ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's scores - Fri 9/16

DLS defense looked porous...they gave up alot of yardage but did get stout at the redzone. The passing attack was terrible. They have some very good players but the are at a level below the elite teams in this state and looks like at least 3 to 5 of them in Socal that are better.

Agree- the biggest surprise for DLS this year so far has been the run defense. Very unusual for them to be so ineffective. It doesn't get any easier with the big guy heading to OO field next week.

I would not discount DLS because they lost to an OOS team. No Norcal team has yet to beat them in years. But, some may think this year may be the best opportunity for the streak to end. Pitt or Monte Vista probably has the best chance since the other potential teams may not get a shot this year due to the Folsom rule. But, if DLS gets thru NCS teams and playoffs, they are probably still destined for the Open game. Any chance the Folsom Rule can be lifted? I'm guessing there are some SJS teams wishing they can get a shot at them. LOL.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
I will be surprised if St Mary's scores more than 14 and limits SJB to less than 40

Get ready to be surprised. SJB is no doubt very good, ranked nationally, etc., etc. Although Bishop Gorman is probably the best team in the country, the way they were able to go deep with their aerial attack and score against SJB at will, I can't help but give St. Mary's a chance of going to the air vs SJB's secondary. Sure, St. Mary's is not Bishop Gorman. But, the Rams have some (not just 1 or 2, more like 3 or 4) speedy WR's and a very accurate QB. If they can protect him against SJB's pass rush, this game could get quite interesting. Sure, SJB's offense will give St. Mary's D fits, especially their dual threat QB, who in my opinion is more of a threat on the ground than thru the air. I can't help but love St. Mary's offense this year. There is something special in this O that still has me feeling it's their best, even better than 2009 and 2004. Yes, SJB has a huge line. But, St. Mary's line has yet to be challenged. I would not count out St. Mary's just yet. They still have to play the game. I accept being a 3 or 4 TD underdog, but no doubt St. Mary's will be up for the challenge.

Could be Del Oro. They probably have the best win in NorCal so far.

I'm not so sure about St. Mary's defense. We'll see against St. John Bosco.

Bellarmine looks good.

Milpitas whipped Antioch, but barely got by Salinas tonight 9-3.

I think the best team in the NCS could be Pittsburg.

I warned people, again, not to take Bellarmine lightly and they hung right in against DO as I expected. You're probably right about it being the best NorCal win thus far.

Agreed about SM's defense. IMO, their only chance to seriously challenge SJB is to pace them offensively -- which might not be easy to do considering the level of defense the Braves are able to play.

Lastly, I also agree about Pittsburg. While DLS will in all likelyhood do what they do every year and beat any NorCal team they play, if I didn't know anything about either program and only went off the games played this season -- I'd probably take Pitt over DLS right now.

There is something special in this O that still has me feeling it's their best, even better than 2009 and 2004.

That's a pretty bold statement. You surely are optimistic.

You've seen more St. Mary's football than I have, but this offense has a lot more to prove before I even mention them in the same sentence with the 2009 offense.

Wow what a night. A few things I'm taking away so far.
DLS is very vulnerable this year. Should have 2 losses right now. I think MV gets them in league.
Antioch might have been the most overrated team in history of Norcalpreps. Rancho is down this year and nearly beat them.
OR can't get over the Reed, NV curse. But does that loss really hurt OR? No. I mean it tells me thought that Reed has a great program and consistently beats one of the best SJS team though.
St Mary's of Stockton is the real deal this year. I have them #2 in Norcal behind DLS but its close.
I don't think anybody and I mean anybody picked Sac High to beat Folsom. Congrats. Folsom lost a lot from their O-line and QB.

Wow what a night. A few things I'm taking away so far.
DLS is very vulnerable this year. Should have 2 losses right now. I think MV gets them in league.
Antioch might have been the most overrated team in history of Norcalpreps. Rancho is down this year and nearly beat them.
OR can't get over the Reed, NV curse. But does that loss really hurt OR? No. I mean it tells me thought that Reed has a great program and consistently beats one of the best SJS team though.
St Mary's of Stockton is the real deal this year. I have them #2 in Norcal behind DLS but its close.
I don't think anybody and I mean anybody picked Sac High to beat Folsom. Congrats. Folsom lost a lot from their O-line and QB.

Good morning double L double 3....pretty early, just told the waitress to bring you over a cup of coffee.
Agree that this is not The Spartans' finest year to date. Still do not think anybody on their schedule in the North will beat them and that includes Mr Haener and his herd of Mustangs. Should be a great game since it will be the last regular season game for both. Lucky for DLS that it is on Owen-Owens Field. Last night the fans on both sides of the Field were charged......the most energy I've seen in several years.

Last edited:

You've seen more St. Mary's football than I have, but this offense has a lot more to prove before I even mention them in the same

You've seen more St. Mary's football than I have, but this offense has a lot more to prove before I even mention them in the same sentence with the 2009 offense.

Calpreps projections:

[2016] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 42, [2009] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 28

[2016] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 52, [2004] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 19

Although 2009 had Josh Harper, Louie Lechich, and Justin Cox, along with Marcus McDade at QB, and Maurice Howze at RB, IMHO, I like the 2016 Ram offense more. The 2009 WR's are better than 2016 WR's, strongly due to Josh Harper. 2009 QB McDade had a stronger arm than 2016's Dunniway, but I like Dunniway's accuracy and ability to check down field and look off different targets before throwing. Much of this advantage is due to the O-line, which IMHO is much better than 2009. Also, IMHO, I would take 2016's Dusty Frampton over Howze big. IMHO, the big difference is that 2016's O-line and RB are much better, which has allowed the 2016 to have a stronger balanced offense and open up the passing game more. Dusty Frampton's running ability has forced defenses to crowd the box, which has enabled Dunniway to put up better stats than McDade. Not to mention, the 2016 offense is facing much stronger competition during the regular season and putting up these stats.

2009 Del Oro was able to zero in on the Rams passing game during the 2nd half in that game because there was no threat of the Rams running the ball. In fact, the Rams even got desperate and put Josh Harper at QB in the wildcat to try and get the ground game going. If the 2009 team had the 2016's O-line and Frampton in the backfield, chances are the outcome could have been different. Let's see how this 2016 Ram offense does against SJB. If it can compete and if the Rams can score against one of the top defenses in the country, I believe it will confirm my analysis. Even if it struggles a bit, I still believe it would fair better vs SJB than the 2009 offense. Not meaning to take anything away from the 2009 offense. I just feel this 2016 offense is something special, and the likes of it, indeed, reminds me of 2009 and 2004. Frampton is a beast and IMHO, the difference maker. Cosumnes Oaks is not SJB, but for Frampton to roll with nearly 150 yards just in the first half, his performance against Serra and Cardinal Newman, and respectable performance against Central Catholic, I believe says all that needs to be said. Very curious if St. Mary's O-line can compete with SJB's D-line (wishful dreaming) and create holes for Frampton. If he gets thru any type of holes, watch out! Hence, it will be important for Dunniway to have an A-game against SJB's secondary to stretch it a bit. Very difficult task, indeed, but doable. DLS, themselves, have proven that you don't have to be bigger in the trenches to win the trenches. Speed over size. Crossing my fingers and pulling out my lucky rabbits foot. Praying for a shootout and a miracle outcome.

BTW, the St. Mary's defense vs Central Catholic and Cosumnes Oaks has been night and day compared to games vs Serra and Cardinal Newman. They are hitting hard and have found a way to stuff the run and depend on the secondary to make the aerial stops. Lord knows SJB is at a different level than all of these teams. But, maybe, just maybe, St. Mary's is a bit closer to this other level, as well. We will find out in about a week.

GO RAMS!!! RAMPRIDE FOREVER!

Reactions: FBAddict
I really think this is the year DLS loses to a norcal foe. Maybe its MV or Pitt? Both have been very impressive especially Pitt who has played a good schedule. I just have a feeling. I mean is Sac High beating Folsom a bigger upset than a possible DLS losing to MV or Pitt this year? Did anybody in their mind see that game even close? I didn't. I thought maybe DO or OR would get Folsom. Congrats to the dragons. Has to be the biggest win in that programs history??

I mean is Sac High beating Folsom a bigger upset than a possible DLS losing to MV or Pitt this year? Did anybody in their mind see that game even close? I didn't.

I didn't believe Sac would win, but I did think they'd give them a good game. They hung with JSerra for a half and played better than the final score indicated. So I figured they'd provide a challenge to Folsom. But I certainly was more than a little surprised once I saw they were up 32-14.

Many props to Coach Reber. We talked about the aggressive scheduling in another thread, but to be able to follow it up with a ginormous win like that is more than he probably could have asked for. It's one thing to take the risk of scheduling tough teams, but to breakthrough this soon is commendable. I said I'd be keeping my eye on the Dragons but wasn't expecting a result like this so soon.

Wonderful coaching job and a major tip of the cap to the kids who did the work on the field.

Calpreps projections:

[2016] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 42, [2009] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 28

[2016] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 52, [2004] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 19

I appreciate and respect your detailed breakdown, but don't put ANY stock into these calpreps projections. They are just silly. The 2nd projection is an absolute joke.

Might just as well consult a magic 8-ball.

I appreciate and respect your detailed breakdown, but don't put ANY stock into these calpreps projections. They are just silly. The 2nd projection is an absolute joke.

Might just as well consult a magic 8-ball.

Calpreps? Yes, totally agree not to trust them:

neutral field
[2016] St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) 48, [2016] St. Mary's (Stockton, CA) 22

LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT