ADVERTISEMENT

University-SF #2 in NCS MaxPreps ranking

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
24-3, currently blasting a hole in the D4 playoffs...

Assuming they finish D4 off, where will they be placed in NorCals?

I doubt Open, but D1? D2?

Discuss...

D2.

I'm not a fan of competitive equity. Personally I think a team should only be allowed to move up or down one division. Why reward a mediocre D1 school, with a chance to win a D3/D4 state championship? It makes little sense, and disadvantages a small school that is having a great year from making a run in Norcals/State tournament. Similarly, why punish a D4 school like University from going for that D4 State Championship, if that's what they want to do (not saying that's what they want). Sure, let them move up to D1/D2 if they want to play the best, but if not, I think a one division move up or down is the most that should be warranted.

I liked what they were doing during my years up in Oregon...

They paired up similar-sized schools in each league, and the league itself was what determined the level in the playoffs. This way, everyone knew what they were aiming for at the START of the season. ie. if you were in a 4A (6A is highest) league, that's the playoff level you went to if good enough.

The leagues would be re-aligned if necessary every couple of years, to deal with the issue of schools getting larger or smaller due to population shifts, etc.

There were a few exceptions, such as small privates petitioning to be placed in a larger league, but once again that kind of thing was determined when the leagues were set up during a re-alignment period. I know of one new private some 15-20 years ago that would have been in a 1A (smallest schools) league based on their size, but they asked to be placed in a league a couple divisions higher, 3A. But that kind of thing is rare.

Don’t sleep on Justin Siena. They aren’t chop liver
@winetot
Larry - Justin-Siena has to beat a very good Ygnacio Valley team tonight. Justin-Siena struggled against the one common opponent they share with University(not from their league) I have seen University a few times and I say they will be placed in D1 in NorCal if they win the section.

Last edited:
Nobody dislikes University more than me.

I think they’ve earned an open division opportunity in CIF.

Now will they be able to beat the likes of De La Salle, Granada, etc….probably not

But they’ve earned a chance to be considered.

We need to take care of the ball and not allow big runs. Their floor spacing is very good and they play incredibly hard on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we can stay within 30.

We need to take care of the ball and not allow big runs. Their floor spacing is very good and they play incredibly hard on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we can stay within 30.
Kezar pavilion! What a special place. Kids who can’t dunk will be throwing them down in warmups. One of my favorite places. You guys will be fine.

UHS and Branson should be D-1. They have both continually gotten stronger over the last 5 years. Love to see a rematch of the NCS D-5 title from …2017 ? At Kezar. Unfinished business for UHS.

Dunking at Kezar…I put one down in warmups in 1985. I was so excited but just played it off. Next day at lunch a kid came by and said ..Dude you dunked last night..sweet. When you are 13th guy that is a top 3 high school moment.

D2.

I'm not a fan of competitive equity. Personally I think a team should only be allowed to move up or down one division. Why reward a mediocre D1 school, with a chance to win a D3/D4 state championship? It makes little sense, and disadvantages a small school that is having a great year from making a run in Norcals/State tournament. Similarly, why punish a D4 school like University from going for that D4 State Championship, if that's what they want to do (not saying that's what they want). Sure, let them move up to D1/D2 if they want to play the best, but if not, I think a one division move up or down is the most that should be warranted.
I 100% agree!

Nobody dislikes University more than me.

I think they’ve earned an open division opportunity in CIF.

Now will they be able to beat the likes of De La Salle, Granada, etc….probably not

But they’ve earned a chance to be considered.
University is good but they aren't Open worthy IMHO. SRV beat them by 20 early in the season plus they lost to Lincoln (SF). I suspect University will be placed in mid-low D1 or more probably a top seed in D2 assuming they beat Justin.

Reactions: ayalar09
University gets rewarded for a 28-3 season by getting seeded 14 in D1 and gets a matchup against Jesuit.

Talk about competitive equity shafting a team. And remember they are my alma maters chief rival…..and even I feel bad for them!

University gets rewarded for a 28-3 season by getting seeded 14 in D1 and gets a matchup against Jesuit.

Talk about competitive equity shafting a team. And remember they are my alma maters chief rival…..and even I feel bad for them!
Just Said same thing. Brutal. University will compete well against Jesuit . No doubt but it’s a tall task.

But how about Jesuit getting seeded #3 in d1 after going to finals is SJS. Folsom gets a #2 seed after losing to WR.

Just Said same thing. Brutal. University will compete well against Jesuit . No doubt but it’s a tall task.

But how about Jesuit getting seeded #3 in d1 after going to finals is SJS. Folsom gets a #2 seed after losing to WR.
Didn’t Folsom beat Jesuit in regular season?

Didn’t Folsom beat Jesuit in regular season?
Yes, Without Andrej. And Rio beat Folsom without a couple Folsom starters. But Jesuit just went thru Monterey Trail, Capital, and Weston Ranch to get to finals. Most including me saw them as open team.

Last edited:

Didn't University Beat SI, Serra and SHC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT