ADVERTISEMENT

Torrey Pines, Day 1

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Gym wifi-is nonexistent and the cellphone recption is pretty weak…. Not sure how well this is gonna work. I already moved way down to the end, closer to an open door in hopes of getting a decent signal…

Anyway, right now I am half-watching a lower-bracket game whilest I await the top-bracket games starting next.

Whaddaya know, my post went thru fairly quickly.

Anyway, this game features a pair of SoCal teams I don’t know a thing about, Mission Hills and San Juan Hills. Game has gotten a lil chippy after a guy got undercut and is out…. But just now heading to the scorr’s table to give it a go. Hope he’s ok…. Mission Hill has 7 guys total.

Mission Hills takes that one, 49-45.

First game in the National bracket is…. Cancelled. Covid strikes…. I am told that 5 teams of the 61 they had yesterday have dropped out due to Covid.

Fortunately for me, both Campo and their planned opponent are still here and set to play at 5:55.

Funny thing, I stopped at Denny’s this moring on the way here and met a basketball team there…. I asked who they were, and it turned out that they are Campo’s opponent, Oak Cliff Faith Family. So, at least I know they are here, and asked around to make sure Campo is…. And they are.

Reactions: espot
As a matter of fact…. I just looked up to see the Cougars taking advantage of the empty-court time to get up some shots.

Anywayyyy…. Next game is at 1-ish and features 5-1 Mitty vs. 12-1 Mira Costa of Manhattan Beach. Mitty is ranked a bit higher on Mxpreps, #56 over Mira Vista’s #65.

halftme of the Mitty game…. Tied at 25. Terrific game…

Yeah, my updates are gonna be really infrequent. The bad cell-data signal and wifi are just eating my phone battery something fierce.

53-46 final. 6-7 junior Derek Sangster, with 19 points, gets Player Of The Game honors.

Next up: Lincoln of Stockton vs. Hillcrest of Riverside. Hillcrest features a 7-1 junior named Dennis Evan who is getting 11ppg, 9 rpg, and 7 blocks per game.

Of course, I’m sure most at NorCalPreps know about Miles Byrd at Lincoln.

Lincoln is 6-1, Hillcrest is 5-7 against a tough schedule.

Looking a bit further at Hillcrest, it’s a very young team. I saw no seniors…. Their leading scorer is a soph and I believe a frshman starts.

Lincoln leads 15-13 after 1. I made a mistake earlier, Hillcrest does have a couple seniors, one of which starts…. Still overall a very young team, and most of their stats come from underclassmen.

Lincoln rolls, 86-60.

Miles Byrd is Player Of The Game with 24.

First play of the game was an alley-oop dunk by Byrd.

Next up, CVC vs. St. Mary’s of Arizona.

CVC is 6-2 while St. Mary’s is 3-2. However, St. Mary’s schedule has been a killer.

A casual observation looking at St. Mary’s warming up…. These dudes look legit.

St. Mary’s scored the first 4 of the 2nd quarter, threatening to run off…. But the Uglies had other ideas. Eventually, Dargan sank on from the dark side of the moon to tie, then next time down the Uglies ran the ol’ Alocco Special, backdoor for an easy layup…. Time out, St. Mary’s. Now 1:27 left in the half,

Reactions: concrete17
Half ends up tied at 26…. The most exciting game thus far in this bracket.

Wow…. Now it’s 53-51 Uglies, St. Mary’s ball with a time out…. They’ll be taking it in under the offensive baseline.

Next up, Campo vs. Faith Family of the Dallas area…. Looking forward to more excellence!

Just about to go here…. Phone now in Low Power Mode, let’s see how this works.

Shane O’Reilly gets in the act…. 20-16 Cougs.

Faith gets two inside. Then they get a stop, go on the break…. and Bennett takes a charge! 20-18.

Aidan drives around a screen for a layup…. Faith answers with an inside hoop…

Aidan takes a 35-footer at the quarter buzzer…. Looks good in the air, but just off. 22-20 Cougs at the quarter.

Faith scores the first four of the 2nd, but Cade ties it at 24 with a turnaround midrange J.

27-26 Cougs now, 4:442 left in the half…

Faith steal and runout, taking the lead.

Faith with another stop, then they nail a 3. Time out Cougs, 31-27 Faith, 3:45 left in the half.

Cade down the left side with a layup, but Faith’s #5 with a FEROCIOUS dunk! 33-29.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT