ADVERTISEMENT

Two locals picked in WNBA Draft

Maybe I'll look into that if I can ever find an Aidan Mahaney jersey first. :)

Actually, the only jerseys I have are a Jason Kidd Cal replica and a Jason Kidd Dallas replica (from when he was a rookie).

Oh, and a Charles Barkley Phoenix T-shirt. It's a "turrible" fit. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Streak One
I support WNBA but Women need to support the WNBA more. If they bought a $30 season pass and some team apparel the franchises can afford to pay these women more money.
more women go to nba games than to wnba games. also, all the talk online and people saying pay more NEVER buy the merch, go to the games, and the such. there just are not enough women who care about sports to make it profitable. i see women all over oakland/san leandro wearing golden state warriors stuff. never see them wearing new york liberty

Reactions: GBBall4L
I think the focus on the money and comparing it to the NBA is the wrong way to go about it. It needs to organically grow, which I think it is right now. But the WNBA is still a fairly young league. Trying to turbo charge the money leads to leagues not being sustainable.

Also, womens interest in women's basketball is a big topic to look at

Reactions: Mustange76
No idea what"4-six" is... and you have definitely said you went to Crenshaw in the past, more than once on this forum.

But yeah... I get the CEO thing. Bigger company, makes tons of money, pays bigger: If Maserati pays their CEO and other top bosses the kind of money that the Hyundai bosses get, Maserati dies a quick death.

No idea what"4-six" is... and you have definitely said you went to Crenshaw in the past, more than once on this forum.

But yeah... I get the CEO thing. Bigger company, makes tons of money, pays bigger: If Maserati pays their CEO and other top bosses the kind of money that the Hyundai bosses get, Maserati dies a quick death.
i was correcting him on my neighborhood.

Reactions: kiddman32

i thought he was set trippin.. my bad... from a different cloth in LA

Remember the NBA had many lean years, playing preliminary games to the Harlem Globetrotters, and scheduling doubleheaders in many cities to spike attendance. Then...Bird & Magic, MJ, television, and now 24/7 social media, etc. Hopefully, the WNBA can continue their grassroots efforts and take advantage of the popularity of today's women's college game. However, allowing women to enter the WNBA after one-year in college would be a mistake. The fact we are having this discussion in 2024 is a POSITIVE. Enjoy the game!

Remember the NBA had many lean years, playing preliminary games to the Harlem Globetrotters, and scheduling doubleheaders in many cities to spike attendance. Then...Bird & Magic, MJ, television, and now 24/7 social media, etc. Hopefully, the WNBA can continue their grassroots efforts and take advantage of the popularity of today's women's college game. However, allowing women to enter the WNBA after one-year in college would be a mistake. The fact we are having this discussion in 2024 is a POSITIVE. Enjoy the game!
you forgot the warriors... they have whole nations in asia buying curry shirts. as well people in the south and east coast who all the sudden are warrior fans

So all the talk about growing women's basketball ... consider these NFHS participation numbers:

NFHS Participation Surveys

2022-23: Basketball – 373,366

Volleyball – 470,488

2018-19: Basketball – 399,067

Volleyball – 452,808

2012-13: Basketball – 433,120

Volleyball – 420,208

but you dont need the high school players. you need the world to start watching, buying, and more buying and more watching.

half the people who go to nba games or watch them never played basketball after 7th grade.

So all the talk about growing women's basketball ... consider these NFHS participation numbers:

NFHS Participation Surveys

2022-23: Basketball – 373,366

Volleyball – 470,488

2018-19: Basketball – 399,067

Volleyball – 452,808

2012-13: Basketball – 433,120

Volleyball – 420,208
I think these numbers speak to losing some potential top athletes to other sports which is a concern. Baseball went through a similar issue and is starting to bounce back slightly.

But I don't think the HS participation has a direct connection to interest in women's college basketball and the WNBA

I'm old enough to remember when the NBA finals were played TAPE DELAYED after the 11pm news.

Then came along Magic and Bird and everything changed.

1946 to 1980 was alot of ho hum viewership. 34 yrs....

Is Caitlin Clark the women's version of Magic /Bird in that she has supercharged the interest and viewership similar to what Bird/Magic did back in the day? The WNBA started in 1997...so 27 yrs now...actually ahead of the NBA pace.

Just sayin... 🤷

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remeber when the NBA finals were played TAPE DELAYED after the 11pm news.

Is Caitlin Clark the women's version of Magic /Bird in that she has supercharged the interest and viewership similar to what Bird/Magic did back in the day? The WNBA started in 1997...so 27 yrs now...actually ahead of the NBA pace.

Just sayin... 🤷
how many jerseys did everyone on here buy? sweatshirts? tickets to games in LA or LV?

I'm old enough to remeber when the NBA finals were played TAPE DELAYED after the 11pm news.

Just sayin... 🤷
I think this is spot on. People in general want things others have now without recognizing the time it took to get to that level. I don't know if the WNBA will ever reach the NBA level, but they are in a good spot for being 27 years in

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Even after the Magic/Bird era, playoff games were on delay, if I remember correctly... Seems to me a late-night playoff delayed broadcast was pre-empted by a slow white Bronco...

That changed permanently with MJ.

Even after the Magic/Bird era, playoff games were on delay, if I remember correctly... Seems to me a late-night playoff delayed broadcast was pre-empted by a slow white Bronco...

That changed permanently with MJ.
us in los angeles were completely removed from the finals game. the nbc station showed the chase on full screen.

The Fever game at LA is sold out, fyi...

And the cheapest tix for Vegas are $182 for nosebleed seats.

So somebody is buying WNBA tix, at least for Fever games...

WNBA League Pass to see all the games, live and on demand, is $34.99. I'm thinking about that one...

Reactions: northbaybbguru
how many jerseys did everyone on here buy? sweatshirts? tickets to games in LA or LV?
I've never been a buyer of sports jerseys my entire life. I think the only 1 I ever bout was 49er Fred Dean back in the day when I was in HS ...lol

BUT when I lived in Vegas I would go to the Orleans and watch the tournaments and conference championships every year. LOVED that!!!

Reactions: ankleassassin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT