ADVERTISEMENT

TOP TEAMS....NEXT YEAR

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
since I broached the subject on another thread....

This years graduating class is pretty solid leaving some of the top programs with something they aren't used to...question marks...

I have no doubt that teams like Mitty, Salesian, CLET and Pinewood will reload but for the 1st time in awhile they will come into a season NOT the favorites.

So who are the VERY early favorites for next year?

Off the top of my head...

My top 5

1. SJND
2. Antelope
3. SMS
4. Bear Creek
5. MM

with potential to break thru.....

Mitty
PW (based on respect for staff/program, not so much on returning talent)
CN
Salesian (see PW comment)
Menlo
BOD (see PW comment)
SRV

***feel free to add any teams I may have missed as this is off the top of my head...

IM GOING TO MAKE A BOLD STATEMENT NOW....

The NORTH should consider sending NO TEAMS to the OPEN next year and just let the SOUTH play it out as I don't see any team being an OPEN caliber team next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBJ6

This years graduating class is pretty solid leaving some of the top programs with something they aren't used to...question marks...

I have no doubt that teams like Mitty, Salesian, CLET and Pinewood will reload but for the 1st time in awhile they will come into a season NOT the favorites.

My top 5

1. SJND
2. Antelope
3. SMS
4. Bear Creek
5. MM

Mitty
CN
Menlo
BOD (see PW comment)
SRV

***feel free to add any teams I may have missed as this is off the top of my head...

The NORTH should consider sending NO TEAMS to the OPEN next year and just let the SOUTH play it out as I don't see any team being an OPEN caliber team next year.
I would add California to the watch list. They return everyone from a very good team this year.

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
I would add California to the watch list. They return everyone from a very good team this year.

Not top teams but top 20 considerations:

Good call on Cal.
San Leadnro- A team that's done pretty well the last two years with a young team is San Leandro. They were pretty good for being very young and now will be year 3 with this group of kids.
Alameda returns everyone but one player. Givens should be considered one of the better players in the Eastbay. does a lot for that team.
Christian Brothers from sac was also very young and deep playoff experience

Mitty, BOD (they lost love and holland but a solid team), Salesian will all reload and/or get kids to transfer in. so probably won't know till late December/January what teams will actually look like.

Reactions: LBJ6
Not top teams but top 20 considerations:

Good call on Cal.
San Leadnro- A team that's done pretty well the last two years with a young team is San Leandro. They were pretty good for being very young and now will be year 3 with this group of kids.
Alameda returns everyone but one player. Givens should be considered one of the better players in the Eastbay. does a lot for that team.
Christian Brothers from sac was also very young and deep playoff experience

Mitty, BOD (they lost love and holland but a solid team), Salesian will all reload and/or get kids to transfer in. so probably won't know till late December/January what teams will actually look like.

No love for the OAL?
Oakland Tech brings back everyone except Tiffany Siu. ( Who played great ) If they find a guard to replace, they will be tough.

Here's wishing you great hoops

For the first time in a long time, there doesn't appear to be a dominant player (or two or three) on an elite team -- that's not to say that Kennedy Johnson from O'Dowd or Mya Blake from Bear Creek or Anya Choice from Cardinal Newman (among others) aren't outstanding, but rather that, off the top of my head, I don't see many candidates for the McDonald's game.

Which means that it looks like we have a lot of pretty good teams that on any given night etc.

As for the Open, I think we'll still see six, but obviously Mater Dei and Sierra Canyon will be heavy favorites (or whoever comes from the South). But if the South keeps eight in the Open, and the North six, there should be hope in D-I and D-II.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Sequoia and Palo Alto will have very good teams on the public school side. Both teams return 4 starters. They played in the CCS D1 Championship Game this year, with Sequoia winning. I see the same thing happening next year. They look to be the top two public schools in the section. Both teams had young starters last year

My top 5

1. SJND
2. Antelope
3. SMS
4. Bear Creek
5. MM

Mitty
CN
Menlo
BOD (see PW comment)
SRV

You have your finger right on it. Only team I would add is Heritage. They aren't going anywhere and will be in the mix again next year.

Sequoia and Palo Alto will have very good teams on the public school side. Both teams return 4 starters. They played in the CCS D1 Championship Game this year, with Sequoia winning. I see the same thing happening next year. They look to be the top two public schools in the section. Both teams had young starters last year

Doesn't Aptos return its key kids as well?

Lot of the teams I have are already mentioned, but I'll post a full list still (no order)

St. Joseph
Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
O'Dowd
Carondelet (might have the biggest fall of the top teams from this year)
Miramonte
Oakland Tech
Menlo
Antelope
St. Mary's-S
Bear Creek
Christian Brothers
McClatchy
San Ramon Valley
Cal
San Leandro
Lincoln-Stockton

Lot of the teams I have are already mentioned, but I'll post a full list still (no order)

St. Joseph
Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
O'Dowd
Miramonte
Oakland Tech
Menlo
Antelope
St. Mary's-S
Bear Creek
Christian Brothers
McClatchy
San Ramon Valley
Cal
San Leandro
Lincoln-Stockton

Heritage needs to be on that list. They might win NCS D1 next year.

My top 5

1. SJND
2. Antelope
3. SMS
4. Bear Creek
5. MM

Mitty
CN
Menlo
BOD (see PW comment)
SRV

No love for the Irish?

St. Joseph
Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
O'Dowd
Miramonte
Oakland Tech
Menlo
Antelope
St. Mary's-S

I know it's blasphemous to talk about a public school, but Palo Alto returns a dynamic backcourt and some size up front. Would not be shocking to see them in the CCS (but not Norcal) Open next year.

For the first time in a long time, there doesn't appear to be a dominant player (or two or three) on an elite team -- that's not to say that Kennedy Johnson from O'Dowd or Mya Blake from Bear Creek or Anya Choice from Cardinal Newman (among others) aren't outstanding, but rather that, off the top of my head, I don't see many candidates for the McDonald's game.

Which means that it looks like we have a lot of pretty good teams that on any given night etc.

As for the Open, I think we'll still see six, but obviously Mater Dei and Sierra Canyon will be heavy favorites (or whoever comes from the South). But if the South keeps eight in the Open, and the North six, there should be hope in D-I and D-II.

Cutting it to six is a start. I want us to cut it to 4 teams. Tired of throwing teams into the meat grinder.

Reactions: CityBoy415
The younger Muse is very good, I would say potentially better than her sister. She will make an impact immediately.

Reactions: CoachDViks
Cutting it to six is a start. I want us to cut it to 4 teams. Tired of throwing teams into the meat grinder.

I think 4 teams would be better for the North also.

Id even go so far as to leave the top 2 seeds open in D1 and give the 1st round Open losers the 1 and 2 seed(with a bye) into the 2nd round of D1. Then there would be absolutely zero issues with anybody potentially tanking (or being accused of tanking) games to stay out of the OPEN as there would be no downside to being placed into the OPEN.

Reactions: redjuice

Jzaniya Harriel is pretty legit.

I think 4 teams would be better for the North also.

Id even go so far as to leave the top 2 seeds open in D1 and give the 1st round Open losers the 1 and 2 seed(with a bye) into the 2nd round of D1. Then there would be absolutely zero issues with anybody potentially tanking (or being accused of tanking) games to stay out of the OPEN as there would be no downside to being placed into the OPEN.
Sign me up for this

Reactions: kiddman32
Nice! How are they looking at the guard position?

They have a couple of good guards coming back, but it’s tough to replace someone like Sweeney. They lost a frosh starting guard to injury shortly before facing Carondelet in the NCS finals. They’ll be very competitive, especially with the loss of so many great seniors in NorCal this year.

I don't think anyone in D1 can beat Miramonte next year. Personal opinion and I know we still have to play the games yes. O dowd will have a cake walk to D2 next year with no MM

I don't think anyone in D1 can beat Miramonte next year. Personal opinion and I know we still have to play the games yes. O dowd will have a cake walk to D2 next year with no MM

What’s the reason Miramonte moves up to D1 while BOD was better this year and remains in D2? How many years back do they go to factor into who moves up or down? If they’re really looking for competitive equity, why don’t they just move up both to D1, along with Salesian, CN & St. Joes? It’s clear they’re all better than most other D1 teams.

What’s the reason Miramonte moves up to D1 while BOD was better this year and remains in D2? How many years back do they go to factor into who moves up or down? If they’re really looking for competitive equity, why don’t they just move up both to D1, along with Salesian, CN & St. Joes? It’s clear they’re all better than most other D1 teams.
No clue the reason. None of it makes sense to me. I just saw the NCS list that miramonte is D1 this season. Why are they D1 and not O dowd girls? Anyone know?

it's a three year rotation in each division. Next year will be BOD's final year in D2 then they'll move up...barring that they don't make playoffs.

The reason BOD is a year behind is the year they played too many games and weren't in the NCS postseason. NCS moves teams up based solely on performance in NCS playoffs, and it's a three-year total. Since BOD got zero one year, they're a year behind.

And slotting first-round Open losers into the D1 playoffs makes sense, I think, but it logistically complicated. Don't know if a system could be devised that would make it through the process required to put it in place.

And slotting first-round Open losers into the D1 playoffs makes sense, I think, but it logistically complicated. Don't know if a system could be devised that would make it through the process required to put it in place.
Logistics aside, this will never happen. The recent changes to playoff selection (competitive equity) were pretty clearly meant to allow teams with less talent, less commitment, less success, and less resources to compete for championships. And looking at the results, it has worked. So whether you agree with the process, or even want to acknowledge why it was done, there isn't currently any motivation to change it (at least at the administrative level.)

So allowing Open teams to have a second chance by reslotting them in Division I completely goes against the motivation for putting those teams into the Open division in the first place. And this would also provide the perfect opportunity for tanking your first round playoff game! And why should it be limited to the Open teams? Why shouldn't first round losers in D1 be reslotted into DII, DII into DIII, and so on? Never going to happen.

The reason BOD is a year behind is the year they played too many games and weren't in the NCS postseason. NCS moves teams up based solely on performance in NCS playoffs, and it's a three-year total. Since BOD got zero one year, they're a year behind.

I seem to recall that the first year we had the Open Division there were only 6 teams from Southern California and everyone was upset that they were gaming the system. Now we were the ones to do it this year. Plus we are discussing ever more elaborate ways to stack the deck. Which means our secret committee not only has to rank the teams, it has devise a strategy to dupe SoCal. As if SoCal will not notice and come up with its own countermoves.

I really don't like the current system, but if the Open Division is supposed to have 8 teams, give it 8 teams and let the chips fall where they may. Play the games on the court, not in a back room somewhere.

I seem to recall that the first year we had the Open Division there were only 6 teams from Southern California and everyone was upset that they were gaming the system. Now we were the ones to do it this year. Plus we are discussing ever more elaborate ways to stack the deck. Which means our secret committee not only has to rank the teams, it has devise a strategy to dupe SoCal. As if SoCal will not notice and come up with its own countermoves.

I really don't like the current system, but if the Open Division is supposed to have 8 teams, give it 8 teams and let the chips fall where they may. Play the games on the court, not in a back room somewhere.

The open should have as many teams as realistically are available, with some a qualitative judgement.
I don't think you put 8 teams in even though we might " KNOW" a couple of these teams are cannon fodder. Makes no sense. Lets' be realistic about how we do things.

Very well stated. They actually should have verbiage in place which forces both So and Nor Cal to abide by the same guidelines.

Laguna Creek Sleeper. They young and will be getting better. They did start 5 freshman. Not the best team in SJS but they sure are on the up and up as long as they keep things together.

Reactions: kbrizzzle
Very well stated. They actually should have verbiage in place which forces both So and Nor Cal to abide by the same guidelines.

I am not sure you are familiar with the definition of " guidelines" . It means general rules, or piece of advice. In other words, It allows for flexibility.
You really can't believe Socal and Norcal are in the same situation. Socal has quadruple the population and far more good teams, especially on the boys end. ( Yes, It's the girls board )
We need to be realistic in this. Norcal should pick true open teams, not just add teams because a number is locked in. And guess what? The guidelines allow for this.

I am not sure you are familiar with the definition of " guidelines" . It means general rules, or piece of advice. In other words, It allows for flexibility.
You really can't believe Socal and Norcal are in the same situation. Socal has quadruple the population and far more good teams, especially on the boys end. ( Yes, It's the girls board )
We need to be realistic in this. Norcal should pick true open teams, not just add teams because a number is locked in. And guess what? The guidelines allow for this.

I appreciate the wishing of great hoops

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT