ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Gonsalves has resigned at St Mary’s

To all this may concern,

At first when I heard that my name was being mentioned in this thread forum I told myself I was not going to entertain the comments in this posts regardless if they were positive or negative. But at this moment I feel it is only right for me to speak on behalf of myself. I’ve been in the girls basketball community over 10 years now and have put in years upon years and hours upon hours to try to help elevate girls basketball as a whole in Northern California and Im sure Doug Benton himself can attest to this. There’s no doubt that I’m one of the many top player development coaches in Northern California possibly in the state which my background of players that I have helped produce from the “ground” up proves. While I agree that many trainers, former players and so on have a hard time transitioning into a lead Head coaching role in many situations I feel that applies to only some people and doesn’t apply to me. I take pride in my craft and do so with passion. I take pride in my relationships just as much when it comes to this game. I’m sure if any of you sat with me and had a conversation about basketball with me after 5 to 10 minutes you will understand why I’m so respected up and down the West Coast from college coaches of every level to high school coaches of every level. My relationships with players and coaches on and off the court is a factor of me being considered for ANY said coaching position at the high school girls level. The biggest issue I have with the comments on here is that many of you think these last two section championships were won by Tom alone. There was a reason why I was ask to come aboard and it wasn’t to “train players” It was to COACH! The success we had the last two year was a collective effort from our entire coaching staff. I feel we were just starting to break ground into a new direction this season which had me excited to move forward with this group of coaches and players. My job coming into Saint Mary’s was not to be just a “trainer” as many of you have stated but it was to come and provide my knowledge to the game and add a piece to what was already there. I’m confident enough to know that I can sit with the best of the best High school coaches in the state and have basketball conversations about the game inside and out and do so comfortably because of who I am and because of what I know and what I’ve done. Anyone stepping in the shoes of The legendary legacy Tom has left behind Is in an uphill battle regardless of their experience because you’re battling 20+ years of greatness. Now to be quit honest I was not interested in applying for the head coaching position nor was I approached about it. But I just though I should be the one to lay down the fact in regards to me. Ive been doing this for a very long time behind the scenes without looking for any applause or acknowledgement from the public eye so the fact that some of you have spoken highly of me is a plus. But, go ask some of your favorite high profile coaches in Nor Cal and they will tell you Omar a) knows what he is talking about b) he knows what he is doing ! With that said I hope that the girls of SM get someone who can help lead and mold them on and off the court. Also, I wish Tom nothing but the best. We learned a lot from each other these last two seasons both on and off the court and I consider him a good friend of mines.

Teams have caught up in this realm. It's the norm that they see all the time, year round. SMS still had great players to be successful doing it, but the system was nothing special towards the end.

Well, there's a reason why you don't see many college coaches running it at the higher level..it's too easy to break. at the high school level, kids are less developed and more prone to mistakes. A lot of coaches (not saying tom) run 2-2-1 because it's what they see and the only thing they know. A lot of coaches don't get better by going to clinics, watching other HS/college/Pro teams practices...so they just go with what they know. Not saying its bad, but sometimes, hindering development as a coach hinders development for the players.

To all this may concern,

At first when I heard that my name was being mentioned in this thread forum I told myself I was not going to entertain the comments in this posts regardless if they were positive or negative. But at this moment I feel it is only right for me to speak on behalf of myself. I’ve been in the girls basketball community over 10 years now and have put in years upon years and hours upon hours to try to help elevate girls basketball as a whole in Northern California and Im sure Doug Benton himself can attest to this. There’s no doubt that I’m one of the many top player development coaches in Northern California possibly in the state which my background of players that I have helped produce from the “ground” up proves. While I agree that many trainers, former players and so on have a hard time transitioning into a lead Head coaching role in many situations I feel that applies to only some people and doesn’t apply to me. I take pride in my craft and do so with passion. I take pride in my relationships just as much when it comes to this game. I’m sure if any of you sat with me and had a conversation about basketball with me after 5 to 10 minutes you will understand why I’m so respected up and down the West Coast from college coaches of every level to high school coaches of every level. My relationships with players and coaches on and off the court is a factor of me being considered for ANY said coaching position at the high school girls level. The biggest issue I have with the comments on here is that many of you think these last two section championships were won by Tom alone. There was a reason why I was ask to come aboard and it wasn’t to “train players” It was to COACH! The success we had the last two year was a collective effort from our entire coaching staff. I feel we were just starting to break ground into a new direction this season which had me excited to move forward with this group of coaches and players. My job coming into Saint Mary’s was not to be just a “trainer” as many of you have stated but it was to come and provide my knowledge to the game and add a piece to what was already there. I’m confident enough to know that I can sit with the best of the best High school coaches in the state and have basketball conversations about the game inside and out and do so comfortably because of who I am and because of what I know and what I’ve done. Anyone stepping in the shoes of The legendary legacy Tom has left behind Is in an uphill battle regardless of their experience because you’re battling 20+ years of greatness. Now to be quit honest I was not interested in applying for the head coaching position nor was I approached about it. But I just though I should be the one to lay down the fact in regards to me. Ive been doing this for a very long time behind the scenes without looking for any applause or acknowledgement from the public eye so the fact that some of you have spoken highly of me is a plus. But, go ask some of your favorite high profile coaches in Nor Cal and they will tell you Omar a) knows what he is talking about b) he knows what he is doing ! With that said I hope that the girls of SM get someone who can help lead and mold them on and off the court. Also, I wish Tom nothing but the best. We learned a lot from each other these last two seasons both on and off the court and I consider him a good friend of mines.

Few are as well connected in the girls basketball community as Omar. I think the results speak for themselves in terms of teaching acumen.

Whoever gets the St Mary’s job has challenges like following a legend like Tom, keeping the roster intact and putting their own imprint on the program. If Interested, I hope Omar gets a long look.

All this reminds me of the time I coached pop Warner football and all these coaches who didnt achieve squat as players, thought they were responsible for their gifted athletes later success. If trainers and coaches were responsible for all the greatness then why is there only one Chelsea Gray or one Jackie G? It damn for sure ain't because of a trainer or a coach. it's because these very rare girls had tremendous desire and work ethic and no one but them should be claimin the credit. Y'all need to understand who's really putting in the work...

All this reminds me of the time I coached pop Warner football and all these coaches who didnt achieve squat as players, thought they were responsible for their gifted athletes later success. If trainers and coaches were responsible for all the greatness then why is there only one Chelsea Gray or one Jackie G? It damn for sure ain't because of a trainer or a coach. it's because these very rare girls had tremendous desire and work ethic and no one but them should be claimin the credit. Y'all need to understand who's really putting in the work...

I kinda agree with you. while jackie and chelsea would have been great players wherever they went, a good trainer or coach would only get them better. Even the greatest basketball player that ever lived had a shooting coach that made him MJ. Worked on him with footwork, spent thousands of hours with him in the gym. remember the knock on him coming out of college was he wasn't a good shooter...well hard work by him and implemented by his trainer made him who i is today. Yes it's the player putting in those hours, but give credit to a trainer/coach to also work with him.

That said, I can't tell you how many players I've seen that go to trainers here in the bay area (and all over i imagine) and still have terrible mechanics, footwork, or how to properly attack a player. But what these trainers are good at, is dribbling and tossing up a tennis ball, or dribbling with two balls...if they could that in a game, they'd be all americans. Training people how to shoot or to attack the basket are is very good for individual development especially if they know how to teach attacking parts of the body or 1-2 step/hop and follow through. Good trainers are hard to find, but if you find a good one, consider yourself lucky if you put in the work.

I kinda agree with you. while jackie and chelsea would have been great players wherever they went, a good trainer or coach would only get them better. Even the greatest basketball player that ever lived had a shooting coach that made him MJ. Worked on him with footwork, spent thousands of hours with him in the gym. remember the knock on him coming out of college was he wasn't a good shooter...well hard work by him and implemented by his trainer made him who i is today. Yes it's the player putting in those hours, but give credit to a trainer/coach to also work with him.

That said, I can't tell you how many players I've seen that go to trainers here in the bay area (and all over i imagine) and still have terrible mechanics, footwork, or how to properly attack a player. But what these trainers are good at, is dribbling and tossing up a tennis ball, or dribbling with two balls...if they could that in a game, they'd be all americans. Training people how to shoot or to attack the basket are is very good for individual development especially if they know how to teach attacking parts of the body or 1-2 step/hop and follow through. Good trainers are hard to find, but if you find a good one, consider yourself lucky if you put in the work.

Good point, trainers can be the catalyst for enhancing skills to a higher level no doubt and coaches produce wins....it takes a village. With regards to the St. Marys job, i've heard Elite IQ hoops is legit, and i'm sure Omar would be a great choice, cause all head coaches were assistants at some point. I've heard about a lot of average athletes getting good at basketball because of his training. But there's a few others out there that actually seek out talented players to use them as advertisements for their training. Many aau coaches do this as well, they recruit all star talent and then try to act like their coaching is the key ingredient. It's just important to keep in mind that it's the kids that actually do the physical grinding:)

Reactions: Eliteiqhoops
There's a lot more to being a good coach than assembling and developing talent, though that's the foundation of success.

The first, and most important, thing is to get that talent to play hard.

Second, is to get players to accept their roles.

Third, is to understand, communicate and implement offensive and defensive systems that take advantage of that talent.

And at the same time, keep parents and administrators from sabotaging the program through meddling and lack of understanding of the realities of high school basketball.

Obviously, most head coaches were assistants at one time, but my point is that experience as a head coach is different than experience as an assistant, and that being plunged into the fire of an elite program without prior head coaching experience -- note that the two things are I feel are most important are not things that assistants are necessarily responsible for -- is a very difficult task.

Can some make the jump easily? Of course. Could Omar be one of them? Of course.

I hope Omar gets the chance to prove himself and does well, but who knows what the priorities of the administration are? If Tom's public comments accurately reflect their desire to pull back from being ultra-successful, they may decide to sever all ties with Tom's program.

Or not.

Hopefully we'll find out soon ...

Regarding the issue of coaching, winning and talent, let us hearken back to that tired, old adage that still rings true today: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

There's a lot more to being a good coach than assembling and developing talent, though that's the foundation of success.

The first, and most important, thing is to get that talent to play hard.

Second, is to get players to accept their roles.

Third, is to understand, communicate and implement offensive and defensive systems that take advantage of that talent.

And at the same time, keep parents and administrators from sabotaging the program through meddling and lack of understanding of the realities of high school basketball.

Obviously, most head coaches were assistants at one time, but my point is that experience as a head coach is different than experience as an assistant, and that being plunged into the fire of an elite program without prior head coaching experience -- note that the two things are I feel are most important are not things that assistants are necessarily responsible for -- is a very difficult task.

Can some make the jump easily? Of course. Could Omar be one of them? Of course.

I hope Omar gets the chance to prove himself and does well, but who knows what the priorities of the administration are? If Tom's public comments accurately reflect their desire to pull back from being ultra-successful, they may decide to sever all ties with Tom's program.

Or not.

Hopefully we'll find out soon ...
What were the comments

Reactions: ARHS Stats
It's online in the Sacramento Bee -- but basically he said he didn't think the administration wanted to be as competitive as he did. But look for yourself ... don't want to set false expectations.

It's online in the Sacramento Bee -- but basically he said he didn't think the administration wanted to be as competitive as he did. But look for yourself ... don't want to set false expectations.

Translation.....we are not going to continue financially supporting all your ringers with tuition.

The real question. Are you a candidate for the job?!?

Translation.....we are not going to continue financially supporting all your ringers with tuition.

I swear it's funny...everyone thinks there is so much money to give girls basketball at private schools and that every kid is there on full ride. I know 1-2 kids on that team who's parents MOVED to stockton so that they could be coached by tom and play for SMB and pay full tuition. for parents that can afford it, they'll pay. For those in need, it's not just given, but there are things they have to do for the school to get tuition assistance. It's like that at almost every parochial school and would be surprised if it's not the case at SMB

Reactions: GBBall4L
This is a bad situation for both parties IMO but it also shouldn’t be lost that one of the most successful coaches this region has ever seen is leaving the program where that success happened.

Clay wrote a well done article about Tom’s impact at St Mary’s.

https://sportstarsmag.com/tom-gonsalves-basketball-resignation/

He's too young to retire...im sure he'll resurrect another place with hopes of mirroring the SMS success. With what he's done, there's no doubt that he can rebuild at another place.

Thanks for the kind words, Doug ... my head coaching days are done, I'm pretty sure. That's a young man's game.

On the way out the door Tom told everyone that the team wont be the same without him. Gonna be tough for the next coach.

it's easier to win on the girls side than the boys side? Winning is winning, no matter the gender of the players. That and the HNIC comment are just awful and poor taste..for reals

It is easier to win on the girls side vrs. The boys side with that not being a knock on gender. The gap between good and bad on the boy’s side is much smaller than on the girl’s side. The elite girl teams are way better than just a simply good girls team but the gap between elite boys and good teams aren’t that great for example, Sheldon the jewel of the North lost to Jesuit and Consumes Oaks both good teams but on Sheldon’s best night and there best night they loss by thirty. Mitty's girls are not losing to any middle of the road girl teams, no matter what night it is.

Reactions: GBBall4L and ClayK
It is easier to win on the girls side vrs. The boys side with that not being a knock on gender. The gap between good and bad on the boy’s side is much smaller than on the girl’s side. The elite girl teams are way better than just a simply good girls team but the gap between elite boys and good teams aren’t that great for example, Sheldon the jewel of the North lost to Jesuit and Consumes Oaks both good teams but on Sheldon’s best night and there best night they loss by thirty. Mitty's girls are not losing to any middle of the road girl teams, no matter what night it is.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are just more boys who are alot better to spread out than there are girls. So if 2-3 teams in an area attract all the good girl athletes that makes it easier if you are a coach at those particular schools. That is why it is easier.

Reactions: Coach_Case
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are just more boys who are alot better to spread out than there are girls. So if 2-3 teams in an area attract all the good girl athletes that makes it easier if you are a coach at those particular schools. That is why it is easier.

On the other hand, it makes it that much harder if you’re at a school that isn’t able to attract all the good girl athletes.

Let's face it, it's all about recruiting. Those with less integrity are the one's that accumulate the most talent. Call up any public school coach and ask them. Think of your favorite coach you ever had, I doubt they were the most winning coach you've ever had, because your best coaches don't do it for their egos, they do it cause they love competing, but mostly because of the relationships. My guess is coach G is the most aggressive recruiter out there. And if he does show up somewhere to coach again, a million bucks says he won't do it unless it's at another private school where he can impose his will. If I had Chelsea gray, Jackie g and then decosta, I might have 3 national championships:D

Let's face it, it's all about recruiting. Those with less integrity are the one's that accumulate the most talent. Call up any public school coach and ask them. Think of your favorite coach you ever had, I doubt they were the most winning coach you've ever had, because your best coaches don't do it for their egos, they do it cause they love competing, but mostly because of the relationships. My guess is coach G is the most aggressive recruiter out there. And if he does show up somewhere to coach again, a million bucks says he won't do it unless it's at another private school where he can impose his will. If I had Chelsea gray, Jackie g and then decosta, I might have 3 national championships:D
My educated prediction is I’ll take your million bucks, Tom will be back soon and it will be at a public school. That’s all I can say

BC that would be hilarious...then SMS would continue to treat BC like they didn't exist...that would be fun to to see

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT