did not mind sharing his area of expertise with others. Specifically his defense and how he ran effective practices. His defense became less effective over the years, but his practices were always top-notch. His players always commented that they played harder in practices than they did in games.

If Omar is being considered and he wants the job, the fact that he learned the system would for two years would be in his favor. Not to say that there can not be changes, but it is always good to take the strengths if each system and adapt them to your own system.

Tom was one of the first to run the 2-2-1 system a while ago and if you look around, everyone tries to run it the same. Some are similar and others are not. He was successful running this system and produced a majority of his points off of the press. Those kids were taught to have no mercy and if you get a coach with a cutthroat mentality, they'll respond. You don't need to have a cookie cutter clone of Tom, just someone passionate and coaches with enthusiasm.

On a side note, nobody mentioned Pico Wilburn....he did coach out there a few years ago with some success.

Tom was one of the first to run the 2-2-1 system a while ago and if you look around, everyone tries to run it the same. Some are similar and others are not. He was successful running this system and produced a majority of his points off of the press.
Teams have caught up in this realm. It's the norm that they see all the time, year round. SMS still had great players to be successful doing it, but the system was nothing special towards the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT